• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

JABEE

Delmon Young is a bum. No one should want him on their team. Yankee, Jabee...I know you guys are trying to have a positive spin, but between this Young AND Michael Young...I don't know how much more I can take!
I don't like the Young signing either, but I think the rest of the team can stay close to WC contention. I can't believe they are going into this season with this outfield. It's complete shit. Even Revere is an underwhelming pickup.

Last season's outfield set up was better than what we have now.

I don't like the Young signing either, but I think the rest of the team can stay close to WC contention. I can't believe they are going into this season with this outfield. It's complete shit. Even Revere is an underwhelming pickup.

Last season's outfield set up was better than what we have now.

Honestly, signing Bourn to a shitty contract would be better than what you have now.

The Diamondbacks and Cliff Pennington have agreed on a 2-year, $5 million deal to avoid arbitration. The deal buys out his second year of arbitration next season. He will be eligible for arbitration again in 2015.

Supposedly, the only offer Bourn has gotten this offseason is a 1-year deal from the Braves worth less than their qualifying offer.

Lol Boras.

JABEE

Wait, are you saying Bourn would've been a worse signing than Young?

No. I think Bourn is a good player. I would rather sign Bourn to a bad contract than Delmon Young to a cheap contract.

The Phillies and the three aces don't have time to wait and see if Delmon Young's broken and used body can return to being an average right fielder. I need more guarantees than that.

The window is closing on the Phillies. Amaro was supposed to replace Pence. They haven't replaced Pence or Victorino's production and Howard and Utley have been injured and may never be the same. Ruiz is going to miss the first 25 games. There are some big problems on this team that haven't been addressed. I can't give Amaro a pass. He seems to have struck out on bringing in talent and has now been relegated to picking from the trash heap.

No. I think Bourn is a good player. I would rather sign Bourn to a bad contract than Delmon Young to a cheap contract.

The Phillies and the three aces don't have time to wait and see if Delmon Young's broken and used body can return to being an average right fielder. I need more guarantees than that.

The window is closing on the Phillies. Amaro was supposed to replace Pence. They haven't replaced Pence or Victorino's production and Howard and Utley have been injured and may never be the same. Ruiz is going to miss the first 25 games. There are some big problems on this team that haven't been addressed. I can't give Amaro a pass. He seems to have struck out on bringing in talent and has now been relegated to picking from the trash heap.

Delmon Young isn't going to keep that window open. all it will do is make you have to go get another outfielder (if there is anyone available) in the middle of the year next year and teams asking for too many prospects.
edit: Ooops, flipped the names, yeah I agree with you on Bourn.

rekameohs

Banned
Can't wait to see Lowe's at home ERA

derek+lowe.gif

Friggz

How is it a non-move when Amaro said Young's going to be their everyday RF?

Becuase he sucks. if the yankees signed bubba crosby and said he was going to be their everyday centerfielder it would a non move. other than his attitude, he will have no impact on the team. the only saving grace is that its a 1 year deal.

No way do I want 3 years of Bourn. I would much rather they sign a guy like Young and see if he can turn it around. If he does suck, which he most likely will, they have the flexibility to try and grab someone at the deadline or in FA next year. This years FA class for OFs was terrible outside of like 1 guy. Hopefully next years will be much better, no way it can be worse. I do agree that they havent replace Pence of Shane yet, but maybe out of Dom, Ben, Young, Ruf, and Mayberry they can make an outfield that will at least be decently productive. Their 2 biggest needs in the offseason were middle relief, which they have addressed, and right handed power, which they might have addressed. We will see how the year goes before I say Ruben did a good/bad job.

Friggz

No way do I want 3 years of Bourn. I would much rather they sign a guy like Young and see if he can turn it around. If he does suck, which he most likely will, they have the flexibility to try and grab someone at the deadline or in FA next year. This years FA class for OFs was terrible outside of like 1 guy. Hopefully next years will be much better, no way it can be worse. I do agree that they havent replace Pence of Shane yet, but maybe out of Dom, Ben, Young, Ruf, and Mayberry they can make an outfield that will at least be decently productive. Their 2 biggest needs in the offseason were middle relief, which they have addressed, and right handed power, which they might have addressed. We will see how the year goes before I say Ruben did a good/bad job.

next years FA class is worse. there are maybe 4 players under 30 years old.

And why wouldnt you want 3 years of bourn? I admit that a 5 or 6 year deal is too long for someone with his skillset, but 3 years would be the perfect deal.

next years FA class is worse. there are maybe 4 players under 30 years old.

