• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB World Series 2015 |OT| Disrupting the time continuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Mets win, it would be a shift in momentum though, no?

No. If they lost tonight the World Series was almost assuredly over. They had to win to stay alive and they will. That doesn't indicate a trend, and momentum in baseball is all but meaningless.

If the Mets take all three at home, it would be a huge deal.

BumRush

Lol what? There's no such thing as momentum in baseball? You guys are crazy. Streaks? Win, hitting, pitching, etc. have nothing to do with momentum? Come on guys

Momentum is tomorrow's pitcher .. So it's usually Mets.

Momentum is just broadcaster narrative fuel.

We probably have the biggest advantage in the series tomorrow. Chris Young is the definition of a just good enough pitcher. Matz has ridiculous potential, just needs to get right in the head.

BumRush

Frozen...I'm sure you mentioned it over the last few pages but how'd you feel about TC trusting Thor with 2 outs and the bases full?

Frozen...I'm sure you mentioned it over the last few pages but how'd you feel about TC trusting Thor with 2 outs and the bases full?

I just got home about 30 minutes ago.

Honestly Thor was dealing at the time, you just have to bet on his bat at that point, go with your starter while he still has it.

Syrinx

Royals will still have a significant advantage in this series after this game even if the Mets win. The Mets would be back in it at least, but it'll still be KC's series to lose.

Wouldn't really talk about momentum after one win, especially in baseball.

Lol what? There's no such thing as momentum in baseball? You guys are crazy. Streaks? Win, hitting, pitching, etc. have nothing to do with momentum? Come on guys

There isn't. You are talking about individual players having hot out cold streaks.

Teams don't carry momentum from one win to the next. If the Mets score 15 runs tonight, tomorrow they are just as likely to score 2 or 6. Success in a game has little to no impact on success in the next game.

There are lots of statistical analysis articles that show momentum doesn't carry over past standard deviations.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Momentum, heh? Does like homefield matter all that much in baseball? I know it does in football and basketball.

I think it does in this series. You have a Royals team that is relentless in their attack. But in a NL park, there is a break with the pitcher batting.

individual players can get hot/cold, streaky, ect.. but not teams. Again, if momentum for a team was a thing why are the Royals getting thumped two days after destroying the Mets? There is very little evidence of any sort of carry over.

Momentum, heh? Does like homefield matter all that much in baseball? I know it does in football and basketball.

I believe home teams win 54% of the team, so the effect isn't very pronounced like in some leagues. There are exceptions like the Astros who were amazing at home and bad on the road.

There are some advantages in old school parks like Kauffman designed to limit homeruns, reward base hits in the gaps, and emphasis defensive play and speed. Our team was built with it in mind, and it helps them beat out power teams.

Then again, we hit more dingers that series than the Blue Jays, so I don't always know what to expect. Tonight we're getting out-Royaled by the Mets.

BumRush

individual players can get hot/cold, streaky, ect.. but not teams. Again, if momentum for a team was a thing why are the Royals getting thumped two days after destroying the Mets? There is very little evidence of any sort of carry over.

I was simply saying it is a shift in momentum. They were red hot. If they played a game three in KC last night, it's more likely the Mets bats stay asleep.

Just like how the mets, murphy, etc. were RED HOT throughout the Cubs series and after 5 days of rest, they cooled off. To me that is a momentum change.

I was simply saying it is a shift in momentum. They were red hot. If they played a game three in KC last night, it's more likely the Mets bats stay asleep.

Just like how the mets, murphy, etc. were RED HOT throughout the Cubs series and after 5 days of rest, they cooled off. To me that is a momentum change.

There isn't really any evidence that this is how it works though. Like, if the Royals came out tomorrow night and hit the shit out the ball would anybody be surprised? The Mets weren't really "red hot", Murphy was. And Murphy could have cooled off because of the 5 days rest, or because the Royals pitchers figured him out, or maybe his hot streak just ended just like it does all the time during a regular season. The postseason is way too small of a sample size to really make any of these kinds of determinations.

So if the Mets go ice cold tomorrow night, what is your explanation? Because they are just as likely to do that as not. KC was hitting everything the first two games, now they are in check. Tomorrow, they could go nuts.

I'm done arguing. I feel like there is such a thing as momentum, a couple of you don't. That's fine.

That's fine. "Momentum" as you probably see it though it just a way to explain what is really a flukey, unexplainable, unpredictable game. The best hitters in the world basically only get a hit 30% of the time. You can't bank on that.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I don't give a fuck what Madson just did. Hes fucking terrible and we're all lesser men for having watched him pitch.

I'm done arguing. I feel like there is such a thing as momentum, a couple of you don't. That's fine.

More like you feel there is such a thing as momentum, statisticians have already proved there isn't. The very best teams lose a third of their games. The best hitters miss seven out of ten. You never know what you'll get from one night to the next.

BumRush

More like you feel there is such a thing as momentum, statisticians have already proved there isn't. The very best teams lose a third of their games. The best hitters miss seven out of ten. You never know what you'll get from one night to the next.

Lol I said I was done :(

Loco4Coco

tumblr_nvb7o2xbb51qgjv49o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom