• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Totakeke

Reviews aren't marketing messages. Marketing messages are the outward expressions from Microsoft into the channel. Consumers are already aware of Microsoft, they are already aware of Surface and consistently the product has underperformed in the marketplace even with its supposed "Pro" target audience. By changing some of the innards they have somewhat disgruntled one Pro segment - artists, so I look for other segments that they might be targeting in the laptop replacement cycle. Pros have a product replacement cycle just like everyone else so I keep looking for "What is the Customer Profile" for the person who buys this with these generic marketing messages. (Yes, I currently do work for an advertising agency) The Customer Profile that they keep painting looks exactly like the one that isn't buying. Were they asking for MOAR POWER at any price?

Those aren't reviews. Those are first impression articles, headlining the introduction of a new product. That's the first thing people are supposed to read when they see the introduction of a new surface pro. Also, what exactly are you comparing the success of Surface Pro against? iPads?

Based on what you're saying you might as well say they should kill the Surface name because there's no chance of changing or improving the message. The device was just unveiled an hour ago.

Pooya

Now I'm conflicted, Surface pro 699€ or a Surface pro 3 799€

The pro 1 seem to have a more powerful hardware, but I like more the features of surface 3

Pro 1 has shit battery life in comparison, I don't think it's worth it anymore. If Pro 2 is discounted that's the one to get. For now hold.

Deku Tree

Lol, I was like you once:

It's not really a good experience. Reaching from the MBA trackpad to constantly touch the iPad screen gets tedious quickly (I even tried using the iPad screen as wifi monitor for a bit). One larger screen is better imo

NB: the Surface/Windows 8 has a nice screen tiling mode for multiple apps/documents

Nice pic! Touching both the iPad screen and the MBA trackpad never really bothered me that much. Personally one 10 or 11 or 12" screen is not large enough for me. My main computers and home and work both have 27" screens.

How do you manage both the iPad and MBA on your lap at the same time?

Why would I put both of them on my lap? Never did that before.

Appleman

Nope. Doesn't work for me. I want and need to look at a larger screen, or two larger screens full of my info. (I'm looking at scientific text BTW with lots of equations and things like that.) So I have no interest in shrinking the size of the text on my screen in order to see more things at the same time.

I totally use spaces in OSX all the time. Having another tablet screen next to you is better though IMO.

I'm with you, I do this all the time. Lots of times I'll have a formula sheet or textbook on my iPad while having assignment questions or my input on my 13" MBPr.

Often when I'm studying I have MacBook + iPad + Paper notebook in front of me. Way better than having one slightly larger display

Apath

Ugh I wanna mess around with mine but I can't right now :-( I'm gonna run comparison benchmarks later on this i5 model against my Surface 2 Pro. Which benchmarks should I run?
Skyrim would be a good game to test.
I'm with you, I do this all the time. Lots of times I'll have a formula sheet or textbook on my iPad while having assignment questions or my input on my 13" MBPr.

Often when I'm studying I have MacBook + iPad + Paper notebook in front of me. Way better than having one slightly larger display
Far less portable, but you can use video out to have multiple displays. I still opt for my iPad mini + SP1, but that's mostly because I don't have a monitor with HDMI.

Pooya

The new type cover actually supports Pro 1, Pro 2 and 2 too. I bought a type cover 2 a couple of weeks ago :\

This is the most puzzling part of their attempt to shed the "it's a tablet" image.

It's like the $100 wifi dongle for xbox 360, it's same business model. I don't think they make much money on the units themselves when you account for R&D and marketing..... but everyone wants one of those overpriced covers after they buy a surface right?

Phoenix

Those aren't reviews. Those are first impression articles, headlining the introduction of a new product. That's the first thing people are supposed to read when they see the introduction of a new surface pro. Also, what exactly are you comparing the success of Surface Pro against? iPads?

No. The iPad remains firmly a consumer product - even though there are a number of businesses that exploit it quite handily. Samsung and their army of Note and Tab Pro devices are the Surface Pros near peers in form factor. Laptops, however, are the buy of the corporate buyer and most Pros. However we've had multiple form factors for the laptop including the flipping, rotating, detaching screen and haven't seen an adoption change. Essentially you're trying to bring the market to the product which is substantially harder, and I question the size of the segment that they are charging for. What market penetration are they going after with the segment that they want to reach because consistently they have underperformed and nothing about this seems to suggest a difference in strategy.

