• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Amir0x

Banned
I'm only annoyed Retro is working on DKCR not because it's 2D but because I hate the Donkey Kong Country games. Fucking terrible.

The only good thing about them were the soundtracks and I don't think the same guy is working on this one :(

Sidenote: Little surprised about the turn against Metroid Prime 3. I think it's the weakest Prime game myself, because the level design starts to falter a bit and the way they tell the story (particularly early on) is lame, but it's got all the same core principles that made the first two so good.

I am of course not talking to those who always hated the Prime games, they're just a little bit funky.

gdt

Boney said:
The feeling that Retro can only and should be the only one to touch the Metroid franchise is mind boggling.

I don't think they're the only ones, just the best.

And really, Team Ninja is so incredibly out of left field as a dev choice for a Metroid game.

LowParry

Hrm. I think I'm going to go in thinking that since I've only played Prime 1, this game will be good enough for me. Other than that, I'm out of this thread. :lol Debbie Downers galore.

gdt

Amir0x said:
Sidenote: Little surprised about the turn against Metroid Prime 3. I think it's the weakest Prime game myself, because the level design starts to falter a bit and the way they tell the story (particularly early on) is lame, but it's got all the same core principles that made the first two so good.

I am of course not talking to those who always hated the Prime games, they're just a little bit funky.

I think Prime 3 is the weakest Prime game, but thats no biggie. It's not an alltime classic like Prime 1/2, though.

AniHawk

Magicpaint said:
Even impressions are mixed already. Guess it's wait and see for myself.

U so funny

unfortunately, it's DKCR and not DKC2R. The first game had very little vertical platforming and this looks like it's going to follow suit (unless you have Diddy Kong, but it sounds like it's more of a support character).

Regardless, someone did have to come in and tell them not to design levels like they were speed runs.

And, to their credit, Retro did manage to get a game right, once, with Metroid Prime 3, and maybe a second time, accidentally, with Metroid Prime.

Boney

Banned
gdt5016 said:

And really, Team Ninja is so incredibly out of left field as a dev choice for a Metroid game.
It's a Nintendo collaboration. It's just that Sakamoto's team didn't had the man power to bring Other M to life.

Glix

Amir0x said:
I'm only annoyed Retro is working on DKCR not because it's 2D but because I hate the Donkey Kong Country games. Fucking terrible.

The only good thing about them were the soundtracks and I don't think the same guy is working on this one :(

My hate for it comes because of the new controls. The Prime games have very, ummm, deliberate combat. The rest of it was okay, but not nearly as good as MP1.

AniHawk said:
So someone can teach them level design, I'm guessing.

Yeah, time to freshen up the character. It's getting a bit boring.

I mean the whole "I think shitty games like Klonoa are really good, and great games like Prime suck" worked well for you, but I think you have better trolls inside, just waiting to bust out.

Red

Amir0x said:

Corruption's bosses were near-universally terrible. I thought the game took a swift decline in quality following the first Ridley encounter, and save the fight with Omega Ridley later in the game had few standout moments and a lot of been-there, done that dullery.

It felt like Metroid bite-sized or "my first Metroid," especially with the introduction of Sonic's Samus's shitty friends and the hand-holding "go here next" mentality. The fact that I never once had to explore for a single item and still wound up with 100% only compounded the linearity.

It was a frustrating experience. Other M looks like it is similarly limited, but at least I'm expecting it this time.

Teknoman

Amir0x said:

Isnt it supposed to be a 100% original DK platforming game though, and not a remake or anything? I'm just hoping its closer to Jungle Beat's art/soundtrack style (DKC series did have some nice music, but everything in Jungle Beat just seemed to...fit DK as a character/ give him more personality than he's ever had...if that makes any sense).

Kard8p3

gdt5016 said:

To each his own though I personally think R&D 1 is the best Metroid developer.

This game looks pretty good. I may consider a Wii purchase because of this. It;s actually the first Metriod I've ever been interested in.

The reviews I've read and watched just make it look like a typical Japanese game I'd enjoy.

Boney

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
This game looks pretty good. I may consider a Wii purchase because of this. It;s actually the first Metriod I've ever been interested in.

The reviews I've read and watched just make it look like a typical Japanese game I'd enjoy.
blah blah blah bad taste

and I like Klonoa.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Picked up the game last night. I've only had the chance to play a few hours but so far, the Fusion comparison is pretty apt.

Not sure what I think about the game yet otherwise. But I will say that the cutscenes and dialogue haven't really bothered me yet. And that the "hey you've had this shit all along but you can only use it when Adam says so" stuff is fucking retarded.

