• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Stormus

This game is 9/10 for me. By far, the most fun I've had playing a console game all year.

Here are the few negatives/things I didn't care for:

-The ending
(it was very easy/not satisfying
)
-The Story was meh
-Talion character model is garbage, specifically the face

Just got my last achievement! Getting that LVL 25 rune was a grind but feels good man. Looking forward to seeing what the DLC holds. Also, would be nice if they brought out some new skins too. The game will probably be in my top 10 this year.

Now bring on the evil within tomorrow!

mr stroke

I am done with this game

14/20 missions in and its way too repetitive and difficult. Killing and branding the Warchiefs is getting ridiculous with a mob of body guards at once, dying, then having to watch the same cut scenes over and over again :\

cackhyena

I am done with this game

14/20 missions in and its way too repetitive and difficult. Killing and branding the Warchiefs is getting ridiculous with a mob of body guards at once, dying, then having to watch the same cut scenes over and over again :
Go into the army screen and select bodyguards of the chief you are after. Mark them, find them on the map and brand them. Your war chief just became ten times easier to take down.

So I have my five war chiefs branded and the next mission says something like confront the black hand. Am I looking at the last mission?

Balphon

If you're having trouble obtaining the level 25 rune issuing a death threat on the target is the last thing to do as it drastically increases the chance of getting an epic instead.

Just keep in mind you get a:

lvl 22 rune - if the target is lvl 20 warchief
+1 - if you know his weaknesses
+1 - if he killed you before (revenge active)
+1 - if you exploit his weakness (eg. fear of burning, caragors, stealth finisher etc)

While it was a fucking chore to max up my target without death threats with him being lvl 14 and getting him to show up I had to stealth kill his supporters 6 times FOR FUCKS SAKE, luckily got my rune on the first try.

The increased chance to get an epic rune doesn't seem to work if the captain is killed by another Orc rather than you. It's annoying from a general gameplay perspective, but helpful for that trophy.

Tizoc

I am done with this game

14/20 missions in and its way too repetitive and difficult. Killing and branding the Warchiefs is getting ridiculous with a mob of body guards at once, dying, then having to watch the same cut scenes over and over again :\

When you get a warchief to low health they will kneel, you can then brand them instead of killing them.

The other options a GAFfer suggested above work too and its how I did some of the warchiefs.

One funny instant is when one of my branded warchief went against another warchief.
Enemy Warchief was with his captain who can be 1-shotted using a stealth kill. I stealth brand him, then went to kill the warchief. tHE BRanded captain became the new warchief XD.

mr stroke

Go into the army screen and select bodyguards of the chief you are after. Mark them, find them on the map and brand them. Your war chief just became ten times easier to take down.

So I have my five war chiefs branded and the next mission says something like confront the black hand. Am I looking at the last mission?

so if I brand each Warchiefs bodyguards what happens?

They no longer fight aside them?

Malo

Banned
I can't find the last sword legends mission anywhere on the map. Is there something I have to do to make it pop up?

I think I might have progressed Talion's abilities significantly beyond where I'm supposed to be at this point in the game. I'm still on the first map, but about 10 missions in and can activate 2x5 hit streak combos and shadow strike-kill. I feel way overpowered now.

Does this game feature day/night cycles?(like other typical open world games) so if I do nothing the day will gradually turn from day to night.

Korten

Banned
Wtf, this one orc Captain, Hoshu of the Pit has killed me twice. He's like impossible to kill. He can take away all my health with just one arrow.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well eh.. I guess I just finished the game? Man, that ending was
weird and random as hell. Complete waste of Nolan North, the guy has literally 3 lines in the entire game.

I liked how my 5 warchiefs were OP as fuck, they rolled up and annihilated the 5 Sauron guards.

But what was that ending even about? I don't get it. At all. I really, REALLY love this game but the entire story campaign feels like nothing but an afterthought. It's like they spent so much time on the gameplay mechanics that they forgot to make an actual story. 3 months before going gold someone woke up in the middle of the night and was like "holy fucking shit we don't have any story missions".

Probably during E3 2014 Geoff Keighley asked one of the Monolith guys during their presentation on GTtv "so have big things planned for the story? Lots of lore to work with" and the Monolith guy was like "...Story? Riiiiight, eh yeah, we totally have a story. With missions, and stuff" *runs backstage to call someone*.

McLovin

so if I brand each Warchiefs bodyguards what happens?

They no longer fight aside them?

Nope. I mean, they are seemingly with him, but as soon as you start fighting him, they turn and help you.

You have to either brand or take out hte body guards they have a white line going to the chief on the grid. Also don't forget to scan for randoms and taking care of them first. I got cocky one time and held my own against 4 at once but then more kept showing up. Like 4 or 5 more on top of the 4 I was already fighting lol!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Took me about 30 hours to Platinum...it isn't hard but took me like 4 hours to get a level 25 Rune. UGH.

Good game but I am done with it and selling it off.

Was the same with me, it's worth taking the time to set up the set of circumstances that will guarantee you a level 25 rune. That's the only difficult trophy in the game.

Mentok

Banned
Hard? Time consuming?

A very easy platinum. In terms of time, it took me a little over 30 hours, but I also spent a lot of time running around killing orcs and captains for the fun of it.

To those having difficulty with getting swarmed by captains and grunts (I'm assuming you haven't got the ability to brand yet, as that really destroys any mob):

a) get the intel on any captain before hitting the fight
b) vaulting is your best friend against the mob, as it's instantaneous (it'll help keep your attack counter going) so Talion will drop what he's doing to vault. Same goes for countering
c) know your surroundings: look for firepits, morgai fly nests, caragor bait/cage, etc, and USE them. Sure, it may not scare the captains away, but it will get the grunts out of the picture
d) once you get your counter up for a special, make sure you use it on the captain. Very early in the game, I'd use the mob to build up my counter, then vault over to the captain to use my execution
e) don't be afraid to run away. Sometimes you'll notice the captain following you, but not as many grunts. It may make the fight easier

Still loving this, after 27 hours. I've got like three missions left I think.

Gonna finish it up before Evil Within comes out. Such a nice surprise, this game. I think it's an instant classic.

Unai

I missed the achievement about saving 30 slaves in 180 seconds. Is it possible to earn it without restarting the game?

Still the best game I played all year. I'm not a keep gameplay footage guy, but I've saved at least 3 videos of me playing this. Moments just happen and it's perfect for the share button.

Another thing once you get the gameplay down, it's so brutal, satisfying and godlike. Some of the shit I do in this game I can't believe I'm doing. I'm skeptical about the dlc though.

Guys I think I broke the game. I beat a warchief instead of branding them and immediately quit the mission thinking it would reset the warchief. It didn't. Now I have 4 branded warchiefs and many branded captains. I killed another warchief too but one of my branded underlings took his place. The one I killed is still on the Sauron's Army screen dead with no one taking his place...

Edit: I've killed a few captains to try and get things moving again to no avail.
Edit2: Aha! I went back to Udin then returned to the Sea of Numen and one of my many branded captains took the warchiefs place. Everything is fixed!

More Edits: End game spoilers:
THAT WAS THE END? I mean, I've always thought the final battle in a game should be a bit easier. The penultimate battle should really test your skills. In this case though neither was satisfying. Ending the game with a QTE is really disappointing.

MUnited83

For you.
Man, another neat thing that happened.
The nemesis at the end of the game was a guy that killed me over and over on the first map and then he became a warchied. I killed him, but I didn't beheaded him, but he never showed after that. Pretty cool to see that this is where he ended up. I assume that in this fight it will be the uruk that killed you the most? Either way, satisfying as heck, finally beheaded the dude and now he's done for good.

Lp3umXJ.jpg

Man, another neat thing that happened.
The nemesis at the end of the game was a guy that killed me over and over on the first map and then he became a warchied. I killed him, but I didn't beheaded him, but he never showed after that. Pretty cool to see that this is where he ended up. I assume that in this fight it will be the uruk that killed you the most? Either way, satisfying as heck, finally beheaded the dude and now he's done for good.

Yeah I believe that's how it works. It's a real thrill to see it in action. The only shame is that
it shows how much Monolith dropped the ball on the story missions overall.

NinjaEdit Yeah MvmntInGrn! The ending is really surprising. :)

Do we have official sli support yet? Thought I heard something about a recent patch breaking the workaround. Had to put the game down a couple days, so haven't been keeping up.

Gibbo

Anyone felt that the 2nd last story Arc
where you hunt the giant creature with the dwarf, was abit out of place? Felt like it should have been much earlier in the game itself. Seems like quite a wierd SP mission to have just before the final fight

lord pie

Just finished the game. All sorts of thoughts racing around. But what I can't get over is that Nolan North plays the black hand. Wat... Is there a game he's not in?

I liked the game a lot, brings lots of great ideas to the table, but I have to say there has rarely been a game that infuriated me more with misinterpreted controls screwing things up :(

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Encountered my first captain with "Fear of Gravewalker" yesterday. Good times. He was harassing one of my branded captains, so I decided to join in the fight. As soon as he sees me, he turns and runs away :D never felt so awesome.
Anyway, did the familiar shadow strike --> grab --> dominate combo on him and now almost every captain is under my command.

Question; in order to get that lvl25 rune, does the warchief have to be on Sauron's side or can it be a branded warchief I put in the ground?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the game a lot, brings lots of great ideas to the table, but I have to say there has rarely been a game that infuriated me more with misinterpreted controls screwing things up :(

That press 'A' button to climb up, really is irritating..why can't it be done automatically when you are pushing the D-Pad forward/up?

Is there a button/control to gracefully step down ahead*, instead of leaping?

BokehKing

Banned
I have seen some comments saying this is more of a 7 game due to it looking like assassins creed. I don't understand it. This seems like a well made open world game with a very unique feature it looks like it is deserving of all its praise.
No way this game is an 'assassin's creed' type game, if it was anything like AC I would play it for 2 hours and then throw it in the bushes regretting my decision to buy, those games are awful

This game is amazing
Ratbag > every character in the AC series (and I'm only 17% in)

Loomba

I just started the game again and already ran away from multiple fights. It's weird going from supreme overlord god to nearly getting killed by common orcs. I might not level up as much this playthrough to make it a bit harder.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

But if Talion is one of the towers which usually houses a ranged enemy between two walls, tapping 'A' would make Talion leap to the next wall and 'B' would make Talion hang by stepping backwards.

No way to get behind the ranged unit, unless I get Talion to do a leap kill or hang around the entire wall section.

Anyone felt that the 2nd last story Arc
where you hunt the giant creature with the dwarf, was abit out of place? Felt like it should have been much earlier in the game itself. Seems like quite a wierd SP mission to have just before the final fight

That's why the story missions are criticized by the lots because they are horribly out of place, other than the
last bits of both maps
, the majority of story missions feel like huge tutorials for things you have been doing for hours.

10 missions in and i feel like trading the game in :/

I normally love these games and like LOTR but i'm just not "feeling" the game

I've basically just been doing the story missions cause don't see the fun in trying to save slaves or whatever?

Am i missing much or should i get of my arse and get on with it?

Top Bottom