• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

You want realism?

Adrian Beltre hit a homerun against the Yankees to have the Mariners take a 2-1 lead in the 6th.

Bottom of the sixth, Bedard is a little wild and the leadoff man gets on base. A-Rod then grounds into a double play. Argues the call and gets thrown out.

They NAILED both the whiny-ness of A-Rod and the implosion of the Yankees! Nice!!

Mrbob

:lol

Regarding the online, I thought I read an online patch is hitting soon. Here is hoping it clears out the issues but I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully Sony makes online a huge focus for MLB 10. It is still the one glaring weakness. I'm not too happy about having the same issues this year as last year, but like Mushashi said before there is so much offline content packed into this title I can't get too upset about it. I still would like it to be cleaned up. The online performance is bordering on embarrassing for such a highly polished and produced title in all other areas.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I agree, it shouldn't get clunky once you try to go online. This is not Sony's strength period. But I hope it can remain playable for me.

Wickerman

Windu said:

Add to that how the pitches coming in seem to have frame loss. They never come in completely fluidly. Usually it seems like the ball jumps at the last split second. All in all it becomes extremely difficult to judge the type of pitch and where it is headed. This is especially the case with low pitches. Low strikes look almost exactly the same as balls in the dirt. That means more strikeouts, less legit hits, and the end result is relying on the lucky home run.

The sentences in bold are my main gripes with online play. Plus, it's so tough to get opposite field hits with the lag. Whenever I got a rally going I would ground into a double play because I would swing too quickly. Every hit seems to be pulled or hit up the middle.

The low breaking pitch is almost impossible to hit, especially the curveball. I have many strikeouts on that pitch because there does not seem to be way to determine whether or not it's strike.

Everything in the article is spot-on.

Core407

Banned
Wickerman said:
The sentences in bold are my main gripes with online play. Plus, it's so tough to get opposite field hits with the lag. Whenever I got a rally going I would ground into a double play because I would swing too quickly. Every hit seems to be pulled or hit up the middle.

The low breaking pitch is almost impossible to hit, especially the curveball. I have many strikeouts on that pitch because there does not seem to be way to determine whether or not it's strike.

Everything in the article is spot-on.

You guys must have some shitty connects. Are you going into game rooms and finding challenges or just doing the quick challenge? The last 5 games I've played have been buttery smooth and a lot of the hits were down the line shots - both left and right field. Got a lot of up the middle hits too.

Wickerman

Core407 said:
You guys must have some shitty connects. Are you going into game rooms and finding challenges or just doing the quick challenge? The last 5 games I've played have been buttery smooth and a lot of the hits were down the line shots - both left and right field. Got a lot of up the middle hits too.

I've never had a problem with PSN games, only MLB 08 and MLB 09. I had one smooth game out of three today and it was an enjoyable experience.

And yes I've been using the quick game option.

Core407

Banned
Wickerman said:
I've never had a problem with PSN games, only MLB 08 and MLB 09. I had one smooth game out of three today and it was an enjoyable experience.

And yes I've been using the quick game option.

Try and going into a game room and challenging someone.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jazzy Network said:
Did you read my first post? It's happened 5 times in a row. That's not normal.

I've noticed posts where you had three straight extra inning games (which is certainly possible throughout the course of a season) and games where you let a team come back on you.

In what way is the CPU blatantly cheating on you and what part of it may lie with your play?

As a Red Sox fan for the past 25 years, I've seen just about everything that could go wrong in the course of a season and it sounds like sour grapes here. =P

Kintaro said:
I've noticed posts where you had three straight extra inning games (which is certainly possible throughout the course of a season) and games where you let a team come back on you.

In what way is the CPU blatantly cheating on you and what part of it may lie with your play?

As a Red Sox fan for the past 25 years, I've seen just about everything that could go wrong in the course of a season and it sounds like sour grapes here. =P

I was leading through 7 in all those extra inning games. And 2 other games where I led big, but all of a sudden in the ninth they score runs in bunches on pitches where werent even in the strike zone that I deliberately threw outside of the zone. This is 5 in a row no in betweens where it hasn't happened.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
TheMissingLink said:
You want realism?

Adrian Beltre hit a homerun against the Yankees to have the Mariners take a 2-1 lead in the 6th.

Bottom of the sixth, Bedard is a little wild and the leadoff man gets on base. A-Rod then grounds into a double play. Argues the call and gets thrown out.

They NAILED both the whiny-ness of A-Rod and the implosion of the Yankees! Nice!!
Yeah this game is pretty realistic. I have played three games in my franchise (braves), all on the road against the phillies. Lost all three by one run. Now that is realistic.

AZ Greg

Jazzy Network said:
Hey guess what. ANOTHER extra inning game. Hey 5-1 in the ninth. they score 4 somehow on my closer. Sweet. This will never stop.

You must be playing as the Diamondbacks. :lol :(

Mrbob

Jazzy Network said:
Hey guess what. ANOTHER extra inning game. Hey 5-1 in the ninth. they score 4 somehow on my closer. Sweet. This will never stop.

