• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

Tomorrow night's Wild Card matchups look to be much more exciting than the past few days.

The Rays actually face a starting pitcher with a winning record from the Yankees.

The Angels just took 2 of 3 from the A's and have 4 against the Rangers.

The Twins have played the Indians pretty tough all season. 1st of 4 in Minnesota

Might actually see some activity tomorrow...

alstein

Why are the Braves so on edge the past month? They are acting like they are chasing after a dog in heat.

I've only seen two issues- the homer in Florida, and tonight.

If I was to make a guess, I'd say it might have something to do with the Braves not really having any everyday players who came through the academy system- they were all drafted, so there might be a culture clash. The only non-American is Andrelton Simmons, and he went to college in the US. (They did have Ramiro Pena earlier in the year, but he got hurt)

I wonder if that plays a role.

Malvingt2

I don't think Gomez started jawing until Maholm & McCann started yelling at him because their poor little feelings were hurt while Gogo watched that majestic home run.

McCann & Johnson should be suspended.
you are wrong

It's going to be amazing when Reed Johnson is suspended for some playoff games. McCann didn't even get tossed despite inciting a fight and refusing to let a home run hitter cross the plate. Insanity.
he won't. maybe a couple of regular games. A question tho: when are you going to stop trolling?

McCann was standing in the base path without the ball. Gomez should've ran into him at full speed and cleaned him out.
lolol

Reed Johnson is definitely getting suspended for sure.
yeah, probably

McCann blocking home plate just because Gomez hit a fucking BOMB is the most chickenshit move I've ever seen.

35016-Jennifer-Lawrence-oh-yeah-gif-2nLa.gif

all the networks loved what McCann did. It was the right thing to do.

eznark

Banned
Trend seems to be if you love sac bunts and closers then you think Gomez is the worst monster in history.

If you like smart baseball you think everyone in the situation was an idiot and are baffled that McCann didn't get tossed.

How depressing must it be for Braves fans to wake up and realize they've turned into Tony LaRussa?

Malo

Banned
I would like to thank Mr. Cano on everything he's done for the Yankees and wish him well on his future endeavors.

Para de beber mamajuana maldito loco.

ToxicAdam

Breakdown of the wildcard scenarios.

The three-way tie is pretty kooky.

In the event the Rangers tie with Cleveland for the second wild card spot: Cleveland would own the tiebreaker based on head-to-head record (Cleveland won the season series, 5-1). The Rangers would play at Cleveland on Monday, most likely at 6 or 6:30 CT, to determine who would advance to play at Tampa Bay in the one-game wild card playoff on Wednesday. The winner of that game would then go to the AL’s top seed to open the Division Series. Currently, Boston has a one-game lead over Oakland for home field advantage.

• In the event the Rangers tie with Tampa Bay for the second wild card spot: The tiebreaking game would be played in Arlington on Monday with the winner advancing to play at Cleveland on Wednesday and the winner of that going to either Boston or Oakland.

• In the event the Rangers tie with Cleveland for the top spot: The two teams would then be the wild card teams and the wild card game would be played on Wednesday in Cleveland with the winner going on to either Boston or Oakland.

• In the event the Rangers tie with Tampa Bay for the top spot: The two teams would then be the wild card teams and the wild card game would be played Wednesday in Arlington with the winner going on to either Boston or Oakland.

• In the event of a three way tie for the two wild card spots: Cleveland would receive the top designation and would have its choice, but the most likely option would be that it would choose to play Monday at home in Cleveland. The winner of the Monday game would be considered the top wild card seed. Tampa Bay would get the second designation and could pick to have two chances to win one game, both on the road, or play one game at home for the second wild card spot. The advantage in picking to play in the Monday game is that te loser of the Monday game essentially gets a double elimination format. The third team does get a home game, but gets only one chance to win.

• In the event the Rangers win the top wild card spot and Cleveland and Tampa Bay tie for the second spot: Cleveland would play at Tampa Bay on Monday with the Rangers hosting the winner Wednesday.

I really hope the Red Sox hold onto that top seed. If the Indians move on, Francona versus his old team would be a very compelling storyline. Even though I think the Indians probably have a better shot at beating Oakland in a short series.

Malo

Banned
I was thinking id max out at 6 years 170 for cano. still gives him the aav, but doesnt overpay in years.
That's' one more year than I'd give him, but I agree on the aav. Too bad there's no way he'd sign a 5 or 6 year deal. Can't wait to have another albatross of a contract on the books!

Cool, I guess.
He always wanted to play outfield and used to bug Torre about it. So this is pretty cool for him.

Don't blow out your acl again Mo.

Malvingt2

Trend seems to be if you love sac bunts and closers then you think Gomez is the worst monster in history.

If you like smart baseball you think everyone in the situation was an idiot and are baffled that McCann didn't get tossed.

