• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

It probably won't make a difference in OneNote or similar, inferior specs aside it just doesn't have the great support Wacom has in popular applications like clip studio paint and others with their FEEL IT drivers. Sounds like MS is working with Adobe to get Photoshop working well with it at least, so it might not be so bad still people are familiar with wacom and use their own pens usually and that won't go well here.

Hrm. My main issue with the Wacom pen is that it isn't... wholly accurate. The sizzle reel however made it look super duper accurate with the new pen, and while I get that's probably faked to a large portion, I personally can't tell the difference between 256 and 1024 sensitivity levels.

Maybe I'll try it out at a Best Buy or some such.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
What do you mean by "connection"?
Your e-mail/photos/files are on both devices via the cloud. What other "connection" do you need?
the ability to access network shares?
UNC patch to my desktop?

Looks bloody awesome, but will iterate what I just tweeted:

Only a 16GB RAM model would have tempted me to bite this quickly.

Price isn't surprising for a device to replace both an iPad/Android tablet and a middle-tier laptop.
Since when is windows 9 releasing this fall?

Ignore them. They're not used to tablets with features... like a usb..
I lol'ed.

surfaceproartist wrote a little bit on NTrig here http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/5/20/surface-pro-3-announced-and-its-awesome-but

going to do a in depth comparison later, but yeah for serious artists surface pro isn't any good any more

YPvOCX6.gif

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The Wacom shit is real disappointment.. This fucking device would be considered the ultimate device, (even more so..)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I bet this wacoms doing. Why license the tech to ms for the sp3 when it would be competing with cintiq companion

Sp3 has a better aspect ratio for artists
Faster processor
Better screen
And cheaper!!

Who the hell would buy a cintiq companion or hybrid?

Pooya

Is there any chance that MS could release an "artist pen" down the line with greater sensitivity?

It's not exactly a crowded market, the "artist pen" is wacom and wacom only as it stands, everything else is just good and intended for writing only pretty much. And it's just not about a simple pen, for wacom to work they need to have an entirely different digitizer assembly behind the screen, it works fundamentally differently than NTrig here. I imagine to make pro3 this thin it had to be cut or it was getting too expensive. I imagine sales of pro1/2 were cutting into high end wacom sales too...

I'm a little amazed at the price comments. It's a high-end ultrabook, complete with an i7 processor and a >1080p screen, with extremely high build quality, squeezed into a tablet form factor. How much did you think such a device would cost? $500? Come on. I could see hoping it would be $50 or $100 cheaper, considering that they still insist on selling the (absolutely essential) type cover separately, but being downright shocked at the prices? Come on.

Yeah, they really just need to bite the bullet on including the type cover, ESPECIALLY if its being positioned as a laptop-killer.

At least you can use your Type Cover 2 with it, if you have one, though it won't completely cover the screen.

Yeah, they really just need to bite the bullet on including the type cover, ESPECIALLY if its being positioned as a laptop-killer.

At least you can use your Type Cover 2 with it, if you have one, though it won't completely cover the screen.

This. Not including the type cover for those prices is ridiculous.

It's amazing how with the SP3, they gave me absolutely everything I was hoping for... then removed the Wacom digitizer.

It's amazing how with the SP3, they gave me absolutely everything I was hoping for... then removed the Wacom digitizer.

it is shocking that they don't at least include the touch-cover. shocking. That and the prices should be way cheaper for the keyboards.

VoxPop

Exactly what I was thinking. I was on the fence to buy one of these bad boys after playing with the SP2 but that Wacom thing really killed it for me since thats what I wanted most.

Also $130 for a keyboard cover is pretty ridiculous.

I'm debating if the SP2 would be a worthwhile purchase now and if it would last me at least 2 years.

sqwarlock

I kept waiting and waiting for a perfect art tablet to come out, and it seemed like this was it. Then they had to go and dump the Wacom integration. My Intuos3 pen is firmly ingrained in my hand's muscle memory, and it would have been awesome to use it with the Surface.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was on the fence to buy one of these bad boys after playing with the SP2 but that Wacom thing really killed it for me since thats what I wanted most.

Also $130 for a keyboard cover is pretty ridiculous.

I'm debating if the SP2 would be a worthwhile purchase now and if it would last me at least 2 years.

Yeah. If the SP2 wasn't 10" I would bite as soon as the price drop hits. But it's just that TINY bit too small for my liking. 12" and ratio finally becomes the perfect size for digital art and they remove the Wacom digitizer. smh

coldfoot

Banned
I'm a little amazed at the price comments. It's a high-end ultrabook, complete with an i7 processor and a >1080p screen, with extremely high build quality, squeezed into a tablet form factor. How much did you think such a device would cost? $500? Come on. I could see hoping it would be $50 or $100 cheaper, considering that they still insist on selling the (absolutely essential) type cover separately, but being downright shocked at the prices? Come on.

You can get an i7 ultrabook for around $1000-1100, this is $1549 with i7

MutFox

Banned

Yeah, that Wacom digitizer... :/
Well, waiting for the SP2 to go on sale now... :D

Also wanted a version of the SP3 to come with a SIM card slot... :\

I'll probably end up biting on this anyway. I've been using a Wacom PL500 for the last 10 years and that's only 256 levels of pressure. This just means combining my laptop and that into an HD, portable workspace.

