• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

I very much doubt that the Xbox One is 720p30, it is more likely to be running at 1080p60 like the PS4 version but perhaps with screen tearing, similar to Sniper Elite III, which was v-synced on PS4.

Also, the PS4 version can be picked up for £38.75 from here: http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/videog...e-earth-shadow-of-mordor-with-dark-ranger-dlc

It's where I pre-ordered my copy from and it's cheaper than everywhere else I looked, including Amazon.

It'd have been better had you used the £2 off code on gameseek. It's in the cheap arse gaffer thread.

Saiyan-Rox

I cancelled my pre-order with CDkeys once they changed the release date to the 3rd on their website and then stated to commenters on Facebook they wouldn't get the code until nearer that time. They've now changed it back to the 30th and are saying they'll be distributing keys at around 4pm (UK time).

I wasn't aware they did that :eek: after 5 now but still no key for me

luffeN

Just got a message from gamekeysnow:

"We know you're all itching to get your hands on your preciousss new Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor so we thought update you on your order status.

The game was due to release at midnight on the 30th of September. Warner Brothers have now scheduled the unlock time for 10am in America, which is 6pm British Time (6pm Central European Time). This unlock time is the same for Steam and boxed copies of the game. If you want to stare longingly at a timer counting down until release, you can do so on the Steam page for the game.

Due to release date restrictions, Warner Brothers have also decided to not allow CD key activation until some time on Tuesday and attempts to activate your code before then will not succeed. This means that we'll send out your keys tomorrow afternoon, so you'll be able to play it when the game unlocks on Steam."

So has WB not heard of pre-loading on Steam? Do you have to pay extra (as a company) or how does it work?

Saiyan-Rox

"We know you're all itching to get your hands on your preciousss new Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor so we thought update you on your order status.

The game was due to release at midnight on the 30th of September. Warner Brothers have now scheduled the unlock time for 10am in America, which is 6pm British Time (6pm Central European Time). This unlock time is the same for Steam and boxed copies of the game. If you want to stare longingly at a timer counting down until release, you can do so on the Steam page for the game.

Due to release date restrictions, Warner Brothers have also decided to not allow CD key activation until some time on Tuesday and attempts to activate your code before then will not succeed. This means that we'll send out your keys tomorrow afternoon, so you'll be able to play it when the game unlocks on Steam."

So has WB not heard of pre-loading on Steam? Do you have to pay extra (as a company) or how does it work?

Wtf is this shit? Fable didn't unlock until 6pm uk time either. This better not be a sign of things to come I was already thinking about getting it on console instead.

Also preloading is already available as long as you bought it directly from steam

You wouldn't think that you would have to pay extra just to release it at Midnight if the servers do it automatically, but it more man-power is required, then it may cost more money. Honestly, I am quite curious on the process myself.

Xyber

If this applies to all places that will be sending out keys, a lot of people won't be playing this on release because of the large download. :p

It will probably take 15-20 minutes to download for me, so I don't really care myself. Wasn't going to pre-load anyway since the unpacking usually takes longer than the download...

luffeN

Wtf is this shit? Fable didn't unlock until 6pm uk time either. This better not be a sign of things to come I was already thinking about getting it on console instead.

Also preloading is already available as long as you bought it directly from steam

Yeah, that's what I don't get. The page I buy from gets boxed copies and then does their voodoo to get the keys to the clients. It seems that boxed copies just get a different treatment from WB.

Can't wait until Friday for the UK release - will buy on the U.S. PSN after work. Got FIFA and Destiny early so I'm not going back to UK physical. Cheaper too

Autofokus

True. But can you play online games regionally or do you always have to switch to the US account for that?
There are no restrictions, I bought nearly all my games from the US Store. If you decide buying DLC for a game, you need to buy it from the same store (in our example US) - that's the only thing to watch out. The main game and dlc must come from the same region.

R_Deckard

If this applies to all places that will be sending out keys, a lot of people won't be playing this on release because of the large download. :p

It will probably take 15-20 minutes to download for me, so I don't really care myself. Wasn't going to pre-load anyway since the unpacking usually takes longer than the download...

Its a 36GB download on PC, how fast is your connection, took me just under 2 hours?

Smidget

So if I don't preorder but eventually get the Season Pass, will I get the "Test of Power" challenge mode in that?

Still waiting on XB1 specs since I have more XB credit vs PSN credit....

Levyne

Banned
So if I don't preorder but eventually get the Season Pass, will I get the "Test of Power" challenge mode in that?

