• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 was most not "Switch 2" hardware

th4tguy

We will get this at 4k upscaled, 60 fps, with some extra graphical flair on switch 2. No doubt

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
c1fa7818-2446-4e1f-ae53-b90bf891f3a4_text.gif
what was wrong with my english pal??

pppssst i have a secret

MZbU.gif

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A lot of people are saying it looks bad, a lot of people are saying it looks great.

It looks fantastic to me. But then, I chose not to buy a next gen system yet. I'm very happy with my PS4 and Switch, and a little bit of PC.

I will enjoy Metroid Prime 4 thoroughly. It looks awesome. I think it's one of, if not the best looking Switch game that I've seen..

I was more referring to the other user, Vaibhavpisal. The final area can be “annoying”, but it isn’t unfair. It just requires you to use the tools you were given. No different than any other Metroid game.
Did you play it on Wii?

Where you have to waggle to change your ammo type.

Dunno how it plays on normal pads but was annoying as hell. I don’t leave games midway especially the ones i like. But here it was just BS and had to drop it.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Did you play it on Wii?

Where you have to waggle to change your ammo type.

Dunno how it plays on normal pads but was annoying as hell. I don’t leave games midway especially the ones i like. But here it was just BS and had to drop it.
Yep, played it on Wii and Gamecube and didn’t have an issue. I did play with the Wii Motion Plus though so maybe that changed how accurate the ammo type switching was?

Yep, played it on Wii and Gamecube and didn’t have an issue. I did play with the Wii Motion Plus though so maybe that changed how accurate the ammo type switching was?
You probably have a lot more tolerances for BS.

It was like, I changed ammo type, enemies float slightly and now I can no longer see the one I have the ammo for.

Now I changed to another type… didn’t work in first attempt. Quick, you are surrounded.

Tried again, they float again slightly and I again have wrong one selected.

This goes on for 1/2 hr. Then, no way to save before boss. Its easy-ish fight but extremely long. Way too long. You slip once and you are sent back to do it all over again.

No idea how this was acceptable??

Dr. Claus

Banned

It was like, I changed ammo type, enemies float slightly and now I can no longer see the one I have the ammo for.

Now I changed to another type… didn’t work in first attempt. Quick, you are surrounded.

This goes on for 1/2 hr. Then, no way to save before boss. Its easy-ish fight but extremely long. Way too long. You slip once and you are sent back to do it all over again.

Again, I never had an issue. I could switch between ammo types with ease. If anything, I felt the Wii Version was the best version of the game. Aiming felt so intuitive, as did the controls.

Zannegan

Did you really have to waggle to change ammo types? I swear I remember pressing a button to bring up a wheel (like a weapon wheel in classic shooters and ARPGs) and then just pointing to select the ammo.

I didn't like the motion for motion's sake stuff on Wii, but good uses of the IR pointer were sublime. Red Steel 2 was also a fantastic cobtrils showcase that came too little, too late. Ubisoft should revive it for VR headsets.

It never was acceptable, just like most tacked-on motion controls for the Wii. Almost every game would have been better without it.

Did you really have to waggle to change ammo types? I swear I remember pressing a button to bring up a wheel (like a weapon wheel in classic shooters and ARPGs) and then just pointing to select the ammo.

I didn't like the motion for motion's sake stuff on Wii, but good uses of the IR pointer were sublime. Red Steel 2 was also a fantastic cobtrils showcase that came too little, too late. Ubisoft should revive it for VR headsets.
It was how you are describing it. But way more effort than pointing a joystick. And much less precise.

That's what is always fascinating about consoles. Devs learn the ins and outs of the HW, and by the mid to late gen, they're putting out some really impressive looking games, especially when compared to games that came out the first year or two. Granted I think most devs/pubs up the AA for their trailers, but other than that, that's what'll look like.

Astral Dog

you can be impressed by almost anything once you are conscious they will show a videogame running on a 10 Watt downclocked 2015 tablet, and still appreciate the visuals for what they are, not what they should look like

looking at the trailer of Prime 4, the first thing that stood out to me was Samus herself and the ship, they looked way better than any other Metroid model i ever seen and i had my jaw dropped 😮, even the detail in her visor,flawless.

