• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Well, the lava thing was always in Metroid, you maybe go into a room where your life goes down becuase you dont have the varia suit, but in this case is becuase you cant activated. I see how people can be offended, but IMO is the same type of gameplay but triying to explain it.

Wait, WHAT!?

I can almost understand not letting her use certain weapons(okay not really, but I'm sure they could just make up some half assed excuse about not wanting her to enter restricted areas unless they need too or something).

But this?

It's like sending someone to survive in the desert for a day but telling them not to drink anything.

Peff

Fimbulvetr said:
Wait, WHAT!?

I can almost understand not letting her use certain weapons(okay not really, but I'm sure they could just make up some half assed excuse about not wanting her to enter restricted areas unless they need too or something).

But this?

It's like sending someone to survive in the desert for a day but not drink anything.

Well, the second suit is even worse.

Doorman said:
I am the sort of Metroid fan that "actual" Metroid fans hate. I don't give a damn about sequence breaking or performing crazy shinespark combos (although I'll admit how cool they are), I've never recalled playing through a Metroid game and feeling wowed about some invisible sense of isolation, and I'm thrilled to all hell at the prospect of Nintendo actually developing an actual personality for one of its major characters and giving her and others voice work to do it. Even if the way Samus is turns out to be something I'm not a huge fan of, I'll give them credit for finally taking that kind of narrative step and I hope they can use that experience in other games too. I didn't have anything to do with the creation of Samus, so as long as the way she acts in this doesn't completely contradict her actions in the other games, I can't accuse them of "ruining" her previously almost non-existent character.

The authorization thing sounds really contrived, but if it's just being presented that way to serve the gameplay purpose of not having all your abilities unlocked from the get-go, I can at least sort of forgive it. As long as the actual running, jumping, and shooting works (and general response I've read indicates that it does, once you adjust to the d-pad controls), I expect I'll enjoy this game even through some potentially head-scratching cutscenes.

Amen brother. I like that Nintendo is mixing up one of its biggest series.

AniHawk

Fimbulvetr said:
Wait, WHAT!?

But this?

It's like sending someone to survive in the desert for a day but telling them not to drink anything.
Probably figured she had a handle on things.

AniHawk

Penguin said:
Is the lethal strike her in a corner, in the fetal position, whimpering while Adam comes in for the big save?

That's ridiculous.
There'd have to be the entire male crew there to save Samus from the mess she created

hamchan

Metroid has always had crap reasons for why Samus loses her powers but this is by far the worse. It's literally Adam and Samus being very very stupid. I think a lot of people are finding it insulting that this was the best they could think of.

hamchan said:
Metroid has always had crap reasons for why Samus loses her powers but this is by far the worse. It's literally Adam and Samus being very very stupid. I think a lot of people are finding it insulting that this was the best they could think of.
Next time they should just have her trip and lose her upgrades.

Peff

Metroid said:
Sorry if this question had already been asked but does this game have a hard mode? how do you unlock it?

I think it's 100%ing the game.
There are no upgrades on Hard Mode

GamerSoul

AceBandage said:
She should have a sex change operation and have to get a new suit and powers.

Now that would be a fun thread.

In the end of fusion, she's left with that same suit with just a color scheme similar to the power suit. She could get a newer suit in 5.

Metroid

Peff said:
I think it's 100%ing the game.
There are no upgrades on Hard Mode

Thanks. I think I never have completed any Metroid with 100%. Played all games except Return of Samus but i think that doesn´t count :lol

GamerSoul said:
In the end of fusion, she's left with that same suit with just a color scheme similar to the power suit. She could get a newer suit in 5.

Technically, she couldn't since the suit is now keeping her alive.

Boney

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Too many games this fall as it is though.:lol

Too many that I must have.

Kirby, Mickey, Kong, and Metroid are my must haves. For me that's a lot of musts in such a short time span.
I remember the simpler times of like 3 games a year :(

Boney said:
I remember the simpler times of like 3 games a year :(
I literally can't keep up anymore.:lol

I buy less then a quarter of the games I want to buy, just because they're is too much out there that tickles my fancy.

I can name a good 10-15 Wii games I'd buy right now, a good 30 on the 360 that I've looked at more then twice, and an insane amount of PS3 games.

