• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

One time when my parents were visiting from bumfuck Oregon to Tacoma, we had to find somewhere to eat. "how about Applebee's?" my dad asks. Okay, I think, you guys drive five hours to get here and there's actually decent food around, but I'll humor you and get Applebee's. The next day we have to find a place for breakfast. "Applebee's was pretty good, should we get Applebee's again?" my dad asks. Holy fuck. I don't completely hate Applebee's, but they're probably dying because millennials developed taste and old codgers are dying off.

StoneFox

They blame Millennials for not going to these places when they should be blaming the older generation for dying off.

Damn millennials not wasting money eating out and instead choosing to cook.
Speaking as Millennial of 32, I eat out plenty. I just eat out having salad. Grated, I'm by NO means a typical a Millennial. I have change a LOT over the last year, or two.

But even so, other people I know in my life, I'm driving them to common places like McDs, and the like.

zulux21

I guess I fit.

I would much rather stay at home, not have to deal with people, and cook a meal on par with what I would order for those places for 10-15% the cost of going there.

and I don't have to tip 15% on top of that bill or deal with other people ect.

aka
burgers + fries + drinks
or
chicken Alfredo + drinks

at home to make for me and my wife, around $5 total.
at a restaurant it would be like $40 + tax + 15% tip

why wouldn't I stay home and do it myself *shrugs*

to be fair though even if I was making millions a year I still would rather just cook at home then go to a sit down restaurant.

Velcro Fly

I don't think I've eaten at an Applebee's in about 15 years

Buffalo Wild Wings in college we'd go when they had really cheap boneless wings.

sgjackson

why on earth would i eat at a bad chain for 12 bucks+ per meal when i could eat at a local restaurant that gets fresh ingredients, prepares them better, and charges like 8-10

The Applebees where I went to college was fucking delicious. Their steak and garlic mashed potatoes were better than sex. The Applebees up where I live now though? Pretty fucking awful. I've learned it's hard to judge a chain by a single restaurant, because their quality fluctuates so much between locations. Shame too...I'd do terrible things to get my hands on a plate of the good stuff again.

But yeah. These people are morons. Blaming millennials isn't going to solve shit.

The Applebees where I went to college was fucking delicious. Their steak and garlic mashed potatoes were better than sex. The Applebees up where I live now though? Pretty fucking awful. I've learned it's hard to judge a chain by a single restaurant, because their quality fluctuates so much between locations. Shame too...I'd do terrible things to get my hands on a plate of the good stuff again.

But yeah. These people are morons. Blaming millennials isn't going to solve shit.

Knowing where and why your customers are spending their money will most definitely help solve shit.

linkboy

I try to avoid places like Applebee's and Chili's because the ones where I live, they don't know what the fuck they're doing.

I was at Chili's a few months ago, ordered a classic rib-eye. Instead, they brought me a classic sirlion and tried to pass it off as a thick cut of rib-eye.

I work in food service, I'm not a moron when it comes to cuts of meat.

I live in South Dakota, there's a slew of actual, legit good restaurants here if I want to go out to eat (especially when it comes to steak).

Between my apartment and where Applebee's/Chili's are, I've got the following restaurants.

Texas Roadhouse
Longhorn Steakhouse
Famous Dave's
Five Guy
Sickie's Garage
Dakota's Steakhouse

All of which server better food then what Applebee's/Chili's offers, so why waste my time going to those places.

It was kind of funny at first, but the framing is past the point of absurd now. You guys'll get blamed for "killing" cancer next at this rate.

zulux21

Nope. I am not a millennial. Personally, I think it should be anyone born post 85

if you were born between 82-94 most places will consider you one.

A minority of demographers and researchers start the generation in the mid-to-late 1970s, such as Synchrony Financial which describes Millennials as starting as early as 1976,[22][23] Mobilize.org which uses 1976–1996,[24] MetLife which uses birth dates ranging from 1977–1994,[25] and Nielsen Media Research which uses 1977–1995.[26][27]

The majority of researchers and demographers start the generation in the early 1980s, with many ending the generation in the mid-1990s. Australia's McCrindle Research[28] regards 1980–1994 as Generation Y birth years. A 2013 PricewaterhouseCoopers[29] report and Edelman Berland[30] use 1980–1995. Gallup Inc.,[31][32][33] Eventbrite[34][35] and Dale Carnegie Training and MSW Research[36] all use 1980–1996. Ernst and Young uses 1981–1996.[37] Manpower Group uses 1982–1996.[38]

Killing Applebee's? Finally I'm doing something right!

Montana's is next cause you need your chain after a state known for outdoor BBQs yet you overcook steak on principle then charge $13 for it? Not on my watch.

spekkeh

Banned
Nope. I am not a millennial. Personally, I think it should be anyone born post 85
Yeah it's an out of whack generational divide. Originally it meant people coming of age in Y2K, so 81-83 should be the exact slot, and you could extend it a bit further. But it doesnt make sense lumping together people who grew up on cassette tapes and monochrome pcs to people growing up in a multimedia age.

dabig2

Doesn't matter what you think you are. For anyone born after 1982, you are exactly the age range they pencil in for these "killing every business ever" shit-pieces.