When the actual gameplay starts, the limitations are very noticeable, the geometry on display is not to Xbox ONE/PS4 level, neither are the textures, or visual effects , i was wondering how Retro could be rendering the backdrop on the forest scene at 60fps on a Switch, turns out they weren't and Digital Foundry confirmed it was a flat texture( it should be obvious to some people but i didn't noticed those things! lol)

So they are using plenty of tricks to make this look and run as pretty as possible on a Switch, that requires plenty of work i suppose, imagine how different Metroid Prime 4 would have looked if it was a Wii U game,or on ' PlayStation 3' hardware as the first HD Metroid , or PlayStation 4

yet its tailored for the Switch hardware, looks fine for what it is, when they show the Switch 2 version, it might give it more visual flourish

Last edited:

Trilobit

you can be impressed by almost anything once you are conscious they will show a videogame running on a 10 Watt downclocked 2015 tablet, and still appreciate the visuals for what they are, not what they should look like

looking at the trailer of Prime 4, the first thing that stood out to me was Samus herself and the ship, they looked way better than any other Metroid model i ever seen and i had my jaw dropped 😮, even the detail in her visor,flawless.

When the actual gameplay starts, the limitations are very noticeable, the geometry on display is not to Xbox ONE/PS4 level, neither are the textures, or visual effects , i was wondering how Retro could be rendering the backdrop on the forest scene at 60fps on a Switch, turns out they weren't and Digital Foundry confirmed it was a flat texture( it should be obvious to some people but i didn't noticed those things! lol)

So they are using plenty of tricks to make this look and run as pretty as possible on a Switch, that requires plenty of work i suppose, imagine how Metroid Prime 4 would have looked if it was a Wii U game,or on ' PlayStation 3' hardware as the first HD Metroid , or PlayStation 4

yet its tailored for the Switch hardware, looks fine for what it is, when they show the Switch 2 version, it might give it more visual flourish

I'm definitely getting this for Switch 2. My Switch can rest once I've played TotK and maybe some of the games announced on the latest Direct. I hope they beef it up properly for "next gen".

tr1p1ex

I have a feeling this one is so mediocre they're not gonna bother porting it to Switch 2.
Yeah feel the same way. It is a very real possibility.

And even if not mediocre, I'm skeptical that a prettier MP4 is great selling point for Switch 2.

That's a strategy used by Sony and MSFT and 3rd parties on those platforms during a transition between generations.

Nintendo did it twice in the past that I can recall. Both times with Zelda. But both times weren't about prettier graphics. The 1st was about motion controls. The second was playing console Zelda on a handheld. New ways to play. The Nintendo DNA. And of course in both of these examples the previous system was a rather poor seller.

I'm skeptical Nintendo would promote prettier shinier for MP4 as a selling pt for the next console. WE saw the trailer. The selling pt would be... we will pretty up these graphics a bit? I don't see it because a prettier version of those graphics wouldn't be terribly obvious.

It also would seem to reinforce that the system you have, Switch, is good enough.

Last edited:

Woopah

Yeah feel the same way. It is a very real possibility.

And even if not mediocre, I'm skeptical that a prettier MP4 is great selling point for Switch 2.

That's a strategy used by Sony and MSFT and 3rd parties on those platforms during a transition between generations.

Nintendo did it twice in the past that I can recall. Both times with Zelda. But both times weren't about prettier graphics. The 1st was about motion controls. The second was playing console Zelda on a handheld. New ways to play. The Nintendo DNA. And of course in both of these examples the previous system was a rather poor seller.

I'm skeptical Nintendo would promote prettier shinier for MP4 as a selling pt for the next console. WE saw the trailer. The selling pt would be... we will pretty up these graphics a bit? I don't see it because a prettier version of those graphics wouldn't be terribly obvious.

