• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Going to write code on that shitty touch cover? Still a small tablet + a proper laptop wins in that scenario IMO. A nexus 7/iPad mini retina included in a laptop bag makes next to zero difference in weight, once you put the power adapter for the notebook in there.

What shitty touch over? I have a type cover, and for any serious typing I plug in a USB desktop keyboard.

A "proper laptop" makes absolutely no difference. The OSs and user experience is identical. It surpasses ultrabooks in level of portability, and costs the same, if not less, than ultrabooks of this range.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
What shitty touch over? I have a type cover, and for any serious typing I plug in a USB desktop keyboard.

A "proper laptop" makes absolutely no difference. The OSs and user experience is identical. It surpasses ultrabooks in level of portability, and costs the same, if not less, than ultrabooks of this range.

Ignore them. They're not used to tablets with features... like a usb..

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Looks bloody awesome, but will iterate what I just tweeted:

Only a 16GB RAM model would have tempted me to bite this quickly.

Price isn't surprising for a device to replace both an iPad/Android tablet and a middle-tier laptop.

Why would win9 influence your decision at all? It's windows, you are going to be able to upgrade to it pretty easily.

Going to write code on that shitty touch cover? Still a small tablet + a proper laptop wins in that scenario IMO. A nexus 7/iPad mini retina included in a laptop bag makes next to zero difference in weight, once you put the power adapter for the notebook in there.

That's before we get to the absurdity of a 1.76lb brick as a "tablet". Anything heavier than the iPad mini isn't comfortable as a tablet, including the iPad air.

The type cover is better than the sony vaio and dell laptops I used to own...

coldfoot

Banned

How does it surpass ultrabooks in portability if you have to lug around a usb keyboard to do decent typing on? I mean, just look at this, does this shit look comfortable at all to you?
surface_pro_3_4.jpg

Editing a PSD on both my tablet and desktop PC?
In my initial post, I said "I'm sure there are some artists who'd use it but that's a specialty market that won't generate many sales." So I understand the drawing/artist people.
But who else?

Sai

Does this mean I have to purchase a $5 dollar accessory to be able to hold the pen along the tablet?
Seems like they could've just included it with every Pro 3 at that price.

Agreed. They did all sorts of things to make this more compelling for artists (aspect ratio, working with Adobe on touch-enabled UI, more robust hinge) and then take away the most important aspect for it for visual artists: the wacom digitizer.

Now we need to see how well it stacks up in terms of accuracy and useability, but it also completely killed my enthusiasm. Looks like the SP2 is going to remain my portable workstation going forward.
LIke a giant bucket of cold water... Obviously, this isn't going to be such a deal breaker for those who aren't running stuff like Sketchbook on this thing every day. And I love how responsive it seemed to be... It's almost perfect in every way but this. :(

I'm holding out for the next iteration. Hopefully, they'll have Wacom back, and will be able to retain most of the features introduced today.

... LTE would also be very nice. Dude was quoting that paragraph from Stern's article, where she mentioned 4G amongst other things, and that was another, smaller letdown when I realized that Microsoft wasn't going for that this time.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

That's before we get to the absurdity of a 1.76lb brick as a "tablet". Anything heavier than the iPad mini isn't comfortable as a tablet, including the iPad air.
the type cover is a very good laptop keyboard.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
How does it surpass ultrabooks in portability if you have to lug around a usb keyboard to do decent typing on?

Why do you need portability and a work keyboard at the same time? Take it to work, plug in the keyboard. Take it to your work station, plug in the keyboard. Going on the train? Use your type cover. Going to the bathroom, use your virtual keyboard.

Can this play Hearthstone?

My Pro 1 is all I have ever played Hearthstone on. Been playing touch only for months before the ipad version was released. People who play HS with a mouse are weird..

Lucius86

Banned
Surely they will receive the best Windows update.

If they release it as a free upgrade, then that would be awesome, but I can't see that happening. I would expect SP3 owners to have to pay to go Win 9.

Personally I'd rather wait for a new device (SP4/5 by then) with an overall Win 9 appearance, including the probable new branding (i.e. the Windows logo). I hate inconsistency, and if they change the start menu logo and I have the old Win 8 logo, it will bug me no end!

How does it surpass ultrabooks in portability if you have to lug around a usb keyboard to do decent typing on?

"Decent typing" (writing some emails or coding a couple hours in a coffee shop) is covered by the type cover. It's perfectly serviceable for that, and I've never had any issues with typing on it. Serious (as in extended paper writing, prolonged coding, or gaming on it) keyboard usage isn't in a portable environment. That'll be at home or in my office, so my desktop keyboards are stored in...wait for it...my desks.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Can this play Hearthstone?

I think I'll save and get the $1k version.

Yep. I play Hearthstone on my 8 inch Dell Venue 8 Pro and it's awesome. Only thing is emotes don't work because you can't right-click. They are eventually releasing a Windows 8 app version too.

