• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There must be a way around this though. On PS3 we had games like Afrika which has a 400 MB save file, so like hundreds of times bigger than the usual size. Others like LBP later incorporated the save file data into the install data which is allowed to be several GB.

Not to mention that I find it hard to believe both Sony and MS have set the same limit.

Another option would be to offer servers and save bigger worlds on there. That way people could also access&share them w/o needing the original host to be online... (my biggest issue with the game atm. I'm a complete MC noob and actually won't have much time for the game, but I would love to have a world shared with PSN friends that I can visit from time to time to see the total progress)

there absolutely must be ways around it. And I agree that servers are needed - even if we were forced to use realms that would be better than nothing.

The Llama

Random mining tip that I learned a few years ago: Always place your torches on one side (I always put them on the left) so you can easily find your way out of your mines (so if you place them on the left as you're digging, when you wanna get back to the surface, just make sure they're on your right side).

Deadstar

Is there a sony customer support email address I can email to fix my pricing issue? Still showing up as $19.99. I was hoping there was just some lag time in the servers and it wasn't seeing my save. I need that $4.99 ps4 version!

Fox Mulder

Random mining tip that I learned a few years ago: Always place your torches on one side (I always put them on the left) so you can easily find your way out of your mines (so if you place them on the left as you're digging, when you wanna get back to the surface, just make sure they're on your right side).

yep, started doing that myself after I had to dig out one time.

Wow, the remote play of the PS4 version on Vita works amazingly well. I was able to play a bunch last night chilling in bed. Zero lag, completely playable, no functions lost. R2 and L2 are on the triggers and L1 and R1 are left and right D-pad. Need to see if I can even get it to work with party chat.

PS- I've played MC on and off since the very early beta, just realized there was a block/parry button with swords last night. Derp.

I sort of want this, but am very nervous of not enjoying it...The split-screen and online co-op is really calling to me. I played some version on the PC but it wasn't online and all I had was a big world where I just started digging to the lava and got bored.

Is the PS4 version more structured? I just get the feeling that I played a very outdated PC version and want to give it another go

Edit: Wow you can grow crops too? I never got any of this on the PC version I played..

Seanspeed

Banned
I sort of want this, but am very nervous of not enjoying it...The split-screen and online co-op is really calling to me. I played some version on the PC but it wasn't online and all I had was a big world where I just started digging to the lava and got bored.

Is the PS4 version more structured? I just get the feeling that I played a very outdated PC version and want to give it another go
How long ago did you play the PC version?

Edit: Wow you can grow crops too? I never got any of this on the PC version I played..

Last time you played on PC there weren't crops?? You've missed a bunch. Worlds are way bigger now ("infinite" on PC, still quite large on PS4/Xbone). There are some more 'day to day' goals such as enchanting weapons/armor using XP, potions to make combat more enjoyable. Also the Nether realm for those that wish to lose all their hard earned diamond tools in a fiery blaze :D

So how does online work? Anytime I'm at the main menu / start game where it shows Join Game it is always blank. And don't see a server name or anything for my game.

Is there somewhere to go to join random peoples games?

I take back my earlier comment about the world not being as big as I would like. After travelling north from my starting point and reaching the coast in a short amount of time, and being disappointed, I then started to circumnavigate the continent I was on to see how long it would take. Many many days later I'm still at it, and I started using a boat to go faster, and I still haven't gotten back to my starting point (I built a house on a hilltop for a landmark.)

So how does online work? Anytime I'm at the main menu / start game where it shows Join Game it is always blank. And don't see a server name or anything for my game.

Is there somewhere to go to join random peoples games?
You can only join friend's games, I'm afraid. And they have to be online and playing in an open game.

How long ago did you play the PC version?

I want to say slightly over a year.

Last time you played on PC there weren't crops?? You've missed a bunch. Worlds are way bigger now ("infinite" on PC, still quite large on PS4/Xbone). There are some more 'day to day' goals such as enchanting weapons/armor using XP, potions to make combat more enjoyable. Also the Nether realm for those that wish to lose all their hard earned diamond tools in a fiery blaze :D

Nice.

I think my biggest issue was that there was no tutorial, so I never sat down to "get" the game. I made a 4x4 house, dug to the lava section, but got bored.

Is the goal still to just build stuff? I'm worried I may not be creative enough for it, but I would enjoy trying, especially if I can do it online/locally.

Is online like on the PC where it looks like you can go and join other worlds that have their own challenges/dungeons? Can you join those insanely crafted worlds I see on Youtube and "play" a game with a goal?

I want to really get this, but I'm really worried that it will be squandered by my lack of creativity :(

Also, what's up with the PS4/X1 not matching PC? I noticed a lot of pop-in on the IGN Review, seems a bit lazy? Will the console versions get updated? How far is the console version from PC?

NeonDelta

Nice.

I think my biggest issue was that there was no tutorial, so I never sat down to "get" the game. I made a 4x4 house, dug to the lava section, but got bored.

Is the goal still to just build stuff? I'm worried I may not be creative enough for it, but I would enjoy trying, especially if I can do it online/locally.

Is online like on the PC where it looks like you can go and join other worlds that have their own challenges/dungeons? Can you join those insanely crafted worlds I see on Youtube and "play" a game with a goal?

I want to really get this, but I'm really worried that it will be squandered by my lack of creativity :(

Also, what's up with the PS4/X1 not matching PC? I noticed a lot of pop-in on the IGN Review, seems a bit lazy? Will the console versions get updated? How far is the console version from PC?
I wasn't sure I'd like it (only previous experience was trial on iPad a few years back) but I can't stop playing it, I'm not a very creative person and have probably spend 30 hours since release on Thursday hardly doing anything, just messing about mining and exploring

Shame you can't expand maps which you can do on PC

Seanspeed

Banned
Well the console version is still a couple updates behind the PC version, so what you played probably isn't massively different than what's there now.