Pooya

sounds like pro2 price won't be dropping anytime soon http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/20/microsoft-will-continue-to-sell-the-surface-pro-2-at-least-for-now/

“Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 remain great options and will stay in market at this time.”

I really think they should have waited for Broadwell to come out.

they're updating these every 7-8 months now, it won't be a problem. At this rate, this time next year pro4 is out with broadwell and windows 9.

Pooya

yeah, but pro1 was heavily discounted like that because it was discontinued already. It might not be here yet.

Animator

256 levels of pressure is not the problem (honestly nobody is going to notice it in actual use). The problem is whether ntrig will be supported in all the apps like zbrush, mudbox, maya, sketchbook pro, etc.

Lucius86

Banned
Since when is windows 9 releasing this fall?

Next year there are solid rumours Win 9 will be in early stages of testing, so end of 2015 isn't unrealistic, and in-line with a SP4 release. For plumping down the price on a device this expensive, it doesn't seem like a good long term move, cost effectively, when these devices are released (end of August).

Yes you likely can buy a £60 upgrade to Win 9, but again I would like consistent branding.

If i didn't have a sp2 I would snap a SP3 up - but these factors are negating my desire to sell my sp2 to upgrade. It makes more sense to wait, with newer CPUs and the greater chance of it launching in line with a new OS.

VoxPop

Hopefully a lot of outcry about the Wacom tech will make them do a 180 like they did with the XBONE? One can dream.

800$ for 64 GB of storage? I thought this was trying to compete with Laptops? If I was to replace my laptop with this, wtf am I supposed to store on it? I wonder how much of that storage is actually usable...They say 64 but some of it has to be taken up by the OS and pre installed apps.

TxdoHawk

The 2 will drop in price like the 1 did. It is an excellent machine. You won't regret it.

I'm not so sure, now that the loss of Wacom in the SP3 has reared it's ugly head. Artists could snap all the SP2's up before the price sinks too low...I also imagine they didn't make eight billion of them like they seemingly did with the SP1.

800$ for 64 GB of storage? I thought this was trying to compete with Laptops? If I was to replace my laptop with this, wtf am I supposed to store on it? I wonder how much of that storage is actually usable...They say 64 but some of it has to be taken up by the OS and pre installed apps.

This was a big complaint with the SP1, so much so that Microsoft released updates to Windows 8 designed to shrink the amount of space the OS took up.

All part of the upselling game, though.

What don't you like about the Surface Pro 2?

It's fine, just a little bulky still and the one I played with, I felt could afford to be faster. Haha, and I was hoping the Wacom accuracy would improve in the next iteration.

It's not a tablet god dammit lol.
Well, when tablets were getting rumored and just before ipad was announced, SP is basically what I was expecting tablets to be. So if the definition of a tablet is an over-sized phone without the phone part... I'll probably never have one. I'm defining it by form factor and portability.

Blackhead

Redarse
256 levels of pressure is not the problem (honestly nobody is going to notice it in actual use). The problem is whether ntrig will be supported in all the apps like zbrush, mudbox, maya, sketchbook pro, etc.
If it doesn't work then complain to developers. After all Photoshop wasn't supported when the Wacom Surface Pro 1 was launched and that was eventually rectified. If Microsoft using Ntrig is the kick in the backside needed for art tools dev industry to stop sucking Wacom's dick then it might turn out to be a silver lining.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

And the batteries!

If it doesn't work then complain to developers. After all Photoshop wasn't supported when the Wacom Surface Pro 1 was launched and that was eventually rectified. If Microsoft using Ntrig is the kick in the backside needed for art tools dev industry to stop sucking Wacom's dick then it might turn out to be a silver lining.

I wish! So sick of them overcharging for shitty specs. The price they ask for cintiqs is ridiculous considering how horrible the screens are.

Animator

It is not a question of complaining to the devs. MS needs to make sure it is properly supported. I don't have the luxury of buying this and hoping it would get supported "one day". I make my living with this stuff.

Bogus

This device looks incredible. I haven't used this particular digitizer before -- I need to try it out for myself or at least hear some first-hand impressions before passing judgment -- but I'm not joined at the hip with Wacom either. It's not a huge disappointment to me to hear Wacom isn't on board.

Wacom is a lovely brand. They're a lifestyle. They've done an excellent job marketing their line of products to professionals, and a lot of folks swear by them. The thing is, they've also done a great job at making a lot of people think that Wacom is the only product that can service high-end artistic needs. Every artist has their preferred workflow, their usual style, their own set of idiosyncracies. And there are a number of different digitizers other than Wacom out there that can suit people very well if given the chance. I've personally felt just as comfortable using a 50$ Monoprice tablet that uses UC-Logic as I have with a 300$ Intuos.

I'm hopeful that the N-Trig implementation works well, because if it does, I'm all in on this as a portable art and music recording/production station -- quiet, powerful, portable, and compatible with all of the creative programs I'm already familiar with. Sensitivity levels make for an impressive bullet point, but 256 of them have done fine by me in the past (even compared to 1024). It's not a cut-and-dry difference, so I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

giga

It's hard to compare this to both the MBA and MBP Retina. The MBA has similar internal hardware, but the display is ass. The MBP has a similar display, but the internal hardware (CPU and GPU) is faster.

My prediction is that I don't see mainstream consumers choosing this over a $900 MBA. I'd double down on this for the fact that the keyboard is a $130 addition and that the base "64GB" Surface only has 36GB free.

Top Bottom