I'm an expert

Yep. I play Hearthstone on my 8 inch Dell Venue 8 Pro and it's awesome. Only thing is emotes don't work because you can't right-click. They are eventually releasing a Windows 8 app version too.

Hold down on any Windows touch machine. That's right click.

You've been playing wrong all this time..

Really glad they changed the screen ratio; 16:9 drives me crazy on a tablet. Will be really curious how the new digitizer works, my main interest in one of these would be as a drawing tablet.

Carlisle

as a tablet, its the most powerful tablet on the planet with one of the best resolutions.
As a tablet, it's also one the largest and heaviest tablets on the planet.

as a laptop, its the slimmest and one of lightest.
As a laptop, it's also got the one of the poorest performance/price ratios

its single device in your bag that is capable of taking handwritten notes in class and playing dota 2 at near max settings.
There's the advantage, really. But does the price justify being able to do that? You're not gonna be gaming much in class, and once you get home most people will prefer a standard PC or laptop to game on. Maybe for that long road trip or flight? I just don't really see needing both a tablet and PC in one device.

I just think when it comes to a tablet's greatest advantages over laptops: size, weight, and portability, it fails miserably. And when it comes to a PC's greatest advantages over tablets: computing power and performance/price ratio, it fails miserably. It excels in power compared to other tablets because there's really a PC in there, and it excels in size compared to other laptops because it's all crammed into a gigantic heavy tablet.

Anyway, didn't mean to pick on your post specifically. You just had all the points I wanted to address so neatly laid out :) I realize there is a market for this device, otherwise they wouldn't keep making it, and more power to those who get real efficient value out of it for their dollar. I'd just rather get a light laptop and pay 3/4 to 1/2 the price.

It's a sexy device though, I gotta hand it to them.

I'm an expert

As a tablet, it's also one the largest and heaviest tablets on the planet.

As a laptop, it's also got the one of the poorest performance/price ratios

There's the advantage, really. But does the price justify being able to do that? You're not gonna be gaming much in class, and once you get home most people will prefer a standard PC or laptop to game on. Maybe for that long road trip or flight? I just don't really see needing both a tablet and PC in one device.

I just think when it comes to a tablet's greatest advantages over laptops: size, weight, and portability, it fails miserably. And when it comes to a PC's greatest advantages over tablets: computing power and performance/price ratio, it fails miserably. It excels in power compared to other tablets because there's really a PC in there, and it excels in size compared to other laptops because it's all crammed into a gigantic heavy tablet.

Anyway, didn't mean to pick on your post specifically. You just had all the points I wanted to address so neatly laid out :) I realize there is a market for this device, otherwise they wouldn't keep making it, and more power to those who get real efficient value out of it for their dollar. I'd just rather get a light laptop and pay 3/4 to 1/2 the price.

It's a sexy device though, I gotta hand it to them.

It's the same argument we've had since 1. Your points aren't wrong, but what do other tablets excel at.. playing youtube videos or angry birds..? Neat. I use this machine in a gigantic firm to direct all of my work flow with multiple full version applications. I use this machine at home to play Hearthstone on the toilet. Where do I lose..? Weight..? Nah, I'm good, I lift.

Lazaro

So I'm guessing that rumour about Apple releasing a 12.9 or 13.3 inch iPad with Digi Pen was true then.

Smart Move, Microsoft

I'll be enjoying my 1st-Gen Surface Pro for awhile, until indie games became super resource hungry.

dem

The size is inconvenient if you're used to an iPad mini...
A full sized iPad is just as much of a pain to hold imo. The kickstand is really a killer feature on the Surface.

My bathroom entertainment is an iPad mini.
If i had to choose between a full sized iPad or a Surface to take to a conference.. I'd take the surface every time.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So I'm guessing that rumour about Apple releasing a 12.9 or 13.3 inch iPad with Digi Pen was true then.

Smart Move, Microsoft

I'll be enjoying my 1st-Gen Surface Pro for awhile, until indie games became super resource hungry.

Huh?

the type cover is a very good laptop keyboard.
As someone that uses SP2 as my everyday machine I agree.
If they release it as a free upgrade, then that would be awesome, but I can't see that happening. I would expect SP3 owners to have to pay to go Win 9.

Personally I'd rather wait for a new device (SP4/5 by then) with an overall Win 9 appearance, including the probable new branding (i.e. the Windows logo). I hate inconsistency, and if they change the start menu logo and I have the old Win 8 logo, it will bug me no end!
I don't think they are going to charge users to update from 8.x to the next 8.x or 9, or whatever they call it. We live in a software world where it's expected that you get all the updates and I think it's probably a big goal for MS to get people updating their OS version much faster than in the past. That's always been an issue for them.

I doubt the logo will change anytime soon.

Looks nice, but my 256GB SP2 will have to do until the SP4 comes out though. Suppose that's the computer game though, you either hop on what you want or wait endlessly for the next, better model.