Going by your other comments, I'm guessing you simply didn't spend much time learning about the game. The console version is a bit more 'structured' in the sense that there is a tutorial that teaches you the basics and you don't have to worry about learning or remembering recipes, which does make a big difference(still wish they'd include this option on PC), so its easier to understand and get into what you should be doing.

But past that, yea, its still something of a creativity-based game. But you don't have to be some artistically minded soul to enjoy it(I'm certainly not). I think anybody with a few ounces of creativity in them(did you enjoy Legos as a kid?) can probably get along with it quite well. There's no guarantees, but I think if you're here(which means you're still interested), I'd still recommend it. A lot of people don't get it til they really give it an honest shot.

HGStormy

Banned
The staircase blocks show up differently depending on where you're aiming when you place them. It seems to be split through the middle of whatever block you're aiming at, and then it becomes reversed depending on whether you're aiming at a block above or below you

^ Thanks SeanSpeed/NeonDelta

Played the PS4 demo, and I enjoy it. Little joys in exploring things like grass, breaking it, making something...I imagine the sense of exploration/crafting will really open up. One thing: are there a lot of worlds to explore/dungeons? Everything is randomly generated, right? It wouldn't be possible to play in someone's pre-made world, like in LBP?

I know there are awesome underworld caves, but are there similar other locales like islands, mountains, etc?

Has there been an eta for the ps3 patch to upload saves to ps4?

Dying to play but I don't really wanna start again but continue and expand on me and the wife's ps3 world.

Plus I'm dying to show off our world to a friend who just got it on ps4 :)

^ Thanks SeanSpeed/NeonDelta

Played the PS4 demo, and I enjoy it. Little joys in exploring things like grass, breaking it, making something...I imagine the sense of exploration/crafting will really open up. One thing: are there a lot of worlds to explore/dungeons? Everything is randomly generated, right? It wouldn't be possible to play in someone's pre-made world, like in LBP?

I know there are awesome underworld caves, but are there similar other locales like islands, mountains, etc?

There a lot of different biomes (terrain types), not sure if PS4 has all of them.. you can play in other people's worlds, which is essentially what you describe, except that I don't think you can download them in the PS4 version.

So, i've finally got some redstone.... what are some cool things to do with it?

Gates are my go-to contraptions to make with redstone. You'll need to make pistons as well. Redstone can be frustrating for some people due to the fact it is basic computer circuitry but once you get the hang of it you can make some really cool stuff. I would start messing around with redstone and pistons and just seeing what you can come up with.

Lucent

This game is gonna be bad for me. lol. I made my first world on the PS4 version and I built my first house into a cliff and then built another place right across from it in another cliff. I'm not sure if it's going to be a mine or an expansion. Probably a mine. No reason to have another house. I'll just expand the other one. lol.

I think it's more fun playing survival than creation mode. Like having stuff that's trying to kill me. I mean, creation mode can be fun for just making stuff, but I like feeling like I'm trying to make the best out of the situation when building stuff.

Kind of have a question, though. I played the tutorial level in the demo and they had villagers and stuff. I thought that was cool because I never saw stuff like that in the PC version when I played years ago. But I went and skipped it after buying the game and I haven't seen any villagers yet. Are they in the game randomly in some villages if you didn't choose to start with the tutorial?

N° 2048

I'm such an idiot for making my lair inside a mountain, things keep creeping in from the underground mining maze, should have made a floating sky-castle. So many wasted hours.

Make sure you add lots of torches. As long as it is sealed, nothing should spawn there.

Theecliff

Banned
What difficulty is everyone playing on? While I know a little bit about MC due to videos and such, aside from playing the tutorial I'm pretty much new to the game and don't know whether I should go with easy or normal.

Lucent

What difficulty is everyone playing on? While I know a little bit about MC due to videos and such, aside from playing the tutorial I'm pretty much new to the game and don't know whether I should go with easy or normal.

I'm just playing on Normal. I bet Peaceful (below easy) probably has little to no monsters. Haven't tried that though.

N° 2048

I'd start with Normal then transition to Hard.

survival hard but at the moment i sleep right when it gets dark lol.

Go with normal. It's not that hard and you'll die a little early on but I think you'll learn from your mistakes. It'll teach you to keep some materials behind in a chest, what enemies to take on and which to avoid, etc. I believe until you're advancing further in the game, items are the only thing that really hurt to lose if you die. When you're getting deeper into the game then the lost exp might hurt too. Just watch out for your items would be my main tip. If you have that under control, as in they're easy to retrieve or you have a stash back at your base, you won't even mind dying.

Is it considered a major drawback that you can't download levels like on PC? Seems like a huge missing feature. Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Is it considered a major drawback that you can't download levels like on PC? Seems like a huge missing feature. Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

What you mean with levels? User made creations or worlds seeds?
You can't download the first, but you can input seed codes

MMaRsu

I'm such an idiot for making my lair inside a mountain, things keep creeping in from the underground mining maze, should have made a floating sky-castle. So many wasted hours.

No, zombies and spiders have been spawning in my building zone un the sky. I need tp close it off but green bitches keep spawning and blowing up some of my shit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Hollowed out mountain lairs are great. If you actually have holes into your mine then close them off. Most likely mobs are spawning inside your place if there are any dark spots.

GulAtiCa

I wonder how much gold & redstone blocks there are on avg in this version.

The madman in me would love to create some kind of crazy rail system with a control center can can open paths from 1 area in advance. Would need a lot of redstones though!

Top Bottom