• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

MaddenNFL64

farnham said:
the backlash is not bad

japan is all about famitsu and they gave it a good score

also even in america g4 is not as influential as gamespot or ign

if anything bad sales will kill a future collaboration. and to be honest i dont see this one doing all to well

Metroid's previous ceiling is 2.2 million or thereabouts. If this can get anywhere near that, maybe Nintendo will just shrug their shoulders & try again.

Door2Dawn said:
The game isn't related to prime. How is it a step back?

What are you talking about its not related to Prime? It's a Metroid game...

And a poorer one in pretty much everyway by the sounds of things. Bleh.

EDIT: You edited your post.

Door2Dawn said:
A interesting statement to make for someone who probably hasn't played the game.

Oh come on man. Watching a live stream for like 2 hours is more than enough for me....

farnham

Banned
wsippel said:
Disagreement I think. The story isn't bad from what I've played. It's pretty consistent and there are some nice twists here and there. And it's actually well told. There are some plot devices that get blown out of proportion, but even the authorization stuff partially makes sense, especially if you've actually seen the intro. Samus decides to join a military operation, so she has to follow orders or leave the scene. And Adam doesn't want her to use abilities that might cause collateral damage. That makes perfect sense for large parts of her arsenal. It does not make sense for suit upgrades or harmless stuff like the grappling beam, though, so that's one of the (rare) facepalm moments in the game.
Yeah i mean does the fact that she is a legendary bounty hunter give her the authority to dissobey her contractors. which is the army.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Metroid's previous ceiling is 2.2 million or thereabouts. If this can get anywhere near that, maybe Nintendo will just shrug their shoulders & try again.

i believe they will give it another go if it reaches anything near MP1 or 3 numbers

Tricky I Shadow said:
Oh come on man. Watching a live stream for like 2 hours is more than enough for me....
:lol :lol :lol

DaBuddaDa

Remember everyone: a game that is showered with 8s and 9s from reviewers is not worth your time and most likely a shitty game. Avoid like the plague!!!!

Johann

MechaX said:
If Other M sells the best out of the Metroid titles, I really, really, really doubt that Sakamoto would even care. Plus, prior interviews did imply that Sakamoto was quite proud of the story, even to the point where one scene literally "brought him to tears."

With that said, I do wish that Sakamoto would have realized that making a game story in this day and age is a little bit different than making a story on systems with limited technology. If you have a budget, you can't just throw money into making extravagant scenes without how to properly tell a story in a setting where you'd need good scene direction, voice acting, script, etc, and expect it to turn out okay especially if you've never done such before.

Sure, the problem is that Nintendo isn't really used to this kind of story-telling as a whole. But I'm not saying that they shouldn't have tried. Hell, I appreciate the fact that they tried despite how disastrous it turned out. I merely wished they either used the strengths of typical Nintendo story-telling or simply got a hold of some one who was actually used to telling stories in a MGS-esque cutscene fashion before just throwing Sakamoto out there and throwing him a couple million-yen budget.

He said as much in his Iwata Asks section. If Sakamoto had the budget, technology, and creative control he had now, then Super Metroid would be a very different game from what we played. The limitations he faced at the time forced him to rely on some hidden strengths that made Super Metroid a most beloved game.

The interesting thing is that Sakamoto's biggest successes are smaller, gameplay oriented projects which have little or no story. Metroid Other M is different from most of is past games (and most of Nintendo's games) in that Sakamoto said that the game design centered around the story rather than the gameplay. Inronically, the success of Friends Collection and Rhythm Heaven may have given Sakamoto a blank check to do Other M.

All of this reminds me of some talented indie film directors who finally get a good budget to do their dream film. Instead of leveraging the money into their strengths, they spend it on areas in which they have little experience or talent. If anything, Sakamoto should have hired a talented writer (and there are talented Japanese novelists working i.e. Kiyoshi Shigematsu) to write or at least help edit the story while he concentrated on gameplay.

MechaX

farnham said:
i was talking about MGS1 though

Solid Snake always says to meryl that he is no match for the legends that surround him and that he is just an ordinary guy.

Forgot about that little exchange. But that's still at a similar situation to his exchange with Raiden over the subject (only without the fighting for a cause factor). After the events of MG2, Snake was a bit bloated in terms of fame that did kinda overshadow him as a person. I see your point, but Snake really only brought that subject up with Meryl once or twice.

wsipple said:
Disagreement I think. The story isn't bad from what I've played. It's pretty consistent and there are some nice twists here and there. And it's actually well told. There are some plot devices that get blown out of proportion, but even the authorization stuff partially makes sense, especially if you've actually seen the intro. Samus decides to join a military operation, so she has to follow orders or leave the scene. And Adam doesn't want her to use abilities that might cause collateral damage. That makes perfect sense for large parts of her arsenal. It does not make sense for suit upgrades or harmless stuff like the grappling beam, though, so that's one of the (rare) facepalm moments in the game.

This is one of those situations where the realism of the situation conflict with the best interests of game design. (Specifically, a scenario can make logical sense, but still not be in the best interests of promoting something good from a gameplay perspective). In a looser example, a character may not realistically be able to carry an attache case with dozens of guns and ammo, but it wouldn't be very fun to play if he had limited space for his items in a "realistic fashion."

Even then, one of the authorization examples makes me scratch my head.
Namely, the part where you evidently have to go through three high-temperature rooms and only after the fact does Adam authorize the Varia Suit.
And in a story-sense, the writers could have tip-toed the entire "thou must follow Adam's orders!" mentality by having the top-brass just... hire Samus to do things at her own discretion independent of interference like they've been doing for the past seven Metroid titles that chronologically took place earlier.

Gattsu25 said:
Watching the game's presentation and gameplay for 120 minutes is not enough to form an opinion.

What a stupid thing to say.....so if I didn't like what I saw, playing it is miraculously going to make me love it?

Yeah, I’m done here. Some of you guys are seriously not making any sense and it’s not worth my time at all.

LowParry

Tricky I Shadow said:
What a stupid thing to say.....so if I didn't like what I saw, playing it is miraculously going to make me love it?

Yeah, I’m done here. Some of you guys are seriously not making any sense and it’s not worth my time at all.

I guess one way to look at is, you don't know what to expect after that 2 hours of play you've watched. Mabye it's a FFXIII situation where it starts out dull and boring to holy shit, this is awesome kind of deal.

Tricky I Shadow said:

I don't know, common sense would say that you won't know if you like a game until you actually play it yourself, but you know yourself better than anyone else would.

MechaX

CcrooK said:
I guess one way to look at is, you don't know what to expect after that 2 hours of play you've watched. Mabye it's a FFXIII situation where it starts out dull and boring to holy shit, this is awesome kind of deal.

... But FFXIII took 25 hours to get awesome.

And even then, it dragged me back to corridor gameplay kicking and screaming about 10 hours later.

farnham

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:

whoop dee do i watched 2 hours of starcraft 2 replays

now i know everything about the game!

wsippel

Banned
MechaX said:
This is one of those situations where the realism of the situation conflict with the best interests of game design. (Specifically, a scenario can make logical sense, but still not be in the best interests of promoting something good from a gameplay perspective). In a looser example, a character may not realistically be able to carry an attache case with dozens of guns and ammo, but it wouldn't be very fun to play if he had limited space for his items in a "realistic fashion."

Even then, one of the authorization examples makes me scratch my head.
Namely, the part where you evidently have to go through three high-temperature rooms and only after the fact does Adam authorize the Varia Suit.
And in a story-sense, the writers could have tip-toed the entire "thou must follow Adam's orders!" mentality by having the top-brass just... hire Samus to do things at her own discretion independent of interference like they've been doing for the past seven Metroid titles that chronologically took place earlier.
Simply losing you whole arsenal in a facepalm moment early in the game does the same and makes even less sense. Having all your abilities from the get go isn't exactly fun, either.

If she was contracted to deal with the situation on her own, you'd need to come up with different - and probably even worse - explanation for losing the abilities.

Solune

Tricky I Shadow said:

You saw and you remembered.

You didn't do, so you don't understand.

see now there's another thing FFXIII ruined: slow openings in games

once upon a time if you had a slow opening in a good game most people still recognized that it was entirely serviceable or even pretty good, just not as great as the rest of the game

now thanks to a generation emotionally scarred by FFXIII, nobody can hear those words without imagining 20 hours of shit

robor

MechaX said:
... But FFXIII took 25 hours to get awesome.

And even then, it dragged me back to corridor gameplay kicking and screaming about 10 hours later.

Exactly. That game fails because it TAKES 25 hours. A game should be awesome within the first 5 minutes.

farnham

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
see now there's another thing FFXIII ruined: slow openings in games

once upon a time if you had a slow opening in a good game most people still recognized that it was entirely serviceable or even pretty good, just not as great as the rest of the game

now thanks to a generation emotionally scarred by FFXIII, nobody can hear those words without imagining 20 hours of shit
zelda tp had a pretty boring opening too (i liked it btw).

but it wasnt like the half of the actual game

MechaX

wsippel said:
Simply losing you whole arsenal in a facepalm moment early in the game does the same and makes even less sense. Having all your abilities from the get go isn't exactly fun, either.

If she was contracted to deal with the situation on her own, you'd need to come up with different - and probably even worse - explanation for losing the abilities.

