• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

braves01

Banned
I'm a little less worried about this game after watching the GT review, but it definitely seems like a very divisive game--even more so than the Prime series. And the scripting while bad doesn't seem much worse than most other games.

Amir0x

Banned
Not surprised it seems like a low tier Metroid game based on the reviews, pretty much exactly what I had suspected and feared based on the team behind it and the ideas they were implementing.

excitement back to dwindling >_<

.la1n

As far as I can tell no sequence breaking, I will see what I can figure out though. My personal view on the game is that it is worth purchasing when it comes down in price, for a full retail product it is not worth your $50.00 + tax whatever. As a metroid game it certaintly is not worth your money.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Last few reviews are looking better. Aside from a few of the low ones, it's getting a pretty solid reception so I feel at ease now. I consider myself a free thinker of sorts, but I'd be lying if negative reviews didn't have ANY impact on my feelings towards a game. All I hoped for in this case is a overall positive reception, which is what it's getting, so I'm a happy camper.
Now let's just get this stupid weekend over with so we can play the damned game.

So from the reviews this is Metroid Fusion in 3D, not Super in 3D as I expected. And as Sakomoto already said.

It won't be Super or Prime quality, probably, but if it's on the same level of Fusion, I will still love it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Combine said:
Why the hell didn't they get Jennifer Hale to voice Samus? She would have been perfect for the role (She already did Samus' grunts and screams in the Prime series). She could have done her Commander Shepherd routine from Mass Effect and it'd work better than what I heard in the GameTrailers review.
Problem is, I don't think Hale wouldn't done well with the typical Japanese mecha-female script.

Amir0x

Banned
markot said:
What is harder to please then a metroid fan >.>?

Pleasing a Metroid fan should be easy

- Sequence Breaking
- Sense of Isolation
- Good Exploration/Hidden secrets (THAT AREN'T GIVEN AWAY BY A MAP)
- Classic sense of Samus Aran power progression

Sounds like this game has some, but not all the prerequisites

StAidan

Gilgamesh said:
I'm pretty sure like 80% of the reviews say that it holds true to Metroid spirit and appeal. It just has a shitty story.

There are 2 major aspects that kill it for me... the story being one, the linearity being the other.

From the standpoint of atmosphere (and even controls), it does seem very Metroid, from what I've seen in trailers. I just don't consider that to be enough :/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Amir0x said:
Not surprised it seems like a low tier Metroid game based on the reviews, pretty much exactly what I had suspected and feared based on the team behind it and the ideas they were implementing.

excitement back to dwindling >_<
A rental perhaps. I know if I like what I see I'm trading in some games towards it. Metroid has never been about cheese though so I hope the product as a whole can have some merit for a Metroid fan.

So the biggest issues are that the story is animu ( and according to G4 Samus is tooo girly...) and that they wish that they could have nunchuck controls.

Well then I look like I will enjoy this. I didn't have a super nintendo so I never was big into the metroid series ( I did like what I played of Prime3 and Metroid 2) but day 1.

farnham

Banned
Dascu said:
A Zelda fan.
pleasing a zelda fan is easy

link, zelda, ganondorf, master sword
forest temple, fire temple, water temple..
boomerang, bombs, hookshot..

put those in and you will win.

Knux-Future said:
So the biggest issues are that the story is animu ( and according to G4 Samus is tooo girly...) and that they wish that they could have nunchuck controls.

Well then I look like I will enjoy this. I didn't have a super nintendo so I never was big into the metroid series ( I did like what I played of Prime3 and Metroid 2) but day 1.
thats the biggest

i believe if they just made an optional nunchuck mode the game would have received way better scores

Boney

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
*compliments*
Suck on that bitches!

It's a shame Japanese isn't included in the disc. Not a huge anime fan, but it has to be seen in Japanase. And since Other M since like a standard anime storyline, english doesn't really suit it.

I'm still upset about the GI review, since the guy was playing it as wrong as he could be.

Amir0x said:
It does have other stuff as well though, but some are conflicting with Metroidness.

Knux-Future said:

I suggest you pick up Super Metroid on the virtual console. To me, it is the apex of game design. It's a game that everyone must play in their lifetime.

heringer

Amir0x said:
Pleasing a Metroid fan should be easy

- Sequence Breaking
- Sense of Isolation
- Good Exploration/Hidden secrets (THAT AREN'T GIVEN AWAY BY A MAP)
- Classic sense of Samus Aran power progression

So not even Super completely pleased Metroid fans?

Damn!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Gilgamesh said:
I just watched the G4 review, and I know it's just their running gag for scores, but "two massive thumbs down out of five" is retarded. More thumbs down would mean it was worse. :lol

Simply a reference to the incredibly dumb "thumbs down" motif in the story, not intended for use as a value metric.

Also, for all the people bitching about Morgan hating on the game/Nintendo, I wrote the video review, so there was no feminist agenda being pushed. Just a Metroid fan horribly disappointed in a game that is almost devoid of redeeming features.

I totally understand that the Metroid fans are going to have to play this for themselves. I certainly would, even after reading negative opinions on it. But my very sincere advice would be to rent it, because you might hate it. It's the only Metroid game I've ever disliked, even including Hunters.

Sipowicz

Banned
G4/GI/1up giving a terrible score to a wii game isn't really indicative of anything other than they're reviewing a wii game. Those outlets are not exactly known for their objectivity or the quality of their reviews.

i normally stick to GiantBomb/Eurogamer/Edge/Gamespot and so far so good with those dudes

Poyunch

Man I really hate G4.

