• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Also millennials catch on to delivery.com and grubhub.com social discount aspect and abuse it to its full advantage

Like delivery.com says send your friends a referral link, they get $7 for their first order and you'll net $7 for yourself

How hard is it to make accounts or post them on certain referral websites (countless of them) and just keep repeating the process

I ordered Thai Food, through delivery.com, did the double Account thing
Got $30 worth of food, used $7 credit + 30% off first order
So you can say I got almost 50% off

Food was fuckng fresh and hot in under 15-20 minutes, tipped the guy $2

So $30 worth of food for $15, that lasted me 2.5 days is fucking amazing!

Applebees and others can't compete with that

Oh, I forgot you earn point per dollar or some shit, so my order earned me 220 points which is like $2.20 credit or some shit like that, then used my credit card with cash back bonus for "restaurant" and seriously, all that shit adds up!

I'm not a millennial, but I'll use any advantage I can get!

Only reason I sometimes go to my nearest B-Dubs is to watch UFC, and even then there are closer sports bars to me that show it anyways, so it's not that often.

D i Z

Damned Millennials are going to kill out all of the chains that I routinely ignore!

*Slides the closest Millennial a five*

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tipping is what kills me. If I get takeout I don't have to pay an addition 15-20% of the cost. It is a complete waste to eat out. Also drink prices at restaurants are out of control.

I think that's part of the reason people like fast casual. You cut out the need for a waiter/waitress which by an large people don't need and would rather skip.

Belfast

Older industries/businesses once again finding out far too late that their operating models have been outdated. It wouldn't matter what you call this generation, time marches forward, tastes and technology change, and you have to adapt.

Its so weird to champion capitalism, but... this is capitalism. Same with the movie industry/Rotten Tomatoes bullshit. Quit blaming your customers and figure out how to make better stuff or be more attractive to younger consumers. Capitalism is supposed to shake out the underperformers and that is what is happening. Strange how "big business" doesn't seem to get that.

Kyrios

Remind me again, what years so millennials come from? Late 90s-early 00s?

I read 1989-1990s. But the more I search the more that range seems to change.

Some say mid-80s to the 1990s, others say it starts at 1990.

So basically, if you're bad for the economy, you're a millennial it seems lol

ShowDog

80% of the time my wife and I go out to eat we get SHIT service. It actively harms the experience of eating out (being kinda ticked off isn't any fun) and then when the bill comes and you just spent all this money and then have to tip on top of it... We don't even bother anymore outside of a few select places we really enjoy and know we'll be treated decently. Otherwise it's cook at home or fast casual.

I really wouldn't be surprised if this experience isn't shared with many others. I'm not spending extra for garbage service, period.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The place is called Applebee's, they have a logo of an apple, but they don't exclusively sell apple based food? Ridiculous. That's bad branding.

The other place is called TGI Friday's​. Just because you slap a day on the name doesn't mean I will go there. And your menu fucking sucks. You only serve steaks and shit. Fuck outta here.

These companies had it easy for way too long, and now that they have to adapt, they are unable so they blame consumers. What about the free market they obsessed about so much when it was in their own advantage?

bman94

Or it can just be shitty food service.

Before Cheddars was built in Daytona, Applebees was the go to stop for college kids. Every time we went there the food was shitty. While I had okay at best food at Buffalo Wild Wings their damn wings always left me with bumps in my tongue. Even TGI Friday's has gotten shittier over the years.

The atmosphere of those places aren't cool anymore. I dunno, but places like those I always feel tension and pressure where I don't feel that way being at a friends apartment or small scale place.

Mortemis

Banned
yea lol we literally cannot do what they want us to because of their generation destroying everything and they are mad at us about it.

it's amazing when you think of it like that

also 'why are you not stuffing your faces with unhealthy foods! also i'm gonna make sure you can't afford healthcare'

A lot of chains are terrible. If you can get better food that's cheaper and also local, why not?

In NJ, I just would much rather prefer to go to a diner or a deli/restaurant than a national chain where everything is the same. Cost might be the same or higher but I know the service will be generally better.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Not to derail here, but not only are you abusing the system you tipped a delivery guy who works for the restaurant and not delivery.com 2 bucks... That's shitty.

Are you a stockholder of this fine corporation?

Hey if it's allowed why not?

I put the $2 in the tip box, I'm guessing that goes to the delivery guy

I paid with credit

Toothless

Used to have an Applebee's in town I frequented for trivia night. Never got anything more than a water and maybe sometimes a dessert or appetizer. It closed last November and I don't particularly miss it.

