• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Mike Napoli, after almost two months, is now officially with the Red Sox on a 1-year, $5 million deal with $8 million in incentives. (The other) Chris Carpenter was DFA'd to make room for him on the 40-man.

If im the Mets I would try to get Dom Brown. Seems like the Phillies wont be giving him much of a chance this year again. Has he fallen off so much?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just trade Domonic Brown to us for pennies on the dollar, Ruben. You know you want to.

Edit: You stole my post, Dmncnby.

Monday was the cutoff for uniform pictures in MLB 13, so Michael Bourn and Kyle Lohse are going to be wearing generic "MLB" uniforms in the game now.

Jon

Amaro just said Young will play in RF.

Right field.

Delmon Young.

Right field.

Delmon Young.

Right field.

Delmon Young.

Jon

You guys sure did upgrade over the years.

I just don't understand what goes on behind closed doors. I mean seriously, what was the conversation that convinced Ruben to give Delmon Young a contract, let alone to make him the starting right fielder?

It's one thing to be a fan, or a blogger, or a professional baseball writer...but you'd expect the GM of the team to be "THE BIGGEST FAN"...as in, this is his whole life. This is his whole responsibility, to assemble a good team and compete for a World Series. Part of this responsibility should be, should be knowing that Delmon Young is a wet horse turd, and furthermore, that he offers no discernible upgrade in any position, or clubhouse presence.

So how do things like this happen?

I just don't understand what goes on behind closed doors. I mean seriously, what was the conversation that convinced Ruben to give Delmon Young a contract, let alone to make him the starting right fielder?

It's one thing to be a fan, or a blogger, or a professional baseball writer...but you'd expect the GM of the team to be "THE BIGGEST FAN"...as in, this is his whole life. This is his whole responsibility, to assemble a good team and compete for a World Series. Part of this responsibility should be, should be knowing that Delmon Young is a wet horse turd, and furthermore, that he offers no discernible upgrade in any position, or clubhouse presence.

So how do things like this happen?

LOL. The market for OFs was terrible this year. Young got 750k. That is nothing, if he sucks they cut him and it costs them nothing. This is no risk low reward.

Sanjuro

YAY!

Mike Napoli was officially introduced on a conference call with the Red Sox media moments ago. He agreed to a one-year deal for $5 million with an incentive package of $8 million more if he stays healthy based on plate appearances.

Ben Cherington and Napoli's agent Brian Grieper, were also in on the conference call.

Napoli has vascular necrosis of the hip joint, which usually leads to a hip replacement. Napoli said that he didn't know of the condition and never had symptoms. He said the first he heard of it was when the Red Sox conducted their physical exam

Napoli and his agent said the condition was found in its early stages and is treated with medication.

Cherington indicated that Napoili should be ready for spring training and he will play primarily first base.

Bo Jackson's career ended with a severe case of it.

My thoughts exactly. Good gamble for the Phillies. If he can't hit in that ballpark they just waive him. I don't see how anyone can be against that deal for the Phillies.
supernatural_confused.gif

He is right. It isnt costing them anything at all. Just keep signing these guys and hope 1 of them stick. There is no one that they could sign that would definitely fix things so they need to just grab a bunch of guys and see what happens. It happens a lot that guys switch locations and then have better years.

Friggz

Whats everyones thoughts on espn position rankings that they have had the last few days?

Best Outfield: 61 yankees
Best ROtation: 98 braves
Best Bullpen 97 Yankees

Best infield is probably tomorrow, not sure how you can make a case for any infields other than the 2009 yankees or one of the 70 Reds teams. (id lean towards the 2009 yankees)

turnbuckle

He is right. It isnt costing them anything at all. Just keep signing these guys and hope 1 of them stick. There is no one that they could sign that would definitely fix things so they need to just grab a bunch of guys and see what happens. It happens a lot that guys switch locations and then have better years.

Delmon Young was very close to being the worst player in baseball last year. Him even being an option, let alone a starter, makes the Phillies worse. Just as it did for Detroit last year. You're better off having another bullpen arm and making him play the field than using Delmon Young for anything, ever.

--

I guess he's had some success in the last two postseasons, but even that gets thrown away by signing with the Phillies.

Delmon Young was very close to being the worst player in baseball last year. Him even being an option, let alone a starter, makes the Phillies worse. Just as it did for Detroit last year. You're better off having another bullpen arm and making him play the field than using Delmon Young for anything, ever.

--

I guess he's had some success in the last two postseasons, but even that gets thrown away by signing with the Phillies.

WTF are you talking about? The Phils have been in the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years. It took an insane amount of injuries to even keep them out last year.

JABEE

WTF are you talking about? The Phils have been in the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years. It took an insane amount of injuries to even keep them out last year.
With two wildcard spots, the Phillies should make it next season if Howard and Utley bounce back. The Phillies really need to trade for an outfielder though.

With two wildcard spots, the Phillies should make it next season if Howard and Utley bounce back. The Phillies really need to trade for an outfielder though.

Yeah I wish there was someone available. I heard Ruben say the other day that they have money to spend if a team falls out of contention and decides to move someone.

JABEE

Yeah I wish there was someone available. I heard Ruben say the other day that they have money to spend if a team falls out of contention and decides to move someone.
That's what we have to hope for. I wonder if we should have kept Pence. Tommy Joseph is supposed to be pretty good. Amaro promised that they would replace Pence.

Ruf could also become a good player. Let's hope.

That's what we have to hope for. I wonder if we should have kept Pence. Tommy Joseph is supposed to be pretty good. Amaro promised that they would replace Pence.

Ruf could also become a good player. Let's hope.

Charlie was on 94.1 last week going on and on about how good Ruf has looked. I hope one of the guys they have works out but if not then they can add someone. There really werent many good options this offseason sadly.

Cardinals have avoided arbitration with Jason Motte, signing him to a 2-year, $12 million deal. The contract buys out his final year of arbitration in 2014.

Delmon Youhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/index.phpng was very close to being the worst player in baseball last year. Him even being an option, let alone a starter, makes the Phillies worse. Just as it did for Detroit last year. You're better off having another bullpen arm and making him play the field than using Delmon Young for anything, ever.

--

It's a low risk medium reward signing. If you look at his platoon vs LHP his hitting isn't terrible. He has a career .825 OPS vs LHP over 1000 AB. He's moving from a big pitchers park to a bandbox should help the power numbers slightly. He's still young enough to realize a fraction of the potential that made him a first overall pick. If he completely bombs as a strict LHP platoon they waive him and only have to eat 850k. Chump change. The only way this is a bad deal is if the manager is retarded and leaves him in the lineup vs RHP.

It's a low risk medium reward signing. If you look at his platoon vs LHP his hitting isn't terrible. He has a career .825 OPS vs LHP over 1000 AB. He's moving from a big pitchers park to a bandbox should help the power numbers slightly. He's still young enough to realize a fraction of the potential that made him a first overall pick. If he completely bombs as a strict LHP platoon they waive him and only have to eat 850k. Chump change. The only way this is a bad deal is if the manager is retarded and leaves him in the lineup vs RHP.

Phillies aren't using him as a platoon. Amaro already said Young is the everyday RF now.

eznark

Banned

Smart GMs never give managers the opportunity to prove how retarded they are.

Jon

Delmon Young is a bum. No one should want him on their team. Yankee, Jabee...I know you guys are trying to have a positive spin, but between this Young AND Michael Young...I don't know how much more I can take!

Delmon Young is a bum. No one should want him on their team. Yankee, Jabee...I know you guys are trying to have a positive spin, but between this Young AND Michael Young...I don't know how much more I can take!

As a Braves fan, I've been waiting for this day for a long time.

I am not positive at all. I would say I am neutral. It could work but it most likely wont. No reason to get upset about it, its not like there were any other options.

The best part is Amaro said Young may start the season on the DL.

Also, Elijah Dukes was arrested again on previous drug related charges.

bozeman

Monday was the cutoff for uniform pictures in MLB 13, so Michael Bourn and Kyle Lohse are going to be wearing generic "MLB" uniforms in the game now.

This is stupid. ESPN can shop on a hat mere seconds after a trade or signing is announced. Why couldn't they include updated pictures in the usual first day/week patch?

This is stupid. ESPN can shop on a hat mere seconds after a trade or signing is announced. Why couldn't they include updated pictures in the usual first day/week patch?

They have to have the data on the disc by a certain point. What I wish they would do is have every player photoshopped to be wearing all 30 uniforms and just change them based on where the players are in the game.

Friggz

i cant believe the number of posts about delmon young. its a non move, hes might as well be a replacement level player.

Top Bottom