• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

WTF, US digital is like £5 cheaper than UK physical :s

SOLD

Gonna work out how to get this account stuff working, anybody got a link to a good step-by-step guide for it?

VanWinkle

I very much doubt that the Xbox One is 720p30, it is more likely to be running at 1080p60 like the PS4 version but perhaps with screen tearing, similar to Sniper Elite III, which was v-synced on PS4.

Why is that more likely? Wouldn't it be more likely that it would be worse looking than the PS4 version (than just screen tearing, of which we have seen none in the XB1 version)?

Chobel

Read your sentence again and you'll get your answer

No, the Playstation exclusive missions are exclusive to Playstation

In Assassin Creed games, PC has the "exclusive" content which PS platforms has, so I thought it's possible that "exclusive" means not in xbox. Anyway it's just few missions missing, so not that big deal.

Why it that more likely? Wouldn't it be more likely that it would be worse?

Well I wouldn't exactly call 1080p60 with tearing for the Xbox One to be "better" than 1080p60 with no tearing on PS4, which is why I mentioned Sniper Elite III? ;)

I'm just saying that one year on from launch, that a western developed game is unlikely to be released on Xbox One at 720p. I know PES 2015 is supposedly 720p on Xbox One but that's from Konami and it is said that Microsoft are working on improving the resolution for release. The fact that we've heard nothing regarding this game suggests to me that it is either 1080p with tearing or 900p at the least.

I guess we will know soon enough as the game is released tomorrow in the US isn't it? No doubt Digital Foundry will do a preliminary analysis of it and post their findings either tomorrow or Wednesday as they had done with Diablo III and Destiny.

J3ffro

Listen up ShadowGAF, its orc name generator time! Let us bring to the light the true name of your inner darkness so that we may all wallow in our collective filth and depravity.
Middle Earth orc name generator.
Behold! You are in the presence of:
Sloiuga, the pointing claw - Uruk of Mordor

Kraibag, the wistful - Uruk of Mordor

Taste my pain!

I'm apparently married to Shag, the begger and our daughter is Bashkuga, the tongue. That one makes a lot of sense. She's 11 months old, her tongue spends half the day outside of her mouth.

Edmond Dantès;132111986 said:
The Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul during this period with six companions. Sauron sent the others to reoccupy Dol Guldur. It was most probably Khamûl the Shadow of the East who led the others whilst in occupation of Dol Guldur. Khamûl was the most ready of all the Nazgûl after the Witch-king to perceive the presence of the One, but his power was also the most diminished by daylight.

It should also be noted that during this period (post-Hobbit, pre-War) the Witch-king had a confrontation of sorts with Saruman and even came close to killing Grima Wormtongue who was on his way back to Isengard with information regarding Gandalf. The Witch-king spared his life as he perceived that Grima would do great harm to Saruman in time.

Ok, so this is about what I remember reading with at least a few being in Minas Morgul. So that being said, if Sauron found out that someone was running around in Mordor killing orcs left and right wouldn't this be the kind of thing that they would get involved in to help stop? At least before he got so far in that he made it all the way to the Sea of Nurun.

Raven77

Any comments on the games world?

I understand that it takes place in Mordor but that shouldn't give Monolith a free pass to make the environment boring. Every gameplay video I can find shows the same rocky / grassy areas with somewhat strange looking cliffs / ledges and broken stone walls.

Is there anything else? Marshlands / swamps? Dark evil forests? giant caves?

theDeeDubs

I haven't seen any tearing on the streams of either so far.

If this unlocks at 12 est I'll have both versions to compare tonight. I don't notice resolution differences as well as some, but I'm pretty sensitive to framerate.

Do skins appear in cutscenes?

Unfortunately, no they don't.

ryseing

I understand that it takes place in Mordor but that shouldn't give Monolith a free pass to make the environment boring. Every gameplay video I can find shows the same rocky / grassy areas with somewhat strange looking cliffs / ledges and broken stone walls.

There's three different open areas. Monolith's primarily demoing only one IIRC.

I was wondering the same thing.

Raven77

There's three different open areas. Monolith's primarily demoing only one IIRC.

Have they said anything about what kinds of areas these other two are?

