• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Glix

I LOVE this game. Fuck the haters.

I love the fluidity. I love the combat. I love the environments. The cut scenes are gorgeous, Sqeenix quality if you can believe it.

In fact, the ONLY thing I don't like about this game is that they totally COULD have had retro-esque scanning for logs/info/etc, and just chose not to. Maybe so you could just concentrate on the action?

Mt Heart Attack said:
We'll probably find out in 2013:/

I was so disappointed when Nintendo announced Retro was working on a.. 2D Donkey Kong:/ Don't know, I'm already tired of these full price, full-fledged 2D games on home consoles, Mario last year and maybe Kirby this year would have been enough.

You are what's wrong with this industry.
You can get more playtime with these 2D console games than with most FPS games.

Mt Heart Attack said:

I was so disappointed when Nintendo announced Retro was working on a.. 2D Donkey Kong:/ Don't know, I'm already tired of these full price, full-fledged 2D games on home consoles, Mario last year and maybe Kirby this year would have been enough.
Yeah, lousy developers trying to steal our money without giving us an extra dimension that we earned.

kiryogi

Banned
Glix said:

I love the fluidity. I love the combat. I love the environments. The cut scenes are gorgeous, Sqeenix quality if you can believe it.

In fact, the ONLY thing I don't like about this game is that they totally COULD have had retro-esque scanning for logs/info/etc, and just chose not to. Maybe so you could just concentrate on the action?

<3

Yeah they could have, but I guess everything that needs to be said is all in the cutscenes anyway. I don't know neccessarily it's SE quality. That's pushing it. They're pretty to say the least though.

gdt

Danielsan said:
Horrendous dialogue and so so voice acting. Uninspired and generally poor visuals. Controls that leave a lot, and I mean a lot, to be desired. Indicating "hidden items" on the map (what the fuck is wrong with you Team Ninja/Nintendo?). The stupidly contrived means of "unlocking" "new" items. The Pussyfication of Samus Aran.

haha

AceBandage said:
You wouldn't pay full price for a game with no sound, why would you pay full price for a game without three dimensions?

smug.gif

Glix

Mt Heart Attack said:

What?

So full priced 3d games are okay, but not 2d games? Honestly, that doesn't even make sense.

Peff

AniHawk said:
Curse my skimming of sentences.

Nah, it does read like the VA is dubbed, but it actually isn't. But you could always mute it and imagine Bumblebee Man every time Samus talks.

JRW

Uhmmm Ok, so Im about 5 hours in and at best Id rate this game a 7.5'ish, Im not really digging the nunchuckless control scheme and the inability to move while in 1st person view.

The story isnt terrible but overall the previous Metroid games by Retro Studios are far superior IMO.

FoxHimself said:
It's nothing like Fusion except that you're sent to different sections and it's super linear. I absolutely adore Fusion and this just isn't a solid game.

I've shouted at the TV for the sheer stupidity that authorizing weapons is several times. I'm running around in a fucking lava world for an hour before Adam finally says "Oh, you should probably activate your Varia Suit" which not only gives me better protection for the heat but also reduces the damage taken by enemies. Same with the different beam types as well - it just makes no fucking sense not to be able to use them. It's hilariously HORRIBLE.

:(

Well, at least I'm getting a $20 credit with the preorder so I'm only wasting $30. I don't think I'll get the $10 credit I used back so that's a sunk cost. So really I'll be wasting $20 in keeping the preorder. <_<

AniHawk

Peff said:
Nah, it does read like the VA is dubbed, but it actually isn't. But you could always mute it and imagine Bumblebee Man every time Samus talks.

I was actually imagining hearing "NO ME GUSTA!" in that voice as I was typing that post.

Little Green Yoda said:

Well, at least I'm getting a $20 credit with the preorder so I'm only wasting $30. I don't think I'll get the $10 credit I used back so that's a sunk cost. So really I'll be wasting $20 in keeping the preorder. <_<

If you go into a gaming thinking you'll hate it, then you'll hate it.
I'll never understand this thought process...

hatchx

Banned
Glix said:

I am in the same boat. I've been loving this game. I'm nearing the end and I'd be leaning towards a 9/10.

Things I have learned from this thread:

- This is the worst game ever that happens to be pretty awesome.

- Video games have to be socially responsible.

- Having emotions is the worst thing ever if you're a woman and goddamnit I am going to stand up for women's rights because she does not have the capacity to be emotional like women should strive for (are there any women reading this if so my number is 555-203-2358 call me and we can talk about how awesome Samus should be but don't you dare tell me what you feel)

- 2D games are not worth as much as 3D games, with the exception of two 2D games (we need an arbiter to decide which two 2D games are allowed).

