• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very Jerry DiPoto move. They get a guy who they feel fills a potential immediate need (leadoff hitter/starting short stop) as well as add future depth in Curtis and Haniger. In return they give up two extremely flawed players that were over valued by the previous regime.

Bingo. Big win for the Ms imo. Add to the list of future regrets for the Dbacks.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm watching my roommates play Dead Space 2 on a laptop and it's running at about 15fps. They don't seem to even notice and it's killing me.

I'm watching my roommates play Dead Space 2 on a laptop and it's running at about 15fps. They don't seem to even notice and it's killing me.

That's why resolution is focused on instead of 60fps. And people can't tell the difference in resources either, but the numbers are bigger.

People are the worst, really.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
That's why resolution is focused on instead of 60fps. And people can't tell the difference in resources either, but the numbers are bigger.

People are the worst, really.

These are people that can't tell when a different aspect-ratio has been stretched out. Oh but they need only the best speakers.

Tim Raines is a poster boy for sports injustice, but his snub doesn't deserve our obsession

This week, Chris Bittle, Liberal MP for St. Catharines, addressed an issue of importance to all Canadians.

“I rise today to speak of an upcoming ballot,” Bittle told the House of Commons. “This is not a matter for the Minister of Democratic Institutions. I am, Mr. Speaker, speaking about the baseball hall of fame ballot.”

Sounding a bit like a Reddit sub-thread brought to life, Bittle launched into an appeal on behalf of former Montreal Expo Tim Raines.

He reminded us that Raines “had an impressive on-base percentage. On par with Tony Gwynn.” He won a batting title. “For five years, he was measured as one of the most valuable players in the National League.”

In all, it was a stats-dork fever dream made real. The geeks have won. They’re in control.

At their best, sports are a connector of disparate people and a harmless escape. However, they were never meant to be taken with seriousness – as in the eerie way Canadians now talk about hockey, as if it were some patrimony brought down from Mt. Sinai. A list of the places where people care so much about sports that they’re willing to beat each other up over them is a pretty good list of places you wouldn’t want to live.

I expect sports to become even more central to our public discourse, especially given recent events to the south. When there isn’t enough bread for everyone, the people in charge like to go heavy on circuses. They are unique in appealing to all the classes.

What’s dispiriting is how complicit smart people are in their own dumbing down. Play sports, watch sports, talk sports, care about sports. That’s all great. But not if you begin to think that sports and how they turn out explains something vital about your culture. They only do that if you choose not to pay attention to anything else.

A good article from the Globe and Mail about how sports often times doesn't need to be crosschecked with real life, using Tim Raines as a jumping off point. It raises some very good points.

Ugh. And on a laptop no less.

These are people that can't tell when a different aspect-ratio has been stretched out. Oh but they need only the best speakers.

gaaah!!!

Yankees aren't in play anymore for Yoenis.

Then again, did the Yanks really want him? Management seems hellbent on waiting for 2018 and beyond.

I don't think there ever was.

RBH

lpu1YAf.jpg

jbug617

Banned
Giants have been discussing about bringing back Pablo Sandoval
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ts_have_considered_trading_for_pablo_sandoval
At least internally, the Giants have considered a reunion with third baseman Pablo Sandoval, a baseball source told the Herald.

How motivated the Red Sox should be to trade Sandoval depends on two other questions: how well do they believe the third baseman can control his eating, and how much of the $58 million he’s guaranteed through 2019 (including a 2020 buyout) should they be willing to eat?

Eh. We aren't in a position to do that trade.
I agree. For the Yankees to do that they would give up so much talent that they would have to buy all their players again to surround Trout. They are doing it the right way imo, they have a chance to be a dynasty again if their prospects turn out to be studs in the ML.

After $1 billion in player spending, Dodgers under MLB mandate to cut debt

The Dodgers, who have spent more than a billion dollars on player payroll in the first four seasons of Guggenheim Baseball Management, face a mandate to reduce debt in order to conform to Major League Baseball rules.

The club is expected to reduce payroll for a second consecutive season, with the goal of cutting from about $300 million in 2015 to closer to $200 million in 2018.

Commissioner Rob Manfred said he did not believe fans should worry that ownership would diminish the Dodgers’ ability to win in order to satisfy the debt rule. The Dodgers have won the National League West in each of the four full seasons under Guggenheim ownership, the longest streak in franchise history.

“I think the Dodgers will be in a position that they can comply with our expectations in terms of the debt service rule, without any dramatic alteration in the kind of product they have been putting on the field,” Manfred said.

The rule, designed to ensure teams have the resources to meet their financial obligations, generally limits debt to no more than 12 times annual revenue, minus expenses. The Dodgers were not profitable in any of the first three full seasons under new ownership, co-owner Todd Boehly said last year. Their debt is believed to be in the hundreds of millions.

Guggenheim’s spending — from the assumption of a quarter-billion in contracts to get Adrian Gonzalez in 2012 to the sport’s first $300-million payroll in 2015 — raised eyebrows throughout the industry. The New York Yankees led the major leagues in payroll every season from 1999-2012, but the Dodgers have led in every full season under Guggenheim ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom