• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Lebron

Ok guys some advice please. I've killed one war chief
just the one that promotes ratbag
but I'm seriously struggling with the rest. Is it worth spending some time completing the side quests and levelling up a bit before trying again? If so which ones should I focus on? I haven't got the branding thing yet (just drain).

I wouldn't say level up (I barely had any of the second row upgrades when I took most of them down), but just use better planning. Learn their weakness (one I literally ran up and stealth knifed in front of his guards). You can also isolate them with creating distractions elsewhere and drawing the grunts away.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ok guys some advice please. I've killed one war chief
just the one that promotes ratbag
but I'm seriously struggling with the rest. Is it worth spending some time completing the side quests and levelling up a bit before trying again? If so which ones should I focus on? I haven't got the branding thing yet (just drain).

The whole mechanic can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you have to remember that information is key. If you're going after a war chief, find intel on his strength and weaknesses. Then gain intel on his captains and be sure to kill them first. If not, they will be present when you fight the war chief, making that fight much harder.

Every war chief has one or more weaknesses that can be exploited. Most of them can be damaged by combat finishers, which is the easiest way of taking them out [aside from stealth-killing them if that's a weakness].

If he's surrounded by a group, be sure to take out the group first using your bow to make the fight easier. I find that in most cases the stun move [O button for Playstation] and the jump over dodge [X for Playstation] are easily the best option when fighting a war chief, as it stuns them and leaving them wide open for a flurry attack. The jump over dodge is an unlock though.

Also, don't be afraid to just run away if you're about to lose. It's better to run away than to die and moving time forward, gaining all sorts of new captains in the process.

Just picked this up on x1 and spent most of the day just going around killing things.
I have 1 orc that has killed me quite a few times already as he turns up during other captain fights and gets me with his poisoned arrows.

Managed to kill him once but didn't execute him, so he has appeared again.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Sigh.

Killed the bodyguards of a Warchief only to find out he's immune to combat attacks, stealth attacks, ranged attacks, and he easily kills monsters. So I can't even kill him with a caragor. It's like he has no weaknesses.

I think you can still chip away at their health by vaulting over and one strike to his back.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think you can still chip away at their health by vaulting over and one strike to his back.

I had one of those assholes as well. Took forever but indeed chip damage by vaulting - striking once - vault again - strike once.

By the way, anyone know where I can find the yellow-icon mushrooms for the survival challenge? I've been running around both maps but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

And finished.

Pretty disappointing end to a great game. I did like the
five hands battle, was epic having my five warchiefs wreck everyone, but the fight with the Tower and the Hand/Sauron were very disappointing. Felt they could have done so much more,
but still a great game and I thoroughly enjoyed destroying Orcs/Uruks, etc.

Will be getting the DLC, depending on how content heavy it is.

Carnby

Im playing this game wrong. I've killed 3 war chiefs and I have not once brain washed or sent death threats. I just kill them in combat.

WWhat am i missing? I don't recall prompts or instructions on how to anything other than read minds.

Im playing this game wrong. I've killed 3 war chiefs and I have not once brain washed or sent death threats. I just kill them in combat.

WWhat am i missing? I don't recall prompts or instructions on how to anything other than read minds.

How far into the game are you? You unlock the branding power later on via story missions.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh man I just had a real bad crash shut down my PS4 kind bad. D: wtf that was not good at all...

DL version for what its worth.

Calabi

I spoke too hastily, its not easy. I've died so many times, too many to admit. When your facing 30 orks and two captains, shits flying everwhere, its difficult. I dont have a clue what is going onl. I'm just here to kill orks and chew gum. Like is it even explained how Mcgeneric hero guy keeps coming back to life? And what happens to the runes the captain drops if you die before collecting it?

I'm liking the game alot though. Its a proper game, with emergent systems which result in situations where you can watch a captain get killed by caragors, and the results are not set rigidly. I just hope they sell enough to make a sequel, I want to see what they do with this, really push the systems. Have you as say an Ork who has to rise through the ranks of Saurons army. Get rid of the main quest nonsense and make it all dynamic, it would be awesome.

I spoke too hastily, its not easy. I've died so many times, too many to admit. When your facing 30 orks and two captains, shits flying everwhere, its difficult. I dont have a clue what is going onl. I'm just here to kill orks and chew gum. Like is it even explained how Mcgeneric hero guy keeps coming back to life? And what happens to the runes the captain drops if you die before collecting it?

