• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

new kickstarter might interest some folks.

its Blue Table Painting Turbo Army kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/751320573/blue-table-paintings-turbo-army-kickstarter/posts

Basically its a kickstarter for those that love mini wargames but don't want to paint and don't mind spending alot of money for a really good paint job.

Seems expensive to me..tho in all honestly I can 't imagine being good enough and fast enough to make money painting so ..its probably right in line for commissions

But incase someone would love to have a professionally painted army this might turn out to be a good deal.

That just seems like.... an odd kick starter. There reasoning for using kick starter just feels off. Old friend used to do it but would just buy the figs for ppl,paint and then ship em'for whatever they wanted.
his seems more like a service that wouldn't need overhead or much of any investment risk.

Leunam

bloodydrake, that is a damned fine mini.

I'm with you on that kickstarter, BattleMonkey. I'd take it a step further and say that it's not a service I would support through kickstarter, considering that this is a) not a particularly new idea and b) seems to be more or less exactly what they do now, except they buy the models ahead of time.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
That just seems like.... an odd kick starter. There reasoning for using kick starter just feels off.

I hear what your saying. It feels more like trying to just drum up more commitments for commissions..not really a kickstarting an actual product.

but I do think their artists do great work from their videos.

edit: Thx Leunam much appreciated

Zaptruder

Banned
new kickstarter might interest some folks.

its Blue Table Painting Turbo Army kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/751320573/blue-table-paintings-turbo-army-kickstarter/posts

Basically its a kickstarter for those that love mini wargames but don't want to paint and don't mind spending alot of money for a really good paint job.

Seems expensive to me..tho in all honestly I can 't imagine being good enough and fast enough to make money painting so ..its probably right in line for commissions

But incase someone would love to have a professionally painted army this might turn out to be a good deal.

Yeah... this is probably the worst kickstarter I've ever seen.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That BTP kickstarter should really be taken down. The sole purpose of it is for them to fund a whole bunch of armies to paint for immediate deployment of their new "instant army" service. Sorry, but they are a known and "respected" (meh) company in that industry. This isn't a new product but rather its a new business proposal. Really shitty of them.

Buying a bunch of random armies beforehand sounds like an awful business model as well. Mini gamers are very particular with their army compositions and just a bunch of starter sets doesn't do much, plus doing many different games is likely going to leave you with tons of unwanted product that you wasted time painting up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Buying a bunch of random armies beforehand sounds like an awful business model as well. Mini gamers are very particular with their army compositions and just a bunch of starter sets doesn't do much, plus doing many different games is likely going to leave you with tons of unwanted product that you wasted time painting up.

Agreed. I'm not entirely sure what their thought process is here.

Armies must have reasonably mixed unit types.

This is there way of saying you can't build an army that plays into the crazy 40k meta. Example being a drop pod heavy Salamander Marine squad (I think they're the ones that get crazy pod bonuses).

I don't know why, but this Kickstarter REALLY bothers me, haha.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ya seems to be really rubbin people the wrong way,
I'm not nearly as offended by it as others, just couldn't see it being worthwhile personally.

but maybe if this kickstarter crashes and burns it will be good for the community to see what isn't considered a respectable/worthwhile kickstarter idea.

I know there has been a couple boardgame kickstarters that really stirred up the ire of the fanbase, and the blatant rip off of Reapers Bones video one was pretty sad as well.

You know what pisses me off? I have every reason to just buy Forgeworld recasts instead of the real thing except for the whole counterfit aspect. They're cheaper and are based off of good casts from FW instead of the screwed up ones that FW usually sends me.

I eventually stopped trying to get usable grav chutes from FW, otherwise they'd be on the models I've shown. I have no plans to buy any knockoffs, but I haven't seen any for grav chutes anyway. If they were out there I can't honestly guarantee that I wouldn't buy them.

You know what pisses me off? I have every reason to just buy Forgeworld recasts instead of the real thing except for the whole counterfit aspect. They're cheaper and are based off of good casts from FW instead of the screwed up ones that FW usually sends me.

I eventually stopped trying to get usable grav chutes from FW, otherwise they'd be on the models I've shown. I have no plans to buy any knockoffs, but I haven't seen any for grav chutes anyway. If they were out there I can't honestly guarantee that I wouldn't buy them.

Yea some local guy had bought a bunch of chinese made recasts of FW and brought them into the local store (yea he didn't let the owner know what he had). The quality of the resin was not the greatest at times, and many had tons of excess material, but overall they were surprisingly good and sadly seemed better than GW's own Finecast quality. And how cheap he got it all.....

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm entertaining an airbrush setup for Gunpla painting (plastic Gundam model kits). Anyone have experience with affordable options for setups for modeling purposes?

