• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT3| Only 187 More Days Till Opening Day 2016

Not even mad.

Rangers/Astros, let's go.

I'd rather the Royals play the Rangers than Astros, to be honest. Houston obliterated us in their park this year. The Yankees I'm indifferent about, but can't be discounted in October. I think Texas is the "easiest" opening option, so Toronto should feel good heading in.

Also, statistically speaking, how much has HFA helped in the past?

Last year, the Royals were the away team for the entire AL run and swept everyone. The only series we lost was the WS with home field advantage, so it did us no favors.

zroid

Banned
I don't really think the retirement was 100% by choice. His last six outings took him out of the rotation for postseason.

Are you honestly arguing that removing him in the first inning of a game he's losing 9-0 preserves his utility going forward? He has zero confidence now. The team had zero confidence in him. He's done.

I am not really arguing that because it's all hypothetical. But I certainly don't think throwing 60+ pitches, which would have been the minimum for him to get 2 innings at that point, was ever in the cards on one day's rest. It really sucks for him, especially since it could have been avoided without the sloppy defence. That's baseball, though.

I am not really arguing that because it's all hypothetical. But I certainly don't think throwing 60+ pitches, which would have been the minimum for him to get 2 innings at that point, was ever in the cards on one day's rest. It really sucks for him, especially since it could have been avoided without the sloppy defence. That's baseball, though.

But he's going for a record in his last ever outing. I don't think he was remotely concerned about rest. Bumgardner pitched way more than that last World Series, and he has an entire career in front of him.

Pulling him doesn't add up given the circumstances. The game is lost, and likely irrelevant with the Royals well ahead. Saving a retiring pitcher from a high pitch count is meaningless...he has the rest of his life to rest, and isn't an injury risk in the first place.

Feels like the team screwed him a bit. Not arguing with you, just saying it feels wrong.

8bwJZpK.gif

Just in case I need to find this GIF later.

zroid

Banned
But he's going for a record in his last ever outing. I don't think he was remotely concerned about rest. Bumgardner pitched way more than that last World Series, and he has an entire career in front of him.

Pulling him doesn't add up given the circumstances. The game is lost, and likely irrelevant with the Royals well ahead. Saving a retiring pitcher from a high pitch count is meaningless...he has the rest of his life to rest, and isn't an injury risk in the first place.

Feels like the team screwed him a bit. Not arguing with you, just saying it feels wrong.

Fair enough, I understand. Really though, I honestly believe they wanted to afford him every opportunity to reach the milestone and it was a mutual decision at that point to take him out. After the grand slam, one of the coaches had gone out to see if he was feeling OK and he stayed in. He was already struggling to command his pitches and if you can't command pitches you can't get outs, especially with Buehrle's velocity, which was lower than normal in this outing. Mark probably understood and agreed with the decision, as unfortunate as it was. I hope that's the case, anyway.

Neither does MLB, to be honest. The rule literally prohibits pitchers intentionally deceiving a runner, which happens almost every pickoff attempt.

Remember when MLB's Twitter bio said, "We don't understand the Infield Fly Rule either" before they removed it after the 2012 NL Wild Card game?

Matticers

Dear god we are terrible.

Yup. The Yankees are going to be the worst team in the playoffs by far.

Honestly, they don't even look like they deserve to be there. And if the past few weeks (or months?) are any indication, the season ends on Tuesday. Hate to be a negative nancy but that's just what you expect after watching them play lately. Home field on the line and everyone has an awful performance - including Girardi. It's sad.

Question for JaysGAF:

What do you sing in the beginning of thr game and in the 7th inning stretch?

My buddy, who's never been to a Blur Jays game, insists than both the US and Canada's anthem is sung.

zroid

Banned
Hutchison can't pitch well to save his life right now. Hopefully finishing the season like this will motivate him to figure out what went wrong and impress next year.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Question for JaysGAF:

What do you sing in the beginning of thr game and in the 7th inning stretch?

My buddy, who's never been to a Blur Jays game, insists than both the US and Canada's anthem is sung.

Both anthems are sung since it's always an American team they're playing against. If it was 2 Canadian teams like in hockey or if the Expos were still around it would be only the Canadian anthem.

During the 7th inning they sing the Ok Blue Jays song and then Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

Both anthems are sung since it's always an American team they're playing against. If it was 2 Canadian teams like in hockey or if the Expos were still around it would be only the Canadian anthem.

During the 7th inning they sing the Ok Blue Jays song and then Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

Got it.

OK Blue Jays probably sounds better than the butchered God Bless America and occasional Piano Man sung at Citi.

Top Bottom