• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephtes

Once again, Milo has been on Fox News many, many times. That this time is the one your mother saw him on is almost immaterial.

Maybe so, I don't watch enough of it to know, or in what context Fox news had him on.
I suspect it probably wasn't in prime time, or he was posing as some pundit, not actually the subject of news of the night like he was tonight.
I would argue that being the subject of the news might make someone more memorable than appearing with Hannity or O'Reilly or whoever...

eggandI

Banned
Minorities pay for it by being shot or incarcerated by the police, women pay for it with rape culture and sexual assault, the sick and the poor pay for it when their healthcare, education, and housing are taken away by the rich.

Your chief mistake is that assuming this violence is totally unprovoked.

Oh but he doesn't care that minorities and leftists as a whole are being dehumanized by the right

The only thing he cares about is order

Chumley

Banned
Easy to stay when those pussies aren't the ones paying for the property damage. It's easy to act like manbabies out there breaking shit every night rather than having a discussion like an adult.

Keep calling every Trump supporter every name you can think of. Been working out great so far huh

Yeah dude, anyone who doesn't just let the man march you right into the gas chamber is a manbaby. They want to execute us politely, how dare we protest and riot in response.

eggandI

Banned
Yeah dude, anyone who doesn't just let the man march you right into the gas chamber is a manbaby. They want to execute us politely, how dare we protest and riot in response.

Oh look at that guys post history lol

Of course he's a butthurt trump supporter and also called the guy who punched the Pepe nazi a coward

Not surprised at all

Good job people who set stuff on fire and got this speech canceled.
Now Yiannopolis was given air time on Fox News.

My mom watches Fox News.
She didn't know who this douche was before tonight.
Now she does, and because it was someplace friendly to Yiannopolis like Fox, now she thinks he's a "nice boy who just wants to talk and those mean protesters are stifling the first ammendment."

Good fucking job. You just gave the jackhole a bigger microphone for his message.
If you just would have let him give his little speech and protest without burning the fucking place down, he would have spoken to a room of like minded individuals and wouldn't have made it on a giant news network to expand his hate speech.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.
It's really helping ... Really.
Is your mother a five year old with no capacity for critical thinking? Does she have no self-control, and require the news to tell her how to perceive things?

theWB27

Maybe so, I don't watch enough of it to know, or in what context Fox news had him on.
I suspect it probably wasn't in prime time, or he was posing as some pundit, not actually the subject of news of the night like he was tonight.
I would argue that might make someone more memorable than appearing with Hannity or O'Reilly or whoever...

Do us a favor. Show them what this Milo character does and has done.

Tell us their reaction.

Chumley

Banned
Oh look at that guys post history lol

Of course he's a butthurt trump supporter and also called the guy who punched the Pepe nazi a coward

Not surprised at all

Like fucking clockwork.

10 years ago apologizing for Neo-Nazi's would get you instantly permabanned at every message board besides Stormfront. Now it's just a "point of view".

Dai101

Banned
An hour or so old so I'm probably late on this.

C3oR5yYVcAAIXoG.jpg:small

AYYY

eggandI

Banned
Like fucking clockwork.

10 years ago apologizing for Neo-Nazi's would get you instantly permabanned at every message board besides Stormfront. Now it's just a "point of view".

I think a lot of conservatives are realizing that they have much in common with neo-nazis. 😉

MLK Jr. was opposed by racists, but not because he was burning things and not allowing the racists to speak. Actually his philosophy of protest is very different from what I see in this thread.

Since this is Black History Month, let me help you.

From Martin Luther King Jr.'s The Other America speech.

Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non­-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results.

But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met.

Which is to say, aim for civil protest. Make sure that it does not turn violent. But to focus on that violence without focusing equally or in greater measure the actions that lead to that violence is wrong.

And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.

Sounds somewhat familiar. An unjust peace is not preferable justice at the hands of rough action. Let's move on:

And we will never solve the problem of racism until there is a recognition of the fact that racism still stands at the center of so much of our nation and we must see racism for what it is. Hitler was a very sick man. He was one of the great tragedies of history. But he was very honest. He took his racism to its logical conclusion. The minute his racism caused him to sickly feel and go about saying that there was something innately inferior about the Jew he ended up killing six million Jews. The ultimate logic of racism is genocide, and if one says that one is not good enough to have a job that is a solid quality job, if one is not good enough to have access to public accommodations, if one is not good enough to have the right to vote, if one is not good enough to live next door to him, if one is not good enough to marry his daughter because of his race. Then at that moment that person is saying that that person who is not good to do all of this is not fit to exist or to live. And that is the ultimate logic of racism.

