• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm how do you actually install the HD Content pack on PC? I clicked download on the store and it was added to my account. I see it in the DLC list when I right-click on the game but it's not installed... I tried launching the game but it still didn't download.

Szadek

I meant moreso in reviews and recent stuff. They mentioned it before, over half a year, and never brought up again. And the fact that people are saying the Nemesis System makes the game amazing, makes it more surprising that no one is making it clear that the differences between the PS360 version and the PS4Xbone versions are more than cosmetic. That is the importance I feel of this situation.
It's probably because the PS360 version isn't out till november.

I meant moreso in reviews and recent stuff. They mentioned it before, over half a year, and never brought up again. And the fact that people are saying the Nemesis System makes the game amazing, makes it more surprising that no one is making it clear that the differences between the PS360 version and the PS4Xbone versions are more than cosmetic. That is the importance I feel of this situation.

It wouldn't be mentioned in any reviews because reviews for those versions don't exist yet. The last-gen game comes out in November, I think.

Patroclos

Banned
It shows up in my game but it's locked off for some reason...
Weird. I have yet to go home and see the status on the PS4. It says downloaded on the store site on my laptop though. Now I am antsy.. I want that skin, not a fan of his outfit, too caveman like somebody else said, plus as others said it covers up the hair.

Experien

We're hitting the point where the PS3/360 versions of cross gen games are going to be awful.

Are we? We are getting there but I think it is a bit early to omit this from a review/report at the launch of a game. You come to the OT for all the info and it mentions PS360 versions but nothing about this significant piece of information?

Regardless, I asked 4 friends if they knew about the lack of Nemesis and they didn't know at all (one has PS4, one who just started reading about the game, and one reads Polygon daily).

timkunedo

Played for a bit at lunch. Man the acting is fantastic. The story (the beginning anyway) seems really good. I already care about Talion and what happened at the beginning. That's a rarity these days in video games.
Going to take a bit to get the controls down.

Weird. I have yet to go home and see the status on the PS4. It says downloaded on the store site on my laptop though. Now I am antsy.. I want that skin, not a fan of his outfit, too caveman like somebody else said, plus as others said it covers up the hair.
No I downloaded it through and through, it's just locked off when I try to access it in-game. I'm a little annoyed now :-/

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Played for a bit at lunch. Man the acting is fantastic. The story (the beginning anyway) seems really good. I already care about Talion and what happened at the beginning. That's a rarity these days in video games.
Going to take a bit to get the controls down.

Yeah.. it feels more like a 300 type of game. Nothing in the world matters, just fight, but there's also a
lover

Stephen Totilo was right. It makes you sad there's such a wait. lol

Man, there are so many people in the last couple of pages trying to convince themselves this isn't a great game. It fucking is! Their loss.

J3ffro

Wraith mode is purely visual. Enemies have pretty poor awareness, so you can get away with a lot of non-stealthy movements, which is what's happening in the video.

There is proper stealth movement, and you can hide in bushes. Environment traversal (like climbing walls or walking rope, etc) are inherently stealthy, too. The yellow/orange triangles over an enemy indicate their awareness.

Fantastic, thank you very much. They said something about going into the crouching stealth mode, so I guess I should've put it together that wraith doesn't mean invisibility, but it really seemed like it.

Anyway, thank you.

Respect

3sv828.jpg

I don't have elf eyes :(

It "feels" like its higher than 30fps, but I don't think we have any confirmation yet.

ca45b0b1568ad8dad231e4f58eb49f95.jpg

Loxley

Man, there are so many people in the last couple of pages trying to convince themselves this isn't a great game. It fucking is! Their loss.

My sarcastic theory is a few people are just in disbelief that we finally got a game this year that actually lived up to its promises. Credit to Monolith, they hyped up the right aspects of Shadow of Mordor. The Nemesis system does exactly what they said it would do, they didn't overhype the combat or the story or the traversal - heck even the setting wasn't played up to be this huge deal. They were very smart about the way they talked about the game during interviews and demos.

Errm....to what, exactly? I'm playing the game.

I think Talion takes the cake for most generic face I've seen in a game lol.

It's pretty bad.

But his amazing armor makes up for it.

5EhiPa.jpg

QXLdqn.jpg

ApuAlo.jpg

XQf3Ce.jpg

Also, I just freed a mount from those cages in the open world (I can't even ride them yet) and 3 minutes later some random Orc from the Saron's Army screen was killed by it crossing him off my list. Systemic gameplay, yo.

