• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Patroclos

Banned
The controls are seriously unresponsive on the PS4 version, it really pisses me off, don't understand how today's games still have this problem

i'm all for an option to disable Vsync if that means better, responsive controls and a tiny bit better framerate

You keep saying this but they feel pretty good to me. Weighty yes, unresponsive, no. Stupid question but did your TV get taken of the "Game" setting? Do you have a "Game" setting on your TV? It can reduce controller input lag.

Also, what was the last game you played a lot? If TLoU or something like that it may just be moving from one to the other makes you notice the differences more.

So does it live up to the reviews? Probably going to go pick it up tonight.

[Repost from last night]

Few quick impressions:

• Game looks great and so much better than these Ultimate Edition titles like Last of Us or Tomb Raider. Built for PS4 shows, and anyone who says TLoU looks better is simply lying and likes the game better.

• Combat feels way more dangerous than Assassin's Creed or Batman. Fighting a mob feels more like Dark Souls at the beginning. I barely escaped dying thinking I'd easily take down a mob. Being able to be hit while doing finishing moves is a great addition and makes combat much more of a thinking game (compared to say Ryse).

• Mordor is ugly, and that's good. It just feels like death, like the Wasteland from Fallout at its worst. There is no sanctuary, no towns (at least so far), and no real allies; only an endless sea of orc's all desperate to kill you (with different levels of commitment to that goal). This feels great.

Have to go to bed. Now some ugly potato-faced orc named something the Mad wants to kill me on top of all my other problems.

People are out for blood after Destiny. Every minor problem with any AAA title will now result in "OVERHYPED LETDOWN 0/10" no matter how good the game is. This game is great so far.
Game is awesome! But my goodness, I don't know how anybody could have claimed this was 60fps. Its so very clearly 30.
Yeah. I switched for PvZ Garden Warfare to this and, coming from a solid 60fps in PvZ, this game is definitely not 60fps.

lmbotiva

Chances of me buying this on GMG and still get the preorder goodies? I have the ps4 version on my hands buy reading the pc performance thread makes it seem that the game is fairly optimized

TTUVAPOR

Banned
People are comparing it to Batman: AC and Assasin's Creed. Are those games like Ryse?

The combat system sure as hell is. Now you can't just get up and start flying everywhere in RYSE obviously, but the central gameplay mechanics of RYSE seem exactly the same as Shadow of Mordor, and the other games you mention.

Arken2121

I haven't touched the story yet but i'd say it lives up to the reviews, for the most part:

-Game looks great on max settings with optimization to match. I haven't had any slowdowns since I started playing, even with +20 orcs on the screen.

-Combat is very smooth and a lot of fun. Very similar to Batman but i'd say quite a bit harder(especially with indicators turned off).

-The Open-world is very large, takes quite a bit of time to traverse Mordor's ugly plane.

-Nemesis system is pretty hilarious. Orc kills you, you come back to find him, he then taunts you as he remembers slaying you thus causing you to be pissed.

Kilau

So, this is not 60fps on PS4?

3sv828.jpg

I don't have elf eyes :(

It "feels" like its higher than 30fps, but I don't think we have any confirmation yet.

Typomancer

Neo Member
This game is amazing. I bought it and have played it last night on both the PC and PS4, and I actually enjoy it more on the PS4 since something—I guess tessellation—is slowing down the game on my PC.

Game looks beautiful on both platforms. The only things that seem to be missing on the PS4 version, graphically, is tessellation and some shader effects for the wraith. The framerate is perfectly smooth on the PS4 and actually better than my PC, which surprised me, as my PC is no slouch. Makes me want to upgrade my card.

Anyways, the combat is great after you get it down. Very much Batman + brutality + dismemberment, not like Assassin’s Creed to me. When I played on the PC at the surprise midnight release, I immediately stumbled into three Uruk captains at once, and, being that I was playing with a DS4 and not quite familiar with the controls, got my ass stomped.

Then I played through the start again on my PS4, silently thanking that cutscenes can be skipped (seriously, I am so happy about this, especially after suffering no cutscene skipping in Destiny). I was owning everything left and right. I only died once to an ambush while I was engaged with a captain, when another Uruk captain (and his profile did say “Ambushes his target”) shot a fucking explosive arrow into my face when I had low health from off screen. I wasn’t even mad because it set the first Uruk captain on fire, he got mad, then I was killed by some random Uruk that immediately got promoted. Incredible.