It also would seem to reinforce that the system you have, Switch, is good enough.
If MP4 comes out after Switch 2 launches, I can't see it not being cross gen

If it launches before, it can still get a "Deluxe" edition for Switch 2

tr1p1ex

If Switch is getting Deluxe or HD versions of previously released games, I don't think Nintendo will completely avoid giving Switch 2 preivous games but with better graphics.
Wii U didn't sell and was a console not a handheld. Only reason those games were on the Switch.

Again Nintendo thinks different. You aren't going to see a bunch of Switch ports with better graphics.

Might be a first for Nintendo if MP4 is also on the Switch 2 for that reason?

Last edited:

Woopah

Wii U didn't sell and was a console not a handheld. Only reason those games were on the Switch.

Again Nintendo thinks different. You aren't going to see a bunch of Switch ports with better graphics.

Might be a first for Nintendo if MP4 is also on the Switch 2 just for a little prettier graphics.
Weren't Twilight Princess and Wind Waker brought to Wii U with better graphics? Isn't Luigi's Mansion 2 HD mostly just Luigi's Mansion 2 but with prettier graphics?

tr1p1ex

Weren't Twilight Princess and Wind Waker brought to Wii U with better graphics? Isn't Luigi's Mansion 2 HD mostly just Luigi's Mansion 2 but with prettier graphics?
yeah those re-releases were all 10-11 years after the initial release.

Woopah

yeah those re-releases were all 10-11 years after the initial release.
But it shows Nintendo is happy releasing games just with better graphics no?

To give an example with less time, Miitopia came out in the West in 2017, and was remastered for the Switch 4 years later.

Edit: And if we go back a bit, Donkey Kong Country was available on the GameBoy, but when the GBA came out they still released a new verison with better graphics.

Basically, Nintendo is compeltely happy to put out a new version of an already released game where the only major difference is "it looks better".

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

But it shows Nintendo is happy releasing games just with better graphics no?

To give an example with less time, Miitopia came out in the West in 2017, and was remastered for the Switch 4 years later.
Nintendo ports old games. WE all know that.

Miitopia ...that's the hill you want to die on? ;)

Exception to the rule and even then 4 years later. And who knows exactly why they decided on porting that one. But I don't think 'better graphics' was why.

Woopah

Nintendo ports old games. WE all know that.

Miitopia ...that's the hill you want to die on? ;)

Exception to the rule and even then 4 years later. And who knows exactly why they decided on porting that one. But I don't think 'better graphics' was why.
Well the reason is money. If Nintendo thinks that releasing an old game with better graphics will be profitable, they'll do it. They see prettier graphics as enough of a selling point to make people buy an old game. There doesn't have to be a new way to play.

tr1p1ex

Well the reason is money. If Nintendo thinks that releasing an old game with better graphics will be profitable, they'll do it. They see prettier graphics as enough of a selling point to make people buy an old game. There doesn't have to be a new way to play.
They want consumers to buy the old game again or sell the old game to new consumers.

Same day MP4 Switch 2 wouldn't fit that.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

They want consumers to buy the old game again or sell the old game to new consumers.

Im guessing it will be similar to Breath of the Wild on Wii U and Switch, however Metroid Prime/Retro Studios is known to push visuals, and Switch 2, unlike Switch 1 is far more capable than the previous system

Im not saying its gonna be a completely different version, expect a moderate upgrade with higher resolution, textures and lightning effects to showcase their new console, there is a first time for everything, even for Nintendo. then someday they show Metroid Prime 5, completely designed for Switch 2 🤤

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Im guessing it will be similar to Breath of the Wild on Wii U and Switch, however Metroid Prime/Retro Studios is known to push visuals, and Switch 2, unlike Switch 1 is far more capable than the previous system

Im not saying its gonna be a completely different version, expect a moderate upgrade with higher resolution, textures and lightning effects to showcase their new console, there is a first time for everything, even for Nintendo. then someday they show Metroid Prime 5, completely designed for Switch 2 🤤

I also expect them to 'remasterize' Bayonetta 3 as sadly that game went beyond what the Switch can handle, looks like one of those impossible ports like DOOM Eternal
Retro seems more known for not releasing anything in 10 years. ;)

The difference with BotW was they weren't going to sell many copies on the Wii U. That's why it appeared on Switch. The draw wasn't better graphics compared to Wii U versoin. It was a 'console' game on a handheld.