AniHawk

Gilgamesh said:
Wait, what?

I think MP3 was a good game. One of 2007's best, really. Metroid Prime looks like it has some crazy shit going on, but only thanks to sequence breaking, and done completely unintentionally.

I'll play MP again in September.

Teknoman said:
Makes sense since this is a Galactic Federation owned biological experiment ship. And as many GF made bioweapons were seen in Fusion, i'm sure they might have wanted Samus to use restraint on their "inventory". So thats a pretty decent story based reason.

Similar reasons in Fusion as well.

Still doesn't hinder the fact that it's UTTERLY RETARDED. I'm fighting strong enemies and dying several times when Samus could just whip out a better fucking weapon and, you know, NOT DIE.

I'm dying of thirst whilst carrying ten bottles of water god damn it.

Amir0x

Banned
To be perfect fair to the retarded nature of the arbitrary restrictions, Samus always loses her powers in some really dumb way so the fact that it continued this fine tradition by only making the reasons more retarded doesn't offend me TOO much.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
To be perfect fair to the retarded nature of the arbitrary restrictions, Samus always loses her powers in some really dumb way so the fact that it continued this fine tradition by only making the reasons more retarded doesn't offend me TOO much.

the next game should have little woodland creatures taking pieces when she's not particularly paying attention, like homer simpson trying to eat a chip with two dozen and one greyhounds around him.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
the next game should have little woodland creatures taking pieces when she's not particularly paying attention, like homer simpson trying to eat a chip with two dozen and one greyhounds around him.

she's all "you coy little gnomes!" and then she wanders after them and the game starts

AniHawk said:
I think MP3 was a good game. One of 2007's best, really. Metroid Prime looks like it has some crazy shit going on, but only thanks to sequence breaking, and done completely unintentionally.

I'll play MP again in September.
Kinda genius how accurately Retro translated the Metroid feel into the first person perspective -- sequence breaking intact and all. From what I've read/seen of Other M, sequence breaking is going to be quite difficult.

Red

Amir0x said:
Maybe next time she'll just forget them.

plufim

Mt Heart Attack said:
Now that's heresy:p

*types Kannon's Klaim on Youtube" FUCK YEAH so awesome:D
That's a funny way to spell "flight of the zinger"! :p

As for the reason for samuses powers being locked, having them have to be authorised does seem silly, since it makes the player think "I HAVE this shit already, what a dick move by the game". Having the powers be stolen or corrupted for some other reason, while over done, wouldn't give the player the constant feeling of being stiffed by the game.

Amir0x

Banned
Crunched said:
Maybe next time she'll just forget them.

playing up her forgetfulness. you just want another Metroid thread about sexism, admit it!

next you'll be saying she got into a car accident and that's why she has ability amnesia

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Amir0x said:

A big difference to me, at least so far, is that in the older games you weren't constantly slapped across the face with how dumb the reason was that you lost your stuff. When you're playing another Metroid game, after a while you don't really think "man I just got coldcocked from like 50 feet in the air by this boss and scrapped against solid steel, but I lost my stuff at the beginning because a blast bumped me into a wall too hard?" With this game, it's like "I had this shit all along and it would've helped so much against this earlier thing" every time you get something.

I don't know why they even bother trying to come up with a believable explanation, honestly. I mean, they never try to address why Samus always seems to accidentally leave her spare energy tanks and missile packs in her other power suit or anything.

Red

Lost Fragment said:
I don't know why they even bother trying to come up with a believable explanation, honestly. I mean, they never try to address why Samus always seems to accidentally leave her spare energy tanks and missile packs in her other power suit.
Ami addressed this above.

It's a formula. The way it plays can change, but the formula is really basic to Metroid. I'm not saying it can't change, but it doesn't look like anybody wants it to.
Teknoman said:
Not really a weapon problem...just like in most Metroid games, sometimes you have to manage with what you have. Im not saying its the best idea, but in the context of the game it makes absolute sense.
Not sure how much sense not being able to use your Varia suit has. I can understand something like the plasma beam or power bombs, stuff that can penetrate walls and potentially kill the good guys around you, but something like your grapple beam? Tough to justify.

Teknoman

FoxHimself said:
Still doesn't hinder the fact that it's UTTERLY RETARDED. I'm fighting strong enemies and dying several times when Samus could just whip out a better fucking weapon and, you know, NOT DIE.

I'm dying of thirst whilst carrying ten bottles of water god damn it.

Not really a weapon problem...just like in most Metroid games, sometimes you have to manage with what you have. Im not saying its the best idea, but in the context of the game it makes absolute sense.

