• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

The one thing I never understood with a HBP, is why pitchers never hold up their hand to apologize or something.
Occasionally I've seen it, but let's say a pitcher just hit you in the head and just exploded the speaking/recognition part of your brain. While you while on the ground a twitching, writhing mass, drooling over yourself and possibly choking on your tongue, you think you'd feel better if the pitcher came over and was like, "sorry, my bad"?
You're not trying to give the hitter an edge over you.
Wait, how the hell is that giving an edge? What, you like "yo he just cracked my 3rd vertebrae and paralyzed me from the waist down, but next next I see him I'll have a mental edge over him". Is that how it works?

MiKeD

Banned
You're not trying to give the hitter an edge over you.

I don't see giving up 'an edge' in just quickly holding up your hand to the guy you just accidentally beaned.

Occasionally I've seen it, but let's say a pitcher just hit you in the head and just exploded the speaking/recognition part of your brain. While you while on the ground a twitching, writhing mass, drooling over yourself and possibly choking on your tongue, you think you'd feel better if the pitcher came over and was like, "sorry, my bad"?

Because I'm obviously talking about hitting a guy in the head...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Plenty of pitchers have winced or apologized after hitting a batter. Now that's the real gentlemanly thing to do, none of this throw at the fucker who hit a home run fake chivalry crap.

Jubs

Wait, how the hell is that giving an edge? What, you like "yo he just cracked my 3rd vertebrae and paralyzed me from the waist down, but next next I see him I'll have a mental edge over him". Is that how it works?

Stop with the hysterics. You make it sound like players get crippled every time a ball gets near them. Horrible, tragic injuries happen, yes, but it's a rare occurrence.

Askani

"With their season on the line, in their last 16 innings, the Royals have 0 runs, 0 walks, and 23 Ks."

Royals still Royalin'

Stop with the hysterics. You make it sound like players get crippled every time a ball gets near them. Horrible, tragic injuries happen, yes, but it's a rare occurrence.
They don't have to happen at all, actually. Pitchers just need to not give up home runs to flamboyant players.

Jubs

They don't have to happen at all, actually. Pitchers just need to not give up home runs to flamboyant players.

You do realize accidents happen even with erratic pitches, right? See: Niese breaking Heyward's jaw. Or when a line drive ricochets off a pitcher's head. Unless you advocate putting players in some sort of box, or have them wear armor head to toe, these things, unfortunately, are going to happen. Thankfully, they rarely do, even when it's intentional.

Pimpwerx

If you need a player celebration after a homerun to make this game more exciting or fun for you, you're watching the wrong sport then, I don't know what to say. And because other sports allow it (and some teams do take exception to players celebrating. Ex: Terrell Owens celebrating on the Dallas Cowboys star, Joakim Noah tired of Lebron's antics) is a poor argument as to why baseball should allow it. "They do it, so we should too." The game is long enough as it is, the last thing we need is some narcissist taking up time basking in the glory of his long ball.

Bull-fucking-shit!

You know, when baseball was really popular? Yeah, the Big Mac/Sosa and Bonds HR chases. You know what they did 60-73 times a year? They watched their monster dongs sail over the fence. No one mentioned this made-up "rules of etiquette" shit because it doesn't exist. You don't want a guy to watch his handiwork? You don't serve up a HR.

Anyone who's played the game understands this is the way it is. You don't give up a HR if you don't want someone watching it fly. The biggest offenders of "rules of etiquette" are the pussy pitchers throwing bean balls. No one gets hurt when someone pimps our their HR trot. People regularly get hurt when they get beaned. Yet, I don't see this same level of outrage over pitchers being douchebags. If grown men can't handle their feelings getting hurt, then maybe they're playing the wrong sport.

Anyway, there's a reason I stopped watching baseball when Barry retired. The game is bush league now. PEACE.

Jubs

You know, when baseball was really popular? Yeah, the Big Mac/Sosa and Bonds HR chases. You know what they did 60-73 times a year? They watched their monster dongs sail over the fence. No one mentioned this made-up "rules of etiquette" shit because it doesn't exist. You don't want a guy to watch his handiwork? You don't serve up a HR.

Anyone who's played the game understands this is the way it is. You don't give up a HR if you don't want someone watching it fly. The biggest offenders of "rules of etiquette" are the pussy pitchers throwing bean balls. No one gets hurt when someone pimps our their HR trot. People regularly get hurt when they get beaned. Yet, I don't see this same level of outrage over pitchers being douchebags. If grown men can't handle their feelings getting hurt, then maybe they're playing the wrong sport.

Big Mac/Sosa and Bonds were exciting because they were chasing after a hallowed record, not because they were flamboyant as hell in their post home-run preening. And for the record, they weren't. Last time I checked, those three weren't staring down the pitcher and mouthing off while they ran the bases.

Anyway, there's a reason I stopped watching baseball when Barry retired. The game is bush league now. PEACE.

I'd stop watching baseball too if I was a fan of the Marlins.

turnbuckle

The fucking guy TALKED SHIT TO EVERYBODY THE ENTIRE WAY AROUND THE BASES. On what fucking planet is that behavior acceptable in anything?

I've never seen such a collection of clueless cunt opinions in this thread ever.

it's amazing, you sound like the guy you're crying about. absolutely pathetic on your part

JDHarbs

Sucks to go out the way we did in these last couple of games, but its been an incredible year. All kinds of hype heading into 2014.

You think Pedro Martinez, Bob Gibson, and Roger Clemens are putting their hands up as a sign of mea culpa to opposing hitters?

You think Pedro Martinez, Bob Gibson, and Roger Clemens are putting their hands up as a sign of mea culpa to opposing hitters?
lol nope, Bob Gibson would hit you if you stepped out of the box a couple of times or "smiled at him funny". Pedro routinely pitched in, but he didn't mind beaning you if he did. And Roger was taking 'roids half the time so who knows what was on his mind.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
64083_441704259938_5084329_n.jpg

Did Zito hit the innings limit that makes his 2014 option automatic?

Believe it was like 200innings, so no where near close, he was around 130

zulux21

so.... these last few days of baseball this season sure would be more exciting without two wild cards.

oh well hopefully the AL wild card race ends up being interesting (aka a 3 way tie finish cause it would be fun :p)

Nope. He was nowhere close.

2011: 53.2
2012: 184.1
2013: 133.0

He needed 600 IP from 2011-2013 for it to vest.

His 2014 option has a $7 million buyout. What the fuck, lol

Thats the club option. We have to pay him that to release him. There was an added thing on contract that if he pitched X innings then his contract would automatically be renewed
Oh ok. Giants would easily go for the buyout. But what do you guys do with Timmy? How many more years he has left

jakncoke

Banned
Pirates-Tigers world series would be something. Leyland facing off against the team he was last responsible for taking to the world series

Code:
MLB standings at the end of play on September 25, 2013

2013 AL EAST CHAMPIONS: Red Sox

2013 AL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS: Tigers

2013 AL WEST CHAMPIONS: Athletics

AL WILD CARD
              W    L    GB    E#
Rays          89   69  +1.0   --
Indians       88   70   ---   --
Rangers       87   71   1.0   4

AL HOME-FIELD ADVANTAGE
              W    L    GB    E#