40kGAF,
Anyone bought the digital codexes? Worth it over the dead tree version?

They are nice looking from what Ive seen, buy pricey. I would only get them if you really want digital formatted books. I always prefer having a physical rulebook with me but the digital ones can be useful for some quick access/search functionality.

I'm entertaining an airbrush setup for Gunpla painting (plastic Gundam model kits). Anyone have experience with affordable options for setups for modeling purposes?

I've had success with the cheapo GW airbrush set up. It's very cheap and not the greatest thing, but for simple base coating and quick brush jobs it works well enough.

daedalius

Hey guys,
I've got some art coming in the next issue of No Quarter, I think it will be the next issue anyway.

Will try to show when its done.

Also a cover for a wargame that is under NDA :)

thats awesome Daedalius do you know what the issue number is going to be? I'll make sure to pick up a copy

I'll post when I do ;)

Leunam

Space Raptors look neat. Might buy a couple for kicks.

Those rings are also pretty cool. My friends, who collect quirky die, would like something like that.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
first pic of the Cthulhu green WIP.
image-174013-full.jpg

Man thats looking fantastic for a 10dollar addon.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to try and figure out a way to mount that on a home made r'lyeh Dice tower.

Good colors. The boots have two distinct components. Maybe try two different shades of brown?
Spats? lol. Yah it's something I'll think about.

Here's an outside shot I just took. The problem with the colors I try is that they look good in some light and not so good in other. The greyish-brown I'm using for fatigues (P3 trollblood highlight) is something I'm trying to keep the "urban" theme while moving away from just cool greys. I also went with Eshin Grey for the armor instead of the lighter adeptus Battlegrey from the last page. I think this looks more realistic and better for the real colors of an urban environment. The only problem is sometimes it seems too dark and muddled depending on the light. I am also having difficulty getting a good highlight for it. I've thought about using straight-up khaki for the fatigues instead of Trollblood Highlight but it just doesn't feel right.

Edit: forgot pic

For grays I've often just used little bits of white dry brush for highlights. Up close it can look sloppy but for tabletop it helps to be more noticeable with the brighter color

yamo

Just finished painting my first miniatures (Talisman board game minis). I posted it in this thread instead of the board game thread as it is more centered around painting.

I've used the army painter strong tone dip on the wizard, while the troll is just painted with some layering. I actually think the wizard look better in the photo than in reality, I kinda think it looks a bit to muddy with the dip. Can't decide if I should dip the troll aswell...

Just finished painting my first miniatures (Talisman board game minis). I posted it in this thread instead of the board game thread as it is more centered around painting.

I've used the army painter strong tone dip on the wizard, while the troll is just painted with some layering. I actually think the wizard look better in the photo than in reality, I kinda think it looks a bit to muddy with the dip. Can't decide if I should dip the troll aswell...

Great first choice minis. I have all the Talisman and expansion minis to paint eventually as well. For as kind of crappy as the minis are, I think you did a wonderful job. When you eventually move on and purchase some high quality minis, you'll appreciate them that much more.

yamo

Great first choice minis. I have all the Talisman and expansion minis to paint eventually as well. For as kind of crappy as the minis are, I think you did a wonderful job. When you eventually move on and purchase some high quality minis, you'll appreciate them that much more.

Thanks! The next game with minis I plan to buy is Descent Second Edition, hopefully the minis are a bit larger than the Talisman ones! :)

Make sure to clean up as much of the dip off as you can. Their tutorial vids on the dipping where you just shake it off can often not be enough. Using a brush or bits of paper towel I like to go around the post dipped fig and quickly try to absorb off any areas that look like it has too much or dip that probably shouldn't be where it puddled.

Thanks! The next game with minis I plan to buy is Descent Second Edition, hopefully the minis are a bit larger than the Talisman ones! :)

They are. And much more detailed as well. If all my painting stuff wasn't packed away for an upcoming move, I would join you in painting the Descent 2 minis! That would actually be kind of fun to see how differently we approached each figure.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

I like the wizard, but i know exactly what your talking about.
Quickshade does dim down your colors. You'll have to paint everything abit brighter then you want for the colors to come out right after you dip.

dipping is definitely divisive seems as many dislike its effects as like it.

yamo

Make sure to clean up as much of the dip off as you can. Their tutorial vids on the dipping where you just shake it off can often not be enough. Using a brush or bits of paper towel I like to go around the post dipped fig and quickly try to absorb off any areas that look like it has too much or dip that probably shouldn't be where it puddled.

