• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

The Braves and Nationals improve their team. The Phillies get worse.

How have they gotten worse since the end of last year? They got a good setup guy, and they were the worst team in the league in the 8th last year. They also added a few new guys who even if they dont work out as everyday players they should at least improve their terrible bench from last year. The biggest thing will be can Doc, Chase, and Howard stay healthy.

Enron

Banned
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

The Diamondbacks have been reviewing the Braves' offer for Upton; some folks involved feel like it's a strong offer.

8tc8RwC.gif

Not really. I've been clamoring for a RH OFer and I didn't even want Young. He's terrible in the field.

Im glad Sandy stood away from him. Im just wondering whose the premium OFer he keeps talking about signing. I think they are really considering signing Bourn. Also, i hope Veldespin gets a chance in OF. Guy has been tearing up the DWL. He's actually learned how to take a walk.

Talon

How have they gotten worse since the end of last year? They got a good setup guy, and they were the worst team in the league in the 8th last year. They also added a few new guys who even if they dont work out as everyday players they should at least improve their terrible bench from last year. The biggest thing will be can Doc, Chase, and Howard stay healthy.
Yep.

RBH

The Diamondbacks want to decide whether to trade Justin Upton after more than a year of dangling the young star outfielder in the trade market, or Jason Kubel sometime in the next 48 hours. A deal could happen as soon as Wednesday. Arizona has been discussing a possible Kubel deal with Baltimore, and sources involved in the Upton talks said Atlanta has made a strong offer that is likely built around pitching.

In any Upton deal, the Braves probably would surrender a package of prospects that won't include young shortstop Andrelton Simmons, a player Arizona asked for earlier in this offseason, sources said.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8...scussing-justin-upton-trade-according-sources

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Alright, going to put dinner in the slow cooker and have a shower. Upton better be a Brave when I come back.

Enron

Banned
That's fine, but I've got over 20 years invested in both teams, going all the way back to when they were both shitty.

You won't see me judging a SS's worth just because he doesn't hit homeruns.

@ sanjuro ;_;

RBH

The trade offer, which was being considered by the Diamondbacks on Wednesday night, was believed to include either of the Braves young starting pitchers Julio Teheran (most likely) or Randall Delgado, plus at least two other lesser players or prospects.

Shortstop prospect Nick Ahmed and Evan Gattis, a catcher-turned-left fielder who has slugged himself into prospect status despite his relatively advanced age (26), were possibilities for inclusion along with a few Braves pitching prospects. Potential future ace J.R. Graham wasn’t believed to be involved.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-make-offer-arizonas-upton/nT5Y6/

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Although I believe DOB is purely guessing in that article, I will say that if Teheran/Gattis/Ahmed/Spruill(or whoever) gets it done, then that's a good deal.

Talon

So, based on its track record, I'm going to believe the opposite of the AJC and say that Delgado is most likely to be dealt.

Fine by me.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Teheran's 2012 was just a bump in the road. He was back to his dominate self in winter ball. (changed his delivery back). Teheran is still a ace to be imo and is ready to start full time in the majors this season. I really don't want to give him up. Delgado will be a good one too, I just don't think he will be better than Teheran.

JABEE

They are all a year older. I was more confident in this team at the beginning of last season than I am now. Pence and Victorino are better than what we have in the outfield. Halladay had a bad year filled with injuries. Almost every key player the Phillies have is either suspended, not on the team, or breaking down with age. Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels, and Cliff Lee are the only players that inspire confidence right now. I believe Halladay can come back, but there are so many question marks on this team.

As a fan, I want to believe all of these players will come back and produce like it's 2008, but on paper I feel like it's going to be tough to win the division with the personell the Phillies have right now. I think the Reuben Amaro has allowed the Phillies to stagnate and age. They need to strike now while the Phillies rotation is still elite, even if it means handing out bad contracts.

The free agent pool is never going to be like last year's pool of players. Major League Baseball is making it easier for home teams to control their prospects as they mature. The Phillies should be using their clout as a rich team now, not in 2014 when the free agent pool is even weaker.

Jubs

Teheran's 2012 was just a bump in the road. He was back to his dominate self in winter ball. (changed his delivery back). Teheran is still a ace to be imo and is ready to start full time in the majors this season. I really don't want to give him up. Delgado will be a good one too, I just don't think he will be better than Teheran.

Agreed. I'd rather keep Teheran. His ceiling is too high.

I'd be hesitant to deal him for Upton, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.

I'm stunned. The Mets had the leverage, Hairston wanted more playing time and with the Mets you knew he was getting 400+ ABs. What a swerve.

However, in the big picture he's a platoon player. There's really no guarantee Hairston will repeat last season's numbers and it opens the door for guys like Baxter and Brown, whom they got for next to nothing. Fans prefer Hairston because he's a known commodity, but he's also an extremely limited player with just one redeeming quality (power) and enough negatives (most notably OBP) to negate most of the positive value he brings to the table. I would've loved to see him re-sign, but I don't think it kills the season. So far the OF is looking like this:

LF: Lucas Duda
CF: Nieuwenhuis/Cowgill
RF: Baxter/Brown

Not great, but I expect Sandy to try and make some minor moves during ST when OFers get cut off rosters.

John Harper of NYDN is reporting that the Mets are trying to get protection for their first round pick. They are arguing they should get the protection due to the fact they finished with a bottom 10 record. Mets have the 11th pick because the Pirates were awarded the 9th pick since they did not sign Appel. Top 10 picks r protected. If pick gets protected, Mets would be in for Bourn.

Doytch

I'm stunned. The Mets had the leverage, Hairston wanted more playing time and with the Mets you knew he was getting 400+ ABs. What a swerve.

However, in the big picture he's a platoon player. There's really no guarantee Hairston will repeat last season's numbers and it opens the door for guys like Baxter and Brown, whom they got for next to nothing. Fans prefer Hairston because he's a known commodity, but he's also an extremely limited player with just one redeeming quality (power) and enough negatives (most notably OBP) to negate most of the positive value he brings to the table. I would've loved to see him re-sign, but I don't think it kills the season. So far the OF is looking like this:

LF: Lucas Duda
CF: Nieuwenhuis/Cowgill
RF: Baxter/Brown

Not great, but I expect Sandy to try and make some minor moves during ST when OFers get cut off rosters.
Understatement of the century.

Top Bottom