• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Boney

Banned
wsippel said:
Let me blow your mind: Quite a few items are completely hidden and not on the map. I guess Team Ninja did such a fine job hiding them that not even many reviewers found a single one of those, so you don't have to feel bad about it.

And by the way, items were indicated on the map in MP3 as well.
And Super, Fusion and Zero Mision.

RagnarokX

wsippel said:
Let me blow your mind: Quite a few items are completely hidden and not on the map. I guess Team Ninja did such a fine job hiding them that not even many reviewers found a single one of those, so you don't have to feel bad about it.

And by the way, items were indicated on the map in MP3 as well.
And in Super Metroid... and Zero Mission... and Fusion. lol. beaten

scitek

Boney said:
Did you rike it?

I did. A lot. I agree some of the plot devices are really stupid, but if Marcus doesn't help Dom look for his cancer-ridden wife in Gears 2, there's no game there, either. Point being I've learned to accept and look past countless retarded plot-devices for the sake of them allowing me to have fun. This is no different.

Also, for anyone interested, I have a theory on why the game is named Other M, but it's reeeaaaally spoilerific. Those who know what happens only should read it.

"Metroid Other MB" a) sounds stupid, but more importantly b) gives the game the initials of MOMB, which is also stupid. With all of the maternal plotlines (Madeline Bergman + MB and Samus + the last Metroid), I think the decision to have the initials be MOM may have been a big reason for the choice.

wsippel

Banned
Tathanen said:
Okay if we're going to get pedantic and idiotic about all this, let's do it.

In Zero Mission, she knew Ridley was in Zebes. She had already overcome her fears of him in the Manga, she went to Zebes expecting to fight him. There's no surprise when she eventually does.

In Metroid Prime, there were logs in the ships that indicated he had been reconstituted. Even after defeating him in Zero Mission, there wasn't necessarily an indication that he was "dead forever." After all, he had made clear to her in the Manga that he was able to survive horrible conditions by consuming the flesh of other living things.

In Corruption, there's still no indication that he's dead forever, he just kind of jumped off a cliff in Prime. Seeing him again, in the middle of the Space Pirate planet of all places, isn't that unreasonable.

In Super Metroid, she's in an environment that's been completely reconstructed from the last time she was there. She knows Mother Brain is in there somewhere, she knows Ridley is in there from when she ran into him on the space station. That particular encounter actually, the nature of it, kind of seems like she'd be pretty freaked out by it if we had any kind of view into her mind at that moment.

And really, this is the main point. Every time we've played Samus in these situations the game was designed in such a way that we were not privy to her thoughts in any capacity whatsoever. So for all we know she was exactly as freaked out every single time. PTSD is a hell of a thing. I don't care how much she managed to conquer her fears, look at how she reacts when he shows up in the Manga. She has a certifiable nervous breakdown and begs for death. You don't ever get over something like that entirely.

But anyway, here we are in Other M. Not only did she kill Ridley in Super Metroid, she blew up the fucking planet a couple hours later. As far as she's concerned, he is D-E-A-D dead. Then she's on this space station with no indication that anything like Ridley would be around, and not only that but he comes from the least expected place. Expecting just some further-evolved beastie, "oh la de da let's go beat up this thing," but nope it's fucking RIDLEY OUT OF NOWHERE. Out of nowhere and back from the categorical dead. It's been Ridley all along that you were interacting with in this space station. Maybe it's a little reasonable for her to freak out for the 30 seconds she freaks out!
If one wants to be really pedantic,
Samus only confronted Ridley twice at that point, because Sakamoto couldn't give a flying fuck about the Prime trilogy.

Just beat the game on 14 hours and 61%. Great game and I'd argue the actual plot is rather interesting, just the execution of some of the "moments" can definitely be much more polished (and rather controversial obviously, lol). On its own merits, Other M is an awesome game. Great overall combat, great controls (for simply being on the Wii-mote), great platforming, neat environments, great environmental music. It's hard to fault it on those merits alone. And yes, the cutscenes aren't as horrible as people make them out to be.

