• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

dem

Snap makes ios seem dated/limited as fuck.. and i much prefer Metro IE to safari..

Too bad about the app store though.
The basics are there.. but its just stale. Very slow to grow. Too much CRAP populating the charts.

I'm not really huge on apps though. im 95% of the time browsing the web.. even on ios.

front view with keyboard attached looks great with keyboard just going to the screen and no bezel in sight.

aa5_story.jpg

I NEED THIS ON THIS COLOR

dLMN8R

Isn't the i3 more than enough for most tasks? I mean hell, the Bay Trail Atom chip in my Venue 8 Pro and my HTPC are fast enough for most tasks, and the i3 is a hell of a lot faster than that.

Anyone have gaming benchmarks for this particular i3 vs. i5 vs. i7?

NeOak

Snap makes ios seem dated/limited as fuck.. and i much prefer Metro IE to safari..

Too bad about the app store though.
The basics are there.. but its just stale. Very slow to grow. Too much CRAP populating the charts.

I'm not really huge on apps though. im 95% of the time browsing the web.. even on ios.

Apps? This isn't the RT. This is full blown Windows.

f0lken

Isn't the i3 more than enough for most tasks? I mean hell, the Bay Trail Atom chip in my Venue 8 Pro and my HTPC are fast enough for most tasks, and the i3 is a hell of a lot faster than that.

Anyone have gaming benchmarks for this particular i3 vs. i5 vs. i7?

Yeah, but those 64GB :/

Totakeke

But yeah, just don't expect the popular Android or iOS apps to come over, you'll just be disappointed.

Engadget said:
More important than the higher pixel count, perhaps, is the new pen tech. With this generation, Microsoft ditched Wacom and instead used an N-Trig active digitizer. We know, we know: this probably sounds like inside baseball to all but our most hardcore readers. In truth, though, it's a better experience. The pen, first of all, has been redesigned so that it feels more like a normal ink-based pen. Indeed, it does feel more substantial in the hand, not that I had many complaints about the pen that came with the Surface Pro 2. Also, the screen has just enough friction that when I write on it, I feel like I'm writing on paper (or as close as you can get, anyway).

Blackhead

Redarse
Nice pic! Touching both the iPad screen and the MBA trackpad never really bothered me that much. Personally one 10 or 11 or 12" screen is not large enough for me. My main computers and home and work both have 27" screens.
Aye, I'm probably going to a combo of Surface Pro 3 and mac pro mini with a HiDPi desktop display if I can find it. I might also grab a iPad mini retina for some apps but I just prefer the bigger display for reading stuff and the SP3 and Samsung Note 12" are the largest retina/HiDPi Tablets available right now

Why would I put both of them on my lap? Never did that before.

A common criticism of the Surface Pro has been that it doesn't work on a lap like a regular notebook. A combo of iPad + 11" MBA just isn't portable or 'lapability' like the new surface pro.

Vyer

It's funny reading through the thread and really highlights the issues MS faces with hybrids. Everyone's all over the map trying to compare this with tablets and/or laptops, depending on the angle you want to take.

In any case, I'm interested to see one of these in person. Screen seems nice and getting it at 2 pounds is pretty decent.

No Wacom is a huge bummer. Otherwise I think it looks solid. Seems like the Pro 3 is meant to coexist with the Pro 2 in a more equal fashion than the Pro 1 and Pro 2.

The fuck?
They got rid of the wacom?

Might as well just buy a Dell Venue Pro tablet then, the main appeal of the Surface Pro was teh Wacom tech.

Something wrong with that price/perf combo?

It's not terrible but when you consider you're paying $130 for the cover it's kind of... meh? Especially when they're using a 4300U instead of a 4250U. You could buy a third party keyboard, mouse and USB hub cheaper but at that point it's not really a laptop replacement is it?

It's not bad but it's just... meh. It's all 15W TDP parts which is fine when you're playing on the MBA side of the spectrum. But when you're trying to shoehorn a 15W i7 part into the case and then go up against the rMBP price point with it's big boy i7-4750HQ (or 4850HQ) plus having to buy the $130 keyboard it's like, why exactly am I going through this exercise when Windows has such terrible DPI scaling anyway?

NeOak

The fuck?
They got rid of the wacom?

Might as well just buy a Dell Venue Pro tablet then, the main appeal of the Surface Pro was teh Wacom tech.
Asus Note 8 has Wacom, I've used my Surface Pen on it.

Oh, you mean the 11? With that Synaptics digitizer? Ewww. I've tried it on the DVP8 with the A01 pen. N-Trig is better.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Asus Note 8 has Wacom, I've used my Surface Pen on it.

Oh, you mean the 11? With that Synaptics digitizer? Ewww. I've tried it on the DVP8 with the A01 pen. N-Trig is better.

Why not use a better N-trig pen? 256 levels and a AAAA battery? Why not 512 at least a USB rechargeable pen? It would suck to have to buy batteries while on a plane. Such a shitty downgrade.

btrboyev

Wondering why no wagon pen and the OneNote quick feature could have been enabled by putting the pen close to the screen.

Either way though, it doesn't affect me wanting this. I'm not an artist.

I'm tired of the price issue people have with Surface Pro's. These are premium computers in tablet form. Every bit as quality as any Mac device.

btrboyev

It's not terrible but when you consider you're paying $130 for the cover it's kind of... meh? Especially when they're using a 4300U instead of a 4250U. You could buy a third party keyboard, mouse and USB hub cheaper but at that point it's not really a laptop replacement is it?