Outside of her just... not having her powers at the beginning of some games (my two theories are that part of her Galactic Federation contracts include her turning over her weapons at the conclusion of missions to make sure that she's not a walking WMD, which Other M kinda debunks, or that she voluntarily turns over her weapons to the Federation to advance their technology, which Fusion kinda supports), the only real facepalm moment of her losing her powers was in Metroid Prime 1.

Prime 2 and Fusion offer perfectly valid reasons to why her powers were lost (them being flat out stolen and her entire suit needing to be surgically removed due to infection).

In terms of providing an alternative to item collection rather than authorization, they could have just branched out more by what Fusion did; instead of having inexplicable Chozo artifacts everywhere like Dr. Light's capsules, just have the Federation send them to data-rooms that Samus would have to find on her own as opposed to being guided to most of them (and get other power ups directly from bosses just like in Prime 1/2/3 and Fusion).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
As for her reasons for losing her powers I guess though as silly as they are they needed an arbitrary way for it to happen and this was it.

it's just the G4TV review didn't shed anymore light on the game in regards to how it plays etc, I found Eurogamer/IGN/Kotaku more informative

Gattsu25

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:

I agree. It IS a stupid thing to say. Not quite as insipid as the "If you play for 60hours you will appreciate" meme but along the same lines.

You have watched the approximation of 240 commercials for the game. Of course you have formed your own opinion of the game after that length of viewing!

I have formed my opinion on most of the games released with substantially less media intake and so has everyone else in this thread whether they'll cop to it now or not.

Perhaps I should have worded my post a bit better or added a ;) at the end to indicate that I was joking with that stupid line of reasoning. I was playing devil's advocate while stating what I thought was a unrealistic extrapolation of that argument. I'm a little shocked that others agreed with my sarcastic and hyperbolic rendering of that argument.

You are entirely in your right to feel that 'physically holding a controller and playing a game is required to form an opinion' is bullshit, plain and simple. It is still the *quickest* way to tell if a game jives with you, but it is surely not the *only* way.

zoukka got what I was going for. I'm probably just too fucking passive aggressive.

kiryogi

Banned
Just saw the credits roll. Sort of amusing. So aside from our new Samus here. 2 of the NOA localization folks had some roles too :lol Leslie Swan did the Bottleships PA. Nate Bihldorff was that dork in the beginning during the tutorial that everyone frowns about for his acting XD

kiryogi said:
Just saw the credits roll. Sort of amusing. So aside from our new Samus here. 2 of the NOA localization folks had some roles too :lol Leslie Swan did the Bottleships PA. Nate Bihldorff was that dork in the beginning during the tutorial that everyone frowns about for his acting XD
keep watching

wsippel said:

I really hated it when each Metroid game started out with Samus back at square one regarding her powerups. The new Batman game (Arkham City) supposedly has Batman start off with the items he gained in Arkham Asylum and building onto those items with new gadgets designed for the new game. I'd prefer it if Metroid started building from this template rather than the one they've been using for the last 20 odd years cos at least then we'd feel Samus progressing with each game (Corruption was a start in the right direction!).

upandaway

I think it's crazy that some of you say he has to play the game in order to form an opinion about it. The ability to know what you want based on videos is essential if you don't want to waste your money 50% of your game purchases.

Red

wackojackosnose said:
I really hated it when each Metroid game started out with Samus back at square one regarding her powerups. The new Batman game (Arkham City) supposedly has Batman start off with the items he gained in Arkham Asylum and building onto those items with new gadgets designed for the new game. I'd prefer it if Metroid started building from this template rather than the one they've been using for the last 20 odd years cos at least then we'd feel Samus progressing with each game (Corruption was a start in the right direction!).
Samus becomes the most devastating of all video game characters by the end of most of her games. Surely there must be some sort of step progression from the beginning of each. How can you design a game in which you start with 20 energy tanks, have 255 missiles, can essentially fly thanks to the space jump, etc? From my perspective, the point of many of her powers is to facilitate exploration, and the last few she gathers basically allow her to traverse every area of whatever planet or ship she's on. They're meant to open up the world. I'm not saying it's impossible to design the sort of game you propose, but it would have to be very different from what we've seen so far.

Even if the world was artificially limited
not that they haven't been so far :lol
, necessitating the use of new, additional powers to explore further, the same basic problem is presented. It's just illusory. There would simply be new restrictions introduced that created the same obstacles to overcome.

robor

upandaway said:
I think it's crazy that some of you say he has to play the game in order to form an opinion about it. The ability to know what you want based on videos is essential if you don't want to waste your money 50% of your game purchases.

It's like going into the cinema and watching a trailer that didn't impress you. But oh wait, you need to see the entire movie first!!! Ah yea....no.

robor said:
It's like going into the cinema and watching a trailer that didn't impress you. But oh wait, you need to see the entire movie first!!! Ah yea....no.