The problem is when you start attempting to compare it to the other Metroid games and you have that predisposition of how a Metroid game should be, you don't necessarily give Other M the chance it deserves, on top of other issues that are minor, yet still stick out like a sore thumb. For example, attempting to target a single enemy when there's multiple on the screen in FPS mode gets pretty wonky, but there aren't too many situations where this occurs. The half-hearted "scanning" in FPS mode during cutscenes also irks me as you're attempting to look for something minute within a large expanse can get frustrating. And of course in comparison to the other Metroid games, it's lacking a ton of fanfare. The unlocking of powers was a little contrived as well, but whatever.

Altogether, it was a neat package from Sakamoto and Co. and I'll definitely give it another playthrough on hard. I'd love to see more of this in the future. Well... the good stuff be implemented into a more traditional Metroid.

Samus is still a badass. :D
And apparently you need to do post-game stuff to get 100% ^^

Big Chungus

Tathanen said:
Okay if we're going to get pedantic and idiotic about all this, let's do it.

In Zero Mission, she knew Ridley was in Zebes. She had already overcome her fears of him in the Manga, she went to Zebes expecting to fight him. There's no surprise when she eventually does.

In Metroid Prime, there were logs in the ships that indicated he had been reconstituted. Even after defeating him in Zero Mission, there wasn't necessarily an indication that he was "dead forever." After all, he had made clear to her in the Manga that he was able to survive horrible conditions by consuming the flesh of other living things.

In Corruption, there's still no indication that he's dead forever, he just kind of jumped off a cliff in Prime. Seeing him again, in the middle of the Space Pirate planet of all places, isn't that unreasonable.

In Super Metroid, she's in an environment that's been completely reconstructed from the last time she was there. She knows Mother Brain is in there somewhere, she knows Ridley is in there from when she ran into him on the space station. That particular encounter actually, the nature of it, kind of seems like she'd be pretty freaked out by it if we had any kind of view into her mind at that moment.

And really, this is the main point. Every time we've played Samus in these situations the game was designed in such a way that we were not privy to her thoughts in any capacity whatsoever. So for all we know she was exactly as freaked out every single time. PTSD is a hell of a thing. I don't care how much she managed to conquer her fears, look at how she reacts when he shows up in the Manga. She has a certifiable nervous breakdown and begs for death. You don't ever get over something like that entirely.

But anyway, here we are in Other M. Not only did she kill Ridley in Super Metroid, she blew up the fucking planet a couple hours later. As far as she's concerned, he is D-E-A-D dead. Then she's on this space station with no indication that anything like Ridley would be around, and not only that but he comes from the least expected place. Expecting just some further-evolved beastie, "oh la de da let's go beat up this thing," but nope it's fucking RIDLEY OUT OF NOWHERE. Out of nowhere and back from the categorical dead. It's been Ridley all along that you were interacting with in this space station. Maybe it's a little reasonable for her to freak out for the 30 seconds she freaks out!

I thought they had cloned Ridley from the blood/remains that was on Samus' suit?

GamerSoul

Kard8p3 said:
This particular part of the game was spoiled for me and I agree that it makes sense. I was expecting this big horrible thing but then when I found out what it actually was I couldn't believe people were complaining about it.

It does really makes sense. And I dont get all the worry and fuss. We're just learning more about her through her own eyes and monologues. We're learning that our Samus does reflect on her life/actions like a person. No real suprises here. Our Samus is *sniff* growing up. deal with it.

Kard8p3

donkey show said:
Just beat the game on 14 hours and 61%. Great game and I'd argue the actual plot is rather interesting, just the execution of some of the "moments" can definitely be much more polished (and rather controversial obviously, lol). On its own merits, Other M is an awesome game. Great overall combat, great controls (for simply being on the Wii-mote), great platforming, neat environments, great environmental music. It's hard to fault it on those merits alone. And yes, the cutscenes aren't as horrible as people make them out to be.