I'm liking the game alot though. Its a proper game, with emergent systems which result in situations where you can watch a captain get killed by caragors, and the results are not set rigidly. I just hope they sell enough to make a sequel, I want to see what they do with this, really push the systems. Have you as say an Ork who has to rise through the ranks of Saurons army. Get rid of the main quest nonsense and make it all dynamic, it would be awesome.

I felt like this early on too, but once I hit the halfway point and unlocked some new powers/acquired better runes and upgraded my weapons a little, literally nothing presented a challenge any more.

Enjoy the challenge while it lasts because it absolutely won't. Even when you're surrounded by three captains, a warchief and ten or so Uruks, you will be able to obliterate all of them with relative ease.

There is a story reason for why Talion keeps coming back, progress the story and it'll make sense.

Kamina

Golden Boy
He is possessed by the wraith who heals him and keeps him from dying/resurrects him?

danthefan

Is the Brutalize sidequest bugged?
I keep launching into the crowd of orcs instead of killing the guy on the stage.
Really irritating.

Shadow strike migh be the most bad ass ability I've ever seen in a game. Just being able to zip across the battle field is awesome. Great game.

BigDug13

Shadow strike migh be the most bad ass ability I've ever seen in a game. Just being able to across the battle field is awesome. Great game.

Wait till you find some legendaries that give you elf arrows back per shadow strike kill. Infinite shadow striking in the middle of a crowd of orcs.

Someone mentioned that a regular ass Orc that he had previously branded ended up ascending to the rank of Captain during one of the "let time pass" sessions. I think that's really awesome that it keeps track of your minions and they can rank up on their own.

Skux

Hell yes, just got a dagger epic rune which grants me immunity to poison.

About 6 hours in and I'm killing the first batch of warchiefs. One fight I died a few times trying to storm a stronghold head on. I then smartened up and took out the bodyguards first, and since he was weak against ranged attacks I stayed on ledges creating distractions with caragors, sniping him and stalking around for elf shot.

The other one I had this objective to kill 35 orcs before he showed up, and got slaughtered on my first few attempts trying to fight them all. I then thought to run around the stronghold drawing as many enemies as I could around a fire, then blowing up the fire to nuke a bunch of them before running to the next exploding barrel/campfire, playing it a lot more like a guerrilla rather than a straight up warrior.

This game is fantastic. The warchief strengths and weaknesses, as well as a lot of story objectives, rewards smart and strategic play. It's so satisfying to make a plan to take on each captain and see it executed, or even having to improvise when things go wrong, like another captain showing up, or caragors suddenly joining the battle.

Blizzje

Is the xbox one version using the kinect reserves? I remember there being a way to check if the extra juice is used, but I'm not sure how to do it.

SJRB

Gold Member
The
Tower
bossfight was.. interesting. The setup was incredible, but the payoff was weird. Definately feels like way more was planned for that stage.

The
Tower
bossfight was.. interesting. The setup was incredible, but the payoff was weird. Definately feels like way more was planned for that stage.

Right?

The atmosphere was incredible, but the fight (or lack thereof) was very weird. Definitely felt like they had something big planned but didn't have the time or something else forced them to go with what we ended up with.

Same for the
fight fight with the Hand/Sauron.
Felt like they chopped a huge chunk out for some reason.

Apt101

I had one of those assholes as well. Took forever but indeed chip damage by vaulting - striking once - vault again - strike once.

By the way, anyone know where I can find the yellow-icon mushrooms for the survival challenge? I've been running around both maps but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I had to deal with one that couldn't be vaunted over, either. I had to run around branding a legion of orcs, then stunning him with circle and hitting him from behind when I could. He also took half my fully-upgraded health each hit, and regenerated health if I let up for even a moment. Never went green, stayed red until he died.

Mentok

Banned
Finally finished the game with the platinum today. Clocked in over 30 hours, but that was mainly due to having too much fun with the nemesis system. Here's what I thought:

Pros:

Nemesis System - it's screaming to be used in a more strategic game. The more I was playing with it, the more I thought "Man, a universe like Warhammer could have a lot of fun with this system". Honestly, I had some unique experiences with the orc heirarchy that will resonate far greater than the actual game. Like a level 20 orc captain who I killed 3 times, but never decapitated. Each time I'd run into him was a random, interesting way and he would keep chatting as though this time for sure he'd get me. Needless to say, I branded him and made him a warchief (his dedication was inspiriing).

