• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Aces&Eights

So, has anyone played the game (not the demo)? I am trading in Destiny tomorrow for it and I would like to hear some hands on impressions. Is the difficulty really higher than the demo? Is the nemesis system really engaging? How are the draw distances? IS there variety in scenery? Are all missions copy/paste? Can you stealth the whole thing?

Runors for now ;)

Those crazy runors. I love how IGN's resolution page shows 720p/30fps, yet it links to a vg-chartz page containing screenshots of the recent tweets that started the whole mess. Oh IGN...

I really hope it isn't 720p/30fps, as that is just pathetic.

Oho yeah, it's Monoliths fault....

720p/30fps? That's pretty bad. "Lazy developers" is generally a shitty thing to say... but we all expect a higher resolution or framerate considering what the graphics are like in this game. I still don't believe it, but we'll know soon enough.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is the gane really 720p on XB1 or is it just runors? If that's the case then I'm going with the PS4 version on this one.

Rumor for now, but said by someone who "might" have an X1 preview copy.

Lol that's not how these things work.... It has nothing to do with orcs being individuals.

I'm almost certain that it does (if the rumor is true). All of those assets need to be loaded simultaneously if you get into a huge fight with lots of orcs, possibly including several warchiefs and sub chiefs. That requires a lot of video memory. The variety of the orcs in this game might possibly be too much for the X1 to handle at the higher resolutions. Normally it would only be a slight downgrade for the X1 at most, like 1080 / 30fps or 900 / 60fps. If the best they can get is 720 / 30fps then they only did it to preserve gameplay and features. That would be the only valid reason I could see for such a disparity.

lmbotiva

Considering other games do better, then yeah it is
I believe IMO other games were scaled back on ps4 instead, when devs use the ps4 properly you can see the differences, MG ground zeroes runs at 720 as well, this isnt about devs being lazy, is about people finally accepting that MS fuck up big time with the vision of their console, simple as that

Island

Hmmn retail copy at 1030 tomorrow for 50 bucks Or digital copy at midnight tonight for 70? I'll get to play an extra 4 hours and be unable to trade it in... But I am an impatient sort.

Help me NeoGAF you are my only hope.

mjc

So is it true that there's a feature in the game like the nemesis in Diablo 3? Where an orc that kills your friend can come into your game and hunt you too?

DrBo42

Ugûrz, the mouthless - Uruk of Mordor

I have no mouth, and I must scream.

So is it true that there's a feature in the game like the nemesis in Diablo 3? Where an orc that kills your friend can come into your game and hunt you too?

What I think is going on is that when your friend is killed, a map icon shows up in your world with the title "Vendetta". Once you go activate it, the system pulls the XML or whatever file it is with his model details etc and then loads a mission for you to kill him. IF you can find him in your world without activating that mission I'll be wholly impressed.

Edit: Oh, I guess now would be the time to share my PSN name for those of you getting it on PS4. Add Doctorbo42 and avenge me.

Hmmn retail copy at 1030 tomorrow for 50 bucks Or digital copy at midnight tonight for 70? I'll get to play an extra 4 hours and be unable to trade it in... But I am an impatient sort.

Find something to do in those four hours. I used to be like that too but figured a little patience goes a long way.

Island

Find something to do in those four hours. I used to be like that too but figured a little patience goes a long way.
The other thing is that I haven't received my shipping notification yet either.. So there is a good chance I won't get it until Wed... That's a fully day of play lost....

Derpcrawler

Can I actually stream game? Unlocks in 1 hour for me on Xbox One (I am in China). Or will twitch be assholes and force US release date to allow streams?

Bought digitally, so it's not stolen copy or some other shit, and I am in China, so it's technically released here in an hour.

eznark

Banned

Does it unlock at midnight?

Twinduct

I can switch primary account back to my UK account afterwards right?

Also, do Amazon email the codes straight away? Ho much is the game on the US store?

Wish I could convert the GBP I have available online to dollars to use on a US account, got £50 credit but they charge silly money for full games on the UK store.

Hey it seems to be one primary per account. So in theory your PS4 is the main PS4 for both those accounts. I bought Destiny like this ending up paying slightly less for the DDE that includes the expansion packs than having paid for the normal edition on the local store.

Since then I have bought stuff using my local store which works on both my and my US account.

Amazon emails the codes but they're also displayed upon the end of the check out (also think it's in your history).

Not sure how much it's on the US store tbh. Friend bought me the game and gifted via steam.

60 dollars on the us store. Just buy it from there lol.

No clue why ppl buy digitally from their own country.

Mostly because of my long ass history of the account. Download list etc.
However honestly been buying more from the US store since the PS4 start since local pricing is so out of control.

Neofx

I was thinking to buy this as my first digital game on PS4, then I saw the price..

€69,99... seriously? :/

Retail it is, €42,39 with free delivery.

Jsheldon

720p/30fps= giant disparity on xbone if true :(. If in fact true, I'll grab a ps4 copy around Christmas once I get that system as well, and xbone will stay idle for time being.

JChalmers

Neo Member
Post when you get it early! How come you got for £30 did you have a voucher or something?

Yeah had discount with them after I bought one of their Wii U bundles a while ago. Completely forgot I had the discount points to use!

Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow, will keep you updated.

Grief.exe

The PC version seems to unlock at the same time everywhere.

I've already said this in here, but don't take Steam release dates at face value. Often times developers don't set them up correctly or they don't display regional unlock differences.

For example, there is a good chance the unlock time will tick down for the US, then the Europeans will still be locked. Generally, publishers don't want to screw over their retail partners with a release like that.

If those rumors are true, it's no surprise that reviewers weren't shipped copies of the Xbone version.

I question the 30fps though. I imagine it'll be 720p/60fps. I understand there's a disparity between the consoles, but not enough to warrant that drastic of an, ahem, downgrade. We shall see.

Getting my PS4 copy in a couple of weeks. Pretty stoked.

Top Bottom