• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Blast Ball |OT| Ridley is too big to fit in the BlastBall arena

Yea the laggy business made me quit the online version of Challenge mode which I thought would be easier with humans controlling my teammates. Can't really defend against AI when your shots go all over the place.

Not leading shots might be a result of people having switched to N3DS/CPP controls and not using the free aim. I went back to gyro because I find the layout not suitable in that setup.

I play on a 2DS and the gyro free aim is pretty good to use, i've had a few cool power shots knocking the ball into the goal becuase of it.

*edit* I just had a few more online matches and the lag and ball physics make it so annoying to score goals, you try to aim shots to curve the ball into the goal but nope server seems to think you hit it at a different angle, or the ball just doesn't go in. and again i'm shooting at a ball to slow it down yet it speeds up towards me, this doesn't happen offline.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This game really, really needs a proper gamepad for maximum enjoyment. I can only imagine how good it would play on the wiiU, if they ever ported it over.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
As a N3DS owner, I really miss the circle pad pro. You don't know how good something is until it's gone I guess.

Zero Suit Samus
Samus Aran
-
Mario (all versions incl. Dr. Mario and 8bit Mario, same design)
Luigi
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Peach
Rosalina

are the only supported amiibo

all others give you a generic skull pattern.

Time to unbox my two Samus amiibo and Bowser Jr. I guess.

regular samus gives the best skin for the yellow team, i'd use ridley for blue if I had it unlocked.

New strategy: Just shoot the enemies so that your teammates can march through.

Sometimes when I have a charge shot and they are all standing around their goal I shoot at them instead, the issue is steering the ball in with lag, it's annoying.

TheMoon

I play on a 2DS and the gyro free aim is pretty good to use, i've had a few cool power shots knocking the ball into the goal becuase of it.

*edit* I just had a few more online matches and the lag and ball physics make it so annoying to score goals, you try to aim shots to curve the ball into the goal but nope server seems to think you hit it at a different angle, or the ball just doesn't go in. and again i'm shooting at a ball to slow it down yet it speeds up towards me, this doesn't happen offline.

Yup, had similar experiences. BB seems not really seriously playable online as it stands. Ruins the coolest parts of shooting the ball.

Regiruler

Sometimes when I have a charge shot and they are all standing around their goal I shoot at them instead, the issue is steering the ball in with lag, it's annoying.

Shooting at the enemy team is usually more productive when everyone else on your team has tunnel vision on using a charge shot to score the winning goal.

Menitta

I played a few matches. It's ok. It's a fun little thing. If Fed Force plays the same, I'm not gonna get it though. The arena feels really cluttered with 6 players. I don't like it that there's a meter for your blaster which is the main method of offends/defense. Also (this is my biggest complaint even though it's the smallest) the charge up time is slightly longer than the time it takes in Metroid Prime. I know it's a small complaint but it bothers me so much!

That being said, if you haven't downloaded it yet, do so. I still had fun with it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You have to make some progress in challenge mode to unlock it, I believe.

That's how I unlocked it in both my accounts, anyway. I think you have to beat Gamma.

That's not it. I haven't even played challenge mode. It just unlocked after doing the prior blast ball training and playing some matches (both against bots and online). Not sure how many, but not a lot as I've only played 8 or 9 total and played at least a couple of those after unlocking the training.

TheMoon

People were bitching and moaning about this game's graphics? I think they look damn fine.

Only reason people were bitching is the big head on tiny torso bodies. That was enough to instantly decide this game was worthless trash that shouldn't exist and everyone working on it should be fired or make a god damn Proper Metroid(tm) because rararaaaarrr I'm so angry!

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Only reason people were bitching is the big head on tiny torso bodies. That was enough to instantly decide this game was worthless trash that shouldn't exist and everyone working on it should be fired or make a god damn Proper Metroid(tm) because rararaaaarrr I'm so angry!

The best thing is, that new video they released had the producer explain why they went with that artstyle. It's kinda sad that they had to, tho.

People were bitching and moaning about this game's graphics? I think they look damn fine.

It's the style more then the raw visuals, chibi big head people inside chibi big head robots which look to be on sale of a regular suited person until you realise someone is sat inside.

It's very odd.

Regiruler

The ball is attracted towards your gun while charged.

Game changer.

Other things I've learned:
-While ejected, there's a sweet zone where you can go back in from the front so you don't lose time going around and re-orienting yourself.
-Uncharged shots give a flying ball serious airtime if you keep firing as a group.

