• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Blast Ball |OT| Ridley is too big to fit in the BlastBall arena

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Played it for a bit, I'm not really interested in Blast Ball itself, but I loved the training for Federation Force. LOL at the people who complained Federation Force had nothing to do with Metroid Prime: as said pretty much everywhere, it plays exactly like Metroid Prime, with gameplay refinements and team elements added. The hold R + gyro à la Splatoon adds tons of subtlety to aiming and combat, and the use of heal elements is interesting. The combat against holo pirates was already more nervous and fun than combat in the original game.

The Gyro aiming + lock-on reminds me more of the Wii controls for the Prime series. It's really neat.

Stopdoor

I gotta say, Blast Ball didn't impress me much unfortunately, but the 'Training' demo for the actual Federation Force part actually was pretty fun. Plays like Metroid Prime, fighting Space Pirates was some fun actual combat.

Cautiously optimistic the main game will be redeemable barring the controversial art style.

Blast Ball itself is pretty fun so far. It feels slow in the beginning, but once you get into the groove of it, it clicks a bit more. When you start sidestepping around it's not too bad. I think the base movement could be increased a little bit. It ultimately feels like it's trying to be Metroid Prime 3 does Rocket League.

Online play was decent, spamming d-pad voices is fun, sometimes my shots didn't feel like they were pushing the ball but that could be lag.

I don't know if I'd see myself sticking with it for a long while, but I think there's potential.

The Federation Force training was okay. It plays like Prime 3. I'm not feeling intrigued by it.

The chibi art direction is still garbage. I can live with it to an extent in Blast Ball, but I can't take FedForce seriously. If NLG couldn't get FF to look like Prime 1/2/3 on the 3DS then they should have scrapped what they got and rebuilt it for NX handheld.

If I can continue playing Blast Ball for free like this, I could keep coming back to it, especially if NLG keep patching in gameplay tweaks.

Kolma

Here's the skins I got in the NA version

None
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
WVW69jbDQxYcLiPG9P
Lightning - Performed 5 blocks in a game
???
WVW69jbDRJEahqsrLZ
Shark - First Blast Ball Win
???
WVW69jbDRyoN-Yi2Ak
Star - Beat a challenge (beat both single player and online, nothing else unlocked)
WVW69jbDSbo9BPscmh
Kraid - 10 Blast Ball Wins
WVW69jbDS5MXiYhq1z
Mother Brain - Scored 3 goals in a game
WVW69jbDTW0XP04dH4
Ridley - Ran over 10km

WVW69jbDT5gFCi1srS
Bowser - amiibo
WVW69jbDUUwgAndH__
Bowser Jr. - amiibo
WVW69jbDUpkRBEfTOc
Luigi - amiibo
WVW69jbDU90xEqGaOL
Mario - amiibo
WVW69jbDVSs6QwD6B7
Peach - amiibo
WVW69jbDVmYJqazBh2
Rosalina - amiibo
WVW69jbDV-sGmI28en
Samus - amiibo
WVW69jbDWYwLITesp4
Zero Suit - amiibo
WVW69jbDWvU5mNazVx
Skull - amiibo

I didn't get anything for going through Federation Force training but I also didn't get the highscore in Target practice (20k, only got like 11k)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This seems pretty bad to me. Blast ball I find boring, slow and clunky.

The Federation Force training was a tad better, but gyro aiming isn't great on portables IMO since you're moving the screen your watching. It also breaks the 3D so you have to turn that off.

I'm a huge Metroid fan, but I just can't see picking this up. Especially at a $40 release price. Seems like this should have been a budget download only title, or even F2P with skin purchases or something.

Ōkami;210902568 said:
So, how does one play online?

I've tried multiple times and it just says Warm Up, the match never starts.
Whoever enters the room first is the leader and has to press X to start, if the room isn't full bots fill the gap and they are rather good at times.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I made the mistake of playing through the Freedom Force training mission...now I want to play the actual game so much more than Blast Ball. :(

Regiruler

The Federation Force training was a tad better, but gyro aiming isn't great on portables IMO since you're moving the screen your watching. It also breaks the 3D so you have to turn that off.

I'm a huge Metroid fan, but I just can't see picking this up. Especially at a $40 release price. Seems like this should have been a budget download only title, or even F2P with skin purchases or something.
Game plays a lot better with a circle pad pro, or barring that a c-stick.

I turned off gyro the minute I found out how.

EDIT: Actually it probably plays better than the stick with the gyro, but it ruins the 3D.

El Odio

Banned
Had no real expectations when I finally played the training mission and damn, I'll need to practice the controls a bit more but I actually found it to be pretty fun.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Game plays a lot better with a circle pad pro, or barring that a c-stick.

I turned off gyro the minute I found out how.

EDIT: Actually it probably plays better than the stick with the gyro, but it ruins the 3D.

Yeah the stick is shitty. Great for camera in games like Monster Hunter, but terrible for aiming.

Ansatz

I think that's a deliberate choice, it makes the game more methodical as opposed to over the top arcade action. It becomes less of a button masher and more strategic. You can definitely feel how heavy the ball is. It doesn't fly around like a ping pong ball, you need to account for its momentum and shoot it from the side to make it roll away from the goal.

I thought so too, that playing Splatoon on a handheld wouldn't work because the screen is tied to the controller so to speak. In Blast Ball though gyro aiming is fine because you're always locked on to the ball, but in the FF training it was definitely an issue when targets appear all over the place. I didn't experience any issues with the 3D effect though, the N3DS eye tracking technology works perfectly.

I'll have to DEFINITELY disagree. I played through the entirety of RE: Revelations with gyro aiming, because compared to using the stick it was godly

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'll have to DEFINITELY disagree. I played through the entirety of RE: Revelations with gyro aiming, because compared to using the stick it was godly

Well of course. I'd rather just not play games that really need a dual analog set up for me to enjoy on hardware lacking two sticks.

Griss

I'm glad Nintendo released a demo for this game. Before getting my hands on it, I thought it looked dull, slow, and boring.

Now that I've played a few rounds, I can see the error of my ways. In reality, it's actually boring, dull and slow.

Seriously, I wouldn't play this for free. It's garbage. The palest shadow of rocket league, without the speed, agility or verticality - all the essential ingredients of that game.

And other than prime's lamentable control scheme it has nothing to do with metroid. This is sad, sorry shit. At least it's polished I guess.

Luigi's Mansion 3 when? Now THAT was a great game.

casiopao

Can't play the game here as i am not connected on NNID on my current N3DS.T_T I would love if we can get a demo release on JP Eshop here as i had NNID for JP 3ds.

Also, i would hope the next OT for MP:FF, we will put a strict rule that if people who just wanted to complain about the game existence would not post in there as i would love to had a proper OT like TMS which is better without the censorship complained all over the OT.T_T

Regiruler

My biggest complaint right now is that the skill ceiling seems rather low. I don't feel like there's much more for me to do to really get better at.

Online games are already a drawn out back and forth. Even the Emp is no longer a blowout if you cockblock with the mech correctly.

More events like the special balls would be nice. Maybe a stage change?
I'm glad Nintendo released a demo for this game. Before getting my hands on it, I thought it looked dull, slow, and boring.

Now that I've played a few rounds, I can see the error of my ways. In reality, it's actually boring, dull and slow.

Seriously, I wouldn't play this for free. It's garbage. The palest shadow of rocket league, without the speed, agility or verticality - all the essential ingredients of that game.

And other than prime's lamentable control scheme it has nothing to do with metroid. This is sad, sorry shit. At least it's polished I guess.

Luigi's Mansion 3 when? Now THAT was a great game.
You know you can shoot, right?

Your movement speed is irrelevant in moment to moment play: you can hit the ball at any time. You only need to move to position for defense or make an offensive play, both of which require team strategy.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Blast Ball's not bad, probably not something I'd buy a whole game over though. Matches can get pretty drawn out.

Will try the actual Federation Force demo a bit later...

DodoZozo

Neo Member
Even with the other team ejected, it's tough to get 3 people to cooperate to get the ball in the smallest goal. It'd probably be easier if 2 players stopped shooting so the one could have better control, but everyone just wants to pew pew pew the ball at all times.

Griss

You know you can shoot, right?

Your movement speed is irrelevant in moment to moment play: you can hit the ball at any time. You only need to move to position for defense or make an offensive play, both of which require team strategy.

Movement speed is entirely relevant because to get the ball where you want to go you must be in the right position to angle your shots, to defend your goal you must be able to get back between it and the ball, to coordinate with teammates you must be able to space out... This is all so obvious I'm amazed I need to spell it out.

What's more, the slow speed means you make less meaningful decisions per moment as it's easier to just keep shooting rather than strategically repositioning yourself. And so on.

It's a dull game. That said, they should have started with the fed force training demo. It makes a better first impression.It's still terrible, but it's better. Slightly.

