• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

RBH

With all those lofts and apartments in Atlantic Station going bust during '08, I'm surprised this is getting much support. Atlantans just don't like living inside the perimeter beyond Lenox, apparently - at least until the public transportation infrastructure gets built in the next decade.

I just want to be able to ride Marta to and from turner without having to get off and walk through underground Atlanta to get on a bus.

It'll be another decade once that Federal block money comes through.

I'm still pissed off at Fulton County for not even considering the Doraville plant site as a football stadium area. That would've been absolutely perfect from a traffic standpoint with Spaghetti Junction right there. It would help solve that massive gap from Sandy Springs to Perimeter.

Meanwhile everybody is moving further and further northeast because heaven help the white suburbanites if there's some diversity in their counties.
Whoever is responsible for the public transportation system in Atlanta and the way that it's been set up over the years needs to be dropkicked in the face.

Talon

Whoever is responsible for the public transportation system in Atlanta and the way that it's set up needs to be dropkicked in the face.
1994: State considers using Olympic money to set up a high speed rail from Marietta and the northeast suburbs to Atlanta.

"Oh dear God, what about the...people downtown?"

Nuked.

2011: State considers using a 1% marginal sales tax hike to build out public transportation around the perimeter.

Nuked.

2012: Federal Government says, "Fuck you, Rick Scott." after the Governor refuses to take stimulus funds that the state had spent 11 years to secure (which started with a public vote to approve high speed rails between the five major cities back in 2000). This when the state is, of course, in financial straits.

Federal government distributes the roughly $2 billion to 15 different states - with Georgia getting a big chunk of change to build out public transportation.

Tune in next year...to see the Georgia State Congress shit itself yet again! At least Chicago gets shit done eventually after every alderman gets paid.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i'd probably part with Venters since he is arb eligible this season and Waldon has a year to go. And I guess Gattis could be part of the deal since he wouldn't have anywhere to play.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Nooo, not Gearrin.
MA4iu.png

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah Jack Z is basically Dayton Moore with credibility for some reason.

Mariners have put up 3 of the most historically putrid offenses all back to back to back.

But Jason Bay will solve everything.

He's the scout that recommended Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, and just about every other young player to the Brewers that turned out to be a hit.

Now as a GM, almost everything he's touched with the Mariners has been a bust.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Anyone read this yet? Really really long article on SBNation:

Bonds played by the rules - How baseball insiders are punishing players for the steroid culture they helped create

Hold accountable those who created the incentives Bonds exploited.

If you avert your head from the truth, you are aware that there is something you do not want to know. If some among of the 63.8 percent closed their eyes because they did not want their illusions dashed and their stories ruined, it’s too late now to blame players. Hall of Fame voters are not the jury of the impartial. They were the cheerleaders of the steroid era.

1994: State considers using Olympic money to set up a high speed rail from Marietta and the northeast suburbs to Atlanta.

Nuked.

2011: State considers using a 1% marginal sales tax hike to build out public transportation around the perimeter.

Nuked.

2012: Federal Government says, "Fuck you, Rick Scott." after the Governor refuses to take stimulus funds that the state had spent 11 years to secure (which started with a public vote to approve high speed rails between the five major cities back in 2000). This when the state is, of course, in financial straits.

Federal government distributes the roughly $2 billion to 15 different states - with Georgia getting a big chunk of change to build out public transportation.

Tune in next year...to see the Georgia State Congress shit itself yet again! At least Chicago gets shit done eventually after every alderman gets paid.

Sounds like Georgians haven't really changed their stance on public transportation after 40 years.

Talon

Sounds like Georgians haven't really changed their stance on public transportation after 40 years.
The local joke is that MARTA stands for Moving African-americans Rapidly Through Atlanta.

I shit you not. This inspite of the fact that a decent amount of Alpharetta-ites actually use MARTA to commute to work.

bluemax

Banned

Mariners have put up 3 of the most historically putrid offenses all back to back to back.

That's silly. He was trading a bunch of prospects for a guy who was an MVP candidate 2 years ago. The bust rate of pitching prospects suggests that its more likely that NONE of those guys is ever good at the major league level than one of them ever being a star.

Friggz

That's silly. He was trading a bunch of prospects for a guy who was an MVP candidate 2 years ago. The bust rate of pitching prospects suggests that its more likely that NONE of those guys is ever good at the major league level than one of them ever being a star.

this, you are trading unknowns for a bonafide star who expects to get better as he hits his prime.

Macattk15

you wouldnt do that deal for a 25 year old all star?

Now that Taijuan Walker was definitely the final piece ... no fucking way. I (like many pro scouts) have high hopes for Taijuan Walker.

Justin Upton is no sure thing. All the potential in the world yes, but he has been pretty inconsistent in his career.

If it was Stanton? Hell yeah I'd do it ... and probably be ok with throwing Hultzen in the deal as well.

Why do you blame Jack Z for Bill Bavasi destroying our system?

Yeah Smoak hasn't panned out ... but we got Cliff Lee for peanuts and flipped him for Smoak and John Jaso.

He traded JJ Putz + garbage for Franklin Gutierrez (who put up 6.2 WAR in his 1st season in Seattle but was derailed by injuries .. yeah shit happens) / Jason Vargas (serviceable while in Seattle, who was flipped in the last year of his contract for the final year of Kendry Morales contract).

Obtained Montero for Pineda who he sold high on. Pineda may never be the same ... who knows how Campos will turn out, Montero is only 22.

Obtained Brendan Ryan (while his offense is putrid, he stills puts up 3+ WAR both seasons in Seattle so far) for a garbage A Ball reliever in Maikel Cleto (who?)

Drafted Ackley and Seager .... Seager is holding his own with potential to improve and I really don't think Ackley will be a complete bust.

And now he has been responsible for putting together one of the best minor league systems in the MLB.

The ONLY thing I am mad about is the signing of Chone Figgins ... but good god I never saw a collapse of that level coming.

Comparing Jack Z to Dayton Moore is an insult and you sir are retarded. It isn't his fault that highly touted prospects have not lived up to their potential.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Major league results matter.

Mariners offense has been historically awful. 3 straight years of a team OBP under .300

The last team in baseball before the 2010/2011/2012 Mariners to do that -once- were the Braves in 1989.

Macattk15

Major league results matter.

Mariners offense has been historically awful. 3 straight years of a team OBP under .300

The last team in baseball before the 2010/2011/2012 Mariners to do that -once- were the Braves in 1989.

Congrats. Shit happens. It isn't Jack Z's fault (besides Figgins). Players have to play.

You're placing the blame in the wrong area.

The M's wouldn't be in the same situation if Adam Jones was their LF'er with a healthy Guti in CF (shit happens) and Chris Tillman (though he just pitched to his potential last year) was in the rotation. Fuck you Bavasi.

We're done talking about the HOF right? Thank god...

Z might not be a bad GM, but the notion that he's a great one is a couple of years stale. In this realm of baseball writing/fandom, agreeing with someone seems to imply that he's really great. I was under the same kind of thinking a few years ago, but the constant poor results have left me thinking that he's really a mixed bag. Don't think he's awful just yet, but not the OMFGAMAZEBALLS GM that people used to.

Yes. He isn't a savior or anything great ... but he also isn't bad or Dayton Moore.

Doytch

We're done talking about the HOF right? Thank god...

Z might not be a bad GM, but the notion that he's a great one is a couple of years stale. In this realm of baseball writing/fandom, agreeing with someone seems to imply that he's really great. I was under the same kind of thinking a few years ago, but the constant poor results have left me thinking that he's really a mixed bag. Don't think he's awful just yet, but not the OMFGAMAZEBALLS GM that people used to.

And re:Smoak, there isn't a soul out there who thought he'd be this bad. He was as close you get to a sure thing as possible according to all the prospect writers I saw.

Friggz

Congrats. Shit happens. It isn't Jack Z's fault (besides Figgins). Players have to play.

You're placing the blame in the wrong area.

The M's wouldn't be in the same situation if Adam Jones was their LF'er with a healthy Guti in CF (shit happens) and Chris Tillman (though he just pitched to his potential last year) was in the rotation. Fuck you Bavasi.

Yes. He isn't a savior or anything great ... but he also isn't bad or Dayton Moore.

Gutiérrez wasnt a good offensive player even when he was healthy, and who knows what kind of numbers jones puts up if he played half of his games in that stadium. Moving in the walls this year should help a little bit as well as another year of maturity from montero and ackley.

SMoak is toast.

Macattk15

Gutiérrez wasnt a good offensive player even when he was healthy, and who knows what kind of numbers jones puts up if he played half of his games in that stadium. Moving in the walls this year should help a little bit as well as another year of maturity from montero and ackley.

SMoak is toast.

I never said Gutierrez was an offensive monster. In 09 he was a tiny bit better than league average OPS+ wise ... same with his shortened 2012.

If he can do that while providing his elite level of CF defense ... then he ends up with 5-6 WAR like he did in 2009.

Course defensive WAR is weird and hard to judge ... but a healthy Franklin ends up being a less speedy, more power Michael Bourn.

Who the hell wouldn't want that on their team?

I had a dream in which the Yankees swooped in on Justin Upton and gave me something to talk about in this thread...and then I woke up disappointed.

I can't wait for spring training. :(

Top Bottom