Honestly, if you're not 40 yet with kids past grade school and own your own home, you're who they have in the back of their mind when talking about "millennials". These generational labels are marketing nonsense anyways, so if the marketeres deem you a millennial, then you're a millennial.

Embrace it fam.

Megatron

Cooking their own food? Who are they kidding? Everyone knows Milenials still live at home. Their parents are cooking for them,

Mistake

Gold Member
Oh no, those poor failing markets that don't know how to adapt to changing times, whatever will we do? I know, let's blame the most recent generation

Dominator

I hit up Applebee's with my boys when its late at night and I want half price apps (mozzarella sticks/boneless chicken for less than $10 is a win for me). Food isn't amazing but I;m getting what I've paid for. BWW is shit though, their chicken isn't even that good.

As a Millennial though, I prefer to sit down at a restaurant instead of cooking in or some other alternative.

Those are pretty low tier restaurants. I don't think they can adapt. I've never seen a restaurant change their business model and survive. Usually they have to do a complete rebrand and effectively begin anew. Even if TGIFridays changed their entire menu and service it would have the stink of TGIFridays all over it.

To go food from what is supposed to be a sit down restaurant though is usually a bad decision. It is half as good as when you eat it at the location.

I just wish so many people didn't pretend to be so introverted.

Those are pretty low tier restaurants. I don't think they can adapt. I've never seen a restaurant change their business model and survive. Usually they have to do a complete rebrand and effectively begin anew. Even if TGIFridays changed their entire menu and service it would have the stink of TGIFridays all over it.

To go food from what is supposed to be a sit down restaurant though is usually a bad decision. It is half as good as when you eat it at the location.

I just wish so many people didn't pretend to be so introverted.

what

There was this Applebee's near my house that I would frequent every week when I was stuck on late shifts for a year. The food was unexpectedly amazing there for a long time. Then suddenly one day their menu changed and the food changed into pure shit. I think I went back there twice, realized this was how it was going to be from now on, and never went there again. It's a kind of sad but oh well. I still don't know what happened, did they change owners or something?

KHarvey16

I think the explanation changes a bit or at least expands somewhat in cities and urban areas. And this may also be true elsewhere just to a lesser extent but there are tons of non chain restaurants to choose from these days. If I want to go out to a sit down meal I'd have to go pretty far out of my way to specifically target a chain.

Nordicus

Good, both those places suck ass. I hope we're killing IHOP too while we're at it.
Given that IHOP has more of an apparent identity when it comes to its menu, even if the food quality itself is lackluster, that may take a while.
I think the explanation changes a bit or at least expands somewhat in cities and urban areas. And this may also be true elsewhere just to a lesser extent but there are tons of non chain restaurants to choose from these days. If I want to go out to a sit down meal I'd have to go pretty far out of my way to specifically target a chain.
Yea, when you open your eyes a little, then you notice that you're walking past a ton of restaurants on daily basis, so why ever go chain if there are alternatives?

Just this year I noticed that there's practically an ethnic restaurant street right next to my Uni.

if you were born between 82-94 most places will consider you one.

1980 on the dot.

Yeah it's an out of whack generational divide. Originally it meant people coming of age in Y2K, so 81-83 should be the exact slot, and you could extend it a bit further. But it doesnt make sense lumping together people who grew up on cassette tapes and monochrome pcs to people growing up in a multimedia age.

Yup. If they kept all generational divides even than the earliest Millennials would be 82 and that's still generous imo.

Doesn't matter what you think you are. For anyone born after 1982, you are exactly the age range they pencil in for these "killing every business ever" shit-pieces.

Honestly, if you're not 40 yet with kids past grade school and own your own home, you're who they have in the back of their mind when talking about "millennials". These generational labels are marketing nonsense anyways, so if the marketeres deem you a millennial, then you're a millennial.

Embrace it fam.

Usually when I hear people talk about millennial's they're always referring to college age kids.

Then what do you think you are you Gen X?

1980 so late Gen X by many standards.

As a milennial, half apps at applebee's is the shit

Wings and mozzarella sticks for like 8 bucks? Sign me up

I used to do this at mine here in town but since Applebee's food is so bad no one ever ordered anything else. To save money, they exempted all the good shit from the promotion and I never went back.

It just closed this past week so I guess no one else did either.

Lucreto

I love these articles. They basically read as why is this generation not conforming to the way we have been doing for years? Instead of looking at an evolving market and trying new things.

iCV2rzNzM5-Xk5pvNKvbWvz0KeE=.gif

Nordicus

I think a common measurement for whether you're millenial is that "You remember the day of 9/11, but weren't an adult yet when it happened"

Top Bottom