I like the wizard, but i know exactly what your talking about.
Quickshade does dim down your colors. You'll have to paint everything abit brighter then you want for the colors to come out right after you dip.

dipping is definitely divisive seems as many dislike its effects as like it.

I actually applied the dip with a brush and tried to make sure it didn't pool to heavy anywhere. It still looks a bit too dirty imho.

But I got a lot of figures left to paint so I suppose i'm just going to continue and experiment to see what I like best. I will try to use some brighter colors as well, together with the dip. :)

They are. And much more detailed as well. If all my painting stuff wasn't packed away for an upcoming move, I would join you in painting the Descent 2 minis! That would actually be kind of fun to see how differently we approached each figure.

Sound like fun, but I paint way to slow to ever keep up on something like that. It has taken me over two months just to paint these two figures! :p

Sound like fun, but I paint way to slow to ever keep up on something like that. It has taken me over two months just to paint these two figures! :p

Trust me, we paint at the same speed. Once I have a project picked out I have to build the base. Total time for me to do a mini is around 4hrs which I do in one sitting but I really do not have time to do this hobby very often right now. It's been over a year since I last painted and I've been itching to get back to it. Perhaps when I am unpacked at the new house I'll make a post here and we can get a couple more people on board to all paint the same mini. Descent 2.0 minis would be a good start for me!

yamo

I got the same problem as you do, to find the time to actually sit down and paint. Although I probably spent about two evenings on each figure, so roughly 8 hours each. I'll keep an eye out in case you start on the descent figures, I just have to buy the game as well! ><

Here is a pic of my paint set-up. Never got around to post it when I received the stuff.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
lovely collection of paints! I wish I had that many shades.

I ordered all four paint sets in the Reaper kickstarter but instead of shipping in the fall, they were pushed back to the spring with the main shipments of figures.
ATM I'm still just working with mostly primary colors

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK...I found a guy on CL who is selling a Paasache D 500 compressor with a Paasache type "VL" airbrush for $100. Lightly used (compressor is the older light blue model), but the brush looks to be in fantastic condition from the pics.

Yay/nay? And would this work for miniatures?

24277BatmanGC_SG-xlg.jpg

New Clix game coming out which allows you to switch bases. Basically the figs have pegs on bottom that will let you detach the figure and attach to another clix base so that the figs can be used both for the Heroclix game as well as the new strategy boxed game system that has different ruleset. Be interesting to see if they do more like this since they have been basically recycling figures from their board game creations for the heroclix game system, but you had to buy different set of figs. Doing this they could now just put out more clix based board games and just include the alternate heroclix bases. Can see it as a good way of pushing the board game sales as well by enticing the heroclix players to pick up the games for the exclusive new figs.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
OK...I found a guy on CL who is selling a Paasache D 500 compressor with a Paasache type "VL" airbrush for $100. Lightly used (compressor is the older light blue model), but the brush looks to be in fantastic condition from the pics.

Yay/nay? And would this work for miniatures?

wish I could help, I'm at the "hmm I'd like to try an airbrush" ..but don't know anything about which ones are worth getting

Privateer Press forum has an Airbrush Resource thread tho
Might find some helpful info in it.
http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?122639-Airbrush-Resource-Thread

I just remembered something really, really stupid from my Imperial Guard codex....squad leaders can't have lasguns! :(

For various modeling reasons that you'd understand if you saw the parts, this is a pain in the ass for my Elysians. I think it's time to have faith in FW's more mainstream acceptance in the community nowadays and just build it around the Imperial Armor list.

It's not that simple though....the Imperial Armor codex says the whole squad has lasguns (including the sergeant), but then it gives you options for what your sergeant can replace his laspistol with. :/

I just remembered something really, really stupid from my Imperial Guard codex....squad leaders can't have lasguns! :(

For various modeling reasons that you'd understand if you saw the parts, this is a pain in the ass for my Elysians. I think it's time to have faith in FW's more mainstream acceptance in the community nowadays and just build it around the Imperial Armor list.

It's not that simple though....the Imperial Armor codex says the whole squad has lasguns (including the sergeant), but then it gives you options for what your sergeant can replace his laspistol with. :/

Never had issues playing my IG and the whole lasgun thing, I always just let my opponents know ahead that the whole squad has, with codex changes and models over the years so many sergeat models just don't jive with whats exactly on paper. I've never had an opponent get anal about minute details on something as small as a little weapon on a random model.

Never had issues playing my IG and the whole lasgun thing, I always just let my opponents know ahead that the whole squad has, with codex changes and models over the years so many sergeat models just don't jive with whats exactly on paper. I've never had an opponent get anal about minute details on something as small as a little weapon on a random model.
Thanks, sometimes I can lose a little perspective. :)

Top Bottom