How depressing must it be for Braves fans to wake up and realize they've turned into Tony LaRussa?

hmm

Brian McCann is the heart and soul of the Atlanta Braves. So on Wednesday night, he did what great leaders almost always do. McCann stood up for his pitcher, and he stood up for his team.

In the end, that's all this was about. Was McCann right to confront Brewers left fielder Carlos Gomez at home plate? Could he have have looked the other way?

Clown questions, bro. McCann was reacting in the heat of the moment. In a situation bubbling with anger and emotion, he did what almost anyone who knows McCann might have expected.

These are tough, resilient, competitive people who've risen to the very highest level of their profession. These are not people who got where they are by backing down from a challenge.

To McCann, this was a matter of respect. For his teammates. For his game. For his home ballpark. And this whole thing captured the meaning of September baseball.

The Braves have been one of baseball's best teams since Opening Day, one of the teams that would surprise absolutely no one by winning the World Series. In a season of high expectations, they've endured injuries and slumps, tests large and small, and still sailed to the National League East championship.

For the Brewers, this has been a season of bitter disappointment. They, too, began the season with optimism and expectations. Nothing has gone right, and they began Wednesday 17 games under .500 and 22 1/2 games out of first place. They're five days away from an offseason filled with uncertainty as their front office tries again to get it right.

Gomez began the day with a grudge. He remembered that Braves starter Paul Maholm had hit him with a pitch on June 23. He believes it was intentional.

"If you see the replay," Gomez said, "they hit me for no reason."

Gomez showed up ready to get even. That much was clear when he stepped into the batter's box against Maholm in the first inning. Gomez almost came out of his shoes swinging at Maholm's first pitch. His reaction announced where this was going. Gomez glared at Maholm, his face lined with tension and anger. And then he jacked Maholm's next pitch out of the park. Gomez stood there and briefly admired it.

When Gomez began to run, he began to talk, too. Loudly. At Maholm. As Gomez rounded first base, still talking, still glaring, Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman did some yelling, too.

And when Gomez rounded third, he kept barking at Maholm. He was so focused on Maholm that he didn't see McCann had moved several feet up the third-base line and straddled it.

Gomez looked toward home plate at the last minute and seemed startled to see McCann there. McCann had raised his mask onto his head as if he was almost taunting Gomez to take a shot. And that's when all hell broke loose in Atlanta.

Gomez and McCann yelled at one another as an umpire tried to get between them. Both dugouts quickly emptied and both players kept jawing. It took three Brewers to get Gomez back to the dugout.

Afterward, Gomez admitted he'd gone too far and said McCann did what he was supposed to do.

"If I'm the catcher, I do the same thing," Gomez said.

The incident will be front and center on talk radio and the blogs Thursday. There'll be people who say this guy was wrong or that one was wrong. Everything will look different in hindsight. People in the heat of the moment -- competitive, fiery people -- don't have the benefit of hindsight. They react.

Maybe the Brewers will think Gomez overreacted. After all, his reaction to something that happened in June set the whole thing off. But there won't be one negative word about McCann in the Atlanta clubhouse.

This is why McCann's teammates love him. In the moment, he went to bat for his teammate, his team and his home ballpark.

This stuff isn't new to the Braves. McCann had words with Marlins rookie Jose Fernandez after the kid hit a home run and took a leisurely stroll around the bases. The Braves and Nationals got into it earlier this season after Bryce Harper was hit by a pitch.

At a time when some of their fans may have wondered if the Braves would be in cruise control after clinching the NL East on Sunday, they appear to have some fight left in them.

McCann left Turner Field before reporters were allowed into the clubhouse. What could he say anyway? McCann did what he thought he was supposed to do. He did what any of us would want a teammate to do.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...ey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_61795992

rando14

andycapps

Finally watched what happened last night with Gomez and McCann. Gomez is a fucking idiot and he caused every bit of that. Good for Freeman and McCann for doing what they did. Maybe Gomez will grow up and learn how to run around the bases like a real ballplayer and not have to talk shit after he does something.

ToxicAdam

If trout is somehow able to carry this production until he's eligible for FA, I can't imagine the amount he'll ask for.

It will probably be one of the most interesting contracts of all time. Since he will be so young (26) he could get a 10-11 year deal. Which would make the backend of that deal (potentially) one of the biggest albatrosses of all-time when his production falls.

Branduil

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/2013/09/ron-washington-theres-no-joy-in-arlington.html/

Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington on Wednesday replied to the gloom-and-doom pictures that have been painted of his club.

“You look at every other city that has chance of being in the playoffs now, and there’s joy,” Washington said. “I don’t see a whole lot of joy in Arlington. I’m not knocking anybody. I just don’t see it. All they can talk about is how we collapsed. That’s not right.”

GEE RON I WONDER WHY.

ToxicAdam

“You look at every other city that has chance of being in the playoffs now, and there’s joy,” Washington said. “I don’t see a whole lot of joy in Arlington

1272649619-jacobs-field.jpg

tropicana%20field%20empty.jpg

Look at all the joy

Top Bottom