I don't think having MP4 designed on the Switch with better graphics would be a showcase for S2.

Doubt Bayonetta 3 gets remastered. Not a big seller. Wasn't even released 2 years ago.

btw, and I've said it before, but MP(metroid in general) not a showcase franchise for Nintendo.

But it's definitely not impossible they could resort to just doing an easy graphical enhancement for MP4 and simultaneously releasing on Switch 2. That seems very lazy tho for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yep but difference with BotW was they weren't going to sell copies on the old system. That's why it was appeared on Switch too. The draw wasn't better graphics either. It was a 'console' game on a handheld and Nintendo's new single platform that was both console and handheld.
we will see, i say this because i believe Nintendo will want to show Metroid Prime 4 in the best light possible to bait potential Switch 2 owners, thats why they could mess with the graphics a little

without making the Switch version look poor of course.

tr1p1ex

we will see, i say this because i believe Nintendo will want to show Metroid Prime 4 in the best light possible to bait potential Switch 2 owners, thats why they could mess with the graphics a little

without making the Switch version look poor of course.
Seems like too lazy and straight forward thinking for Nintendo. Too much of a faster horse mentality.

Also ...not sure it would be wise to focus on graphics in a smartphone and PS5/XsX world.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Seems like too lazy and straight forward thinking for Nintendo. Too much of a faster horse mentality.

Also ...not sure it would be wise to focus on graphics in a smartphone and PS5/XsX world.
The actual game would need to have innovative mechanics ,strong design,action and appeal as well, Breath of the Wild wasn't simply more of the same but it got everybody to wonder how it will play

I don't think Metroid Prime 4 will have the same impact as a Zelda, but it should be a strong launch title alongside whatever Nintendo is cooking for the launch window, that will be the big launch game (Mario Kart? Donkey Kong? Splatoon? who knows!)

Metroid is more for the "core" audience

tr1p1ex

The actual game would need to have innovative mechanics ,strong design,action and appeal as well, Breath of the Wild wasn't simply more of the same but it got everybody to wonder how it will play

I don't think Metroid Prime 4 will have the same impact as a Zelda, but it should be a strong launch title alongside whatever Nintendo is cooking for the launch window, that will be the big launch game (Mario Kart? Donkey Kong? Splatoon? who knows!)

Metroid is more for the "core" audience
I'm talking about the mentality of releasing MP4 simultaneously on Switch 2 ...if the only real selling point is improved graphics. SEems too lazy/pedestrian for Nintendo. Independent of the agme being great or mediocre.

They haven't been pushing graphics like the other guys for a long time now. None of their games do the photo realistic thing.

I wouldn't be that excited myself to be able to play a Switch game on Switch 2 with a little prettier graphics. Metroid Prime graphics are sort of ageless or the type of graphics that improvements aren't going to be that noticeable.

It's just seems too straight forward. Nintendo thinks different.

This type of thing, while it absolutely could happen, seems more from the playbook of Sony and MSFT and EA etc.

Woopah

This will just be about making the game available and attractive to the Switch 2 audience.

With how scalable ganes are these days, there's little reason for Nintendo not to make sure that there is a Switch 2 version for almost every game they release after the Switch 2 launches.

Maybe these will only take advantage of the Switch 2 increased power. Or maybe there will be some other Switch 2 feature these cross gen games can take advantage of.

Astral Dog

This will just be about making the game available and attractive to the Switch 2 audience.

With how scalable ganes are these days, there's little reason for Nintendo not to make sure that there is a Switch 2 version for almost every game they release after the Switch 2 launches.