TheMoon

The ball is attracted towards your gun while charged.

Game changer.

Other things I've learned:
-While ejected, there's a sweet zone where you can go back in from the front so you don't lose time going around and re-orienting yourself.
-Uncharged shots give a flying ball serious airtime if you keep firing as a group.

Oh so i wasn't imagining things!

Hale-XF11

Anyone play with the
lava
ball yet? That took me by surprise. I wonder how many different balls there are in this game.

Regiruler

WVW69jbCTcMh-Vdbcr

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0empgJK2A

LOLDSFAN

Played the training a bit and didn't like it too much... :/

Guess that's par for the course considering I don't like soccer either.

El Odio

Banned
I've played like 10 matches or so and have yet to encounter a hollow ball, had the lava one pop up a few times though,

Archaic, broken, tedious, non thrilling, dull enemies, with Prime 2 being the worst. Yep, FF is better.
I don't even know how to start responding to this. MP2 is one of my top 10 games of all time.

rekameohs

Banned
Tried a couple matches and I'm really, really not feeling it. The immediate hook of Rocket League this is not. The solid control scheme just makes me wish they had a handheld port of Prime, but maybe a remaster is better suited for the NX portable.

Got to play for about 30 minutes yesterday.

Blast Ball is fun, a decent little additional mode. The obvious comparison is Rocket League and BB definitely doesn't have the speed, sense of momentum or excitement of RL, but I'll still play it now and then for kicks.

Playing the training mode convinced me to pick up FF. The presentation is polished, graphics and performance are nice, and the action feels like a Prime game. The training got pretty intense and if the action in the main game is on that level it could be a really fun game.

The worst part about it is having to play in the 3DS. Accomodating the awkward shape and weight of the device while using triggers and face buttons is extremely uncomfortably. Might have to bust out the Kid Icarus stand for this one.

See ya in the FF OT gaf. Let's squad up.

The Boat

Played 30 min, seems fun, especially using gyro controls. Played online with no problems, looks good and plays fluidly. The controls would certainly fit Wii U better, but it doesn't seem like it will take long to get used to it.
Looking forward to FF.

gafneo

Banned
In the same week as the "mk8 is the worst mk" thread lol.

Different strokes, different folks. I personaly like MK8, but nothing is sacrad. MK64 was the series peak. After that, who could ask for something fresh and new? Metroid is one of those games that had enough games in it's library with a few masterpieces. Nintendo is being extremely generous to be giving us FF. The Prime series to me is all said and done. Who really wants to lose all of Samus's equiptment again, backtrack, fight Ridley, then upgrade to death. The real reason why Metroid is being ignored is because it's become the most copied game. We are seeing rocket jumps and Metroidvanias in basically everything sidescroller, or 3d related. Nintendo is going to be mocked for releasing a clone of past Metroids or a game that doesn't live up to the masterpieces. It's a lose, lose situation to try to please the fans. IMO, Metroid should expand with FF. I would rather see MP Metroid on NX, than a rehashed campaign.

If Metroid ever did a campaign again, it would need to compete with other huge games like No Man's Sky. Who wants to travel to 5 planets when that game lets you explore quadrillions?

The more I play this online the more I get annoyed by the ball physics, I have a strong feeling that the room host/leader has an advantage somehow because sometimes it's impossible to defend a moving ball even though you are shooting it nothing happens.

atbigelow

Tried this out for a bit. Online has never worked for me, but did a few solo matches.

I actually feel alright about it. Will probably get FF because of this.

YOUR GAMBIT WORKED, NINTENDO

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Tried it last night with some friends in local multiplayer. It was funny, and really felt like Rocket League somehow. It controls pretty well with the New 3DS c-stick. I wouldn't mind playing more of this.

This has sold me on never getting the game ever. This might be a bit of casual fun if it was on WiiU.

This further reminds me the N3DS's c-stick is just awful.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
This has sold me on never getting the game ever. This might be a bit of casual fun if it was on WiiU.

This further reminds me the N3DS's c-stick is just awful.

Don't use the C-stick/second stick, you don't really need it. Play it like Prime 1 with added gyro aiming. I think it feels better.

Regiruler

The more I play this online the more I get annoyed by the ball physics, I have a strong feeling that the room host/leader has an advantage somehow because sometimes it's impossible to defend a moving ball even though you are shooting it nothing happens.
I'm pretty sure the host does indeed get an advantage as I noticed it was a lot smoother for games where I had the switch, it's probably just an online version of how local play is constructed.

