• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Blast Ball |OT| Ridley is too big to fit in the BlastBall arena

Roo

In the same week as the "mk8 is the worst mk" thread lol.

Didn't you hear? It's the opposite week!
I expect to see a thread about how both Super Mario Galaxy games are utter trash while Sunshine is the epitome of 3D Mario platforming!

So to you Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime Echoes on GameCube are "virtually unplayable", and "you don't know why they even exists"?

Are you suggesting Blastball and the previous Metroid Prime games have similar gameplay? They're completely different games. It should go without saying that control schemes need to be adapted based on differences in gameplay. Example: Resident Evil.

But good for you guys if you like it.

TheMoon

Are you suggesting Blastball and the previous Metroid Prime games have similar gameplay? They're completely different games. It should go without saying that control schemes need to be adapted based on differences in gameplay. Example: Resident Evil.

But good for you guys if you like it.

Yes they do. Lock on to target, fire at target, strafe around locked-on target.

You're locked onto the ball the majority of the time, like in regular Prime combat. There's a reason it's the default control scheme. It works perfectly for what it does.

Default controls work great on 2DS and it's rather simple to aim ahead if a moving target with the gyro, it's one time where I actually enjoy gyro aiming because I don't have a second stick to target with.

Menitta

Didn't you hear? It's the opposite week!
I expect to see a thread about how both Super Mario Galaxy games are utter trash while Sunshine is the epitome of 3D Mario platforming!

Happy Opposite Day! We hate you!

878889651_WE_HATE_YOU.jpg

While I also love Galaxy, I do prefer Sunshine more.

Switch to the alternate control scheme. The standard one is virtually unplayable, I don't know why it even exists.

Theres another?! Jeez.

Regiruler

Happy Opposite Day! We hate you!

878889651_WE_HATE_YOU.jpg

While I also love Galaxy, I do prefer Sunshine more.

Theres another?! Jeez.
Only for those with a n3DS or CPP attached.

The default one takes more getting used to but turning is easier in it. I don't like how it ruins 3D though.

Spladam

Years of waiting again for a real Metroid game, and Nintendo license the brand for a "I want to be like Rocket League" game.. should I just give up and keep playing III, Zero Mission, Fusion, and Prime over and over?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
lol, just when I thought I'd heard it all.
Glad to be of help with broadening your horizons.

Years of waiting again for a real Metroid game, and Nintendo license the brand for a "I want to be like Rocket League" game.. should I just give up and keep playing III, Zero Mission, Fusion, and Prime over and over?
Blast Ball is just a mini-game and an episodic mechanics in an otherwise straight-out-of-Prime main game.

Regiruler

I'm getting tired and pissed over AFK players. It's a plague at this point.
Ok just played about 5 games on this and whilst im liking it....WHAT THE FUCK DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH METROID!!!?
Basic gameplay is ripped right from prime.

It's only tangentially related to the 2D games.

TheMoon

Ok just played about 5 games on this and whilst im liking it....WHAT THE FUCK DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH METROID!!!?

It's a side game to teach players the controls in the actual main game, Federation Force. This information is easily available. Seriously, this is getting old.

Regiruler

The shooting gallery with gyro scratches an itch I didn't know I had.

It takes the good part of face raiders (the minute aiming) and axed the need to spin around 360 like a moron.

Control scheme B with the gyro turned on is a game changer. Highly recommend you give it a shot if you haven't already. Much easier on the hands/wrists as well. I'm definitely having fun with this now.

wave 4 in challenge mode always wrecks shop on my team, it's like my AI partners stay scrub level while the newer team crush us.

I also kind of hate the eject power up, it's way too good and should only disable people in range of the player instead of being unescapable.

I still hugely prefer the lightweight ball over the standard one.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
wave 4 in challenge mode always wrecks shop on my team, it's like my AI partners stay scrub level while the newer team crush us.

I also kind of hate the eject power up, it's way too good and should only disable people in range of the player instead of being unescapable.

I still hugely prefer the lightweight ball over the standard one.

I thought that the Eject power-up only affects people near where the power-up is shot? I've only gotten it once, but I thought you shot something out of the arm-cannon when using it.

Regiruler

I thought that the Eject power-up only affects people near where the power-up is shot? I've only gotten it once, but I thought you shot something out of the arm-cannon when using it.
No, it's the entire team. However if your far away it takes longer to affect you.

the person who uses it will shoot 3 bolts into the sky and they home on the players, no way (for what I can tell) to avoid it so I just set my mech up in front of our goal to block it a bit.

Regiruler

the person who uses it will shoot 3 bolts into the sky and they home on the players, no way (for what I can tell) to avoid it so I just set my mech up in front of our goal to block it a bit.
That usually works, however a very well-coordinated team can get it over. I did it exactly once when there were 2 people blocking the goal on the second form, using the groove between the mechs to guide the ball.

Toxi

Banned
Okay, is there a reason my AI teammates keep shooting the ball in the direction of our goal?

Sometimes I'll be shooting the ball to keep it from entering our goal, and they'll be on the other side shooting it along with the other team. I once even saw the bastards move it across the entire field back to our goal.

Regiruler

Okay, is there a reason my AI teammates keep shooting the ball in the direction of our goal?

Sometimes I'll be shooting the ball to keep it from entering our goal, and they'll be on the other side shooting it along with the other team. I once even saw the bastards move it across the entire field back to our goal.
I can't say I pay much attention to anything other than the ball on defense, so I don't really notice nor care what the AI do.

