• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I am a poor judge of catcher defense so I can't really comment on that. But we went from having a catcher who was above average offensively and maybe below average defensively to having an outfielder who is maybe average offensively and well below average defensively.

Jaso is also more durable, younger and cost controlled for several more years. Morse will be a free agent after this season.

Now the Mariners have no starting catcher, no back up catcher and a bench with two old guys whose best position is DH.

How did this trade make the Mariners better?

Morse is going to be 31

bluemax

Banned
Right. Morse is old and about to be a free agent. So if he walks the Mariners get nothing. If they want to get something back for him they have to make a qualifying offer of $14 MILLION to him. Do you really want to possibly pay 32 year old Mike Morse $14 million to be a below average first baseman?

Or we could've kept Jaso and paid him peanuts to be an above average player for the next 3 years.

Things that make me depressed:

ZiPS projects a .336 wOBA for Morse, in the NL.
Jaso, career wOBA (ZiPS for Seattle isn’t out yet), in the AL is .337

Blackace

Right. Morse is old and about to be a free agent. So if he walks the Mariners get nothing. If they want to get something back for him they have to make a qualifying offer of $14 MILLION to him. Do you really want to possibly pay 32 year old Mike Morse $14 million to be a below average first baseman?

Or we could've kept Jaso and paid him peanuts to be an above average player for the next 3 years.

Things that make me depressed:

ZiPS projects a .336 wOBA for Morse, in the NL.
Jaso, career wOBA (ZiPS for Seattle isn’t out yet), in the AL is .337

31 is not OLD by any stretch and he clears up salary if he walks.

bluemax

Banned
31 is not OLD by any stretch and he clears up salary if he walks.

He's on the wrong side of 30 for a team that is a few years away from really competing. Why trade a cost controlled asset for something of no value?

More depressing stuff:

Horacio Ramirez 0.2 WAR in 20 games with the Mariners
Mike Morse 0.3 WAR in 102 games last season.

bluemax

Banned
The Mariners payroll was at like $70 million before this deal. Saving money isn't really something they need to worry about right now.

Blackace

The Mariners payroll was at like $70 million before this deal. Saving money isn't really something they need to worry about right now.

The bottom line is they want power. now. I don't really like the move but I can see how come it happened

Macattk15

The bottom line is they want power. now. I don't really like the move but I can see how come it happened

They want some people who can hit HR's so they can show that moving in the fences was beneficial to give Jack Z more bargaining power for an extension.

"SEE. THE WALLS DID HELP, I NEED MORE TIME TO CONVINCE SLUGGERS TO COME HERE."

Blackace

They want some people who can hit HR's so they can show that moving in the fences was beneficial to give Jack Z more bargaining power for an extension.

"SEE. THE WALLS DID HELP, I NEED MORE TIME TO CONVINCE SLUGGERS TO COME HERE."

Well we did put up the money for Josh and completed a trade for Upton but neither netted us a slugger.

We have been wanting HR hitters for about 8 or 9 years now..

Macattk15

Well we did put up the money for Josh and completed a trade for Upton but neither netted us a slugger.

We have been wanting HR hitters for about 8 or 9 years now..

I know.

And people mad at trading Jaso ... it's not like we gave up shit to get him. Josh Lueke. A Rapist is all we gave up.

MonkeyDKenshin

Neo Member

He's certainly desperate, but I don't think a completely nonsensical trade like this makes any sense. If they would've dangled Jaso on the block they probably could've gotten a good prospect or two for when they're actually ready to compete. Now is not the time for a 1 year DH.

MonkeyDKenshin

Neo Member
He's on the wrong side of 30 for a team that is a few years away from really competing. Why trade a cost controlled asset for something of no value?

More depressing stuff:

Horacio Ramirez 0.2 WAR in 20 games with the Mariners
Mike Morse 0.3 WAR in 102 games last season.

Stick him at DH and that goes way up. Unfortunately I see the Mariners giving him way more days in the OF than they should.

Macattk15

He's certainly desperate, but I don't think a completely nonsensical trade like this makes any sense. If they would've dangled Jaso on the block they probably could've gotten a good prospect or two for when they're actually ready to compete. Now is not the time for a 1 year DH.