And why wouldnt you want 3 years of bourn? I admit that a 5 or 6 year deal is too long for someone with his skillset, but 3 years would be the perfect deal.

Bourn really fell off last year and I am very worried about him going forward. I also expect Boras to still try to push for to much money and would rather not even deal with that. Plus the Phils desperately need someone with power and I hope that Young can be better in that regard.

Friggz

Bourn really fell off last year and I am very worried about him going forward. I also expect Boras to still try to push for to much money and would rather not even deal with that. Plus the Phils desperately need someone with power and I hope that Young can be better in that regard.

hes been atleast a 4 win player since 2009. hes obviusley not the player you want if you seek power. but he gets on base, steals bases, and plays elite defense. 3 year contract would be fine.

cashman

Banned

????
Last year was statistically the best season of his career.

????
Last year was statistically the best season of his career.

I think "falling off" is not a good term for 2012 Bourn. He hit almost .340 before the All-Star Break. Not too sure what happened to him in the second half though. I personally think he fell in love with all those majestic home runs he hit in Cincinnati's little league park (he hit three in a four-game series, including a multi-homer game).

Also, his steals were way down compared to 2011. That can't be attributed to the Braves way of doing things, because Prado and Heyward were stealing a lot more than they ever did. Prado had almost 20 steals in '12.

Friggz

I think "falling off" is not a good term for 2012 Bourn. He hit almost .340 before the All-Star Break. Not too sure what happened to him in the second half though. I personally think he fell in love with all those majestic home runs he hit in Cincinnati's little league park (he hit three in a four-game series, including a multi-homer game).

Also, his steals were way down compared to 2011. That can't be attributed to the Braves way of doing things, because Prado and Heyward were stealing a lot more than they ever did. Prado had almost 20 steals in '12.

he still stole 42 bases in 2012. he isnt going to steal 55 a season.

Sanjuro

Youkilis not returning Joba's calls.

:'(

"I left him [Youkilis] a voicemail," said Chamberlain, who was then asked if his old nemesis had returned the call. "No, he did not call me back."

(snip)

"I did everything I could and I can't control what Kevin Youkilis does," said Chamberlain, who was being honored at the B.A.T. Foundation dinner at the Marriott Marquis in Midtown Tuesday night. "Am I surprised [he didn't return the call]? Not really. I'm bound to run into him at some point — sooner, rather than later, I'm assuming. We'll see what happens."

Sanjuro

Bunch of nice MLB shirts on clearance for $6. (Some nice hockey ones as well, long sleeve is $9)

Men's Warehouse - Use Code: 40SALE

Shipping kind of kills it a bit, but there is a free store pickup if there is one nearby you.

Kingbrave

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

The Diamondbacks have been reviewing the Braves' offer for Upton; some folks involved feel like it's a strong offer.

Rockies and Jonathan Herrera have agreed on a 1-year, $0.9 million deal to avoid arbitration. The Rockies still have unsettled cases with Jhoulys Chacin and Dexter Fowler.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

The Diamondbacks have been reviewing the Braves' offer for Upton; some folks involved feel like it's a strong offer.

4290616d_HappyBirthdayBlackKid.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
as long as its delgado and not teheran think i will be fine with it. Also did anyone see that article on fangraphs saying the braves need to give up simmons, teheran plus others? lol fuck that.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
as long as its delgado and not teheran think i will be fine with it. Also did anyone see that article on fangraphs saying the braves need to give up simmons, teheran plus others? lol fuck that.
Yeah, the idea was that the Braves include additional pieces so that they can get Gregorious back with Upton. The author is really high on Gregorious though, and who knows, he could be right.

Young has lost 20lbs already this offseason and they said it would have been more if not for the ankle bothering him. Hopefully the huge paycut motivates him to really bust his ass this year.

RBH

The D-Backs are weighing an offer for right fielder Justin Upton from the Atlanta Braves, according to major-league sources. But they renewed contact with the Orioles on Wednesday about a possible deal for left fielder Jason Kubel, and are weighing their options, sources said.

Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers is going on vacation to Africa on Friday. He would prefer to move either Upton or Kubel by then, but is not treating the start of his trip as a deadline, sources said.

Upton, 25, would join his older brother, center fielder B.J. Upton, 28, and right fielder Jason Heyward, 23, to give one of the Braves one of the best outfields in baseball for at least the next three years.

The Braves are deep in young pitching that would appeal to the D-Backs, and Arizona also likes the power of Evan Gattis, a 26-year-old who has yet to play above Double A and profiles as a left fielder.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...ason-kubel-baltimore-orioles-hot-stove-012313

Top Bottom