Qwark

People are comparing it to Batman: AC and Assasin's Creed. Are those games like Ryse?

I haven't played Ryse personally, but kinda, some people have made that comparison. Ryse doesn't have as much depth, it's a bit of a shallow Arkham clone (combat-wise) from what I've heard.

The combat system sure as hell is. Now you can't just get up and start flying everywhere in RYSE obviously, but the central gameplay mechanics of RYSE seem exactly the same as Shadow of Mordor, and the other games you mention.

The big difference is in Ryse once you start finishing moves you activate hyper armor or whatever you want to call it and are invulnerable until the execution is over. In SoM, the other orcs you're fighting can still harm you while you're finishing off dudes on the ground. Makes it much more challenging.

IvorB

Okay so this game is too easy is that right? Oh man, that's a deal-break. They were doing so well but a game with no challenge doesn't really scratch any itch for me. And no difficulty settings is just inexcusable. And for that reason I'm out.

Arken2121

Okay so this game is too easy is that right? Oh man, that's a deal-break. They were doing so well but a game with no challenge doesn't really scratch any itch for me. And no difficulty settings is just inexcusable. And for that reason I'm out.

Turn off the indicators, Good luck.

Edit: This is especially true when you have 2 enemies attacking you at once.

Levyne

Banned

Try with the indicators off.

Was going to just dip my toe in before jumping into Horizon 2 and ended up playing for two hours. Managed to run into three orc captains right off the bat and tried to flee. Those bastards (and like 20+ regular orcs) somehow followed me around until I started a mission. I was going to complain about the cheap, cheating AI until I got some intel on one of the captains and learned he had the Tracker trait. Definitely going after him first.

So this is basically a LOTR-style RYSE?

Uh, no.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The big difference is in Ryse once you start finishing moves you activate hyper armor or whatever you want to call it and are invulnerable until the execution is over. In SoM, the other orcs you're fighting can still harm you while you're finishing off dudes on the ground. Makes it much more challenging.

Eh...seems like it will get repetitive in no time. I watched the twitch stream for about 10 minutes, the combat looks somewhat entertaining, but no amount of ability unlocks, etc will change the core of the game which is slasher-style button mashing. I've played the Batmans and ACs, they get boring quickly, just not my cup of tea I suppose.

antitrop

It seems to be a gaming background kind of thing. I'm watching the Giant Bomb QL right now and they seem to be saying that the game gets much more complex as it goes on.

I'm going to go into the game with that mindset and not write off the difficulty too quickly.

I haven't played Ryse personally, but kinda, some people have made that comparison. Ryse doesn't have as much depth, it's a bit of a shallow Arkham clone (combat-wise) from what I've heard.

I've not played SoM or Ryse so I don't know myself. I thought Ryse was all button prompts and qtes from videos I've seen.

It looks a whole lot like Assasin's creed to me, Batman wise I'm not seeing too much of that but once the game turns up I'll know for sure. Actually there's a detective mode type thing which is Batman-esque.

Arken2121

It seems to be a gaming background kind of thing. I'm watching the Giant Bomb QL right now and they seem to be saying that the game gets much more complex as it goes on.

I'm going to go into the game with that mindset and not write off the difficulty too quickly.

It certainly can get difficult right off the bat. Just an example earlier I mentioned was I immediately started a Power Struggle mission right when the game started and it had me surrounded by at least 20 orcs. Not to mention these dudes had shields/spears which made it quite a bit harder.

KePoW

Banned
Eh...seems like it will get repetitive in no time. I watched the twitch stream for about 10 minutes, the combat looks somewhat entertaining, but no amount of ability unlocks, etc will change the core of the game which is slasher-style button mashing. I've played the Batmans and ACs, they get boring quickly, just not my cup of tea I suppose.

We've already told you this game is like the Batman and AC open-worlds. So if you don't like those, then don't play this.