What team are you using? Your closer sucks. Worst closer ever. :p

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Has anyone used the custom chants yet? I'm thinking about going out and buying a bluetooth mic tomorrow so I can start making some.

Madden dev. chimes in on The show 09 over at operation sports, here's what he had to say

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/scea-sports-mlb/300466-true-pinnacle-sports-gaming.html

Ian_Cummings_EA Lead designer for Madden 10

"I just wanted to post over here in case the devs read this forum...

To the SCEA dev team: you guys have really set the bar as to what sports games should be. After a few of us got our hands on it, we have forced our entire Madden design team to go through the game, take notes, and come up with ideas that could apply to us - and the one universal happening has been that everyone has been 100% blown away by the detail and quality of the product. From the commentary to the animation to the graphics to the presentation to the depth...you guys knocked it out of the park (bad pun intended).

I don't want to make it look like our opinion matters more than anyone else or anything, but I did want to say - from the Madden design team - GREAT job to all those involved in making this year's game. You've set the bar extremely high for us and everyone else in this industry (which is a very good thing IMO).

- Ian

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
gluv65 said:
Madden dev. chimes in on The show 09 over at operation sports, here's what he had to say

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/scea-sports-mlb/300466-true-pinnacle-sports-gaming.html

To the SCEA dev team: you guys have really set the bar as to what sports games should be. After a few of us got our hands on it, we have forced our entire Madden design team to go through the game, take notes, and come up with ideas that could apply to us - and the one universal happening has been that everyone has been 100% blown away by the detail and quality of the product. From the commentary to the animation to the graphics to the presentation to the depth...you guys knocked it out of the park (bad pun intended).

I don't want to make it look like our opinion matters more than anyone else or anything, but I did want to say - from the Madden design team - GREAT job to all those involved in making this year's game. You've set the bar extremely high for us and everyone else in this industry (which is a very good thing IMO).

- Ian

PS - Your online lobby system, netcode, and pretty much all things related to online sucks goat balls. Cheers!
]
completed

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My RttS dude keeps on getting traded :lol
Is there a no trade option somewhere? Tired of reloading old save so I can stay on Giants lol

DenogginizerOS said:
completed

Obama has promised broadband lines to rural areas, just be patient and he'll get to your area. I'm just kidding I know I've had some good and bad experience with online as well.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
gluv65 said:
Obama has promised broadband lines to rural areas, just be patient and he'll get to your area. I'm just kidding I know I've had some good and bad experience with online as well.
I believe it was 1999 when I could first sort people in a lobby by their connection quality. 1999!!!

Wickerman

gluv65 said:

- Ian

Very cool

anddo0

I'm finally getting a hang of hitting. I beat the Royals 18-4 using the Yankees, racking up 28 hits in the process (9 run second inning, Cano hit a grand slam) CC threw a complete game, and it wasn't for Jeter missing two easy ground balls I would've had a shootout. Damon went 6 for 6 including 4 doubles (all to right field, in fact all his hits where hit to the gap in right).. LOL@ A-Roids for striking out 4 times, he didn't even make contact until we were well ahead (he finished 1-6 with an rbi)

0305092335.jpg

Kintaro

Complete a year into my RTTS guy's AA career and being a fielder is quite rough. You just don't get enough points for doing well to offset if you mess up. There is also a crapton of stats to keep up with along with the objectives and it's a major uphill climb compared to being a RTTS pitcher. =/

Anyone pick up any good sliders yet?

Saiyu

Man I don't get how NHL can play so well 4 v 4 or whatever and this is stuttering all over the place. Why they haven't changed the mic select button and given us the options for different camera angles online is beyond me too.

Yeah I'm from Europe, but that's hardly an excuse for the outdated online, especially compared to other sports games.

Kintaro said:
Complete a year into my RTTS guy's AA career and being a fielder is quite rough. You just don't get enough points for doing well to offset if you mess up. There is also a crapton of stats to keep up with along with the objectives and it's a major uphill climb compared to being a RTTS pitcher. =/

Anyone pick up any good sliders yet?

That's why I like RTTS as a fielder. In 06 I made it to the bigs really quickly but I have yet to spend quality time up there in 08. I can't wait to get 09 and really get into again and work my way up. I don't like it when I can practically go straight to the MLB level and not feel like I earned it.

I started my franchise Wednesday after not playing since Oct. My swing timing is SOOOOO screwed up. First 2 games I was lucky to make contact with the ball. (But I'm also playing spring training against Nat League teams with nasty pitching)

Was able to snag Manny, Ben Sheets and Adam Dunn off free agency to make the Indians a MUCH better team.

Time to play to take my Tribe to the series!

Kintaro

MotorbreathX said:
That's why I like RTTS as a fielder. In 06 I made it to the bigs really quickly but I have yet to spend quality time up there in 08. I can't wait to get 09 and really get into again and work my way up. I don't like it when I can practically go straight to the MLB level and not feel like I earned it.

There's both a good and bad side to this. It's good you have to work your way up but it's bad because if there's not enough progress, you get completely burned out before you even make it.

Kintaro said:
There's both a good and bad side to this. It's good you have to work your way up but it's bad because if there's not enough progress, you get completely burned out before you even make it.

I've had that happen. I had to lower the difficulty a bit to make sure I didn't get too far behind on the points, but overall I have a lot of fun with it. My biggest thing is that I absolulety hate pitching. While it's fun to do when playing with someone else, it's just too slow for me.

shpankey

not an idiot
Just want to drop back in and say, the option in the game to play music through the ballpark soundsystem is f'n amazing. It even looks at your PS3 hard drive for music and allows you to add it all (basically, ie: built in custom soundtracks). Something about playing Too $hort and Metallica through the ballpark system, with the reverb on, is both funny as hell and amazing. The implementation is incredible. You still hear the crowd, sound effects and the PA announcer, and it has options to adjust each one individually. Every sports game should include this option from now on! So fucking awesome. :) Man, I wish NHL 09 did this. :( Madden team, steal this idea please!

Sliders: damn, I'm still struggling to get working sliders. I thought I had them set fairly good, but after more games of play for testing, it became obvious what I had was not where I needed it to be. Anyone have a good set of sliders? I'm about to reset and start tweaking anew b/c since the sliders are all so interconnected, you can tweak yourself right into a mess, if not careful, and I may have done that. Still missing last years sliders, some of this stuff would be so easily correctable.

Returners

shpankey said:
Just want to drop back in and say, the option in the game to play music through the ballpark soundsystem is f'n amazing. It even looks at your PS3 hard drive for music and allows you to add it all (basically, ie: built in custom soundtracks). Something about playing Too $hort and Metallica through the ballpark system, with the reverb on, is both funny as hell and amazing. The implementation is incredible. You still hear the crowd, sound effects and the PA announcer, and it has options to adjust each one individually. Every sports game should include this option from now on! So fucking awesome. :) Man, I wish NHL 09 did this. :( Madden team, steal this idea please!

Sliders: damn, I'm still struggling to get working sliders. I thought I had them set fairly good, but after more games of play for testing, it became obvious what I had was not where I needed it to be. Anyone have a good set of sliders? I'm about to reset and start tweaking anew b/c since the sliders are all so interconnected, you can tweak yourself right into a mess, if not careful, and I may have done that. Still missing last years sliders, some of this stuff would be so easily correctable.

I got Rick Roll and the whole Incredibad album on there, its pretty damm hilarious.

shpankey

not an idiot
I play The Show 08 on my PSP still, it pays a damn accurate game once tweaked, and I'd stay with it, except on my PSP 3000 the graphics look extremely pale and unsaturated. I think this has something to do with the new screen on the 3000 b/c certain old games look that way, while others, especially new games, are MORE saturated on it.

Does anyone know if The Show 09 on PSP fixes that? I figure they probably do since it came out after the PSP 3000 the devs had time to make it look right on the colors. If so I'll get it for that reason alone. Though I hope I can tweak it to play as accurately as 08. Anyone know if the knixed the PSP sliders too?

This is easily the best looking sports game ever. It's also crazy fun. My tricked out Mariners just got beat by the Cubs. I say tricked out because my new lineup now includes Manny at left, me (max out) at short stop, and Lincecum as the number one starter. Some pictures of said game.

3333416752_eedd720783_o.png

3333416922_f5c3086480_o.png

3332579783_a9f1b8af56_o.png

3333416562_47f1da5622_o.png

3333415948_581d6e1ab7_o.png

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
I dont' understand why I can't play on line!

I pres botton on Play, appear "serching for players..." but nothing, no one!

The same thing if i go on created lobby...

why?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Just wanted to drop in my impressions. I tried to play it the first night and couldn't hit the ball for anything. I was always too early. Last night things kind of clicked, I hit two HRs in the game, that I lost in extra innings. But I will am having a hard time with the batting.

I am getting the pitching down, though at times I have lapses in concentration that result in pitches in the dirt or hitting a batter.

The game is outstanding though. So many little touches. Like automatic visits to the mound, replays of what a batter did the last time he was up, chants, crowd noise. This seriously is the early contender for sports game of the year.

Once I get all the controls down, I am sure I will like the game even more.

shpankey

not an idiot
dskillzhtown said:
Just wanted to drop in my impressions. I tried to play it the first night and couldn't hit the ball for anything. I was always too early. Last night things kind of clicked, I hit two HRs in the game, that I lost in extra innings. But I will am having a hard time with the batting.

I am getting the pitching down, though at times I have lapses in concentration that result in pitches in the dirt or hitting a batter.

The game is outstanding though. So many little touches. Like automatic visits to the mound, replays of what a batter did the last time he was up, chants, crowd noise. This seriously is the early contender for sports game of the year.

Once I get all the controls down, I am sure I will like the game even more.
Pitch Speed: two clicks to the left.

A lot of slider people agree on that setting, myself included. I also raise Contact one click to the right. You might also go one click to the right on Timing, though that's up to you.

Hitting is pretty much dead on for me now.

Kingpen

My weekend plans feel through, so I think I am going to blind buy this and Halo Wars this weekend to treat myself...

I have not played a baseball game since Bases Loaded on the NES.... I'm looking forward to it to get my interest up for co-ed softball season this spring.

Top Bottom