I am a big fan of open world games but if the world isn't interesting then I tend to also lose interest in the game itself.

Kiyoshi

Least I'm not the only one still waiting bought mine from CDkeys but still no code :/

I cancelled my pre-order with CDkeys once they changed the release date to the 3rd on their website and then stated to commenters on Facebook they wouldn't get the code until nearer that time. They've now changed it back to the 30th and are saying they'll be distributing keys at around 4pm (UK time).

I haven't seen any tearing on the streams of either so far.

GhostRobo uploaded some PS4 footage from PAX Prime that had obvious tearing in it and some other YouTube videos have bad tearing too. Thankfully that was a fault with the video stream. All the video I've seen of Lords of the Fallen show really bad screen tearing as well, though that too is supposed to be the video stream. Kind of makes it had to know whether a game does have screen tearing or not. Some people may not be bothered by it but I personally hate it as I find it immensely distracting so I always buy the version that has little or no tearing where possible. For example, I opted for Murdered: Soul Suspect on Xbox One (1080p30) over the tear-fest PS4 version (1080p60), after seeing YouTube footage of the game prior to release.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Canceled my xbox one order. If it turns out it's higher than 720 and 30 seriously fuck the Internet. I prefer achievements and my friends are on xbox now but I couldn't risk it. I hope digital foundry could get an early response out on Tuesday. Might give me chance to change my order back from ps4 if the one version is fine

R_Deckard

where do you see that?

in your steam library list, it shows the DL status next the the game name and speed of download.

the game release date for PC is on the steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/app/241930/

Canceled my xbox one order. If it turns out it's higher than 720 and 30 seriously fuck the Internet. I prefer achievements and my friends are on xbox now but I couldn't risk it. I hope digital foundry could get an early response out on Tuesday. Might give me chance to change my order back from ps4 if the one version is fine
I think this rumour is getting out of hand, NO WAY this is 720/60, hell I have even ordered it now on XboxOne just to check it myself as I am intrigued, my money is 900/60

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ok, so this is about what I remember reading with at least a few being in Minas Morgul. So that being said, if Sauron found out that someone was running around in Mordor killing orcs left and right wouldn't this be the kind of thing that they would get involved in to help stop? At least before he got so far in that he made it all the way to the Sea of Nurun.
Tolkien made it clear that the greatest weapon of the Nazgûl was their ability to instill fear. They had no power over the fearless. Brute strength and might in arms only the Witch-king exhibited, but a mere mortal (even one causing such strife) was better left to the soldiers. Sauron could not afford to lose any of the Nine, especially his Captain.

garath

Hyped for tomorrow. I'm not playing it until I get my 970 (damn backorders) but I really want to see performance benchmarks lol.

Wasp

My copy was apparently dispatched first class this afternoon which is crazy considering I'm in the UK and the game isn't out until Friday here. Would be awesome to get it tomorrow 4 days early.

IvorB

So is anyone playing this right now? Can you answer a question? When you are missioning around in Mordor does it actually show the orc community going about their business, doing washing up, chatting, hanging out etc? Or are they just enemies waiting on the map to engage?

GRaider81

Something I've just noticed.

Normally when I have been downloading games from my US account (I'm in UK), the countdown timer relates to the US release even when I'm in my Euro account.

I just turned on my Ps4 and when in my Euro account the timer says 3 days 7hours. I switched over to my US account and the timer resets to Tuesday release.

From the last 3 or 4 games I bought from the US store all have been playable on my Euro account on the Tuesday.

Have they changed this? Wasn't sure if this is new thread worthy but maybe some others here can check it out?

Loomba

Something I've just noticed.

Normally when I have been downloading games from my US account (I'm in UK), the countdown timer relates to the US release even when I'm in my Euro account.

I just turned on my Ps4 and when in my Euro account the timer says 3 days 7hours. I switched over to my US account and the timer resets to Tuesday release.

From the last 3 or 4 games I bought from the US store all have been playable on my Euro account on the Tuesday.

Have they changed this? Wasn't sure if this is new thread worthy but maybe some others here can check it out?

It happened to me for PvZ: Garden Warfare, you will be able to play tomorrow.

Top Bottom