It needs some major QoL updates and a bug fix or two. There are too many AFKers, and people should be able to join between rounds (being able to spectate is nice though, and the voice clip system is miles better than what splatoon provides).

Jesus Christ, I found it absolutely terrible. I'm honestly surprised, because I thought the game looked ugly but the gameplay would be decent, coming from NLG, but it's clunky as hell. Stiff, slow, awful controls. It badly needs touch screen aiming. I'm suffering through matches just to get to the FF training as I'm never touching this mode again after that. From Luigi's Mansion 2 to something like this is mind boggling. I hope the main game plays better because it makes me doubt NLG as developers. Even with a low budget, even on a handheld, there's no excuse for something that plays like this.

Menitta

I tried giving it another shot. I didn't care for it originally and I like it even less now. 3v3 is too many people. It's way too crowded for the small arena. The charge time for the beam is way too long. I'll be charging it and then half the time I'll just completely miss, and the other half, I feel like it did nothing at all. I'll hit the ball and then it comes towards me?! So if it misses mostly, I should get closer, right? Well, not too close or it'll hit you and you'll die! In addition, the fact that your beam runs out is infuriating. Also, who's fucking idea was it to have the c-stick control only the Y axis?!

I didn't want to say this, but Metroid Prime, one of the greatest games of all time, deserves better than this. Also, I feel bad for not liking it. After all the stuff with development, the fact that this was Tanabe's 10 year dream, and the fact that his game has gotten so much hatred, I feel really bad for him! I wanted to like it. I really did. And the fact that I also feel this brings up even more negative feelings towards it.

I tried giving it another shot. I didn't care for it originally and I like it even less now. 3v3 is too many people. It's way too crowded for the small arena. The charge time for the beam is way too long. I'll be charging it and then half the time I'll just completely miss, and the other half, I feel like it did nothing at all. I'll hit the ball and then it comes towards me?! So if it misses mostly, I should get closer, right? Well, not too close or it'll hit you and you'll die! In addition, the fact that your beam runs out is infuriating. Also, who's fucking idea was it to have the c-stick control only the Y axis?!

I didn't want to say this, but Metroid Prime, one of the greatest games of all time, deserves better than this. Also, I feel bad for not liking it. After all the stuff with development, the fact that this was Tanabe's 10 year dream, and the fact that his game has gotten so much hatred, I feel really bad for him! I wanted to like it. I really did. And the fact that I also feel this brings up even more negative feelings towards it.

Switch to the alternate control scheme. The standard one is virtually unplayable, I don't know why it even exists.

The standard one is the superior classic Prime controls scheme with assisted gyro. WTF are you on.

Menitta said it:
"Also, who's fucking idea was it to have the c-stick control only the Y axis?!"

That was the worst thing I had ever played until I went into the menu and, thank God, saw that there was an alternate control scheme. Insane that there is no touch screen aiming, too, for a shooter on the 3DS, especially considering the previous Metroid shooter on DS did.

Props to you, though, because I have no idea how a game can be played like that.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Insane that there is no touch screen aiming, too, for a shooter on the 3DS, especially considering the previous Metroid shooter on DS did.
We have superior gyro aiming.

Craft

Menitta said it:
"Also, who's fucking idea was it to have the c-stick control only the Y axis?!"

That was the worst thing I had ever played until I went into the menu and, thank God, saw that there was an alternate control scheme. Insane that there is no touch screen aiming, too, for a shooter on the 3DS, especially considering the previous Metroid shooter on DS did.

Props to you, though, because I have no idea how a game can be played like that.

The problem with touch screen aiming is that left handed people (like me) tend to get screwed over, for example Dillion's rolling western is nearly unplayable for me.

Gyro aiming is great as it allows for precision aiming whilst still freeing your thumb up to use other buttons.

Lutherian

Tried it, Liked the controls (second scheme with the C "stick") but couldn't win the tutorial match, I obviously did something wrong (and I learned that the charge beam attract the ball).

TheMoon

What's it with all these insane opinions over the last week. Way more than usual.

One of the most highly acclaimed games ever is suddenly archaic garbage and hast controls that are virtually unplayable, the widely agreed on best Mario Kart game is the worst. Probably did blackout some more lol

Top Bottom