There is an answer to that myth. It is the time is neutral. It can be used either constructively or destructively. And I'm sad to say to you tonight I'm absolutely convinced that the forces of ill will in our nation, the forces on the wrong side in our nation, the extreme righteous of our nation have often used time much more effectively than the forces of good will and it may well be that we may have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words of the bad people who will say bad things in a meeting like this or who will bomb a church in Birmingham, Alabama, but for the appalling silence and indifference of the good people who sit around and say wait on time.

In the Letter from Birmingham Jail.

You worry about blocking traffic? Or preventing a speaker from talking?

Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." The purpose of our direct action program is to create a situation so crisis packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation. I therefore concur with you in your call for negotiation. Too long has our beloved Southland been bogged down in a tragic effort to live in monologue rather than dialogue.

Further:

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

In your statement you assert that our actions, even though peaceful, must be condemned because they precipitate violence. But is this a logical assertion? Isn't this like condemning a robbed man because his possession of money precipitated the evil act of robbery? Isn't this like condemning Socrates because his unswerving commitment to truth and his philosophical inquiries precipitated the act by the misguided populace in which they made him drink hemlock? Isn't this like condemning Jesus because his unique God consciousness and never ceasing devotion to God's will precipitated the evil act of crucifixion?

Don't be the moderate. The moderate is an evil of banality. If you have the ability to worry for this, then have the ability to fight for your fellow man and their civil rights.

Magus1234

VICE: So—punching Richard Spencer in the face, OK or not OK?
Randy Cohen: No. You don't get to punch people in the face, even if their ideas are odious. You don't. We want a civil society, where ideas are met with other ideas. We don't want a society that encourages thuggish behavior, where if someone has politics different from yours, you get to beat them up. Aside from it just being morally wrong in itself to assault people, there's the practical consideration that in a society where ideas are met with fists, one is as likely to be the punched as the puncher, and it's no fun to be punched in the face.

Does violence against a political enemy become justified if they are not only encouraging violence against targeted groups but systematically committing it?
Not for speech. Even though he's encouraging actions that we find horrible, he's not our moral teacher, we're not supposed to imitate his methods. We don't do that. There is no tipping point there—you don't respond with violence. You do have the right to defend yourself if physically attacked, but that's not what this was.

Although Trump is in office, they are still losing the battle. Facts, compassion, education and legal action will win. You need to fight but not with your hands. It might not be now but this wave of Right Wing leadership will not last, it is, imho, a dying wail. Here is what a map of Millennial voters looks like. It is only going to get more blue over time, and the goal post will only shift further where Dems now will seem conservative.

https://thumbs.mic.com/YTNiZTk0MjdmMCMvcHdidDV2dEhNOUZxNzRiSkJnQWRwN09KU0tBPS8xNngxMjo3Nzh4NTU4LzYyMXg0NDUvZmlsdGVyczpxdWFsaXR5KDcwKS9odHRwOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL3Vhb3Y3aXJlaGIyNGk0dnI5c25lMGM2Y2l3dWR1b201cXJsbXlicGZsNTE0cWJ0Y3Bmc21ocG5pM2hmcjRqbWYuanBn.jpg

Lois_Lane

Although Trump is in office, they are still losing the battle. Facts, compassion, education and legal action will win. You need to fight but not with your hands. It might not be now but this wave of Right Wing leadership will not last, it is, imho, a dying wail. Here is what a map of Millennial voters looks like. It is only going to get more blue over time, and the goal post will only shift further where Dems now will seem conservative.

https://thumbs.mic.com/YTNiZTk0MjdmMCMvcHdidDV2dEhNOUZxNzRiSkJnQWRwN09KU0tBPS8xNngxMjo3Nzh4NTU4LzYyMXg0NDUvZmlsdGVyczpxdWFsaXR5KDcwKS9odHRwOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL3Vhb3Y3aXJlaGIyNGk0dnI5c25lMGM2Y2l3dWR1b201cXJsbXlicGZsNTE0cWJ0Y3Bmc21ocG5pM2hmcjRqbWYuanBn.jpg

Lol. The Repubs control 34 states and have significant power in 12 of the rest. Take a step back from the bubble and look around you. This is not a dying wail.

To be blunt, the text you quoted is pretty fucking terrible.

1) "Thuggish behavior", lmao, I think we know what he's trying to get at here, considering the puncher in question was black.