The problem is when you start attempting to compare it to the other Metroid games and you have that predisposition of how a Metroid game should be, you don't necessarily give Other M the chance it deserves, on top of other issues that are minor, yet still stick out like a sore thumb. For example, attempting to target a single enemy when there's multiple on the screen in FPS mode gets pretty wonky, but there aren't too many situations where this occurs. The half-hearted "scanning" in FPS mode during cutscenes also irks me as you're attempting to look for something minute within a large expanse can get frustrating. And of course in comparison to the other Metroid games, it's lacking a ton of fanfare. The unlocking of powers was a little contrived as well, but whatever.

Altogether, it was a neat package from Sakamoto and Co. and I'll definitely give it another playthrough on hard. I'd love to see more of this in the future. Well... the good stuff be implemented into a more traditional Metroid.

Do you think the engine they have for this game would work well for a super metroid type game? It seems like they have everything you would need to make that kind of game but I haven't experienced it yet so I can't say for sure. Would you say it's best to look at this game as it's own thing and not constantly compare it to other games in the series?

scitek

Kard8p3 said:
Do you think the engine they have for this game would work well for a super metroid type game? It seems like they have everything you would need to make that kind of game but I haven't experienced it yet so I can't say for sure. Would you say it's best to look at this game as it's own thing and not constantly compare it to other games in the series?
Oh fuck yes. Please let this happen. I think this game is stunning to look at personally. I seriously want to rip it and see if it will run in Dolphin. It also has the best auto-camera I think I've ever seen. I can't recall a single time when I wished I could see more of something or whatever. MAYBE one or two jumps where I could have used a better angle for platforming, but aside from that, it's outstanding.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
wsippel said:
If one wants to be really pedantic,
Samus only confronted Ridley twice at that point, because Sakamoto couldn't give a flying fuck about the Prime trilogy.

This is basically the real explanation.

fna84 said:
I thought they had cloned Ridley from the blood/remains that was on Samus' suit?

They did. Of course, she doesn't know that ahead of time. It's part of why it's so surprising, it's not just the same Ridley refusing to die, this is Ridley coming after her even though he IS dead. It's basically a ghost from beyond the grave.

Snaku

Banned
donkey show said:

Dammit, why do I have to work Tuesday? :( At least UPS usually delivers a few hours before I have to leave.

Kard8p3

scitek said:
Oh fuck yes. Please let this happen. I think this game is stunning to look at personally. I seriously want to rip it and see if it will run in Dolphin. It also has the best auto-camera I think I've ever seen. I can't recall a single time when I wished I could see more of something or whatever. MAYBE one or two jumps where I could have used a better angle for platforming, but aside from that, it's outstanding.

Sounds like they have something really good here. I hope they continue with this style and go for a more traditional Metroid game next time. I love the more story based fusion style this game went with but I still put super metroid over fusion so I'd love to see this engine used for a super metroid style game.

Kard8p3 said:
Do you think the engine they have for this game would work well for a super metroid type game? It seems like they have everything you would need to make that kind of game but I haven't experienced it yet so I can't say for sure.
Oh totally. I never really felt I wasn't playing a Metroid game. I think Other M technically would be a great foundation for whatever comes along next.
Anthony Higgins spin-off "Metroid: Another Brother." =)

Would you say it's best to look at this game as it's own thing and not constantly compare it to other games in the series?

Definitely. Although there are certain points in the game that make you think back and go... wait, what? :lol

It also has the best auto-camera I think I've ever seen.

Agreed. The camera never got in the way of gameplay.

scitek

Kard8p3 said:
Sounds like they have something really good here. I hope they continue with this style and go for a more traditional Metroid game next time. I love the more story based fusion style this game went with but I still put super metroid over fusion so I'd love to see this engine used for a super metroid style game.

