• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

S1kkZ

RE: Pre-order bonuses on PS4.

None of them installed with my copy during pre-load. Went back to the PSN store and on the gamepage a drop down menu showed up with two options, one having the 'purchased' icon and the other just stating 'free'. Switched to free and all of a sudden all the pre-order stuff automatically downloaded for me.

there is no drop down menu in the psn store for me.

Camper182

You keep saying this but they feel pretty good to me. Weighty yes, unresponsive, no. Stupid question but did your TV get taken of the "Game" setting? Do you have a "Game" setting on your TV? It can reduce controller input lag.

Also, what was the last game you played a lot? If TLoU or something like that it may just be moving from one to the other makes you notice the differences more.

Yes mate my TV and other games are fine.

lol at "weighty" , its pure and simply delay... i've gotten sort of used to it now, i still hate it though, it puts a huge damper on the otherwise nice game.

To anwser your question about what game i played before: Destiny, yes, a 30 fps locked game with great responsiveness, no delay...

Saiyan-Rox

Installed and been playing for a bit. as per usual with my rig I keep getting FPS drops all the time -_-

Can't seem to have a constant 60fps drops as soon as I start running

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To anyone playing, fucking with enemies is my favorite thing in open world games. Will the nemesis system allow me to step my fuckery up?

To anyone playing, fucking with enemies is my favorite thing in open world games. Will the nemesis system allow me to step my fuckery up?

You should watch the Giantbomb QL The nemesis system will step up your Fuckery

Are there story missions? Like cutscene - mission - cutscene - mission - cutscene - mission. Or all you do is running around, killing orcs?

It is a proper game. Story , Side Content and the Nemesis system.

30 hours worth of content.

Arken2121

Absolutely. You can literally dominate one orc, have him move up the ranks and increase his power massively and then you can fight him.

Mideon

there is no drop down menu in the psn store for me.

If you go to the games page on the store and click on choose a version then select the free one the extras will download.

Is there only supposed to be 3 extra DLC with the PSN version?

It's pretty much the entire purpose of the nemesis system. I've only done maybe 4 story missions and spent 4-5 hours running around killing Orcs and powering up. There's this one hunter guy who's a total badass and always kills me though, he's super strong now =(

EDIT: Also that Dark Ranger skin is terrible. You just look like a generic cloaked guy.

VanWinkle

I find it pretty funny that no one can give a straight answer on framerate. I'll just have to see for myself after work.

They probably ambush you on purpose to jump start the nemesis system.

It's definitely 30. I don't notice any weird fluctuations like in Infamous Second Son, and it's definitely not 60, so...

S1kkZ

If you go to the games page on the store and click on choose a version then select the free one the extras will download.

Is there only supposed to be 3 extra DLC with the PSN version?

like i wrote, there is no option to select stuff. only overview / recommendtions.

Patroclos

Banned
Yes mate my TV and other games are fine.

lol at "weighty" , its pure and simply delay... i've gotten sort of used to it now, i still hate it though, it puts a huge damper on the otherwise nice game.

To anwser your question about what game i played before: Destiny, yes, a 30 fps locked game with great responsiveness, no delay...

Makes sense. I'm not as susceptible to the feeling or don't notice as much as you I guess. Destiny sure does feel fucking good @ 30 to me though. I can see the difference you mean in that regard for sure. I guess I thought they wanted it to feel that way. lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You should watch the Giantbomb QL The nemesis system will step up your Fuckery

It is a proper game. Story , Side Content and the Nemesis system.

30 hours worth of content.

Absolutely. You can literally dominate one orc, have him move up the ranks and increase his power massively and then you can fight him.

It's pretty much the entire purpose of the nemesis system. I've only done maybe 4 story missions and spent 4-5 hours running around killing Orcs and powering up. There's this one hunter guy who's a total badass and always kills me though, he's super strong now =(

EDIT: Also that Dark Ranger skin is terrible. You just look like a generic cloaked guy.
*rubs hands*

Excellent. No way to watch the QL since I'm at work for a long time but these all sound like exactly what I was hoping for.

It's definitely 30. I don't notice any weird fluctuations like in Infamous Second Son, and it's definitely not 60, so...
Cool, I'm guessing motion blur is tricking people. I'm fine with 30 but I wish I hadn't gotten my hopes up for 60 based on earlier impressions.

J3ffro

I'm watching the GB Quick Look with one eye while doing work with the other. Brad & Dan briefly touched on the wraith mode, comparing it to detective mode or eagle eye mode - but also said you can jump off whatever without fear of taking damage when you are in wraith mode.