- Shikamaru Ninja is a fraud!

AceBandage said:
If you go into a gaming thinking you'll hate it, then you'll hate it.
I'll never understand this thought process...

Well, I'm definitely going into the game stripped of any expectations. It can't be worse than what I'm reading right now. :lol

ShockingAlberto said:

- Having emotions is the worst thing ever if you're a woman and goddamnit I am going to stand up for women's rights because she does not have the capacity to be emotional like women should strive for (are there any women reading this if so my number is 555-203-2358 call me and we can talk about how awesome Samus should be but don't you dare tell me what you feel)

- 2D games are not worth as much as 3D games, with the exception of two 2D games (we need an arbiter to decide which two 2D games are allowed).

:O

Little Green Yoda said:
Well, I'm definitely going into the game stripped of any expectations. It can't be worse than what I'm reading right now. :lol

You could really enjoy it, like the majority are, but if you keep telling yourself that it'll suck, then you won't enjoy it.
It's just silly.

kiryogi

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

ROFL. What's sad is that it pretty much sums up what this thread has become. Tho the Shikamaru Ninja hate is a bit unwarranted there. XD

Teknoman

Little Green Yoda said:

You could just look at all the reviews/ all the impressions in this topic so far, and then make your own decision.

ShockingAlberto said:

_ Sakamoto is killing people puppies and shit...

AceBandage said:
Yeah that's true, I don't like most FPS games either.

I'll try to explain myself better xD It's not that I don't like 2D games, as a matter of fact most of my DS games are 2D games, but, to me, seeing teams like Retro, that did wonderful things with their 3D Metroids, working on a 2D game, and not even a particulary innovative one, seems kind of a waste.
All three "big" games that Nintendo will release on the Wii in the second half of 2010 are 2D, or with strong 2D elements, that's too much for me, it's not why I've purchased a Wii honestly. I mean, wouldn't a Retro-developed 3D Donkey Kong, an adventure-platformer in the vein of DK64/Mario Sunshine have been more interesting than a DKC rehash?

Glix

kiryogi said:
<3

Yeah they could have, but I guess everything that needs to be said is all in the cutscenes anyway. I don't know neccessarily it's SE quality. That's pushing it. They're pretty to say the least though.

Oh for sure. I'm just a sucker for in depth esoteric knowledge. I guess its just my prime experiences, but I walk into a room, with a bunch of computer equipment and monitors, and my first reaction is "oh yeah, fucking scanning heaven baby" and then sadness.

And to the people complaining about them showing you where the items are... Are you serious? 90% of the time, the way to get to the item is nowhere near where the item itself is. Its not different then if they had a little red/green light that indicates weather you have gotten all the items available in a particular room.

A couple of minor nitpicks...

The tank-control parts are weird. I guess they were trying to make them a little more intimate, but they control funny, and you walk so fucking slow. Luckily, there aren't many of them.

The forced scanning parts are silly and annoying. Especially without the ability to zoom. Again, there are not many of them.

Lastly, the Adam giving you permission to use your weapons:
a. I guess they just wanted to try ANYTHING other than the completely overused and creatively bankrupt losing of all powers at the beggining
b. I'm still hoping for some kind of plot twist where you find out he was PURPOSELY trying to hinder you, which would make a lot more sense.

jman2050

Mt Heart Attack said:

I'll try to explain myself better xD It's not that I don't like 2D games, as a matter of fact most of my DS games are 2D games, but, to me, seeing teams like Retro, that did wonderful things with their 3D Metroids, working on a 2D game, and not even a particulary innovative one, seems kind of a waste.
All three "big" games that Nintendo will release on the Wii in the second half of 2010 are 2D, or with strong 2D elements, that's too much for me, it's not why I've purchased a Wii honestly. I mean, wouldn't a Retro-developed 3D Donkey Kong, an adventure-platformer in the vein of DK64/Mario Sunshine have been more interesting than a DKC rehash?

Given that DKC is better than both of those 2 games you listed, no :p

ShockingAlberto said:
At one point he was saying something about Sakamoto and Prime and etiolate called him an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yeah this thread is beyond stupid, its a shame that the game is releasing the day after i start school though. :(

Teknoman

FoxHimself said:
It's nothing like Fusion except that you're sent to different sections and it's super linear. I absolutely adore Fusion and this just isn't a solid game.

I've shouted at the TV for the sheer stupidity that authorizing weapons is several times. I'm running around in a fucking lava world for an hour before Adam finally says "Oh, you should probably activate your Varia Suit" which not only gives me better protection for the heat but also reduces the damage taken by enemies. Same with the different beam types as well - it just makes no fucking sense not to be able to use them. It's hilariously HORRIBLE.