What I love is that the series has TWO styles of games, Fusion-esque and Super Metroid-esque, and both fucking kick ass.

Kard8p3

Tathanen said:
They did. Of course, she doesn't know that ahead of time. It's part of why it's so surprising, it's not just the same Ridley refusing to die, this is Ridley coming after her even though he IS dead. It's basically a ghost from beyond the grave.

based on the way he acts around samus in his earlier forms and his main form is it safe to assume this clone retains the original ridleys memories?

scitek said:
What I love is that the series has TWO styles of games, Fusion-esque and Super Metroid-esque, and both fucking kick ass.

Indeed they do. While I do prefer the super metroid-esque style the fusion style is still amazing and I'd take either style over most other games.

The decision to play Fusion before Other M was a good one. I didn't realize how many elements of Other M are from Fusion. I know people kept talking about how the level design/progression of Other M mirrors Fusion, but I didn't expect for names like Adam Malkovich to outright appear in Fusion, especially this early in the game. Also, how Samus thinks to herself about Adam is serious foreshadowing into her issues with him in Other M, including the whole sexism thing.

Abbie, you need to play Fusion. :lol

Jerk

Banned
brandonh83 said:
The decision to play Fusion before Other M was a good one. I didn't realize how many elements of Other M are from Fusion. I know people kept talking about how the level design/progression of Other M mirrors Fusion, but I didn't expect for names like Adam Malkovich to outright appear in Fusion, especially this early in the game. Also, how Samus thinks to herself about Adam is serious foreshadowing into her issues with him in Other M, including the whole sexism thing.

Abbie, you need to play Fusion. :lol

I have been out of the loop.

Would someone care to explain this?

Boney

Banned
brandonh83 said:

Abbie, you need to play Fusion
. :lol
What the what now!?

Jerk 2.0 said:
I have been out of the loop.

Would someone care to explain this?

Sexism was rampant in the GF. The only exception being Adam, who treated Samus equally, so Samus kind of looked up to him as more of a friend and father figure.

etiolate

Banned
Boney said:
Did you rike it?

Also, etiolate.. where and how did you end up studying your videogame thingy thing?

Freshman year of college, I wrote an essay on gender in videogames. This involved doing some online polling, but also digging through the campus library for academia on videogames. This is where I ran across media studies, of where game studies is a hybrid sub-department. I read a couple books published in the 90s, one by Henry Jenkins. I then took a class at a school with a games program that was a lower division course surveying the industry, culture and study. I gathered a lot of names, searched them out and read blogs by the people who study this sort of stuff. I also took classes on other forms of media that were once low-brow but came to have a space in the greater discussion(film, comics, etc). Most of what I acquire now is via web blogs by people in the field. I'm a big fan of Jenkins.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kard8p3 said:
based on the way he acts around samus in his earlier forms and his main form is it safe to assume this clone retains the original ridleys memories?

He actually doesn't really act in any way that implies he has memory of Samus.

Uhm... well maybe not the whole "sexism" thing per se, but I can see where Other M gets it from. In those moments when Samus is thinking to herself she expresses disgust in the AI and relates it to Adam.

Socreges said:
Fusion takes place after Other M.

Didn't know that. But yes, I suppose it does, seeing as Super Metroid takes place right before Other M and this game is way after Super Metroid, just didn't think on it enough to connect the dots.

Doesn't really change though what I said about the two stories and character traits linking together; seeing as Fusion was released before Other M, from what I've read about the story I can see where they got the blueprint for where they went with the story in OM.

Also, this game is creepier than Dead Space.

Kard8p3 said:
I would actually LOVE to see them tackle the Return of Samus in glorious 3rd person Other M graphics.

Socreges said:
Good to hear. Care to give an example? With spoiler tags for other people.