Look at it in Jack Z's perspective. It is when you're trying to save your job!

Not that I agree with it.

But I really don't care Jaso is gone and Morse is a Mariner all that much. Just kind of "meh" to the trade.

Also in 1 year ... if Morse walks ... we have Zunino in Jaso's place anyway. So whatever.

Montero's OPS is .200 points higher when he catches!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
"[Jaso] added a lot to our club last year but I think when you are in the position to acquire an everyday guy who has a chance to hit the ball hard and hit the ball far, I think it does change your game," Zduriencik said. "One of the things we have seen since I have been here is our lack of raw power; in Michael we have got a guy who has got big-time power.

"We've added to what we think could be a pretty good middle of the lineup there with Michael, Kendrys Morales, and Raul [Ibanez] and Jason Bay."
Jack has gone full Dayton. You should never go full Dayton.

McNei1y

Morse was fun to watch... mainly because he was given the chance to play everyday a couple years ago and managed to run away with the opportunity. It's unfortunate that it had to be this type of situation but chances of winning trumps everything.

I've always enjoyed singing Take On Me at the park as well. Morse Take On Me

eznark

Banned
I remember when I was crushed that Jack Z. left. Sadly, it seems Melvin really was the brains behind the operation. Frightening.

US provisional roster.

Catcher: JP Arencibia, Jonathan Lucroy, Joe Mauer
First Base: Mark Teixeira
Second Base: Brandon Phillips
Shortstop: Jimmy Rollins
Third Base: David Wright
Utility: Willie Bloomquist, Ben Zobrist
Outfield: Ryan Braun, Adam Jones, Giancarlo Stanton, Shane Victorino
Starting Pitcher: RA Dickey, Derek Holland, Kris Medlen, Ryan Vogelsong
Relief Pitcher: Jeremy Affeldt, Heath Bell, Mitchell Boggs, Steve Cishek, Tim Collins, Luke Gregerson, Craig Kimbrel, Chris Perez, Glen Perkins, Vinnie Pestano

Sad to see beastmode go, but he just wasn't going to be happy with his role this year and our FO said we wouldn't make a deal to just make one, so I have to believe they saw some potential in the prospect we picked up.

McNei1y

Sad to see beastmode go, but he just wasn't going to be happy with his role this year and our FO said we wouldn't make a deal to just make one, so I have to believe they saw some potential in the prospect we picked up.

AJ Cole is a beast. I was sad to see him go in the Gio deal. Glad we have him back. I feel like he'll be a #2-#3 for us in a few years. I don't know much about Blake Treinen except that he can throw 92-94 and can reach 96. I wonder what the third guy is.

Macattk15

Jaso has ONE good year in which he is basically only used against RHPs and everyone is up in arms that he got traded. The guy couldn't throw any baserunner out and basically sucked at catching baseballs as well .... doesn't matter if you're at a premium position when you can't play at it.

That could have been his career year in 2012 and I bet his numbers don't approach what they were last season.

Zunino would of made him useless next season or possibly even as early as June of 2013 anyway.

Maybe the M's will pick up Kottaras somehow or trade for Salty ... Kottaras and Jaso pre 2012 are basically the same person.

You know, I think Reyes is happy to be in Toronto with Bautista and Encarnaction, and playing the same place that Tony Fernandez played

Napoli's hip really must be fucked up to go from a 3-year, $39 million deal to a 1-year, $5 million deal. Good job by the Red Sox for not giving in on that.

Sanjuro

Napoli's hip really must be fucked up to go from a 3-year, $39 million deal to a 1-year, $5 million deal. Good job by the Red Sox for not giving in on that.

It's really an incredible deal. We need someone at first. I'm not really a fan of his, so nice rental.

Fenix

Dominican Republic WBC roster includes Esmil Rogers, Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Reyes and Melky Cabrera.

Along with R.A. Dickey, J.P. Arencibia and Brett Lawrie, the Jays are sending 7 players.

Also, Jameson Taillon will pitch for Canada.

I wonder how much Napoli would have made if he had become a free agent after 2011. Probably would have gotten over $100 million (based on the Mauer deal).

Top Bottom