Atmosphere/world - what a beautiful environment. Sure, the first map looked desolate, but that was the point! I know a few people wished the worlds were bigger, but I liked that it didn't take me long to travel across the map. I rarely needed to fast travel. I felt the maps were sized well enough that there were never any dead-zones (where no enemies could be found).

Combat - the diversity in the combat really shone through, as you could choose how you wanted to chain your combos to be a real bad-ass.

Unique Captains/Warchiefs - I really loved the fact that the enemies were randomly created with different features/attributes/names. It made each encounter feel special to my playthrough.

Cons:

Campaign story - it felt like the majority of the campaign missions were some form of tutorial for a new ability that you would have to use in the final missions. Of course once you "played" the final missions, it was such a big letdown. It really felt like they needed to finish the game, so they abruptly did.

Difficulty - this game was easy, even from the beginning. I can count on one hand the number of times I died without meaning to (I did let myself die a few times to build up the rank of some captains/warchiefs). Adding to the fact that the unlocked abilities made you stronger, the game became a breeze. As a subheading to difficulty, I hated how 95% of the captains/warchiefs could be beaten with the same strategy, despite having different attributes. I hope this gets fleshed out in the sequel.

Conclusions to side-quests - luckily the game doesn't have too many that it feels boring, but when concluding the side quests, I figured there would be some kind of a reward (like an ability or rune), but there wasn't. Even a skin would've been neat. Like after completing all 24 outcast missions, get the "savior of the people" skin, who knows? It just felt a little hollow when completed.

Overall I really did enjoy my time with this game, but feel there's potential for improvement going forward. Running around in Mordor with superpowers really spoke to the fantasy nerd in me and made me wish for more. In fact, I'm planning on going back just to wreak havoc on the orc heirarchy once again! Definitely a game I can continue to play once done, but don't know if I'd replay the campaign again.

negitoro7

Could I continue the side missions once the story is done? Wondering if I need to hold off on some main missions later on. Just beat the first boss after the 4 warchief requirement.

spekkeh

Banned
Holy crap does this game make you feel like a boss when you get it right. Take note Ubisoft, Monolith completely destroyed you at your own game.

Unai

I really don't understand all the people that enjoy this but dislike AC. The mission design and structure, animations, combat (more or less, though closer to batman) and movement are all lifted straight from AC. The major addition is the nemesis system which makes this game worth picking up, but all the AC games have a unique hook too

I don't mean this as a slight against this game; I am a big AC fan and enjoy this game for what it is -- AC: LOTR

I hate the combat in Assassin's Creed.

I was skeptical about this game from its one trick pony nemesis system, and I'm not into LotR universe
But damn had a good time. Finished the game and did all the weapon challenge. This is the first "assassin's creed" style game i did all the side/collect missions.
Disappointing last 2 boss battles.

Gimme Extended Universe LotR without the constraint of trilogy

hunchback

Can some of you experienced players suggest the first 5 skills you should pick and put them in order of importance? That would be really helpful. I'm having fun. I have a Orc named The Unstoppable. He sure is and I can't wait to brand that big boy. Have you seen the Orc who has his brain showing? That is my favorite model in the game so far. I'm curious to see how he will change if I mess him up. What level do you gain the power to sever heads? Thanks for all the help. This might be the friendliest thread.

Rokam

Regarding the ending,
I feel as though they should have had the 5 Warchiefs be turned against you for the final fight and that be the boss and force you to kill them. Final 2 bosses were so disappointing.

Loxley

Regarding the ending,
I feel as though they should have had the 5 Warchiefs be turned against you for the final fight and that be the boss and force you to kill them. Final 2 bosses were so disappointing.

I was definitely expecting the
five warchiefs to play a larger role in the climax of the game - as you suggested, that they'd end up being turned against you by the Black Hand or something, and half-way through the battle Torvin would show up with an army of graugs and caragors - distracting the Uruks while you press on and fight the Black hand in a 1v1 duel.

Regarding the ending,

I liked the
warchief battle as it was, but I really wish we got to have an actual fight with that freaky guy that had his armor grafted onto his flesh. Stealth-draining him a few times was way too easy.

Finished it today, a bit over the 30 hour mark. It was a thoroughly enjoyable ride. Loved the fluidity of the combat and I hope the Nemesis system gets further polished for future games. As a matter of fact, I'm secretly hoping the sequel will pull an Assassin's Creed 2 in regards to improvements over the first one.