It isn't so much of a spoiler as it is the clever use of the camera angles and the environment to hide morph ball spots and having you go into FPS mode to scan possible destructible backgrounds. Many times I've gone, "nice... wouldn't have guessed that first time." You'll see this a lot in
Sector 2, the ice zone.

Kard8p3

Tathanen said:
He actually doesn't really act in any way that implies he has memory of Samus.

Oh I figured the odd stare the first time you meet him and the way he lures samus out of the building and jumps her implied that he knew who she was.

brandonh83 said:
Didn't know that. But yes, I suppose it does, seeing as Super Metroid takes place right before Other M and this game is way after Super Metroid, just didn't think on it enough to connect the dots.

Doesn't really change though what I said about the two stories and character traits linking together; seeing as Fusion was released before Other M, from what I've read about the story I can see where they got the blueprint for where they went with the story in OM.

Also, this game is creepier than Dead Space.

Yeah the stories are definitely tied together. Where are you at in the game right now?

etiolate said:
If you compare the Gunpei Metroids to Sakamoto's Metroid's without gunpei there is a distinct difference in structure and feel.

I don't think Gunpei Yokoi had any creative input on Super Metroid at all, and his role on Metroid 1 was more that of a producer.

Kard8p3 said:

Abosulutely not. Who would want to play Super Metroid in such a restrictive manor? I'm all for making another attempt at a 3D Metroid game, but not like this.

Fans of this game are like fans of the prequel trilogy. You can't take them seriously.

Boney

Banned
strx said:
Abosulutely not. Who would want to play Super Metroid in such a restrictive manor? I'm all for making another attempt at a 3D Metroid game, but not like this.

Fans of this game are like fans of the prequel trilogy. You can't take them seriously.
So not only the story and the blah blah, but you hate the mechanics as well?

Although I really don't think 3d can translate literally to a 2d Metroid game, but this looks as close as it should be.

strx said:

Are you talking star wars or Prime?

strx said:

lol okay asshole

Not literally, I know.

Let me try to explain. So much of the design is restrictive. The way you can't walk off ledges the way you switch to first person, the way concentration works, the way you move and jump. Sometimes when you hold up you go straight and sometimes you curve with the map and sometimes you run in a circle. It's inconsistent and I don't like it. Wouldn't have been a problem if they just went with analogue control. It's like you never feel completely in control of Samus. You have to rely on context sensitive actions.

evilromero said:
Are you talking star wars or Prime?
Star Wars.

DeathbyVolcano said:
lol okay asshole

You know I'm sorry you're feeling butthurt over how disappointing this game is, but don't take it out on me.

etiolate said:
If you compare the Gunpei Metroids to Sakamoto's Metroid's without gunpei there is a distinct difference in structure and feel.

There really isn't that much of a difference between the structure of Super to Zero Mission, besides ZM's stealth sequence. Sure Fusion is different, but couldn't you say Return of Samus is also quite a bit different than Super?

Not to mention what EmCeeGramr said.

brandonh83 said:
Oh come on, there are far worse things to hate than the prequels :lol

I thought it was more relevent to use Star Wars as an example because that's what it feels like. Sakamota is much like Lucas.

ShockingAlberto said:
Seriously

If you're going to play Metroid, at least buy a house

Maybe an apartment

But a small shack is no good

My gaming box is just fine, thank you very much.
playing-in-the-refrigerator-box.jpg

Nemesis_

It's amazing how there are power ups that
aren't authorises, and instead picked up after fighting a boss that has nothing to do with the power up
but these make no sense.

Also, best quote:
Any objections, Adam?

Finally,
NIGHTMARE!!!
. Was so nice to recognise something =P

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Chet Rippo said:
There really isn't that much of a difference between the structure of Super to Zero Mission, besides ZM's stealth sequence. Sure Fusion is different, but couldn't you say Return of Samus is also quite a bit different than Super?
Still don't get how people get lost in Return of Samus.

Top Bottom