Sipowicz said:
G4/GI/1up giving a terrible score to a wii game isn't really indicative of anything other than they're reviewing a wii game. Those outlets are not exactly known for their objectivity or the quality of their reviews.

i normally stick to GiantBomb/Eurogamer/Edge/Gamespot and so far so good with those dudes
The 1Up one was interesting though since Other M's gotten some pretty good impressions from them.

Amir0x

Banned
Sipowicz said:

it's fanboy conspiracy time again with host Sipowicz

farnham

Banned
Sipowicz said:

G4 and GI okay

but 1up ? really ?

Boney

Banned
MattKeil said:
I totally understand that the Metroid fans are going to have to play this for themselves. I certainly would, even after reading negative opinions on it. But my very sincere advice would be to rent it, because you might hate it. It's the only Metroid game I've ever disliked, even including Hunters.
bold words my man.

btw, I always thought the thumbs down was like a military salute, not Samus being stupid.
Oh Sakamoto :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
1up gave Wii Music an A-. They can't be that harsh on the system.

...but either way I don't think we should throw around accusations of platform bias, it's kind of childish (and pointless) in my opinion.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Sipowicz said:

Sorry, the platform had nothing to do with the horrible characterization of Samus. It did have plenty to do with the horrible view-switching mechanic, because that probably would work fine on a non-motion controller, but it's Nintendo's job to make that kind of thing functional, and they failed. Metroid Prime 3 controlled well, and the Prime Trilogy collection adapted the GCN games well. It was a bad move to jettison that if they were going to insist on keeping first-person in the game.

********** had similar complaints about the handling of Samus as a female protagonist. I recommend reading the review.

edit: Well, I guess it's not allowed here.

Mafro

Kohler and Parish's reviews were the only ones I was interested in. Unfortunately Parish didn't do the 1UP review, so the Wired review is the only one I've read so far. I might read the Eurogamer one later.

Poyunch

Mafro said:
Kohler and Parish's reviews were the only ones I was interested in. Unfortunately Parish didn't do the 1UP review, so the Wired review is the only one I've read so far. I might read the Eurogamer one later.
Ah no wonder.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
1up review: B-

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181105

1up: "But the focus on the weak narrative bogs down what is otherwise an intense, action-focused game. If you can ignore the constant cut-scene interruptions, Other M shows the white-knuckle excitement you can still feel from a single-player only side-scrolling adventure."

*Sigh* So the weak narrative is hampering this otherwise, solid and good action game. :(

The story must be horrendous to knock it down almost two letter grades.

Boney

Banned
MattKeil said:
Sorry, the platform had nothing to do with the horrible characterization of Samus. It did have plenty to do with the horrible view-switching mechanic, because that probably would work fine on a non-motion controller, but it's Nintendo's job to make that kind of thing functional, and they failed. Metroid Prime 3 controlled well, and the Prime Trilogy collection adapted the GCN games well. It was a bad move to jettison that if they were going to insist on keeping first-person in the game.
Did you take in consideration what they were trying to accomplish with the single remote controls?

I'm not saying it vindicates them in any way, but it's certainly an important angle..

It was a pain in the ass in SPM, so I'm certain it's gonna be the same here.

Don't understand movement complains.. I always thought of it as the X-Visor from Super. I guess it works worse in 3d.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
markot said:

A nice review. sum up for those who care:

The Good

* Interesting new take on the series
* Beautiful graphics, memorable scenes
* Combat is satisfying and varied
* Story that adds to the Metroid mythos
* We dive deeper into the character of Samus Aran

The Bad

* It's possible to get stuck with no clear path forward *
* The way new weapons and abilities are unlocked is ridiculous
* Without being able to select weapons manually, things are a little simpler
* The voice acting and script have a few cringe-inducing moments
* The issue of Samus being a woman is hit a little harder than needed

The Ugly

* The fans squabbling over the change in direction. Hell, the series survived first-person and motion controls, didn't it?

* I have this problem with every Metroid game ever.

markot said:

The Bad
It's possible to get stuck with no clear path forward

1267339048999.gif

daakusedo

If Sakamoto continue with his idea, the next Metroid, surely after fusion should be more frightening to the people who just want the super metroid style.
The end of fusion is pretty clear on that.

hyduK

Banned
I'm so glad they decided to give us another action game as opposed to one focused on exploration.

/sarcasm

Should have left the series in Retro's hands, or at least given it to a developer other than Team Ninja.

farnham

Banned
daakusedo said:
If Sakamoto continue with his idea, the next Metroid, surely after fusion should be more frightening to the people who just want the super metroid style.
The end of fusion is pretty clear on that.
i can only hope the next metroid will be called prime 4

gogojira

The level of hate/love/defense/attacks this game brings in every thread must be some sort of record breaker.

It sounds like a quality, Fusion-inspired Metroid game that doesn't outdo Super Metroid -- big surprise there. I've got a hunch that how much you enjoyed Fusion might directly relate to how much you'll enjoy Other M; just a hunch (the size of a mountain).

I do think that many of the things likely hurting its scores could have been easily fixed, forced story being chief among them. And while I think I'll be able to adapt, I'll never understand Sakamoto's insistence on going Wiimote sideways only, mostly because there is 3D movement in the game.

I'm still extremely stoked to get my hands on Other M, and I'm sure I'll dig the experience. Guess we'll see Tuesday.

Beth Cyra

Hmm the some of the reviews seem cool.

Honestly not a dig against the reviewers but considering some of these people/sites/mags gave high marks and didn't complain about games with god awful stories like God Of War III I am not really up to taking there word on what is a good/bad story.

That said as far the game goes almost all of them say that part is great so I am certainly still excited.

Top Bottom