Kard8p3

Lost Fragment said:
A big difference to me, at least so far, is that in the older games you weren't constantly slapped across the face with how dumb the reason was that you lost your stuff. When you're playing another Metroid game, after a while you don't really think "man I just got coldcocked from like 50 feet in the air by this boss and scrapped against solid steel, but I lost my stuff at the beginning because a blast bumped me into a wall too hard?" With this game, it's like "I had this shit all along and it would've helped so much against this earlier thing" every time you get something.

I don't know why they even bother trying to come up with a believable explanation, honestly. I mean, they never try to address why Samus always seems to accidentally leave her spare energy tanks and missile packs in her other power suit or anything.

It might not make much sense but in the end it's still really no different than it is in past games. Sure they could've just had her find the new abilities at the same places where he authorizes them but in the end it's really no big deal.

dvolovets

I've had Other M on pre-order through Amazon for a couple of months, can't wait. The reviews don't bother me -- even though the game does seem polarizing, the majority of reviews are in the 8 range. Dunno about anyone else, but the story doesn't really bother me, either. I find it ironic that after years of complaining about a lack of narrative in Nintendo games, the game journalist hivemind is now on Sakamoto's case... for better or for worse, it's basically Nintendo's first foray into modern-day gaming storytelling. Gotta cut 'em some slack if it's not up to Valve standards, y'know?...

Well, the lava thing was always in Metroid, you maybe go into a room where your life goes down becuase you dont have the varia suit, but in this case is becuase you cant activated. I see how people can be offended, but IMO is the same type of gameplay but triying to explain it.

ShockingAlberto said:
At one point he was saying something about Sakamoto and Prime and etiolate called him an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.

And that kids is why we have ignore lists in NeoGAF™!

Doorman

I am the sort of Metroid fan that "actual" Metroid fans hate. I don't give a damn about sequence breaking or performing crazy shinespark combos (although I'll admit how cool they are), I've never recalled playing through a Metroid game and feeling wowed about some invisible sense of isolation, and I'm thrilled to all hell at the prospect of Nintendo actually developing an actual personality for one of its major characters and giving her and others voice work to do it. Even if the way Samus is turns out to be something I'm not a huge fan of, I'll give them credit for finally taking that kind of narrative step and I hope they can use that experience in other games too. I didn't have anything to do with the creation of Samus, so as long as the way she acts in this doesn't completely contradict her actions in the other games, I can't accuse them of "ruining" her previously almost non-existent character.

The authorization thing sounds really contrived, but if it's just being presented that way to serve the gameplay purpose of not having all your abilities unlocked from the get-go, I can at least sort of forgive it. As long as the actual running, jumping, and shooting works (and general response I've read indicates that it does, once you adjust to the d-pad controls), I expect I'll enjoy this game even through some potentially head-scratching cutscenes.

Teknoman

Doorman said:
I am the sort of Metroid fans that "actual" Metroid fans hate. I don't give a damn about sequence breaking or performing crazy shinespark combos (although I'll admit how cool they are), I've never recalled playing through a Metroid game and feeling wowed about some invisible sense of isolation, and I'm thrilled to all hell at the prospect of Nintendo actually developing an actual personality for one of its major characters and giving her and others voice work to do it. Even if the way Samus is turns out to be something I'm not a huge fan of, I'll give them credit for finally taking that kind of narrative step and I hope they can use that experience in other games too. I didn't have anything to do with the creation of Samus, so as long as the way she acts in this doesn't completely contradict her actions in the other games, I can't accuse them of "ruining" her previously almost non-existent character.

The authorization thing sounds really contrived, but if it's just being presented that way to serve the gameplay purpose of not having all your abilities unlocked from the get-go, I can at least sort of forgive it. As long as the actual running, jumping, and shooting works (and general response I've read indicates that it does, once you adjust to the d-pad controls), I expect I'll enjoy this game even through some potentially head-scratching cutscenes.

This guy knows whats up.

plufim

Crunched said:
It's a formula. The way it plays can change, but the formula is really basic to Metroid. I'm not saying it can't change, but it doesn't look like anybody wants it to.
I don't think anyone (or too many at least) really have a problem with the formula, but the explanation this time around is a dick move on the games behalf, in terms of the narrative.

Edit: gotta agree with doorman about this being a huge step for nintendo in terms of characterization. Hopefully it encourages them to try more of this!

Penguin

donkey show said:
The
Ridley boss fight
was awesome. The lethal strikes you get to pull of are sweet. :D

Is the lethal strike her in a corner, in the fetal position, whimpering while Adam comes in for the big save?

Top Bottom