This ignores the big draw of a video game is its interactive aspects. I've fallen asleep watching people play games that I enjoy. I enjoy grinding in Final Fantasy IX, but somebody watching would be bored to death of watching me fight enemies over and over to grind for ability points.

farnham

Banned
upandaway said:
yes you can form an opinion about a game by reading the title of the game too.

but if you are comparing game A (in this case metroid prime) to game B (other m) and claiming that one is a massive step back to the other i believe you have to either play both and form that opinion or just judge both games off of some trailers. why ? because its unfair to the game that you have not even played.

Crunched said:
Samus becomes the most devastating of all video game characters by the end of most of her games. Surely there must be some sort of step progression from the beginning of each. How can you design a game in which you start with 20 energy tanks, have 255 missiles, can essentially fly thanks to the space jump, etc? From my perspective, the point of many of her powers is to facilitate exploration, and the last few she gathers basically allow her to traverse every area of whatever planet or ship she's on. They're meant to open up the world. I'm not saying it's impossible to design the sort of game you propose, but it would have to be very different from what we've seen so far.

Even if the world was artificially limited, necessitating the use of new powers to explore further, the same basic problem is presented. It's just illusory.
She probably couldn't keep stuff like health and excess missiles (broken game otherwise), but I did like that Corruption started off with the double jump which is probably one of the more important items used in the game. Even then, with the few minor concessions that Corruption gave out at the start of the game (double jump, morph ball, bombs), it sped up the pacing of the game without making me feel like I was just repeating the other games by picking up the most basic powerups from older games again (e.g. MP2).

robor

mugurumakensei said:
This ignores the big draw of a video game is its interactive aspects. I've fallen asleep watching people play games that I enjoy. I enjoy grinding in Final Fantasy IX, but somebody watching would be bored to death of watching me fight enemies over and over to grind for ability points.

So people can only gauge how a game plays by actually playing it? It's not hard to draw conclusions on how a game plays with out playing it. Seeing as we've been using tactile response controllers for over 30 years now.

robor said:
I mean, I think that's good enough for a cursory decision about whether or not you are likely to like something, but it's hardly foolproof and it certainly doesn't give you the knowledge necessary to discuss the particulars of a work.

I mean, some of my favourite movies of all-time had absolutely horrible trailers. If I had never watched them, I never would have realized how great they were.

upandaway

farnham said:
yes you can form an opinion about a game by reading the title of the game too.

but if you are comparing game A (in this case metroid prime) to game B (other m) and claiming that one is a massive step back to the other i believe you have to either play both and form that opinion or just judge both games off of some trailers. why ? because its unfair to the game that you have not even played.
He should be familiar with what made him enjoy Prime, and those aspects and their execution in Other M should help him decide their respective quality.
If anything, I think it's easier to compare two games (having played one) than simply decide the quality of a game independent of anything else.

That's unrelated though, I was referring to other remarks, not his comparisons.

robor

Segata Sanshiro said:
I mean, I think that's good enough for a cursory decision about whether or not you are likely to like something, but it's hardly foolproof and it certainly doesn't give you the knowledge necessary to discuss the particulars of a work.

I mean, some of my favourite movies of all-time had absolutely horrible trailers. If I had never watched them, I never would have realized how great they were.

Oh I definitely disagree with the assertion "Other M is a step backwards from Prime". That is completely groundless until release, but I can understand if someone doesn't like the look of how a game plays and thus, chooses not to purchase it.

wsippel

Banned
wackojackosnose said:
I have to agree with Crunched on this one. Samus capabilities at the end of each game are absolutely devastating and far beyond anything in Batman. You can basically fly and you get weapons powerful enough to clean a room with a single button press. It's next to impossible to build on top of this in sequels unless you do the shonen manga arms race, which would be even more silly.

wsippel said:
I have to agree with Crunched on this one. Samus capabilities at the end of each game are absolutely devastating and far beyond anything in Batman. You can basically fly and you get weapons powerful enough to clean a room with a single button press. It's next to impossible to build on top of this in sequels unless you do the shonen manga arms race, which would be even more silly.

Clearly, Samus needs to bust out with a bankai, a devil fruit, haki, super saiyan mode, hollow form, and rikudou sennin mode all at the same time.

jett

D-Member
Reading up on the game and the reviews it's a shame what Sakamoto has done with the character. I guess it tells all of us what kind of guy he is. :p Some people shouldn't attempt storytelling and characterization.

mjc

This thread continues to be incredibly entertaining...for both the right and wrong reasons. Its fascinating how a game can be polarizing when nearly nobody has played it outside of the press, who have given it positive reviews.

Top Bottom