BPoole

Regarding the ending,

Yep, when Sauron briefly pulls Cerebrimbor from Talion, I was expecting that to break the mind control thing and if any War Chiefs remained, you would have to fight them before moving onto Sauron.

Kandinsky

I tried this at a friend's house, this is AC:lotr edition and I hated it, I think I just cant deal with animations getting in my way when I try to control the mc anymore, I'm just so tired of that and it seems every freaking AAA game has that issue, also combat was pretty dull imo (but to be fair I was coming from the bayonetta demo and I guess it gets better when you get more skills or something). Oh well, glad you guys are having fun.

Slixshot

Banned
I guess I'm in the minority, but I rather enjoyed the story of this game. Especially enjoyed the ending. Game is my GOTY right now. What a ton of fun to play. I genuinely hated some of the orcs I came across and killing them after having been beaten again and again was one of the most satisfying feelings I've had in a game.

Two Thumbs Up.

BigDug13

I guess I'm in the minority, but I rather enjoyed the story of this game. Especially enjoyed the ending. Game is my GOTY right now. What a ton of fun to play. I genuinely hated some of the orcs I came across and killing them after having been beaten again and again was one of the most satisfying feelings I've had in a game.

Two Thumbs Up.
I think the bigger complaints about the end was the horrible final fight. But I agree. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Anyone with controller issues on ps4? Game used to play fine but recently it won't register any R2 combo press with buttons eg R2 + square. It DOES register R2 & square individually but not combined. I tried a brand new controller & does same thing which sucks

BigDug13

Anyone with controller issues on ps4? Game used to play fine but recently it won't register any R2 combo press with buttons eg R2 + square. It DOES register R2 & square individually but not combined. I tried a brand new controller & does same thing which sucks

So you can't do stealth finishers or ground finishers?

BigDug13

Yep can't do either. Was fun for awhile forcing me trying new strategies but you come up against enemies that are only vulnerable to stealth.

I played through on PS4 and didn't have any of those issues. Weird that both buttons work individually but are not registering together. Faulty controller?

mstevens

Trying to get the level 25 rune trophy. I let a level 20 captain kill me, sent him a death threat, I know his weakness (combat finishers) and his hatred (fire).

If I go in there and blast him with a fire arrow, and then use a finisher and kill him, I have a chance at the level 25 rune, right? Does the killing blow need to be the weakness?

McLovin

Trying to get the level 25 rune trophy. I let a level 20 captain kill me, sent him a death threat, I know his weakness (combat finishers) and his hatred (fire).

If I go in there and blast him with a fire arrow, and then use a finisher and kill him, I have a chance at the level 25 rune, right? Does the killing blow need to be the weakness?
You can set him on fire then finish him with a combat finisher.
I just got the platinum a few hours ago.

Holy shit, just had this guy jump in on another captain fight, LOL:

IyuU2vV.png

mstevens

You can set him on fire then finish him with a combat finisher.
I just got the platinum a few hours ago.

I saved my backup and I keep getting epic runes.. I think because of the death threat. Is it possible to get a regular rune with a death threat on a captain?

Mentok

Banned
I saved my backup and I keep getting epic runes.. I think because of the death threat. Is it possible to get a regular rune with a death threat on a captain?

The death threat will do it, as it increases the likelihood of an epic rune. Get a warchief who's level 20. Know his strengths and weaknesses, let him kill you (great if you need to get him up to 20) and then EITHER exploit a weakness, OR use their hate/fear. Here's the points breakdown:

Level 20: 20 points
Warchief (+2)
knowledge of strengths/weaknesses (+1)
Revenge kill (+1)
Exploit a weakness (+1) OR use hate/fear (+1)

I went after a warchief who could be stealth killed. Got it first try this way.

mstevens

What a pain. I have all Warchiefs branded, gonna have to do some shuffling.

I did read that having something else kill the guy doesn't add the death threat epic rune possibility boost... So I had that guy kill one of my warchiefs, and will try having his bodyguards (who I just branded) kill him.

edit: Got it!

Warchief +2
Knowing Weakness +1
Revenge +1
Death Threat +1

I'd recommend doing it this way, that way you have the warchief all alone AND you don't need to exploit his fear/hatred.

Chairhome

Just finished the game. Question about the ending, since I'm not familiar with LOTR lore outside of what little I remember from the movies:
Does Talion exist outside of the games? Does he actually make another Ring?

Top Bottom