• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway Arcade Treasures 2 GS review

Anyanka

The extras sound lame. "The Making of Mortal Kombat 3" being in is nice, but it's old. I want new, unseen extras. They have all his concept art and all this old footage laying around but they never show it to us. Most of the original MK staff is still with Midway too. Give us new, informative, interesting interviews with Boon, Forden, Vogel and Goskie. It's like they have 8 or so trivia bits that they recycle over and over. I've known Cyrax was originally called Mustard for like 8 years now, tell me something else.

I want to know what kind of save feature this has. MK3 without saving is going to be awful. You'll have to do the Ultimate Kombat Kode using both controllers every time you play.

Anyanka

shoplifter said:
You forgot to read to the part where it says that both MK2 and MK3 aren't arcade perfect (yet again)

Yeah, but when you consider the quality of the other home versions it's still exciting.

jenov4

shoplifter said:
You forgot to read to the part where it says that both MK2 and MK3 aren't arcade perfect (yet again)

O snap, Yeah I just read further down. DAMN YOU MIDWAY!!

Anyanka

That too. They're not even really different games, it's just a ROM upgrade!

I would want both though. There's a lot of minor differences between them that I dislike about UMK3.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I can see people wanting to play MK2, (even that's questionable after the nostalgia goes away) but why would you even want to bother with MK3+? They blow so much, especially with Deadly Alliance and Deception out.

Anyanka

Because MK3 is the best in the series.

Best roster. Kabal, Stryker, Sindel and the robots are all great. Unmasked Sub is the best Sub in the series(especially before UMK3).

Best gameplay. Running, chains, faster pace and more juggling make it a lot more fun than MK II, which is way too slow.

Best backgrounds, story and atmosphere.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Man I put some quarters in the ol' NARC machine back in the day.

pt_919930_20040826_screen116_24s0112.jpg

Ristamar

Lyte Edge said:
I can see people wanting to play MK2, (even that's questionable after the nostalgia goes away) but why would you even want to bother with MK3+? They blow so much, especially with Deadly Alliance and Deception out.

I approve this message.

i wish UMK3 was hidden

With other older fighting games hitting console with online play, it's hard not to be at least a little disappointed that Midway Arcade Treasures 2's online support is limited to scoreboards in the Xbox version only. Online play for games like Total Carnage, the Mortal Kombat games, and Primal Rage is a real missed opportunity, making something that could have been a really special compilation feel merely like the budget-priced collections that they really are. Considering other budget-priced products like Guilty Gear X2 #Reload are shipping with full Xbox Live support, this feature isn't totally out of the question.
if only...

i'll be picking this up. Both MK2 and 3 should be good for some old school battling, and Flickery shadows and a couple sound glitches aren't shit to get all picky about. Ports are still probably 10 times better than any homeversion to date. Plus its also got gauntlet 2, Total Carnage and Narc, which should be some decent time killers.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I'm getting this for sure. It'll be fun to play MK2 again, especially since I'm on a current MK Deception kick. I never agreed with Jeff Gerstman's views, and knocking this game for not having online MK2, MK3, Primal Rage, Total Carnage, etc. seems pretty harsh to me. Asking Midway to code and test online play for 4+ games is asking a whole lot for $20. The first one was well worth the money spent and that had no real-time online play.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ok... I'm worried about the "Wizard of Wor on the GameCube plays all the wrong sound effects" bit... WoW is one of the games I really wanted in this compilation, and now I'm worried they messed up the GC one.

Drat. Time to e-mail the developers again.

evil ways

Mr. Big was a bitch to kill, I remember the first time I finally blew up his face and the skull was exposed, it was creepy.

Top Bottom