• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lol Yankees need to get their farm in order again

Why not trim some spending and make the front office look for youth?

Once they get a new core in place pretty sure they will open the coffers

Friggz

lol Yankees need to get their farm in order again

Why not trim some spending and make the front office look for youth?

Once they get a new core in place pretty sure they will open the coffers

Yankees have a farm system that was recently ranked 11th by Baseball America preliminary rankings. And if the farm has a good year, they are going to be top 8.

Not too many farms can boast a quartet of Heathcott, Sanchez, Austin and Williams. The only thing hurting them is talent at AAA and big league ready arms. Most of their propspects are probably a year or 2 away from being serious trade bait or helping the parent club.

But those werent witch hunts. People didnt just say Bonds got big he must be doping. There were reports, and didnt Bonds' trainer get busted? You have heard the saying "where there is smoke there is fire" before? This is an important issue to people and they have every right to say that we dont want cheaters get any additional recognition if there is real evidence that they cheated. I would vote for Bagwell since he wasnt named in any reports but no fucking way would I ever vote for Sammy, Roger, or Barry.

how did they cheat?

Steinbrenner confirmed today that the yankees goal of reaching 189million isnt just going to be for next year.
Talk about a slap in the face to the fans. I think they should consider selling the team.

if they are doing a youth movement, then count me in!

i understand that, but that means pocketing the insane amount of money this team makes and pissing the fans off in the process.

They just opened a new stadium, they will be receiving hundreds of millions of dollars from their YES Network deal with News Corp. and all the extra cash they’ll receive from MLB’s new national broadcast agreements. Not to mention the money they make globally. I can somewhat understand doing it for the 2014 season for the luxury tax. But holding back going foward? I wont fly with this fan base.

it will fly witht eh fan base that knows you can't win just on free agency alone.

I'm not sure I agree, and this is coming from a dedicated stats-head who gets in to enormous trouble with Sports-GAF for being too rational.

First, the hall specifically has a "character clause," which states that they induct people with "integrity and character." It's literally written in to their decision making process.

And the response would be, "yes, but that sucks," and I would strongly disagree. These people are entertainers, first and foremost. That is their job. And I most definitely find myself less enthusiastic about rooting for jerks, even if they happen to be on my team of choice.

character clause is for on the field behavior thought. isn't it?
guys have multiple affairs, took drugs, beat people up, still voted into the hall of fame.

Friggz

Cano's salary will probably only go up about 5M if they extend him (15M in 2013) and Jeter's salary goes down 9M from 2013 to 2014 so I'm sure they can swing it.

I would expect an even bigger jump than 5 million. Yankees should have extended him for 6 years 120 million 2 years ago before he went into complete beast mode.

hes probably going to want/get 23-25 million a year.
Hes a top 5 player in baseball at a premium position.

Friggz

how did they cheat?

if they are doing a youth movement, then count me in!

it will fly witht eh fan base that knows you can't win just on free agency alone.

guys have multiple affairs, took drugs, beat people up, still voted into the hall of fame.

most polls ive seen (unofficial of course) have a majority of the fan base not being very confident in the teams future with the way its currently constructed. And players are becoming more and more expensive.

most polls ive seen (unofficial of course) have a majority of the fan base not being very confident in the teams future with the way its currently constructed. And players are becoming more and more expensive.

all the more reason to rebuild the farm. the farm might be ranked 11th but the results for the big team are not showing up.

Fenix

I would expect an even bigger jump than 5 million. Yankees should have extended him for 6 years 120 million 2 years ago before he went into complete beast mode.

hes probably going to want/get 23-25 million a year.
Hes a top 5 player in baseball at a premium position.
I'd imagine an extension would be at that rate, but probably backloaded a bit, so I'd think he makes 20-21 in 2014.

Opiate

That isn't specified, and certainly isn't being interpreted that way.

And I'm saying maybe they shouldn't be. If we made HoF selection mistakes in the past, it doesn't mean we should keep making them. You'd have to convince me that it's appropriate to put cheaters and abusers in the Hall of Fame. Again, personally, I'm less entertained by jerks, and baseball players are entertainers just like Lady Gaga.

Friggz

I'd imagine an extension would be at that rate, but probably backloaded a bit, so I'd think he makes 20-21 in 2014.

yeah, but its the AAV that counts towards the luxury tax. Not the yearly salary. That would have been a nice way to get around it =)

RBH

The Diamondbacks were in agreement on a trade that would have sent Justin Upton to the Seattle Mariners, but the two-time All-Star rejected the proposed deal, major-league sources say.

The Mariners are one of four clubs on Upton’s no-trade list, according to sources. At least two other teams, the Texas Rangers and Atlanta Braves, also are pursuing him.