So how is it different from Fusion? After replaying the game recently, Samus doesnt get Varia suit upgrade authorization until you've already moved around the volcanic zone and discovered plenty of doors you cant really explore because of the intense heat. Sounds exactly like Fusion to me.

Also ran into doors and beam doors long before I could open them via weapon authorization. The final half of the game opened up since Samus started to "disobey" orders and gain upgrades on her own.

Glix said:
b. I'm still hoping for some kind of plot twist where you find out he was PURPOSELY trying to hinder you, which would make a lot more sense.

Makes sense since this is a Galactic Federation owned biological experiment ship. And as many GF made bioweapons were seen in Fusion, i'm sure they might have wanted Samus to use restraint on their "inventory". So thats a pretty decent story based reason.

Similar reasons in Fusion as well.

Mt Heart Attack said:

I'll try to explain myself better if possible xD It's not that I don't like 2D games, as a matter of fact most of my DS games are 2D games, but, to me, seeing teams like Retro, that did wonderful things with their 3D Metroids, working on a 2D game, and not even a particulary innovative one, seems kind of a waste.

Eh, to each his own.
Personally, I think more 2D games is always a good thing.
It's just nice to see that those kinds of games aren't being thrown out.
Simple, yet beautifully elegant, designs that really show creativity in a way that most modern games lack.

I mean, look at this:

kirbys-epic-yarn-20100616004557620.jpg

It's sheer genius.

Red

The one reason I can't be disappointed with this game is, no matter how terrible it is, it will not be as bad as MP3. And that's good enough for me.

Glix said:

I'm in the same boat. Love the game and love the action. Pulling off overblasts and lethal strikes is satisfying. Sure it could be fleshed out a bit more, but the combat and environments have definitely hit a sweet spot for me. The cutscenes aren't even that bad (FFXIII =P) and the I can live with the stupid power unlocks, it's part of the story, no biggie. And Samus is hardly "pussified" as haters seem to cry bitter tears. Fun times.

And yes, I've played every single Metroid game to date. Far from being the best, but good enough to be called a Metroid title. I'm about 5 hours in btw.

Teknoman said:
You could just look at all the reviews/ all the impressions in this topic so far, and then make your own decision.

The only consensus I've seen is that it's linear (perhaps moreso than Fusion) and I did not like that aspect of Fusion at all. Cutscenes/story have been mixed reviews but most seem to be more negative than positive.

I think the best way for me to enjoy the game is to block out what makes Metroid great and just play Other M as a regular ol' action game.

AniHawk

I'm not really that excited for DKCR either, but that's only because of the developer. The genre is right.

There's like, 6 retail platformers hitting in the last two months of the year. Big name ones that will be advertised. I can't remember the last time it happened (and that's no exaggeration- it was probably 1993-1995, but I didn't have a system then and I tried to ignore those commercials) and it's awesome.

Volcynika

This and Valkyria 2 HAVE to come out the same week that work gets busy as all hell. Probably even working most of the holiday weekend. :/

Red

farnham said:
to each his own i guess :lol :lol
Yeah, I'm just joking around. I really didn't like Corruption, but I know plenty of others did. Hopefully Other M appeals to both sensibilities.

AniHawk said:
I'm not really that excited for DKCR either, but that's only because of the developer. The genre is right.

There's like, 6 retail platformers hitting in the last two months of the year. Big name ones that will be advertised. I can't remember the last time it happened (and that's no exaggeration- it was probably 1993-1995, but I didn't have a system then and I tried to ignore those commercials) and it's awesome.
The most exciting thing about DKCR for me is Retro :lol. I have complete trust in them to replicate what made the originals so great -- just like they did with Prime ;).

jman2050 said:
Given that DKC is better than both of those 2 games you listed, no :p
I agree, but somehow I doubt that DKC will be just as good :/ (seeing that part of what made DKC awesome back in the day was its graphics and soundtrack, whereas DKCR doesn't seem too hot technically wise and, correct me if I'm wrong, the original DKC composers are not working on the game).

And fuck, I really want to play a good adventure-platformer :/

AceBandage said:
Eh, to each his own.
Personally, I think more 2D games is always a good thing.
It's just nice to see that those kinds of games aren't being thrown out.
Simple, yet beautifully elegant, designs that really show creativity in a way that most modern games lack.

I mean, look at this:

It's sheer genius.
Again, I totally agree.

But this:
Donkey-Kong-Country-Returns-screen-640x368.jpg

Meh:/

What does Retro have to develop that? It's just so weird.

Teknoman

DKCR will be awesome too. Just wait and see...and it really doesnt need the original DKC composers since Jungle Beat was the most awesome Donkey Kong game soundtrack ever.

Top Bottom