2) "You can't respond with violence unless you had violence done to you", truly the words of a privileged person. Oppression and violence happen in many, many ways other than physical. You have minorities of every race, color and creed getting trampled on a daily basis, their rights revoked, their freedoms limited, their speech annulled. You have bigots and bullies and supremacists who wish nothing more than to exterminate their kind rise to power and become prominent figures, billionaires, even presidents and government puppet masters. But one person decides to punch a neo Nazi in the face? HOLD THE PHONE, SHUT DOOR, STOP EVERYTHING! THIS IS WHERE WE DRAW THE LINE!

I really wish the privileged would simply fucking stop trying to lecture others about "how to protest". Y'all are not helping the cause, just getting in the way.

How long do you think that will last?

At least two years (at the very least), and look at where we are in 12 days.

The people doing the most damage to the country, democracy, and general civilized decency are the ones in the fucking white house. Y'all are barking up the wrong tree.

Alavard

If you accept that Hitler could not have been stopped with words, then you accept there is a line that can be crossed where violence becomes necessary. The question then becomes where that line is.

Droplet

I hope this keeps up. Don't let him speak anywhere. If universities know he will just attract protests and violence, they'll stop booking him.

It's been said multiple times before, but it was a student club that booked him. There's also no way they didn't know this was going to happen.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
How much of any of this is a surprise after - as far as I know - Milo's last appearance resulted in one of his fans shooting someone from the other side?

Maybe setting stuff on fire is wrong and counter productive. Okay sure. But at some point people have to realize when Literal Nazis and allies of Literal Nazis begin openly showing up once more and holding events and gathering followers, at some point shit is going to go down.

This is just one of the many ways in which Literal Nazis are bad news. Because people won't stand around forever and just let them have the run of the place because someone asked politely "please don't be Nazis" and the Nazis laughed and kept being Nazis.

FroJay

Banned

With all the attacks on people that were there to see Milo tonight, ya gotta wonder how much longer they'll attend these events without arming themselves? There were multiple recorded attacks on women tonight. Clearly the left is arming themselves with metal poles and pepper spray, when will Milo supporters start arming themselves? This is gonna get messy.

With all the attacks on people that were there to see Milo tonight, ya gotta wonder how much longer they'll attend these events without arming themselves? There were multiple recorded attacks on women tonight. Clearly the left is arming themselves with metal pipes and pepper spray, when will Milo supporters start arming themselves? This is gonna get messy.

Once again, already happened. Welcome to last week.

I don't hear any hate speech, friend.

Just a difference in ideas that should be vigorously debated.

Legislation is more important than debate.

Magus1234

To be blunt, the text you quoted is pretty fucking terrible.

I really wish the privileged would simply fucking stop trying to lecture others about "how to protest". Y'all are not helping the cause, just getting in the way.

At least two years (at the very least), and look at where we are in 12 days.

The people doing the most damage to the country, democracy, and general civilized decency are the ones in the fucking white house. Y'all are barking up the wrong tree.
He was white btw. The actual act is of little concern to me, I was hype when I saw the gif and I was glad when the protest beat Milo, but I am just discussing the underlying principles and the way things are moving.

With voter suppression, 'both sides!', and the youth being a bunch of lazy ass gits. I'm going to say awhile.

What is a while though? Even 10 years, thats nothing. Sure a ton of fucking damage can be done and I am not saying sit back and take it, but on the grand scale here I think they are screwed.

Chumley

Banned
So free speech doesn't exist......got it. And employing violence is a good method of dealing with it. What would happen if the right had this same mentality? Civil war?

So you think hate speech and calling for ethnic cleansing is free speech. Got it.

Lots of people exposing themselves tonight.

SwolBro

Banned
How much of any of this is a surprise after - as far as I know - Milo's last appearance resulted in one of his fans shooting someone from the other side?

Maybe setting stuff on fire is wrong and counter productive. Okay sure. But at some point people have to realize when Literal Nazis and allies of Literal Nazis begin openly showing up once more and holding events and gathering followers, at some point shit is going to go down.

This is just one of the many ways in which Literal Nazis are bad news. Because people won't stand around forever and just let them have the run of the place because someone asked politely "please don't be Nazis" and the Nazis laughed and kept being Nazis.

So, Milo is a gay nazi? Really? That's a bit funky isn't it.

Can you show me something that he has said that is equivalent to being a nazi? He's an asshole troll for sure but these claims of nazi this and nazi that thrown around constantly.....