I think I'll likely just get the new Type Cover 3 or the next Power Cover. The touch pad looks great

As someone who owns a SP2, I don't think you'll need a power cover unless you're going to be constantly playing PC games or going on extended trips. The long battery life was the most surprising thing about the SP2 to me, so it's great that it's more improved for the SP3. 9-10 hours of usage is perfect for me. I would recommend just getting the Type Cover to keep it light.

I have to say, the one feature I wish they would bring to the SP2 is the OneNote above the lock screen feature and clicking the pen to wake it into OneNote. That's an awesome feature. Unfortunately I can't justify paying for a SP3 right now, so I'll wait and get next year's model.

For those who end up getting this, I'm jealous and I'm sure you'll love it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just some rumour my classmate told me a couple a months ago. I looked it up and sites like cultofmac and 9to5mac are saying Apple has some new breed of iPad.

That rumour came to mind when I saw the Surface Pro 3.

Ahhh! God that would be awesome.

sarcastor

http://blog.surface.com/2014/05/chocolate-peanut-butter-surface-pro-3-adobe-photoshop/

Screenshot-6-e1400536013514.png

- You can now take better advantage of Surface Pro 3’s touch and pen capabilities. Pinch and zoom with your fingers or pan using two fingers on the screen.
- You can zoom and pan or zoom and rotate at the same time by coming gestures.
- The touch targets and the size of the UX icons are 200% larger than the previous version of Photoshop CC.

YESSSSS. So I can get a Surface 1 for cheap and finally use photoshop properly hopefully :)

Before I heard about this announcement I was thinking of getting a SP2 to replace my aging PC. Mostly I would use it for, steam games that I can't use on my Mac Book Pro (more indie-like games like Spelunky), Paint.net (nothing major or profestional just the ocational art/craft stuff I need done. Don't care about the loss of pen sensitivity), to be able to use my scanner (Mac Book hates the damn thing) there is a great DnD 4thed character app that I buddy of mine made, and other random things that just work better with a PC then on a Mac.

So what do you all recommend SP2 or get a new shiny SP3 (what version)?

Note: I also have an ipad.

I'm an expert

Before I heard about this announcement I was thinking of getting a SP2 to replace my aging PC. Mostly I would use it for, steam games that I can't use on my Mac Book Pro (more indie-like games like Spelunky), Paint.net (nothing major or profestional just the ocational art/craft stuff I need done. Don't care about the loss of pen sensitivity), to be able to use my scanner (Mac Book hates the damn thing) there is a great DnD 4thed character app that I buddy of mine made, and other random things that just work better with a PC then on a Mac.

So what do you all recommend SP2 or get a new shiny SP3 (what version)?

Note: I also have an ipad.

The 2 will drop in price like the 1 did. It is an excellent machine. You won't regret it.

http://blog.surface.com/2014/05/chocolate-peanut-butter-surface-pro-3-adobe-photoshop/

Screenshot-6-e1400536013514.png

- You can now take better advantage of Surface Pro 3’s touch and pen capabilities. Pinch and zoom with your fingers or pan using two fingers on the screen.
- You can zoom and pan or zoom and rotate at the same time by coming gestures.
- The touch targets and the size of the UX icons are 200% larger than the previous version of Photoshop CC.

YESSSSS. So I can get a Surface 1 for cheap and finally use photoshop properly hopefully :)
This great news.

watership

jon really doesnt like microsoft.

He's comparing an ipad air to a surface 3 as well, which is disingenuous. It's more comparable to a Macbook Air, that's lighter and has a higher resolution screen.

His sort of comparison is like saying "This phone won't even fit on my wrist!"

jelly

They need to start bundling the type cover or offer a substantial discount if bought with a Pro. I can't help but think the mark up is obscene.

Sai

Last I had heard, N Trig was... not so good...
Has that changed?
If the reactions from this thread are anything to go by, for serious artists, I'd say no.

At least, for simple writing, the impressions have been awesome so far. It looked really responsive.

He's comparing an ipad air to a surface 3 as well, which is disingenuous. It's more comparable to a Macbook Air, that's lighter and has a higher resolution screen.

His sort of comparison is like saying "This phone won't even fit on my wrist!"

I don't think so. He is just pointing out the problems that a hybrid device can have. As a thing you hold in your hands, it's a little heavy, as a thing you put on your lap, it's a little awkward, and as a thing you put on a desk, it's a little underpowered. Depending on how you want to use the device, it might not be for you.

Personally, I am interested in it for the drawing tablet aspect which is a super specific use where I think it does excel compared to it's competition, as long as the new N-trig pen doesn't suck.

Pooya

Last I had heard, N Trig was... not so good...
Has that changed?

It probably won't make a difference in OneNote or similar, inferior specs aside it just doesn't have the great support Wacom has in popular applications like clip studio paint and others with their FEEL IT drivers. Sounds like MS is working with Adobe to get Photoshop working well with it at least, so it might not be so bad still people are familiar with wacom and use their own pens usually and that won't go well here.

Top Bottom