Regiruler

CCP setup poorly thought out. L for lock on is lunacy, it HAS to be ZL.
Lock on is tap, not hold.
Movement speed is entirely relevant because to get the ball where you want to go you must be in the right position to angle your shots, to defend your goal you must be able to get back between it and the ball, to coordinate with teammates you must be able to space out... This is all so obvious I'm amazed I need to spell it out.

What's more, the slow speed means you make less meaningful decisions per moment as it's easier to just keep shooting rather than strategically repositioning yourself. And so on.

It's a dull game. That said, they should have started with the fed force training demo. It makes a better first impression.It's still terrible, but it's better. Slightly.
Agree to disagree I suppose. Shot angle gives you sufficient control over saves and trick shots from a distance, but you are rewarded with playing your area as the ball comes to you.

TheMoon

Also, i would hope the next OT for MP:FF, we will put a strict rule that if people who just wanted to complain about the game existence would not post in there as i would love to had a proper OT like TMS which is better without the censorship complained all over the OT.T_T

I will make fucking sure of that.

They really need to do something about laggy hits to the ball sending it towards the wrong direction, I hit it from the front side but the server thinks I hit it from the rear side and it's hard to defend when that happens all the time.

When I play offline the collision is perfect.

I also see a lot of players aim at the ball but not lead their shots, usually people on my team :/

TheMoon

They really need to do something about laggy hits to the ball sending it towards the wrong direction, I hit it from the front side but the server thinks I hit it from the rear side and it's hard to defend when that happens all the time.

When I play offline the collision is perfect.

I also see a lot of players aim at the ball but not lead their shots, usually people on my team :/

Yea the laggy business made me quit the online version of Challenge mode which I thought would be easier with humans controlling my teammates. Can't really defend against AI when your shots go all over the place.

Not leading shots might be a result of people having switched to N3DS/CPP controls and not using the free aim. I went back to gyro because I find the layout not suitable in that setup.

Is there a separate demo for Federation Force right now? I'm confused by some of what people are saying in this thread. Or is there like a traning mission in Blast Ball that is taken from Federation Force?

Point being I'm more interested in trying FF than BB.

Edit: Apparently not in NA. Oh well.

watershed

Banned
Is there a separate demo for Federation Force right now? I'm confused by some of what people are saying in this thread. Or is there like a traning mission in Blast Ball that is taken from Federation Force?

Yeah I just discovered that too. Sad. I wanted to test how how FF plays more than actually play BB.

Boney

Banned

Haven't played the game but wouldn't it be the other way? If you can move so fast between spreading out in an offensive position, yet able to move at a relative similar speed to the ball in order to go set up the defense quickly, wouldn't that actually allow for much less meaningful decisions and planning since you're not committing to any decision?

I'd think slow speed could make the game be very defensive prone, but I assume that's where missiles and charge shots come into play to screw up people's angles.

TheMoon

Yeah I just discovered that too. Sad. I wanted to test how how FF plays more than actually play BB.

Both games in NA and PAL are the same.

There is no FF demo. There is only the "Training" which is sort of a FF tutorial in the form of a training exercise that gets you the mech certificate and qualifies you for the Federation Force.

Everyone has the same game here. And none of us have an actual FF mission/demo.

Regiruler

The training mode you unlock is what I assume people are referring to.

Regiruler

Does anyone know what the hollow ball does? The one made of molten rock is fairly obvious, but I can't really tell what the other one does. Is it just lighter and faster?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
DL now have ryu and shovel Knight amiibo hoping for awesome

Those will just unlock the skull paint job that all non-specifically supported Amiibo unlock.

I think the only ones that have their own paint jobs are Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Rosalina.

TheMoon

DL now have ryu and shovel Knight amiibo hoping for awesome

Zero Suit Samus
Samus Aran
-
Mario (all versions incl. Dr. Mario and 8bit Mario, same design)
Luigi
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Peach
Rosalina

are the only supported amiibo

all others give you a generic skull pattern.

Both games in NA and PAL are the same.

There is no FF demo. There is only the "Training" which is sort of a FF tutorial in the form of a training exercise that gets you the mech certificate and qualifies you for the Federation Force.

Everyone has the same game here. And none of us have an actual FF mission/demo.

Gotcha.

The training mode you unlock is what I assume people are referring to.

Thanks. Guess I'll download it at least for the training exercise just to see what the game looks/feels like.

Top Bottom