Last gen I wouldn't have even hesitated.:lol

Boney

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
I literally can't keep up anymore.:lol

I buy less then a quarter of the games I want to buy, just because they're is too much out there that tickles my fancy.

I can name a good 10-15 Wii games I'd buy right now, a good 30 on the 360 that I've looked at more then twice, and an insane amount of PS3 games.

Last gen I wouldn't have even hesitated.:lol
I don't see what's so funny.

Also, figs in your rectum.

Boney said:
I don't see what's so funny.

Also, figs in your rectum.
Laughing at my stupid youth.

I bought but didn't get around to playing a good 20 games last gen. If I wanted the game I just bought it not putting anymore thought into it then that.

I'm selective now.

Metroid

AceBandage said:
Sad days, my friend.
Sad days.

Do they really say that she can not take off her suit anymore or is this just your assumption? Which would kind of make sense after fusing with the SA-X parasite at the end and now not being able to go back to normal suits cause she is now "X powered" Dammit I should know that, played through it yesterday night..

Red

AceBandage said:
She should have a sex change operation and have to get a new suit and powers.

Now that would be a fun thread.
She wouldn't need a suit or powers if she wasn't a woman. She'd take on those Metroids with her goddamn bare hands, and replenish her health by making jerky out of their toxic flesh.

Metroid said:
Do they really say that she can not take off her suit anymore or is this just your assumption? Which would kind of make sense after fusing with the SA-X parasite at the end and now not being able to go back to normal suits cause she is now "X powered" Dammit I should know that, played through it yesterday night..

It says she needs to suit to even function and live now, so I'd assume taking it off is a no-no.

Crunched said:
She wouldn't need a suit or powers if she wasn't a woman. She'd take on those Metroids with her goddamn bare hands, and replenish her health by making jerky out of their toxic flesh.

Alton Brown has the best recipe for Metroid Kabobs.

Thunder Monkey said:
Still weirded out that some expected logic to a game story.

Especially logic to a game story developed by Nintendo and Team Ninja.

Expectations(or lack thereof) don't make this any less stupid or easy to make fun of.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Doorman said:
I am the sort of Metroid fan that "actual" Metroid fans hate. I don't give a damn about sequence breaking or performing crazy shinespark combos (although I'll admit how cool they are), I've never recalled playing through a Metroid game and feeling wowed about some invisible sense of isolation, and I'm thrilled to all hell at the prospect of Nintendo actually developing an actual personality for one of its major characters and giving her and others voice work to do it. Even if the way Samus is turns out to be something I'm not a huge fan of, I'll give them credit for finally taking that kind of narrative step and I hope they can use that experience in other games too. I didn't have anything to do with the creation of Samus, so as long as the way she acts in this doesn't completely contradict her actions in the other games, I can't accuse them of "ruining" her previously almost non-existent character.

The authorization thing sounds really contrived, but if it's just being presented that way to serve the gameplay purpose of not having all your abilities unlocked from the get-go, I can at least sort of forgive it. As long as the actual running, jumping, and shooting works (and general response I've read indicates that it does, once you adjust to the d-pad controls), I expect I'll enjoy this game even through some potentially head-scratching cutscenes.

I have played Metroid since Metroid 1 on the NES, adore the series to bits, and totally know how you feel. It is possible to be a dedicated fan of a series, even "worship" it without being a lunatic. The only spoiler I gave myself for this game is looking at one now-infamous cut scene that is supposed to show Samus' character 'destroyed' and shook my head in disbelief at what the insane hardcore fans are reading into the game. This one game is generating entire BLOCKS of salt for the Metroid nazis (I have seen forum posts elsewhere I will not link to out of pure human decency, I have never seen Nintendo fans go as utterly batshit as I am now.)

Metroid is the perfect example of a series that fans largely constructed in their own minds, because it has been so minimalist. In a way, I hope Other M sells at least as well as Metroid Prime 1, even a little better, if only to drive what may be a much-needed wedge into the fanbase. Sometimes it is good when a series entry comes along that drives the crazies away - their incestuous attitudes about a series can smother it to death.

Kaijima said:
Metroid is the perfect example of a series that fans largely constructed in their own minds, because it has been so minimalist. In a way, I hope Other M sells at least as well as Metroid Prime 1, even a little better, if only to drive what may be a much-needed wedge into the fanbase. Sometimes it is good when a series entry comes along that drives the crazies away - their incestuous attitudes about a series can smother it to death.
Hahahaha, I couldn't have put this any better myself. Some people read way too far into things or take certain aspects of a game WAY too seriously.