Will be waiting for examples.

FroJay

Banned
So you think hate speech and calling for ethnic cleansing is free speech. Got it.

Lots of people exposing themselves tonight.

Milo was going to speak about ethnic cleansing? Source?

If you start banning speech how far will it go? What's the limit?

FroJay

Banned
"Once again, Welcome to last week."

Not shocked with the number of attacks that have occurred. One example on your end, and nice snide comment. Again, not shocked. And if that shooting was self defense there will be plenty of blood shed to come. Unfortunate to say the least.

He was white btw. The actual act is of little concern to me, I was hype when I saw the gif and I was glad when the protest beat Milo, but I am just discussing the underlying principles and the way things are moving.

I understand, but there's also plenty of harm to be made when people want to lecture others about the "right way to protest", especially to minorities who are doing so to defend their existence.

Can you show me something that he has said that is equivalent to being a nazi? He's an asshole troll for sure but these claims of nazi this and nazi that thrown around constantly.....

Did you miss the linked example of him writing "GOD HATES FAGS" all over a restaurant receipt or...?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

All these guys are fucking weird...

Stephen Miller is Jewish
Milo is Gay
Bannon was a naval officer and a Hollywood Producer

They are either Nazi or wannabe Nazis...I don't really give a fuck, I mean does it make a difference really?

theWB27

Milo was going to speak about ethnic cleansing? Source?

If you start banning speech how far will it go? What's the limit?

Protesting speech is not banning speech.

You really have to excuse the oppressed for not wanting to go backward.

rjinaz

Since this is Black History Month, let me help you.

From Martin Luther King Jr.'s The Other America speech.

Which is to say, aim for civil protest. Make sure that it does not turn violent. But to focus on that violence without focusing equally or in greater measure the actions that lead to that violence is wrong.

Sounds somewhat familiar. An unjust peace is not preferable justice at the hands of rough action. Let's move on:

In the Letter from Birmingham Jail.

You worry about blocking traffic? Or preventing a speaker from talking?

Further:

Don't be the moderate. The moderate is an evil of banality. If you have the ability to worry for this, then have the ability to fight for your fellow man and their civil rights.

Amazing post. Thank you.

Nephtes

Is your mother a five year old with no capacity for critical thinking? Does she have no self-control, and require the news to tell her how to perceive things?

I feel like you don't understand how news media works today.
News media in the past was about the news.
Just the facts.
Or at least it was presented as such in a non-salacious manner that was largely boring, without overt political bent.

Then the Vidal vs Buckley debates happened and all of a sudden in your face debates became en vogue.

Fast forward to today, the news is presented through a filter right or left.
There is no middle, the networks have their agendas, right (i.e. Fox) and left (i.e. MSNBC). People watch the network that confirms their own personal bias.
Because it validates your own world view. And that feels good.

So when you have the thing that validates your world view framing something to be good or bad, that's engrained. It's a first impression is the one that will likely be strongest.

So it's not as simple as telling someone your world view, when they have their own.

This is why I'm upset about this situation.
I'm very much of the opinion that the less of this guy the world sees, the less he can spread his message to vulnerable people who maybe don't have someone like you or me to try and explain WHY Yiannopoulos is such a threat.

I'm also of the opinion that asshats like him should be allowed to say what they want so we know they are asshats and can protest against them in a peaceful manner. I'd much rather know Yiannopoulos is a giant tool than have him keep all his bullshit inside and leave it feaster so long he did something like a Dylan Roof...

Ponn

Banned

While you're waiting can you get that proof and evidence I asked you for a couple pages ago that your claim of protesting was increasing Milo's brand?

'kay thanks

SwolBro

Banned
All these guys are fucking weird...

Stephen Miller is Jewish
Milo is Gay
Bannon was a naval officer and a Hollywood Producer

They are either Nazi or wannabe Nazis...I don't really give a fuck, I mean does it make a difference really?

So what i got from this is anyone that you don't agree with is automatically a nazi. got it.

Nuh-uh, dude, you don't get to ask for examples then claim "doesn't count!" when you're being given one.
a flamboyant and vocal gay man hates gays. craziness.

FroJay

Banned
Protesting speech is not banning speech.

You really have to excuse the oppressed for not wanting to go backward.

Protesting? Those were riots; people were pepper sprayed and beaten. Snide comment noted. It's a theme in this thread. Awaiting next snarky response, best to check out of this thread. The word "Nazi" is thrown around reckelessly these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom