• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Parch

You know, I think Reyes is happy to be in Toronto with Bautista and Encarnaction, and playing the same place that Tony Fernandez played
These conferences are so corny, but he really seemed excited about being a Blue Jay.
The fans are ready. If you're going to have attitude, might as well make it a winning attitude.

jakncoke

Banned
Ivan DeJesus*, INF - Puerto Rico
Jason Grilli, P - Italy
Chris Leroux, P - Canada
Russell Martin, C - Canada
Wandy Rodriguez, P - Dominican Republic
Ali Solis*, C - Mexico
Jameson Taillon*, P - Canada
Stefan Welch*, INF - Australia

Watch Taillon fuck something up

He would have made a TON of money after his performance in the 2011 World Series. He was the MVP if the Rangers hadn't choked.

I'd like to think that no GM would be stupid enough to double a guys contract because he got hot at the right time. I can't think of any good examples of this happening. Jayson Werth maybe?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I wish this Upton stuff would just hurry up and be done with one way or the other. I don't think its healthy for me to check mlbtr every 15 minutes.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I wish this Upton stuff would just hurry up and be done with one way or the other. I don't think its healthy for me to check mlbtr every 15 minutes.
My exact thoughts right here. Don't even really care if we get him or not at this point.

Didn't Beltran sign his big deal after getting hot in the playoffs with Astros?

I think the 4 seasons he had with the Royals where he had a combined 25 WAR had a lot more to do with that contract than his godly playoff run. To put that in perspective Napoli is much older than Beltran was when he signed with the Mets and he has a career WAR of 20. Napoli's best season was an average year for Beltran, who was on a HOF pace until he caught a minor case of the Mets.

I think the 4 seasons he had with the Royals where he had a combined 25 WAR had a lot more to do with that contract than his godly playoff run. To put that in perspective Napoli is much older than Beltran was when he signed with the Mets and he has a career WAR of 20. Napoli's best season was an average year for Beltran, who was on a HOF pace until he caught a minor case of the Mets.

But you're crazy if you think Beltran's domination in the playoffs didn't earn him extra cash (especially with Scott Boras as his agent). Beltran was a good player, but let's be honest: no one really looked at him as a top-tier player mostly because he played for the Royals. Beltran was probably looking at an $80 million deal until he single-handedly beat the Braves and almost single-handedly beat the Cardinals in the playoffs, which no doubt allowed him to get that extra push to $120 million.

jakncoke

Banned

Poor Jason Bay also caught this

But you're crazy if you think Beltran's domination in the playoffs didn't earn him extra cash (especially with Scott Boras as his agent). Beltran was a good player, but let's be honest: no one really looked at him as a top-tier player mostly because he played for the Royals. Beltran was probably looking at an $80 million deal until he single-handedly beat the Braves and almost single-handedly beat the Cardinals in the playoffs, which no doubt allowed him to get that extra push to $120 million.

I have to disagree about the extent the playoff run had on his contract. And about Beltran being underrated because he was on the Royals. Sure the casual baseball fan might underrate him due to being in KC but that had nothing to do with the reality of how great of a player he was at the time. He was a consistent 30-30 threat every year with a great bb/k ratio, a historical stealing success rate, and legit gold glove CF skills. He finished that season with the Astros 2 HR away from a 40-40 season. There is no way to really know how much the playoff run had an effect on the contract unless there is an interview out there asking the GM about it.

Malo

Banned
The difference is if Tejada gets hurt in a borderline meaningless game it's addition by subtraction for the Royals. Poo-holes and Papi are too valuable to their teams to risk it.
No one should be playing then.

Theres space for Pujols if he gets better by Feb. 20th. Ortiz said he wont play. Starters fucking suck though.
What's the team's best starter, Wandy? That team might not make it out of the quarterfinals.

Enron

Banned

Every 15 minutes? I was checking it the other morning in a meeting. On my phone. Every 10 minutes. FOR GODS SAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN ALREADY.

cashman

Banned
I use to check twitter literally every single minute during winter meetings and stuff, but now I'm bored of it. Just make a fucking decision already towers.

What's silly is that the Diamondbacks don't even have any leverage. After signing Cody Ross, they have four outfielders and teams know they have to get rid of either Justin Upton or Jason Kubel. The package of Randall Delgado, Eric O'Flaherty, Nick Ahmed, and Zeke Spruill is the best they're going to get.

Also, the Astros signed Rick Ankiel to a minor league/spring training deal.

Doogdogg

This entire thing is ridiculous. Upton should just accepted a trade and get the hell out of the Dbacks organization that seems to have a bad relationship with him.

The Mets and Bobby Parnell have avoided arbitration and agreed to a one-year, $1.7 million contract for 2013.

MLB Trade Rumors predicted Parnell would earn $1.5 million through arbitration this winter.

In 74 games for the Mets in 2012, Parnell, 28, went 5-4 with a 2.49 ERA, allowing 19 earned runs and 20 walks with 61 strikeouts in 68 2/3 innings.
Fuck.

This entire thing is ridiculous. Upton should just accepted a trade and get the hell out of the Dbacks organization that seems to have a bad relationship with him.

No matter how sour his relationship with Dbacks management is it can't be worse than being part of the Mariners

No one should be playing then.

Here in reality the huge contract these guys signed trump any sentimental patriotic feelings anyone might have. The timing of the WBC combined with the sheer length of an MLB season make participation a luxury, especially for pitchers. They're not exactly MLB quality games either since a vast majority of the players are not in mid season form. Hell I'm just happy that there will be extra baseball to watch this year.

Top Bottom