• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

Swig_

I rarely eat at sit down restaurants unless it's a dinner with family or some kind of special occasion, like going to Benihana or something on my birthday.

The only time I ever go to BWW is on Tuesday for half price wings and occasionally dine-in on weekday lunches since half the time it's free since they suck and can't get food out in a timely manner (Fast Break lunch special).

I mostly cook at home or go to restaurants without a server. The only time I really go to dine-in restaurants is when I have some kind of discount or there's some kind of special event.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Wtf? Anything goes wrong now and Millenials will get the blame?

Scapegoats. Maybe Millenials are sick of this overpriced underwhelming food.

I've also noticed that millenials greatly prefer locally owned joints and appreciate the quality of homemade food. At least they care more about that sort of thing than older generations.

I came to say this, too.

There are dozens of great places I have yet to try. I don't need to get AppleBees.

Jotakori

There was an applebees pretty close to where I last lived, so my roommate and I would go there every now and again. Over the few years I lived there, though, I felt the food got progressively worse. So maybe if their stuff tasted better? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I definitely also prefer to order food than bother with going out, but when I DO go out I like to go to unique local joints. Their food is always way better and the settings often more interesting.

Calion

First they came for the fabric softener. Then they're cutting cable subscriptions. And now Applebees?? God damn animals

Fast Casual killing this off. Stuff that's more like Chipotle or Five Guys vs Applebee's or TGIFridays.

You can order what you want and get it faster without having to deal with sitting down with a waiter/waitress as well as the added cost.

Food trucks as well. Get actual authentic food, often times cheaper than the big chains.

bebop242

I thought bdubs was still pretty popular. Applebees can die and take Olive Garden and Chilis with them.

TGI Fridays, You cool fam.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The food quality isn't really bad at these chains. It's just more convenient to eat elsewhere. I'm only going to bother with a full service restaurant when I'm with family.

antibolo

Banned
This is the most farfetched "millenials are killing X" I've seen so far. They don't even have a consistent reasoning for it.

zeshakag

My friends and I eat out a lot! We don't go to Applebee's or chain shit though. Kitsap county has plenty of good local pubs and restaurants.

depths20XX

Why is it always the fault of millennials for businesses failing? Isn't it the other way around? The businesses should be adapting to the current trends. If not, then they fail.

I've never heard this blame game before when businesses fail.

HTupolev

I went to Buffalo Wild Wings once. It was garbage, even disregarding the price.
Recently someone I know went to Buffalo Wild Wings. She ended up with food poisoning.

If Buffalo Wild Wings is dying and millennials are responsible, I guess they have good taste.

Its seems the problem comes down to the amount of money we have. Time and time again we have tried to raise the minimum wage and time and time again they make ways to stop it. Not to mention the student debt crisis. If we don't have extra money to spend guess what? its not spent on things that can boom the economy like restaurants.

Instead of blaming a generation that doesn't fall for overprice food and bad service, these companies should probably lower CEO and board member's pay because they are failing to adapt. If they actually reached out to their base and ask them why they don't eat there its probably the following: cant afford it, food quality, bad service.

Wtf? Anything goes wrong now and Millenials will get the blame?

Scapegoats. Maybe Millenials are sick of this overpriced underwhelming food.

I mean, it's par the course that the youngest adult generation gets blamed for everything, but I do feel like Millenials seem to got it worse than Gen X did. I mean, Gen X got blamed for a lot, particularly the 'degrading' of society's moral values and blah blah. But it's like Millenials are blamed for...everything. We're managing to take down entire fucking industries that have been around for decades upon decades, apparently.

More like Crapplebees

I mean, it's par the course that the youngest adult generation gets blamed for everything, but I do feel like Millenials seem to got it worse than Gen X did. I mean, Gen X got blamed for a lot, particularly the 'degrading' of society's moral values and blah blah. But it's like Millenials are blamed for...everything. We're managing to take down entire fucking industries that have been around for decades upon decades, apparently.

We are guilty in so far as we've adapted to live in the world with which we are presented. Tastes change over time. Technology disrupts how we live our lives. We are not our parents generation.
Likely we are far different from them as they were from their parents thanks to the rapid advancement of technology. There's nothing wrong with casual dining losing customers. Casual dining is down but now convenience eating is in. Sunrise and sunset.

Dhx

The bottom line is that these are dying business models. Anything social/entertainment that takes up large blocks of time and isn't rare is an endangered species. No one ever went to these establishments for the food. It was a social experience. There are exceptions (bars serve a niche that isn't likely to go anywhere), but this is the same phenomena we're seeing with movie theaters.

Technology has given us endless alternatives.

digdug2k

As someone who straddles both gens (79) I think I found "you're destroying our moral values" more of an insult than "you're not supporting the same restaurants your parents did".

As someone who straddles both gens (79) I think I found "you're destroying our moral values" more of an insult than "you're not supporting the same restaurants your parents did".

You either missed the point or didn't fully read what I said. It's "you're destroying our moral values" vs "you're destroying society as a whole."

Makonero

Eating at home and eating with our parents? OMG it's like we can't afford to eat out all the time and when we do choose to eat out we either eat super cheap or splurge on local places.

commedieu

Banned
A ton of people are saying they make meals at home. But, she said elders making food for millennials, is to blame. Which is extra salty.

People are into good food. Make good food that delivers.

Done.

Luke_Wal

As a college student, I feel like almost al of my friends love Bdubs, and we go all the time. Applebee's, on the other hand...

MLH

Huh, I though Millennials couldn't afford housing due to us eating out all the time, now restaurant chains are failing because we're not eating out. Which is it?

Which is funny, because while it is probably an anecdotal story, while I'm a Millennial myself at 32, the one person I know who LOVES Buffalo Wild Wings is 12 years my junior at 20 years old.

BradC00

I go to the BWW here in Utah, and usually order pick-up. The wings aren't good compared to local joints, and the ones here don't have any sports on that I can't get with a basic sports package and sunday ticket, so I stopped going there.

Huh, I though Millennials couldn't afford housing due to us eating out all the time, now restaurant chains are failing because we're not eating out. Which is it?

We are eating out. Just not at casual dinning like Texas Whorehouse and Chillis

Boomer's new angle when their shitty corporate schemes don't pan out: blame millennials.

Only in this 1984 bullshit world we now live in full of "alternative facts" can millennials be both blamed for stagnant real estate growth from eating out too much, but also killing casual dining because they eat home too much.

Poppy

i have really low standards for chain restaurants and i think applebees is the only one that has ever sunk below those standards. FUCK applebees

Top Bottom