GamerSoul said:
So the plot thickens....dammit I wanted a new suit lol

Actually, this brings up an interesting point.
If the suit is now Federation technology, that is running off the X, then it would no longer be Chozo technology. So she couldn't upgrade it with Chozo relics.
Hmmm.

People forgets that some games in the saga already put some stones relating to Samus character and there's the manga too, which until now was the closer we get to see true development on Samus.

So people idea on Samus is not entirely born from their imagination

dvolovets

Doorman said:

This is basically how I feel. The "sense of isolation" stuff has always reeked of bullshit to me. Sure, you are alone in most of the games, but it's hardly a make-or-break element of the series. What always impressed me the most about Metroid games was the level design. I'm a relatively new fan, having first played the Prime games and then going through Zero Mission, Fusion, and Super. Sense of isolation or not, what these games all have in common is intricate, clever level design.

hamchan

AceBandage said:
If the suit is now Federation technology, that is running off the X, then it would no longer be Chozo technology. So she couldn't upgrade it with Chozo relics.
Hmmm.

She'll find another Chozo suit that she can wear on top of the one bonded to her skin.

Genius.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Relaxed Muscle said:
People forgets that some games in the saga already put some stones relating to Samus character and there's the manga too, which until now was the closer we get to see true development on Samus.

So people idea on Samus is not entirely born from their imagination

While that is true and while there /is/ some previous specific character development from the Prime series, much of the fan backlash comes from people who never read the manga and did not know about it. Only played the games. One fan forum I have now literally been driven away from reading due to the outrage over this one game, didn't know about the manga. Their hatred is indeed based off their own pre-existing theories about what Samus is about.

Also, there's a funny point about bringing up the manga. I did go read the manga a few months ago, thought it was pretty decent. But the manga presents Samus Aran as being an emotional woman, with childhood trauma that logically could cause an adult to behave as Samus does in some of the Other M cut scenes.

To me, it seems that many fan freakouts so far are due to people /not/ having had read the comics, and truly being angry that their private versions of Samus are being violated. I'd have to think they'd really despise some of the comic sequences, given how conflicted and emotional Samus is there.

Doorman

Kaijima said:
I have played Metroid since Metroid 1 on the NES, adore the series to bits, and totally know how you feel. It is possible to be a dedicated fan of a series, even "worship" it without being a lunatic. The only spoiler I gave myself for this game is looking at one now-infamous cut scene that is supposed to show Samus' character 'destroyed' and shook my head in disbelief at what the insane hardcore fans are reading into the game. This one game is generating entire BLOCKS of salt for the Metroid nazis (I have seen forum posts elsewhere I will not link to out of pure human decency, I have never seen Nintendo fans go as utterly batshit as I am now.)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's willing to take the experiment for what its worth and understand what it means to make a first effort. And just to be clear, I'm not saying that I dislike the minimalist style of storytelling that games like Super Metroid focused on. But I do get the feeling that people sometimes give that a little more credit and ascribe more depth than it actually has or was intended to provide. I think it's partly my annoyance in general when fanbases start debating what a game series is "supposed" to be. Statements like "this isn't Metroid" or "this isn't Samus" are ridiculous when coming from anybody but the original creators. Are you allowed to not like the direction they took a character? Absolutely, but in threads like this I see a lot of "Samus isn't supposed to [...]" and comments like that just drive me up the wall sometimes.

AceBandage said:
Hmmm.

...At that point in the series chronology, are there even any Chozo relics left to collect? I'm already tired of the myriad of secret Chozo settlements that, while working under separate histories and sometimes very different life philosophies, all somehow happen to also stockpile technological gear and weaponry meant to function with one and only one suit (as far as we know) in the galaxy. Zebes and SR388 I could tolerate, but aren't there another like three Chozo planets that've popped up since then?

Boney

Banned
metroid_om_03.jpg

Slightly off the current topic, but Play.com has this as down as shipping in 24 hours and in stock, which by their standards is not classed as 'coming soon' or to be released. It's also in the top ten best sellers for Wii.

Could it be going out a little early?

Top Bottom