Lord Phol

Hm, never got the orc slayer rune from steam. Could it be because I pre-ordered the game from GMG and didn't activate it until the game was released?

Fjordson

Man the Giant Bomb QL and these Twitch streams are really tempting me to pick up a PS4 after work today. Funny how this game was completely off my radar a few weeks ago.

Carlius

Banned
lol at the haters. go back to game of thrones, this game is legit and lives up to the hype, unlike destiny, titanfall and watch dogs.

Regarding PS4 bonuses, I can vouch for the PS4 store method: I definitely had a "choose a version" message on the left below the game picture. When I clicked, it showed I had already bought one and the other was free. Downloading the free one added 3 DLC items to my download queue.

Haven't tried ingame yet though.

(Edited, my autocorrect apparently prioritizes "TGS" over "the" for some reason lol)

Justified

It's pretty bad.

5EhiPa.jpg

QXLdqn.jpg

ApuAlo.jpg

XQf3Ce.jpg

Also, I just freed a mount from those cages in the open world (I can't even ride them yet) and 3 minutes later some random Orc from the Saron's Army screen was killed by it crossing him off my list. Systemic gameplay, yo.

Good Grief those shots look awesome. Come on 4:30(est)!!!

Just had a great gaming moment. Long story short I killed a captain accidentally run into a higher up. In the midst of run off I let a caragor loose. Another captain runs in terror and I run him down!

Only to be surround by 6 uruks, I go into Archer mode, see a beehive, run away, turn back, let that arrow loose! 6 uruks down and here comes more with the warchief. I turn and run, Ill be back for him.

I think I'm going to call off work today

IvorB

The thing is even with the indicators on, the game can quickly become difficult. I posted a little bit earlier that I easily got surrounded by 5 captains and got overwhelmed very easily. Could I have run off and fought another day? Sure. However, I wanted the challenge so I think you might enjoy it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on things until there is a consensus.

Not every game needs to be Dark Souls hard. If the difficulty were much higher, then it would be a deal-breaker for me (and everyone else who doesn't feel like dying hundreds of times over the course of a playthrough just to cater to the 1% who want their games unreasonably hard). Adjustable difficulty would have been really nice, but doing so might have led to balance issues with Nemesis, hence the single difficulty.

(And the on-screen indicators can be turned off. *That* would make the game significantly harder, no doubt.)

I'm not asking for Dark Souls difficulty. I just need it to have some bite to it. I don't want a cakewalk because that will bore me. Although the ideal would be around Ninja Gaiden level. InFamous: Second Son on expert wasn't that hard but it had some bite to it. I want to have to actually play properly to progress not mash some sh*t out and be fine. I want to feel some tension.

jesus christ what is with the kneejerk assumptions in this thread, have you ever maybe thought that a game possibly gets more difficult as you make progress???

I'm just really spooked by that complaint because it would render literally everything else in the game pointless for me.

Lord Phol

I'm loving the different lore/artifacts/etc information, very interesting stuff. Also fond of the whole half-wraith/half-ranger thing going on with the character. They really made it work in the game.

JayEH

Damn, Liam O'Brien does a great Gollum. They got a real good cast for this game.

Also anybody know when the PSN pre order bonuses will be available to download?

Laekon

The Ars review is not all that positive.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-a-shadow-of-its-own-ambition/

The Good:

Satisfying and fluid combat whether using arrows, stealth, or swordplay.
Tons of hidden lore for Middle-earth fans to dig into.
The Nemesis system can lead to genuinely interesting individual encounters.

The Bad:

Talion is a boring, one-note protagonist.
The Nemesis system repeats itself too often.
Your actions have no impact on the game world, rendering the Nemesis system somewhat unsatisfying.

The Ugly:

The faces of the uruk.

Verdict: Try it to get a taste for the combat and the Nemesis rivalries, but bow out before the systems start to unravel.

It's pretty bad.

5EhiPa.jpg

QXLdqn.jpg

ApuAlo.jpg

XQf3Ce.jpg

Can I get the Dark Ranger armor if I didn't preorder??

Respect

Damn it, you all are making me want to detour to my local Best Buy on the way home from work...I adore the Batman series and hearing all of the comparisons....can't...resist...

Top Bottom