Based on what you're saying you might as well say they should kill the Surface name because there's no chance of changing or improving the message. The device was just unveiled an hour ago.

What you are talking about isn't a marketing message. A marketing message is what MICROSOFT says about its product, not how the product is perceived or received by the press. I see a similar thing with the Xbox One marketing. "No its not selling well, but lets keep the same message in the channel... if we just stick with it eventually it will click." And people keep buying the competition.

tokkun

And yes, it has changed. Win7 is a fat cow compared to 8 in HDD and RAM use. Plus you can move the recovery partition to an USB drive and have that space for use.

Has the actual tech changed though?

7 did not take up a lot of disk space initially. The disk use increases over time because Windows never throws away old versions of libraries and it keeps around the data that gets patched via Windows Update. So once you have run the OS for 2 or 3 years, it is a lot bigger than it initially was.

So you see why simply observing that W8 currently doesn't use that much space is not enough to conclude it won't use a lot of space 2 years from now.

Totakeke

The Verge has a hands on video up. Writing looks very responsive.

Like I said, the device has just been unveiled and you're already making conclusions. I'm not sure what you expect to happen at this point. That suddenly everyone has a new perception of the Surface devices just because a new device has been unveiled? Why are you talking about all these as if it's a forgone conclusion? You can make all these statements with or without a new device unveiling. So I'm not getting your point. Also, in general Windows 8 hybrids have failed to take off. What sources are you quoting that mentions specifically that Surface Pro alone has underperformed against other similar devices at the same price range? It may not have lit the industry on fire, but what I've read seems to suggest it's selling decently within it's own category.

7 did not take up a lot of disk space initially. The disk use increases over time because Windows never throws away old versions of libraries and it keeps around the data that gets patched via Windows Update. So once you have run the OS for 2 or 3 years, it is a lot bigger than it initially was.

So you see why simply observing that W8 currently doesn't use that much space is not enough to conclude it won't use a lot of space 2 years from now.
Wasn't this changed a couple years ago for 7 and 8?

RoKKeR

Damn, looks like they finally got it right. Prices seem in line with Apple's stuff. Might pick up an i5/8GB RAM/256GB SSD model.

ampere

Looks cool, but even with the screen size increase I really do not recommend these for gaming. Got a Pro 2 and tried to game on it (Diablo 3) and it just didn't work for me at all. Had to return it.

I don't generally like laptops though.

NeOak

I guess you missed the update for Win7 that eliminates this.

Check disk cleanup.

Looks cool, but even with the screen size increase I really do not recommend these for gaming. Got a Pro 2 and tried to game on it (Diablo 3) and it just didn't work for me at all. Had to return it.

I don't generally like laptops though.

What do you mean by "didn't work for me at all"? This guy has Diablo 3 running fairly smoothly on the first gen Surface Pro.

Normally pre-authorized at preorder and not charged until shipped.

Thanks! Looks like my fate is sealed.

sca2511

I think people have difficulty understanding that it is not a tablet, and if they want "just a tablet," then this isn't the product for them.

Personally, Microsoft's marketing has been very clear from the start, it was never pitched as anything but a tablet/laptop hybrid at a pretty competitive price.

Yep. Three iterations and I can't believe people are still confused with that. This is a laptop and tablet.

Pooya

front view with keyboard attached looks great with keyboard just going to the screen and no bezel in sight.

aa5_story.jpg

So them going to a N Trig from Wacom.. is that good?

Always heard great things about Wacom and not about N Trig. Curious to know from some more experienced here.

danwarb

That's a huge tablet. I'm disappointed with everything that isn't a windows pro tablet nowadays. The extra functionality with those things is very useful now.

It's not really too big as a laptop replacement.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
That's a huge tablet, maybe too big. I'm disappointed with everything that isn't a windows pro tablet nowadays. The extra functionality with those things is very useful now.

Agreed, both Ipads and Android tablets feel crippled to me in comparison (to be fair, those are straight up and up tablets - the Surface is a laptop).

Top Bottom