• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Link

The Autumn Wind
Go Ravens. No city should enjoy NFL and MLB championships in the same year.
I can only imagine how glorious it must have been in New York during the 1969-70 sports season. The Mets, Jets, and Knicks all won championships. I was born too late.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ibnwEumATw0sEg.jpg

Did I just hear a Upton rumor? No?!!

iju64yRGCd6lB.gif

I need rumors! Got any rumors?

ib1MPz98rq5o4I.gif

Upton rumors pullleaaasseee.

Rangers and David Murphy have avoided arbitration, agreeing on a 1-year, $5.775 million deal. Rangers now have no more arbitration cases and now have an estimated 2013 payroll of $107,375,000.

Mets re-sign Pedro Feliciano to minor-league deal.

Also LMAO:
The Brooklyn Cyclones made this announcement Friday ...

In light of recent events involving All-American linebacker Manti Te’o, the Brooklyn Cyclones have announced that June 21 will be Fictitious Friday at MCU Park. The Single-A Affiliate of the New York Mets will have legendary fireballer Sidd Finch on the mound, in what will be his long-awaited professional debut (What do you mean he’s not real?), when they take on Roy Hobbs and the New York Knights (Wait, that team only exists in a movie and they are actually playing the Aberdeen IronBirds). Fans should be sure to arrive early because prior to the game, The Beatles will reunite for a once-in-a-lifetime concert event. (Okay, that’s apparently not true either, but this girl I met online told me she could make it happen).

Enough joking around, now here are some true statements about the plans for the evening. Anyone who purchases one ticket at regular price will be allowed to bring their make believe significant-other to the ballpark free of charge. Fans will also have the chance to draw a picture of their girlfriend, because obviously something came up and she couldn’t make it, so that their friends can finally see what she looks like. As a special treat, MCU Park will host a unique petting zoo for those in attendance, featuring a unicorn, a mermaid, and a Minotaur. The Cyclones are also in discussions with the Loch Ness Monster and Big Foot to throw out a ceremonial first pitch that evening. In keeping with the tradition of Coney Island amusements, the Cyclones will put a spin on a traditional carnival game, as fans that are able to toss a ping-pong ball into a fish bowl will receive a catfish. Lastly, all of the player headshots used on the video board will just be random people whose photos we find on the Internet.

“Everywhere you look, there seems to be another story about an athlete that was covering up something,” said Cyclones General Manager Steve Cohen. “People don’t know who, or what, to believe any more. That got us thinking, we should have a night where our fans don’t have to worry about what’s real and what’s not, we’ll just tell them everything planned for that night is a hoax.”
I'm going. Fuck this shit.

captmcblack and anyone else who's NYC-GAF better clear their sched that day. June 21st is a Friday, ask for a day off in advance if you need it.

Which girlfriend will I draw though? I have as many of them in various states as Enron and Darkside have baseball teams!!

didn't he spend the last 2 years on the Yankees DL?
Yep, plus the compensatory pick the Mets for him turned into Michael Fulmer, one of the better young arms in their system. Turned out to be a good move, it becomes great if he makes the team outta Spring Training.
In other news, Mets invite Chico Escuela to spring training for another comeback.
Chico wasn't a shutdown lefty, and at least Pedro didn't piss off Ed Kranepool.

Syrinx

Was the SI article where Francona outlined the "demise of the Red Sox" or some shit like that an excerpt from his book? Never got around to reading that.

Sanjuro

Does he talk about his substance abuse problems at all?

Not sure! So far I've heard of a story where Lucchino berates some kid 48-hours after the World Series victory for not getting the official sweatshirts, that apparently is out of the gate in the book.

Also, some hints at his battles with Manny.

eznark

Banned
Not sure! So far I've heard of a story where Lucchino berates some kid 48-hours after the World Series victory for not getting the official sweatshirts, that apparently is out of the gate in the book.

Also, some hints at his battles with Manny.

Huh. My buddy worked there for 10 years as on field security and said nothing but great things about the way the ownership and office people treat the staff. Also had great things to say about everything in Boston and is probably the reason I hate the Red Sox so much so....

But specifically he always pointed out how awesome Lucchino was as a person.

Weird that the Reds traded for Choo without a deal in principle.

If you mean an extension, they're hoping that Choo is a one-year guy before Billy Hamilton takes over in center.

(Yes I know Choo isn't really a CF)
((Yes I know Jay Bruce isn't, either))
(((Yes, I know Hamilton was an infielder until this year)))
((((It's not my plan, I didn't come up with it))))

What about it sounds good? Delmon is a black hole of suck. Words fail in describing how awful his defense is. And he's not a good hitter. He hits for an empty average.
He had some power last year and he should be really cheap. If you can't get someone good then try a bunch of guys.

Sanjuro

Apparently, Lucchino hired a regular poster from SOSH to submit daily lineups to Tito.

**click purchase at Google Play Store**

This is going to be good.

eznark

Banned
If you mean an extension, they're hoping that Choo is a one-year guy before Billy Hamilton takes over in center.

(Yes I know Choo isn't really a CF)
((Yes I know Jay Bruce isn't, either))
(((Yes, I know Hamilton was an infielder until this year)))
((((It's not my plan, I didn't come up with it))))

It didn't have to be an extension, they could have negotiated a one year contract, this is his last arb year right?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
He had some power last year and he should be really cheap. If you can't get someone good then try a bunch of guys.
His ISO of .145 ranked him 97th among qualifying batters, tied with Jhonny Peralta and just ahead of slugger Omar Infante. His OPS was .707. Ben Revere's was .675. However, Delmon in the field:

DELMON-YOUNG.gif

NICE-THROW-DELMON.gif

Unless he's signing on a minor league deal, basically any amount is too much.

Fenix

His ISO of .145 ranked him 97th among qualifying batters, tied with Jhonny Peralta and just ahead of slugger Omar Infante. His OPS was .707. Ben Revere's was .675. However, Delmon in the field:

DELMON-YOUNG.gif

NICE-THROW-DELMON.gif

Unless he's signing on a minor league deal, basically any amount is too much.
750K Major League deal.

Phillies signed OF Delmon Young to a one-year, $750,000 contract.

The deal includes some performance-based incentives. The Phillies were in the market for a right-handed hitting outfielder, so they are hoping that Young can fit the bill. While the 27-year-old has produced a measly .702 OPS over the past two seasons, he owns an .824 OPS against southpaws for his career. He'd be a better fit on an American League team where he could continue to DH, but it's a reasonable gamble given the modest price tag. Young figures to play left field at least part of the time, which likely means less at-bats for Domonic Brown.

My thoughts exactly. Good gamble for the Phillies. If he can't hit in that ballpark they just waive him. I don't see how anyone can be against that deal for the Phillies.

Top Bottom