• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Animator

Is this true about the pen?

It uses 1 AAAA and 2 319 coin cell batteries

WTF?

God damn it, so close to perfect art tablet :/

The cintiq companions have shit hardware and are too expensive.

I know man :(

I think our best option is to pick up a SP2 with the inevitable price drop.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
wD2k7o3.png

jon really doesnt like microsoft.

I still think the machine is neat and I liked the tablet features for sports/paint/web browsing, but I would caution someone who would buy it intending to play games a lot. If possible it I'd recommend trying playing a game on it before buying, though that can be difficult to arrange unless a friend/family member owns one.

Gotcha, agreed--definitely not my first choice for gaming.

Arkanius

THIS IS MY NEXT

I have been waiting all my 6 years of University for something like this.
And now I'm finishing my Master's...

Jigolo

Yep MS got it right. 3:2 is the best aspect ratio for big screen tablets. It's better than the 16:10 android tablets and the 4:3 iPad.

Google's chromebook got it right with the Pixel and now MS is getting it right.

Need more android tablets with this.

kharma45

If you're living in an all-Metro world the DPI scaling has dramatically improved. In desktop-land? Not so much. It's the only thing holding me back from buying one of those sweet, sweet 4K 27" displays for my PC.

That's the fault of the people making those programs, not Microsoft. Windows itself scales fine.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm fine with 256 levels of pressure sensitivity (like my first Wacom tablet had) but I just found out that N-Trig doesn't work with Zbrush yet. That's a huge bummer. Hopefully they get that working before it launches or else I may look into getting a SP2 when the price drops.

Pooya

how many months after surface 2 did surface 1 go on firesale for $500?

Pro 1 was reduced to $600 when Pro 2 was released I think, now in April this year it went down as low as $450 in some places on occasions. I don't think you'd be able to find Pro 2 for $500 or the like anytime soon considering the specs and battery life are about same this time, only form factor is different. It might take a while I think.

coldfoot

Banned
The problem with this device is who the fuck wants a windows tablet? Let alone an expensive one? Why not make a laptop like the Macbook Air and sell it cheaper? What is the point of the touchscreen on this device when the apps aren't designed to use it, other than the few W8 store apps no one uses? I'm sure there are some artists who'd use it but that's a specialty market that won't generate many sales.

Still, the 3:2 aspect ratio is awesome. Loved it in the iPhone originally, but now everything is 16:9 and iPad sticks to the past with 4:3.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The problem with this device is who the fuck wants a windows tablet? Let alone an expensive one? Why not make a laptop like the Macbook Air and sell it cheaper? What is the point of the touchscreen on this device when the apps aren't designed to use it, other than the few W8 store apps no one uses? I'm sure there are some artists who'd use it but that's a specialty market that won't generate many sales.
*raises hand slowly* me

Ugh...Microsoft.

I'm on your team. I really am. And part of me really, REALLY wants a Surface Pro.

But, as someone who doesn't have $1,600 around to drop on a whim, if you're going to price these babies in that range I NEED to not feel like I'm having to sacrifice anything I would get in a laptop for that price.

For $1,600 I could get a Yoga that comes fully-featured WHILE being just as portable.

These things REALLY need to be cheaper.

With an average screen, extremely poor battery life, no ac WiFi and USB 2.0 ports.

No thanks. And I was very, very close to buying a Yoga 2 Pro.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The problem with this device is who the fuck wants a windows tablet?

Lots of people. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro and it's awesome to be able to use it as a tablet like I do most of the time yet still have access to full Windows software when I need it.

sca2511

Still, the 3:2 aspect ratio is awesome. Loved it in the iPhone originally, but now everything is 16:9 and iPad sticks to the past with 4:3.

I guess I'm no one

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

as a tablet, its the most powerful tablet on the planet with one of the best resolutions.

as a laptop, its the slimmest and one of lightest.

its single device in your bag that is capable of taking handwritten notes in class and playing dota 2 at near max settings.

the sp2 is a great device and the sp3 looks much better.

Azulsky

So far I have been unable to price an equivalent spec ultrabook

>1080p
12/13" screen
256gb SSD
i3 or i5 I
8gb Ram

For 1450 which is the lowest 8GB model + kb

Im not seeing how its that expensive but curious to be proven wrong

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
as a tablet, its the most powerful tablet on the planet with one of the best resolutions.

as a laptop, its the slimmest and one of lightest.

its single device in your bag that is capable of taking handwritten notes in class and playing dota 2 at near max settings.

the sp2 is a great device and the sp3 looks much better.

Not if you use tablets to draw and paint :/ my note 8 has a petter pen than this.

I do.

I don't want a full-on "tablet" that has no connection to my desktop Windows PC, so iPads, Kindles, and Android tablets are all useless to me. I use my SP2 as an ultrabook 99% of the time, which for all intents and purposes functions exactly like one and doesn't really cost that much more than ultrabooks of this range. The main advantage is it being way more portable than any ultrabook I've owned.