Yeah, pretty sure the season pass gives all the challenge modes, you just get one for free with the pre order

Can't wait until Friday for the UK release - will buy on the U.S. PSN after work. Got FIFA and Destiny early so I'm not going back to UK physical. Cheaper too

Gameseek with £2 discount code is the same price as US digital

Ordered there since I prefer having it on disc, and I can wait a few days. I don't entirely understand the disparity between physical and digital price in the UK. I get why the exchange rate dictates that we generally pay more than the US, but I don't games can cost £60 on PSN and £40 on disc.

KNoon

Neo Member
That Xbox One gameplay video was removed on copyright grounds by Warner... looks like they do not want any Xbox gameplay out in the wild yet (despite the fact that gaffers here were saying that footage looked solid). Hopefully it turns out okay. I have both a PS4 and Xbox One, but I prefer to get muliplats on the Xbox as I prefer the controller and OS and online functions. But I will have to wait and see on this, as if it is 720/30 FPS, that may be too much for even me (I generally do not care much for minor graphical differences). Either way, I cannot wait to enter the land of Mordor, where the shadows lie.

Badzûrz, the groveler - Uruk of Mordor

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah, that's what I don't get. The page I buy from gets boxed copies and then does their voodoo to get the keys to the clients. It seems that boxed copies just get a different treatment from WB.

Tbh I can see it being a middle finger to the key buyers (like me). buying from steam = preload buy a disc = disc install, buy a key? Well wait till a couple of hours near release.

The date of release being tomorrow at 6pm really is the piss take though may be early in the morning for US but it's 6pm for UK how does that make sense?!

-Digits-

I bought the digital US version and just checked the unlock timer. It won't unlock for another 3 days and 6 hours.

Unity2012

Same here; last night I watched the french guy on Twitch (apparently the only man with the X1 version on the planet), and the game looked good and ran fine... of course, there is the streaming compression or limitations factors.

I just cant believe that hours before launch we still have NOTHING OFFICIAL or people playing it that can, at least, give some insights for those waiting to make a decision. I have a PS4 as well, but I honestly prefer to use the X1 controller and most of my friends are on XBL

A bit dissapointed with Monolith and WB for the lack of info.

Rip

Same here; last night I watched the french guy on Twitch (apparently the only man with the X1 version on the planet), and the game looked good and ran fine... of course, there is the streaming compression or limitations factors.

I just cant believe that hours before launch we still have NOTHING OFFICIAL or people playing it that can, at least, give some insights for those waiting to make a decision. I have a PS4 as well, but I honestly prefer to use the X1 controller and most of my friends are on XBL

A bit dissapointed with Monolith for the lack of info.

Crazy how times have changed. It use to be the PS3 version that nobody ever knew about till release. Sorry Xbone bros.

Patroclos

Banned
didn't the XB1 version get reviewed last week? why has this been under wraps if true?

Polygon gave the X1 version a 9.5, same as PS4. I am munching popcorn and waiting to see what they do if the 720/30fps info is true. They probably won't do a damn thing. I find them reprehensible. I feel for anyone picking it up on XB1, if true it's a travesty. I'm not saying "lazy devs" but I would like to know what the hell is up.

jim2011

Polygon gave the X1 version a 9.5, same as PS4. I am munching popcorn and waiting to see what they do if the 720/30fps info is true. They probably won't do a damn thing. I find them reprehensible. I feel for anyone picking it up on XB1, if true it's a travesty. I'm not saying "lazy devs" but I would like to know what the hell is up.

Crazy.

Lets be real, yes everyone would prefer the better looking version but the most important thing when reviewing a game is the game itself. Even at 720p and 30FPS won't impact the game itself unless there are actual technical problems which it doesn't seem like there are.

Patroclos

Banned
720p30fps is an absolute deal breaker.

Resolution I could stomach(barely) but half the framerate is unforgivable. God Damn I'm hoping for a miracle :(

May have to pick up a ps4 for multi plats sooner than I expected :(

Just do it. I decided long ago during the Sega and Nintendo days if you only have one there will always be something on the other one you want. Grass is never greener this way. It always seems salt ratio is decreased by number of consoles/pc owned.

Arken2121

Gonna watch it tonight again just to get back into the mood.

jIsuf7E.gif

Not only do you have my dagax, you now have my sword, congratulations. ;)

Kiyoshi

Entrecôte;132149261 said:
Is this the steam unlock time as well? It seems to tally up.

Well, nearly would be about 6pm based on current steam page!

Yep, Steam unlocks at 6pm. So it looks like the key sellers are distributing a couple of hours earlier.

Top Bottom