You can actually build ranking from solo, which I find amusing, but they have a fixed point value so I would assume there's a cap somewhere.

I just lost a challenge in the fourth game because the AI scored on our own goal.

Fuck this.

AI is frustratingly dumb. They race to grab the powerups then somehow miss a wide open goal. If I had that lightning bolt shit would have been a goal. They also seem to be constantly in the way.

Haven't managed to connect for an online game yet.

Regiruler

AI is frustratingly dumb. They race to grab the powerups then somehow miss a wide open goal. If I had that lightning bolt shit would have been a goal. They also seem to be constantly in the way.

Haven't managed to connect for an online game yet.

This is true of more than just the AI, to be fair.

I've seen perfectly good approaches butchered because a dumbass decided to look cool with a charge shot.

Regiruler

Am I crazy? I've somehow gotten a missle powerup today twice, and I've never seen it before today.

The first time I saw it I thought it was bolt and was confused why I wasn't going faster, second time I got it from a random powerup drop and was able to use it (it functions exactly like you think it would: while it's active, press the item button to shoot the same type of missles that were used in training).

Was there a stealth update?

TheMoon

Am I crazy? I've somehow gotten a missle powerup today twice, and I've never seen it before today.

The first time I saw it I thought it was bolt and was confused why I wasn't going faster, second time I got it from a random powerup drop and was able to use it (it functions exactly like you think it would: while it's active, press the item button to shoot the same type of missles that were used in training).

got that in one of my first matches but I was so overwhelmed by all the things happening that I didn't really pay attention to how it worked or what it did; I just knew it was a missile.

Finally took a moment to try this out; after some initial trouble connecting, I scored two goals in my first match. (I admit I rather wish the voice-message customization had options for "Booyah!" and "C'mon!") Oddly, as someone who swears by motion aiming, I didn't realize until dropping by this thread that there was gyro aiming in this game, even after playing the tutorial and a full match; it wasn't clear to me at all that the R-lock was there to provide precision aiming within the reticule, rather than just lock your direction of travel for the purpose of strafing. I was about to voice a complaint that such an L-lock-centric design didn't quite make sense when it seems that the trick to mastering Blast Ball is to make good use of spinning the ball by shooting it off-centre—but it looks as though the control scheme accounts for that after all by how it works when you hold L and R together.

Despite being completely in the bag for gyro aiming after Splatoon, Star Fox Zero, and the 3DS Zelda remakes, I was a little wary of using it in a fast and frantic situation, since I like playing with the 3D slider on and moving the original 3DS XL around disrupts the sweet spot for the screen, but here default sensitivity is high enough to make it work. As with nearly everything on the 3DS, the artwork looks significantly better in motion, in 3D, and with the portable system's pixel density, than in any impressions we might have received from the trailers.

The matchmaking was also breezier than I expected; I didn't think anybody would still be fiddling around with the demo after the initial rush, but it took no time at all for a room to fill up with people within the same rating bracket. My concern about Federation Force has always been that I didn't expect there would be any viable multiplayer community for it at all (especially as we've had no indication of how playable or compelling it is in single-player), but I may be underestimating how many groups you can assemble at any time of day even with extremely poor sales. That said, with respect to this, a fairly new free demo can't be taken as an indication of anything.

I'm still not convinced I'll pick up MPFF—not for silly reasons concerning Metroid's series identity, as vehemently as I always complain about the disgrace of letting every dual-screen system pass us by without a proper Metroid adventure with a simultaneous map, but simply as my time/budget for games is short and mission-based co-op shooters don't interest me. But the fundamentals of the movement and controls here are eminently playable.

Regiruler

I found out you can charge the repair capsule shot. It doesn't increase health given but it increases the distance shot (also has a fun trait of bouncing off walls, the collision detection in the game is pretty fun to watch). This helps a ton during the second rank test so you don't have to be standing right next to the mech (although you need to aim without lockon).

I can already see the biggest benefit in focusing on one item type: switching items on the fly is really hard to keep track of mentally with just two.

Regiruler

Online feels different now. Every game I join is in the middle of a game, but the overall online experience feels better all around. Is this placebo or can someone else confirm?

Gilby

I finally got around to playing this, and although the controls are different they're far from bad! If you hold R you're basically in dual-analogue mode with gyro, and if you hold L you're in classic Prime controls. L+R is weird but lets you lead your shots.

I don't find blastball itself very fun, but I'm actually excited about the single player now if it controls this well!

I enjoyed the demo a lot more than I thought I would. The training being locked behind a couple games of Blastball is a little annoying, but it gave me a good taste of what the full game would be like. I have some extra GS credit, so I may pick this up on Friday.

Regiruler

So the servers for Blast Ball are still up, in contrast to what was originally said?

Your european, no? I don't think they gave an end date to the european version.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see that the American version is still up too. I think the math probably worked out that it was better for interest to keep it running.

TheMoon

Your european, no? I don't think they gave an end date to the european version.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see that the American version is still up too. I think the math probably worked out that it was better for interest to keep it running.

Yup, Euro version was never set to "end" anyway.

Regiruler

Official shutdown time is listed as December 31st 2016, 23:59 Pacific Time.

Found via the eShop, so this could be different in other regions. There's not really much lost here as it was supposed to go down in September (at least in North America), but it quietly got extended. It doesn't mention the demo itself being removed, so I guess for those who want to test the controls and visuals it's still there.

I don't really like this, as the free version presumably fed the blast ball playerbase for the full game (there was no way that the rooms were that active restricted to the primary game).

Top Bottom