Syrus

Banned

You watch shark tank? I hear turning off indicators helps a bit. Let some guys kill you and evolve too

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If you consider solving Riddler puzzles as something to do in Batman, or seeing how long you can fly through hoops in Gotham, then sure. It does have more to do. But that's not the selling point in the game.. nor is it even done by most people who play the game.

Yeap.. It does offer a lot of variety.. but it's still an on-rails RPG. You can't go ANYWHERE.

And of all the tons of weapons with different animations, most people select their role and play with that. Which narrows down the animations to a small handful. No decaps, no brutal kills either. I'd rather have main weapons and then just level them up (which is what DS does too.)

Yes, and none of them are going to be as fun as the Nemesis system. On top of that, you still have to grind to advance in the game or move forward in the plot. Dying respawned the same enemies in the same locations.

Bosses were awesome in DS2.. but for the most part couldn't be beat solo. Teaming up made the boss fights a pushover. Which defeated the purpose of being strong enough to beat them. And all of them had attack patterns that, given enough defeats, could be beaten.

-M

giphy.gif

Seems as though many are jumping the gun with early impressions. I'm still waiting on my copy to be delivered, but mechanically and stylistically, I feel that I 'get' what this game is aiming to deliver. If it happens to get more complex the more you play, even better. I simply want to antagonize and hunt Orc captains that respond to our encounters and level based on our prior history.

mauaus

I was breezing through the first area taking out anyone i faced but all of the sudden i was fighting 3 high level (captains?) at the same time, i got brutalized quick :( All 3 got promoted

Combat is so damn satisfying. Only thing I don't like are that orcs can still attack you in the middle of when you're trying to execute a guy on the ground after you've knocked him down. I press R2+square and can't finish it because I have to counter other guys right away.

Arken2121

I was breezing through the first area taking out anyone i faced but all of the sudden i was fighting 3 high level (captains?) at the same time, i got brutalized quick :( All 3 got promoted

Same damn thing happened to me except there were 5(one of which was an archer pelting me from a distance). Love it.

Edit: To poster above, I haven't had any issues when using kb+mouse. Sorry to hear about yours. The only thing I can think of is maybe lowering the sensitivity down a bit to reduce the erratic activity.

Levyne

Banned
Combat is so damn satisfying. Only thing I don't like are that orcs can still attack you in the middle of when you're trying to execute a guy on the ground after you've knocked him down. I press R2+square and can't finish it because I have to counter other guys right away.

Yep that's mildly annoying but at least you ARE able to cancel and parry before taking the blow.

Yep, it's the same in the Arkham games too. You can choose an upgrade that makes those executions quicker, it helps a bit but you still have to counter during the animation sometimes.

You keep saying this but they feel pretty good to me. Weighty yes, unresponsive, no. Stupid question but did your TV get taken of the "Game" setting? Do you have a "Game" setting on your TV? It can reduce controller input lag.

Also, what was the last game you played a lot? If TLoU or something like that it may just be moving from one to the other makes you notice the differences more.

No, I think there is an issue somewhere. I have the same problem on PC. Not necessarily with all commands but some of my commands never go through unless I mash them multiple times.

Haroon

I suggest you build up the combo meter by using your wraith touch, and just execute the enemies. It's much faster.

Patroclos

Banned
Yeah it's pretty lame, especially when other debs have been so open this gen about these types of details. This video game cowboy industry really pisses me off sometimes.

I beg to differ. The vast majority of devs and publishers this gen become sheisty, snake-oil peddling, huckster, side-stepping politicians at the mere mention of FR or RES. Very few are doing it right. Many wait as long as humanly possible to reveal the info others never do. Kojima is the ONLY one who stands out for being honest in this regard. Journalists are the only ones who are in a position to change this shitty trend. Unfortunately we will never have a video game journalist with the balls or integrity to do so in the Media-Dev-Pub circle jerk shitshow that passes for "games coverage".

fedexpeon

Banned

That is a good thing.
Execution sequence with invincibility frame is stupid.
You shouldn't be allowed to to perform your 1hr execution scene without an enemy deciding you are taking too long bro.

Arken2121

I suggest you build up the combo meter by using your wraith touch, and just execute the enemies. It's much faster.

That and clicking on enemies just AS you land a hit to increase you meter by 1. Very effective for getting those finishers more quickly.

Top Bottom