The D-Backs would have received a package of young talent from the Mariners, sources say, but the identity of the other players in the trade is not known.

Upton's rejection of the Mariners could be an attempt by him to leverage the Diamondbacks into sending him to a more preferred destination. The D-Backs, meanwhile, could be telling Upton that Seattle is his only option if he wants to leave Arizona, and for that reason it’s always possible that a deal could revive.

Upton, 25, is under contract for $38.5 million over the next three years. He has been the subject of repeated trade discussions almost since the moment that Kevin Towers became the Arizona GM in the fall of 2010.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...angers-atlanta-braves-still-interested-011013

RBH

If developers, Atlanta officials and the city’s Major League Baseball team have their way, the dreary swath of parking lots north of Turner Field could one day become a hot intown neighborhood of broad parks, hip restaurants and cool cribs.

Four development teams have pitched their visions for the area around the Braves’ stadium, a lackluster stretch passed by hundreds of thousands of commuters each day and seen by tens of thousands of fans before 81 regular-season home games each baseball season.

The area has seen its chances at redevelopment rise and fall for decades with little to show for it. And the latest request for ideas is simply a starting point — developers’ dreams and proposals for how funding might happen that could one day shape a master plan or formal proposal process.

The city’s economic development arm, Invest Atlanta, sent out a request for ideas for how developers might transform 55 acres of land north of the ballpark into a mixed-use sports and entertainment district with year-round activity.

At the request of Invest Atlanta — which has a mission to fuel economic progress, help startup businesses, issue bonds for development and cultivate homeownership — each of the Turner Field proposals contains expansion of the downtown streetcar or other transit links, parking decks with at least 10,000 spaces, and a design theme to honor Hank Aaron’s home run record and the history of the Braves.

Development in the area has failed to gain traction, and an amusement zone called FanPlex withered and died outside the stadium nearly a decade ago. The area has a tax allocation district that as of late last year had about $400,000 in available funds.

The idea phase for the Turner Field area comes as the Atlanta Falcons negotiate for a new domed stadium and a few years before the Braves’ lease on the ballpark is up.

“Some ideas were thrown around and I think we’re in a great place coming out of a recession to start this exercise,” said Tyrone Rachal, the managing director of redevelopment for Invest Atlanta.

01_turner_field.JPG

02_turner_field.JPG

Team: Joseph Flournoy

Who he is: Atlanta architect

The pitch: A broad swath of parks and tourist attractions, including an observation Ferris wheel similar to the famed London Eye. The site of the former Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium would become a park with reflecting pools, and the remainder of the project would include an exhibit hall, gymnasium and recreation center, an “interactive” park with art, a hotel, shopping and residential districts, and a sports complex for batting cages and other activities.

05_turner_field.JPG

04_turner_field.JPG

Team: Cleveland-based Forest City Enterprises, Atlanta-based Cooper Carry and Kimley-Horn and Associates

Who they are: Forest City is famed for mega mixed-use developments such as The Yards in Washington, D.C. The company is also part of the team planning for a downtown Atlanta multimodal transit station in “the Gulch” near the CNN Center. The Cooper Carry architecture firm is the team behind Lindbergh City Center and 10 Terminus Place. Kimley-Horn is a noted engineering and environmental firm.

The pitch: a plaza in homage to the Braves and slugger Hank Aaron and an expansive development including streetcar and other transit links, 809 multifamily housing units, 720 student housing units and 52 town homes; nearly 200,000 square feet of street-front retail, office space, a hotel and hints at a multipurpose stadium for perhaps pro soccer or Georgia State football.

09_turner_field.JPG

06_turner_field.JPG

Team: Atlanta-based E.W. Bowen & Co., Cascade Building Systems, et al.

Who they are: E.W. Bowen principal Edward Bowen Jr. has experience in development of the Atlanta City Courts, the Sam Nunn Federal Building and mixed-income neighborhood development.

The pitch: The team could add 17 acres to the development and link it to historic Summerhill. The concept includes a park at the site of the former Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, more than 3,500 residential units, more than 450,000 square feet of retail.

03_turner_field.JPG

The team: North American Properties and Atlanta-based Russell New Urban Development, et al.

Who they are: North American Properties is the owner of the Atlantic Station town center and developer of Avalon in Alpharetta; Russell New Urban, part of the H.J. Russell Co., is the developer of Central Park Lofts and The Washington at Historic Westside Village.

The pitch: A $400 million combination of 1,000 apartments and lofts, 80 town homes, 250,000 square feet of retail, 400,000 square feet of offices for organizations such as startups and nonprofits, and a hotel. The plan would create a network of walkable streets, convert the site of the former Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium into Hank Aaron Park with a plaza south to Turner Field.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/visions-pitched-for-turner-field-parking-lots/nTsPT/

Sanjuro

#Mariners, #bluejays, #redsox and #cubs are the 4 teams on Upton's no-trade list. This deal was never gonna work.

Eat shit Fuckton.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Justin Upton rejects Mariners deal, still could be short-timer in Arizona
By Scott Miller | Senior Baseball Columnist
January 10, 2013 8:13 pm ET

The deal would have sent three or four players back to Arizona, according to CBSSports.com sources. Included among those players would have been relievers Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor, minor-league shortstop Nick Franklin and, likely, one of three minor-league starting pitching prospects: Right-hander Taijuan Walker, lefty James Paxton or lefty Danny Hultzen.

Wait, that's it? Delgado+Nick Ahmed+EOF+trash

GET ER DONE, WREN

Macattk15

Fuck you Justin!

Didn't want you for that price anyway ... if that last person was Walker anyway.

Like Arizona has any better of a chance of being good when they trade players like Bauer for Didi Gregorious.

rando14

Justin Upton rejects Mariners deal, still could be short-timer in Arizona
By Scott Miller | Senior Baseball Columnist
January 10, 2013 8:13 pm ET

The deal would have sent three or four players back to Arizona, according to CBSSports.com sources. Included among those players would have been relievers Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor, minor-league shortstop Nick Franklin and, likely, one of three minor-league starting pitching prospects: Right-hander Taijuan Walker, lefty James Paxton or lefty Danny Hultzen.

FUCK that deal. Stay out, Justin.

Welcome to Earf, the Mariners suck.

Jason Bay gonna lead the M's to .500! 8^)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Wait, that's it? Delgado+Nick Ahmed+EOF+trash

GET ER DONE, WREN
5) Nick Franklin SS, Grade B+: I trust my eyes on this one, good tools across the board and the skills are in there. Is he a second baseman or a shortstop? I'd give him a chance at short. Needs another half-season in Triple-A following .243/.310/.416 line at Tacoma
2) Taijuan Walker, RHP, Grade A-: Some slippage in his numbers, but that's forgivable for the youngest pitcher in the Double-A Southern League. Still has premium combination of fastball, breaking stuff, developing changeup, high upside.
3) Danny Hultzen, LHP, Grade B+: I will be honest, I am not comfortable with Hultzen's grade or his placement here and may revise it significantly before the book goes to press. I think it is a mistake to dismiss his Triple-A struggles too cavalierly. His command was just too poor at that level for us to ignore, especially given his past reputation and track record. I'm nosing around about this one and gathering more info and opinion, so stand by.
4) James Paxton, LHP, Grade B+: He still has occasional command troubles but the stuff is first class, love the 92-95 fastball and big-breaking curve. Number two starter upside. Very good season in Double-A (3.05 ERA, 110/54 K/BB in 106 innings).
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/1/5/3838474/seattle-mariners-top-20-prospects-for-2013

yeah that deal from the braves might be fair. maybe add another arm because of the cost associated and short years with EOF though.

Windu

keith law top 25 MLB players under the age of 25

1. Mike Trout
  2. Bryce Harper
  3. Jason Heyward
  4. Giancarlo Stanton
  5. Stephen Strasburg
  6. Clayton Kershaw
  7. Manny Machado
  8. Starlin Castro
  9. Madison Bumgarner
  10. Elvis Andrus
  11. Brett Lawrie
  12. Salvedor Perez
  13. Aroldis Chapman
  14. Matt Moore
  15. Jarrod Parker
  16. Chris Sale
  17. Matt Harvey
  18. Anthony Rizzo
  19. Freddie Freeman
  20. Yasmoni Grandal
  21. Andrelton Simmons
  22. Will Middlebrooks
  23. Craig Kimbrel
  24. Eric Hosmer
  25. Chris Tillman

Talon

Atlanta development plans
With all those lofts and apartments in Atlantic Station going bust during '08, I'm surprised this is getting much support. Atlantans just don't like living inside the perimeter beyond Lenox, apparently - at least until the public transportation infrastructure gets built in the next decade.

Windu

I just want to be able to ride Marta to and from turner without having to get off and walk through underground Atlanta to get on a bus.

Talon

I just want to be able to ride Marta to and from turner without having to get off and walk through underground Atlanta to get on a bus.
It'll be another decade once that Federal block money comes through.

I'm still pissed off at Fulton County for not even considering the Doraville plant site as a football stadium area. That would've been absolutely perfect from a traffic standpoint with Spaghetti Junction right there. It would help solve that massive gap from Sandy Springs to Perimeter.

Meanwhile everybody is moving further and further northeast because heaven help the white suburbanites if there's some diversity in their counties.

Top Bottom