When I want a "tablet" I unplug it from my external monitor and remove the mouse + keyboard and just go with the screen by itself, then I load up some apps. The only ones I give a shit about are Netflix and IE, which is hands down the best "tablet" internet browser of all time, simply by virtue of it having basically the same functionality of a desktop browser, so I don't need "apps" for Rdio or Gmail when I just load it up on IE.

It's hard to believe you genuinely think these devices have zero appeal to anyone.

Nearly perfect laptop/tablet hybrid for me. Too bad I'm not in the market for a new computer right now because this would be amazing for school.

So no Wacom support at all?

Fuck man everything about this is perfect and then that...
I haven't been all that enthused by the Wacom support in my Pro 2, so perhaps this is actually an improvement. It appears very responsive and accurate in the clips. Pressure sensitivity is down, and it needs a battery, but otherwise it might be better.

Lucius86

Banned
Looks bloody awesome, but will iterate what I just tweeted:

Well the #SurfacePro3 does look awesome - but can't replace my SP2 this quickly & releasing close to Win9 release = bad long-term investment

Only a 16GB RAM model would have tempted me to bite this quickly.

Price isn't surprising for a device to replace both an iPad/Android tablet and a middle-tier laptop.

nullref

Looks fairly nice -- in particular, the limited angles of the kickstand were always a problem whenever I tried an older Surface. The pricing seems reasonable for the components involved. It's not really for me, as I care a lot more about the keyboard/trackpad experience than pen/touch, and I'm not into Windows. But, I'm glad Microsoft is doubling-down on their laptop/tablet hybrid idea, rather than trying to compete with the iPad directly. Things are more interesting that way.

The hardware definitely seems like a preview of what Apple is likely to target with a Retina Macbook Air, in terms of size, weight, and screen resolution -- except in a more traditional laptop form factor, of course.

What do you mean by "connection"?
Your e-mail/photos/files are on both devices via the cloud. What other "connection" do you need?

Mostly development shit. I need to be able to sit down and open a dev environment I'm 100% functional and familiar with.

Is it something based out of stubbornness? Probably. Plenty of other people in my lab code on Macbooks, but I've always been most productive with Windows work-wise and intend to keep it that way. Nobody in the lab codes on an iPad, however, and I can definitely say I can fully code on the Microsoft equivalent of an iPad.

Lynn616

I will be buying this as a Laptop. Also, the Windows Stores has thousands of apps made for touch screen. I use many of those apps everyday on my current laptop.

coldfoot

Banned
Mostly development shit. I need to be able to sit down and open a dev environment I'm 100% functional and familiar with.

Is it something based out of stubbornness? Probably. Plenty of other people in my lab code on Macbooks, but I've always been most productive with Windows work-wise and intend to keep it that way. Nobody in the lab codes on an iPad, however, and I can definitely say I can fully code on the Microsoft equivalent of an iPad.

Going to write code on that shitty touch cover? Still a small tablet + a proper laptop wins in that scenario IMO. A nexus 7/iPad mini retina included in a laptop bag makes next to zero difference in weight, once you put the power adapter for the notebook in there.

That's before we get to the absurdity of a 1.76lb brick as a "tablet". Anything heavier than the iPad mini isn't comfortable as a tablet, including the iPad air.

f0lken

Your e-mail/photos/files are on both devices via the cloud. What other "connection" do you need?

A Photoshop CC account that can be used to work on your desktop and on your tablet is a good example.

Going to write code on that shitty touch cover? Still a small tablet + a proper laptop wins in that scenario IMO. A nexus 7/iPad mini retina included in a laptop bag makes next to zero difference in weight, once you put the power adapter for the notebook in there.

Is there even a touch cover for the Pro 3? I thought it was only the type cover

I'm not about to bash this N-trig implementation until I try it. Killing parallax is a big deal for me based on my past experience with pen tablet systems. I hate having batteries in the pen, but maybe it's alright?

As far as general turnoffs, the big one for me is really just the platform. I think it's a great ultrabook but still a very problematic tablet. (though one with a great niche!)

3:2 is the same aspect ratio as GBA, right?

Yes. But this screen has ~3 million pixels at 12 inches while the GBA had ~40 thousand at up to 3 inches. Suffice to say, technology has improved.

iavi

This looks amazing, but I'll probably shoot for a Surface Pro 2 if they drop in price now that the 3 is coming out.

Yep. and refurbished 2s, if you're willing to go for a refurb unit, will probably be dirt cheap once the 3 is out in the wild, much like the SPro1s are.

Looks bloody awesome, but will iterate what I just tweeted:

Only a 16GB RAM model would have tempted me to bite this quickly.

Price isn't surprising for a device to replace both an iPad/Android tablet and a middle-tier laptop.
Surely they will receive the latest Windows update.

StudioTan

Editing a PSD on both my tablet and desktop PC?

Top Bottom