I'm curious, while in wraith mode are you essentially invisible? I'm ~15 minutes in and he's walked around a fair bit in wraith mode and no one has seemed to see him while doing that.

That is a good thing.
Execution sequence with invincibility frame is stupid.
You shouldn't be allowed to to perform your 1hr execution scene without an enemy deciding you are taking too long bro.

This is what made Ryse stupidly easy.

I definitely feel the Souls influence with the combat difficulty and health system. No more regenerating health bars, Bungie!

VanWinkle

Just watched some of the Giant Bomb quick look. Wow they really seem to love the game.

*rubs hands*

Excellent. No way to watch the QL since I'm at work for a long time but these all sound like exactly what I was hoping for.

Cool, I'm guessing motion blur is tricking people. I'm fine with 30 but I wish I hadn't gotten my hopes up for 60 based on earlier impressions.

That's exact same with me. I am totally fine with 30fps w/motion blur but I kind of got my hopes up based no what everybody was saying. Still, it's very smooth and has a great camera-based motion blur implementation (haven't noticed any object-based motion blur but it may have it).

I'm watching the GB Quick Look with one eye while doing work with the other. Brad & Dan briefly touched on the wraith mode, comparing it to detective mode or eagle eye mode - but also said you can jump off whatever without fear of taking damage when you are in wraith mode.

I'm curious, while in wraith mode are you essentially invisible? I'm ~15 minutes in and he's walked around a fair bit in wraith mode and no one has seemed to see him while doing that.

Wraith mode is purely visual. Enemies have pretty poor awareness, so you can get away with a lot of non-stealthy movements, which is what's happening in the video.

There is proper stealth movement, and you can hide in bushes. Environment traversal (like climbing walls or walking rope, etc) are inherently stealthy, too. The yellow/orange triangles over an enemy indicate their awareness.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Has anyone skipped any cutscenes? I did one time just to get moving with progression. Overall the combat is entertaining. I came from hating LOTR because the MMO was so dull, but this has shown another side to the series. It you hate the MMO try this. You don't have to deal with running around searching for wool or helping out villagers with letter delivering.

They focus on a sandlot battleground which is really neat. The story is anything you make it IMO.

The Nemesis feature in this game looks incredible. Pretty much everything looks pretty incredible but the Nemesis system in particular makes this seem much more like a next gen game than pretty much anything else so far this gen. So cool.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's what GiantBomb's QL said...NO WHERE else it is mentioned. I wonder why?

"To break it down, some of the stuff we're pretty confident will still be very similar on current gen: the core mechanics, like combat, stealth, ranged and movements; the basic control and gameplay, that should all be really solid," Monolith Design Director Michael De Plater told IGN. "What it won't have is the same level of depth and variety and simulation within the 'Nemesis system.'" De Plater added that the Nemesis system is "just so huge in terms of content, calculations and AI we'll just have to try and get as much of it in as we can."

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/20/shadow-of-mordor-enemies-less-devious-on-xbox-360-ps3/

I know I've said this before but this has got to be one of my favorite walking animations of all time, seriously. The way the Dark Ranger cape bounces is hypnotizing. Going from those amazingly brutal-for-no-reason finishing moves straight into the walk is the stuff of legend.

I know I've said this before but this has got to be one of my favorite walking animations of all time, seriously. The way the Dark Ranger cape bounces is hypnotizing. Going from those amazingly brutal-for-no-reason finishing moves straight into the walk is the stuff of legend.

Link?

JimPanzer

god damn, they haven't put one thought into remote-play. just switch the god damn R2/L2 buttons to R1/L1 on the vita and put R1/L1 on the touchscreen. hope they patch this.

Experien

I meant moreso in reviews and recent stuff. They mentioned it before, over half a year, and never brought up again. And the fact that people are saying the Nemesis System makes the game amazing, makes it more surprising that no one is making it clear that the differences between the PS360 version and the PS4Xbone versions are more than cosmetic. That is the importance I feel of this situation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I meant moreso in reviews and recent stuff. They mentioned it before, over half a year, and never brought up again. And the fact that people are saying the Nemesis System makes the game amazing, makes it more surprising that no one is making it clear that the differences between the PS360 version and the PS4Xbone versions are more than cosmetic. That is the importance I feel of this situation.
We're hitting the point where the PS3/360 versions of cross gen games are going to be awful.

Levyne

Banned

I tried to make it clear in the OT that last gen versions are a whole different developer. There hasn't been a lot of information on those versions at all.

Top Bottom