If I'm gonna spend more than $7 on a meal, it sure as hell isn't gonna be at some nationwide chain restaurant

TaterTots

Banned
At this point I don't know what a millennial is. First it was people born in the 90's, now its back to 1980. I can't take any of this shit seriously.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I love it when businesses blame millenials rather than themselves for failing to adapt.

The only reason to go to Applebees is for their happy hour. $2.00 long islands is something I'll fuck with.

Food sucks though. BWW is alright but expensive. I'd rather go to a local joint and get better food for cheaper.

Or make it myself. I hate cooking but I'm better at it than my local Applebees chefs so :p

Brinbe

Truly we are the (2nd) greatest generation

And people born in 1980 or 82 are not fucking millenials, Jesus Christ. They're on the end cusp of Gen X and are their own sort of mini gen, if anything. They would've been fucking 20 in 2000 and would be almost 40 now. That's not a fucking millenial. They were used to describe people coming of age (IN HIGH SCHOOL) around the year 2000, hence the goddamn name. This is isn't complicated shit. I'd say 84 to like 93 or a little beyond is a safe bet.

I keep forgetting Millennials are both the most powerful destructive force as well as the lazy one. We should be proud we're capable of bringing down giants without even making an effort.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

I paid with credit

What does being a stockholder have to do with compensating the delivery driver? A $2 tip is nothing, and I deserves typhus you cheapskate.

Davey Cakes

My friend gave me a $50 gift card to Applebee's more than a month ago. I've yet to use it.

I mean, the food is fine. I'm no snob. But it has to be one of the least exciting places to eat. There are so many local options that I (or anyone) would rather try out.

When I eat out with friends I want it to feel like an event. Casual dining rarely fits the bill.

Chain restaurants are a last resort at this point.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My friend gave me a $50 gift card to Applebee's recently.

I've yet to use it.

I mean, the food is fine. I'm no snob. But it has to be one of the least exciting places to eat. There are so many local optima that I (or anyone) would rather try out.

Chain restaurants are a last resort at this point.

Use the $50 to buy 4.5 lava cakes

Dryk

Its so weird to champion capitalism, but... this is capitalism. Same with the movie industry/Rotten Tomatoes bullshit. Quit blaming your customers and figure out how to make better stuff or be more attractive to younger consumers. Capitalism is supposed to shake out the underperformers and that is what is happening. Strange how "big business" doesn't seem to get that.
I'm usually the first to get annoyed that you can compensate for a subpar product with enough marketing and disinformation. But it really does only get you so far.

Zukkoyaki

I've also noticed that millenials greatly prefer locally owned joints and appreciate the quality of homemade food. At least they care more about that sort of thing than older generations.

The Argus

I paid with credit

The two bucks goes to the delivery guy, who most likely makes below minimum wage. You tipped 2 dollars on a 30 dollar meal, regardless of how much you spent on it after promos. That's a shitty tip, for one of the most dangerous jobs there is.

Regarding this "fine corporation", I'm a seamless.com fan myself, but exploiting deals only makes things worse on the already harsh terms they apply to the small businesses that they list. Here in NYC a lot of restaurants are pretty much forced to join these sites in order to remain competitive, even though Seamless and Delivery take a cut of every transaction + the usual credit card fee.

DoomGyver

BWW is overpriced chicken takeoffs. If I order two small orders of boneless wings and one drink I end up paying $25 plus tip. I can get a goddamn steak or ribs for that much.

PInk Tape

Banned
Keep crying about this crap boomers.

Good businesses that actually want to be/stay successful adapt to the market not blame them for problems that the business themselves can change. It isn't my fault your food is shit and overpriced and that our wages suck ass.

Omadahl

Banned
Anyone in a major city will tell you that chains are unnecessary because of the plethora of great local restaurants. Very few people I know even mention going to chains here in Omaha.

Chain dinners suck. I never had a good experience from any of them and the increased price of their food don't help. If I want to eat out, I'd rather go to a local Mexican food, pho or any other cheaper alternative or just cook at home.

Davey Cakes

Regift it
The plan was to treat my mom to dinner since she likes Applebee's. But, suddenly it's as if she'd rather go anywhere else, even if she's paying. She'd rather go to IHOP for fuck's sake. We're talking the blandest dine-out food you can imagine.
I don't eat out much because I don't see the value in it. That said, I had some nice experiences at restaurants over the past month since my birthday was on the 2nd and my friends know that I don't care for generic casual dining.

There are too many options. Why settle on the easiest choice possible? Restaurants like Applebee's, Chili's, Olive Garden, Outback, The 99, and others are just there for when you're too lazy to try and find something worthwhile. They're not even BAD in my opinion, just boring as all hell.

Top Bottom