Maybe these will only take advantage of the Switch 2 increased power. Or maybe there will be some other Switch 2 feature these cross gen games can take advantage of.
i been trying out the motion control aiming just recently on Switch , you can forget its even an option ,all games (specially Skyward Sword) feel worse (clunkier?)from what i remember of the Wii remote, but there is potential if they improve the joycons.

specially because Metroid Prime 3 played so well on the Wii, im hoping they fix that tech somehow for next gen

tr1p1ex

Yeah that's the thinking of the other consoles. Since when did Nintendo think like they did?

Does Nintendo discount their games like the other guys? No.
Does Nintendo give away older same gen games with their subscription every month? No.
Does Nintendo chase photo realistic graphics? No.
Has Nintendo done cross gen games for a few years post launch the past few gens like the other guys? No.

IT's not the no brainer one might think.

Last edited:

Woopah

i been trying out the motion control aiming just recently on Switch , you can forget its even an option ,all games (specially Skyward Sword) feel worse (clunkier?)from what i remember of the Wii remote, but there is potential if they improve the joycons.

specially because Metroid Prime 3 played so well on the Wii, im hoping they fix that tech somehow for next gen
MP3 really benefitted from the sensor bar, which Switch doesn't have.
Yeah that's the thinking of the other consoles. Since when did Nintendo think like they did?

Does Nintendo discount their games like the other guys? No.
Does Nintendo give away older same gen games with their subscription every month? No.
Does Nintendo chase photo realistic graphics? No.
Has Nintendo done cross gen games for a few years post launch the past few gens like the other guys? No.

IT's not the no brainer one might think.
You could say that for several things though.

Sony and Microsoft allow you to download their full games. Nintendo think different, so they won't do that.

Sony and Microsoft charge for online. Nintendo think different, so they won't do that.

EA and Activision do season passes. Nintendo think different, so they won't do that.

They do often think different, but that doesn't make them immune to industry trends. An increase in cross gen releases is likely to be one of those trends.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

You could say that for several things though.

Sony and Microsoft allow you to download their full games. Nintendo think different, so they won't do that.

Sony and Microsoft charge for online. Nintendo think different, so they won't do that.

EA and Activision do season passes. Nintendo think different, so they won't do that.

They do often think different, but that doesn't make them immune to industry trends. An increase in cross gen releases is likely to be one of those trends.
Yep but the point was they don't copy just to copy.

Whereas with Sony and MS...they are basically tit for tat copying each other.

thus with Nintendo I would not at all say that an increase in cross gen releases is likely. I don't see any evidence that would be the case.

Full downloadable games? Nintendo did downloadable games in the 90s. Intellivision PlayCable allowed users to download games in the early 80s. Full pc games were downloadable before consoles did it. AT the end of the day, it's no different than selling games at retail and just because someone is first doesn't mean the other guys didn't already see the future there. Financially doesn't always pay to be first as you might be ahead of your time before the tech is ready and the investment makes sense.

Charging for online? Rather inevitable given ongoing costs of supporting online multiplayer. MMORPGs charged monthly fees long before Sony or MS did it. But Nintendo thought different there too. again they didn't go the MSFT/Sony route. You aren't finding older 1st party or 3rd party Switch games on the service for example. Nintendo stocks their service with VC games. And added online play to those and saved state. And has done a few original online games. And has included some DLC for free as part of their online service as well. (

And does Nintendo really do Season passes? They don't do those endless ~$10/pass every ~3 months things that I know of. They do some DLC. The MK8 DLC was coming out every 3 months or so as part of one big package. Splatoon released a bunch of free content over time ... similar to a season pass I suppose. Smash Bros released extra fighters at various times for a free iirc. I suppose those are sort of season pass like. They did paid DLC for BotW and AC.

The DLC thing used to be called expansion packs back on pc around 25 years ago. And really just doing sequels is sort of like DLC. Back in the day when you could get a sequel out within 2 years, it probably never occurred to them to do additional content for a game. For example, Id software did Wolfenstein in 92, then Doom in 93, Doom2 in 94, Quake in 96... They would instead just to be working on the new game. ;)

At the end of the day charging for additional content or selling a game via digital download is the same difference as what a game company was already doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom