• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

eznark

Banned
Got info from Mets email.

Register today! Conference registration is available now at the SABR Store. Click here to register. The conference is open to all baseball fans.

Early registration rates: — Adults: $450; includes one-year membership to SABR. — Students: $350; includes one-year membership to SABR. Must be a currently enrolled high school or college student. If you would like to register at the student rate, please contact Deb Jayne. — SABR members: $350. If you are not a SABR member, click here to join.

Please note the early registration rate will expire soon. The full registration rate is $595. Register today at the SABR Store!

Hotel: SABR has secured a special conference rate of $149/night (plus tax) at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown, 340 North 3rd Street in Phoenix, just blocks away from Chase Field. Click here to book your room online or call (602) 262-2500 and tell them you're registering for the SABR Analytics Conference. Please note: The group rate is only available on the nights of March 6 through March 10; the hotel is completely sold out prior to March 6. Our room block available until February 13, 2013, or until our room block runs out so book your reservation today! The hotel's website is www.sheratonphoenixdowntown.com.

Thanks! We rented a house in AZ for a couple weeks every year and this is the first time it overlaps. Might finally go.

Sharp

When you look at the issues Washington had in their pen, overpaying for Soriano is a good move. Their rotation is stacked, their lineup may get better with age and fixing the CP means you can now put other guys to setup.
The thing is, Washington didn't really have huge issues with its bullpen. Storen isn't that great but his well-publicized meltdown last year wasn't exactly routine. I do agree with you that most of them had career years last year that they weren't going to repeat, so I suppose this is at least a justifiable move for them. I just hate paying this kind of money (and a pick!) to any reliever not named Mariano.

jakncoke

Banned
I found myself reading the Altoona Curve wiki then i found this

Promotions

On "Awful Night", the first 1,000 fans received a photo of general manager Todd Parnell's gall bladder, and one "lucky"[dubious – discuss] fan won Parnell's actual gall bladder.

What the fuck kinda of promotion is this?

McNei1y

It's the same card game from Madden. Do you like it in Madden?

Not really, no. But this one seems cool because it's got custom players and other stupid shenanigans that seems customizable. Plus, I do think I'd like it better in baseball compared to football.

Sanjuro

I'm not surprised by it, but the new Dan Shaughnessy book on Francona is set to rip the Sox ownership to shreds. Some quotes.

Theo Epstein said:
“They told us we didn’t have any marketable players. We need some sexy guys. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. … We’d become too big. It was the farthest thing removed from what we set out to be."

Terry Francona said:
“I don’t think they love baseball. I think they like baseball. It’s revenue, and I know that’s their right and their interest because they’re owners. … it’s still more of a toy or hobby for them. It’s not their blood. They’re going to come in and out of baseball. It’s different for me. Baseball is my life.”

Professional baseball. It's about...

6ZBgj.png

Dammit, my dynasty league just folded after 6 years, and everything was coming together finally for me (Trout 5 Years 1 Dollar...fuck). Anyone looking for a dedicated, Orioles homer to join? I will take every Orioles prospect expect the best ones on my roster, watch them fail, but be too loyal to let them go.

Asking you MLB GAF bros; Was Diamond Dynasty any good in The Show last year? The idea seems interesting.
The thing I hated about it was you really couldn't set hitting/pitching rules. You might play a game and be used to Zone/Timing and get a different hitting/pitching style. At least that's what I experienced.

But then again alot of things were kinda broken in the game.
Then can it just happen already? I'm exhausted from waiting.
Arizona doesn't have to deal Upton, they're just looking to get the best possible haul.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Arizona doesn't have to deal Upton, they're just looking to get the best possible haul.

They don't have to, but at this point they really should. Upton's value relative to his contract has nowhere to go but down, and they've made it pretty clear that they don't really want him.

Talon

Pretty hilarious to me that we're sitting in position to either add Bourn or Justin Upton to the outfield. Not a guarantee that we'll manage either, but I don't think any of us Braves fans imagined that would be a conversation we could have...in mid-January.

They don't have to, but at this point they really should. Upton's value relative to his contract has nowhere to go but down, and they've made it pretty clear that they don't really want him.
Considering some of their other moves this offseason, assuming the Arizona FO is smart seems to be very kind.

eznark

Banned
Wow, despite a super disappointing season and totally dead off-season, the Brewers have already sold 1 million tickets. Pretty cool.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Twins are still pursuing Joe Saunders, eh? If they can get him for no more than 2 years and no more than like $7 mil per, I guess it's not too bad.

I need to decide when to go down for a game next year. I figure if I wait until it's clear they're going to be shitty I can snag Legends Club seats for like $40 again.

Talon

And Chris Reitsma as closer!

Good times.
I was at the very first game that Chris Reitsma appeared as the official closer.

They played a highlight video of him they obviously threw together in an hour. Imagine about 2 straight solids of Chris Reitsma uncomfortably staring into your soul.

I was also there when Smoltz pitched for us the very last time and he got hurt.

<---Terrible luck.

Jon

Denard Span via Twitter said:
I was watching some controversial stuff on YouTube about the sandy hooks thing today! It really makes u think and wonder

I mean, you might hear shit like this out of Eznark, but come on...enjoy this McNeily/Sharp.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
On a different note, Fredi has come out and said that Teheran and Delgado will both be on the roster this year, with one in the rotation and one in the bullpen.

Here we go again.

Top Bottom