It's not bad but it's just... meh. It's all 15W TDP parts which is fine when you're playing on the MBA side of the spectrum. But when you're trying to shoehorn a 15W i7 part into the case and then go up against the rMBP price point with it's big boy i7-4750HQ (or 4850HQ) plus having to buy the $130 keyboard it's like, why exactly am I going through this exercise when Windows has such terrible DPI scaling anyway?

Didn't Microsoft significant ly improve its dpi scaling with 8.1? Pretty sure it did.

NeOak

Wondering why no wagon pen and the OneNote quick feature could have been enabled by putting the pen close to the screen.

Either way though, it doesn't affect me wanting this. I'm not an artist.

I'm tired of the price issue people have with Surface Pro's. These are premium computers in tablet form. Every bit as quality as any Mac device.

Most likely because Wacom would have charged a lot, plus they haven't updated the tech in years other than the Cintiq lines. You have to use the "Penabled" or whatever pens that are years old tech :/.

N-trig already works fine on 13", see the Vaio tablet 13".

And no, you can't do it that way. Getting the pen close to the screen already activates the palm rejection plus the pen is really just an inductor on a capacitive screen.

Ouch, my aunt just told me she bough a Surface pro 2 for her... Do I break the news to her or not?

If she got it at a MS store, they have a 14 days no questions asked returns policy.

ampere

Mostly a preference thing. The game ran, though the mouse sensitivity was pretty "off" in game, while it was fine in the menus. The small screen size and keyboard form factor just didn't work for me when playing a game. I have somewhat small hands, but I couldn't really fit them on it.

I still think the machine is neat and I liked the tablet features for sports/paint/web browsing, but I would caution someone who would buy it intending to play games a lot. If possible it I'd recommend trying playing a game on it before buying, though that can be difficult to arrange unless a friend/family member owns one.

yeah, it's same 4400 and Core i5 4300U. Now we don't know what the Core i7 or i3 model is or if they have a different GPU (probably not)

The Core i3 doesn't have a 15W part with a 5000 series GPU and the 15W i7 with a 5000 series is $426 on the tray compared to $393 for a 4400HD series. So I'm guessing they're both going to be 4400 series parts.

kazinova

If it can play LoL in a decent resolution/framerate I'll be selling my RT (or more likely giving it to a family member) and buying an i5 SP3. As long as the pen is not atrocious.

Wonder if I'll be able to play with one at a Microsoft store soon?

x3sphere

I just bought an SP2 last month, but, not sure I feel compelled enough to sell it and get this. The higher res screen is nice but Windows doesn't handle DPI scaling anywhere near as well as OSX. Chrome fonts look blurry on my SP2, and that's probably going to be even more pronounced at higher res.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Is this true about the pen?

It uses 1 AAAA and 2 319 coin cell batteries

WTF?

God damn it, so close to perfect art tablet :/

The cintiq companions have shit hardware and are too expensive.

Most likely because Wacom would have charged a lot, plus they haven't updated the tech in years other than the Cintiq lines. You have to use the "Penabled" or whatever pens that are years old tech :/.

N-trig already works fine on 13", see the Vaio tablet 13".

And no, you can't do it that way. Getting the pen close to the screen already activates the palm rejection plus the pen is really just an inductor on a capacitive screen.

If she got it at a MS store, they have a 14 days no questions asked returns policy.

return it!

Told her about it, now it's up to her. She's not too happy about the increased size, but loved everything else.

BTW: Can we expect different battery lives with different setups (processor and cpu), or it's going to be around the same for all?

Brakke

Banned
Seriously considering picking one of these up. Just ran a Civ V campaign this weekend... every time I launch it and get that "launch DX10 version or Windows 8 with touch version" I get a really stupid techlust desire for a touchscreen.

I don't understand the pricing on the memory though. Why not start with the lower memory and then pick up an SD card if you decide you need it? You can get 128 gig Micro SD cards for like $100 vs the $300 or $400 premium for the onboard storage...

If it can play LoL in a decent resolution/framerate I'll be selling my RT (or more likely giving it to a family member) and buying an i5 SP3. As long as the pen is not atrocious.

Wonder if I'll be able to play with one at a Microsoft store soon?

Surface Pro 1 is able to run the game at 1080p with shadows on low, some stuff on medium and still keep higher than 30fps.

This should be even better.

Has the actual tech changed though?

7 did not take up a lot of disk space initially. The disk use increases over time because Windows never throws away old versions of libraries and it keeps around the data that gets patched via Windows Update. So once you have run the OS for 2 or 3 years, it is a lot bigger than it initially was.

So you see why simply observing that W8 currently doesn't use that much space is not enough to conclude it won't use a lot of space 2 years from now.

I guess you missed the update for Win7 that eliminates this.

Check disk cleanup.

I ran Disk Cleanup a month ago, noticed old Win7 installations were taking up a large part of my hard drive, and deleted it.

Start my PC the next day and the boot loader is missing. All my system restore backups are gone too and various command line fixes didn't work either. Had to get a Linux OS of a USB key to backup my hard drive before reinstalling Windows.

I'll stick with my SP2. I love it but other than the slightly larger screen, which I honestly don't think I need, there's nothing here that makes me wanna jump to an SP3.

Plus SP3s are expensive as fuck.

Top Bottom