• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB World Series 2015 |OT| Disrupting the time continuum

Status
Not open for further replies.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That was the only bush league move of the night. It accomplished nothing, and Thor still got cracked for three runs. In fact, the Royals had six hits off him in two innings, so it backfired.

What happened tonight is the Mets remembered how to hit. If you want to credit that to a loser move by your pitcher, that's fine. But the Mets are too good a team to be doing that.

All the Royals are bitching about it in the post game presser, so yea he got into their heads.

When asked about the first pitch, Noah: "That's my plate out there, not theirs."

People wanna make it a bush league move, but a little chin music to show guys that part of that plate is mine too isn't trying to hit a dude. It's to impose your will on them, rather than the other way around.

Mifune

Mehmber
Pitch wasn't even that far inside. He wasn't throwing at him. To call it "unprofessional" like Rios did makes me lose respect for him. I can guarantee you no Mets player would be whining about a pitch like that.

JDHarbs

Pitch wasn't even that far inside. He wasn't throwing at him. To call it "unprofessional" like Rios did makes me lose respect for him. I can guarantee you no Mets player would be whining about a pitch like that.
Every team would have at least one player say something about it. Guys are always going to stand up for their teammates like that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Good, send a message. They've been to hot/comfortable at the plate. Seems to gotten to a few of them too.

People wanna make it a bush league move, but a little chin music to show guys that part of that plate is mine too isn't trying to hit a dude. It's to impose your will on them, rather than the other way around.

Yup, I see no problem with it.

This is starting to scare me now. What was the margin on game 4?

Mets won 6-2.

Mifune

Mehmber
Every team would have at least one player say something about it. Guys are always going to stand up for their teammates like that.

Stand up for him? The pitch wasn't even that close. It was well over his head and a little bit inside.

There's no reason to stand up for a player who didn't even get hit. Stand up for what? His hurt feelings?

I have no problem with Royals players or fans being upset with it, that's just the nature of the game and being biased. But as a pitcher, that's a standard starter for quite a few games. Especially with a contact team like the Royals.

Was it even that far inside? It just looked high .
It wasn't that inside. If it was brought down it almost would have been over the plate. It flew over the umps left shoulder.

It only looked bad because the batter fell down trying to get out of the way. He could have leaned his head back and it wouldn't have even been close to hitting him. Not that I blame him for trying to get as far out of the way from a speeding fastball as he can.

JDHarbs

Stand up for him? The pitch wasn't even that close. It was well over his head and a little bit inside.

There's no reason to stand up for a player who didn't even get hit. Stand up for what? His hurt feelings?
It has more to do with how it looked to them from the dugout than where it actually landed. Players see a pitch high and their teammate duck like that, and they're going to want to know what's up. It's just the nature of competitive team-based sports to not back down to intimidation regardless of how much it is.

I have no problem with Royals players or fans being upset with it, that's just the nature of the game and being biased. But as a pitcher, that's a standard starter for quite a few games. Especially with a contact team like the Royals.
Agreed.

Mifune

Mehmber
It has more to do with how it looked to them from the dugout than where it actually landed. Players see a pitch high and their teammate duck like that, and they're going to want to know what's up. It's just the nature of competitive team-based sports to not back down to intimidation regardless of how much it is.

The reaction in the moment was totally cool. I'm talking about complaining to the press afterward. Hell, the Mets players did less complaining when Utley took out Tejada.

JDHarbs

The reaction in the moment was totally cool. I'm talking about complaining to the press afterward. Hell, the Mets players did less complaining when Utley took out Tejada.
The Royals are very tightly-knit team. They all went through the minors together, and have their teammates' backs on everything regardless of how big it is. This is part of the reason why it was so easy to get them riled up from HBPs earlier this year.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Royals are very tightly-knit team. They all went through the minors together, and have their teammates' backs on everything regardless of how big it is. This is part of the reason why it was so easy to get them riled up from HBPs earlier this year.

Well nobody was hit here.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
“If they have a problem with me throwing inside, they can meet me 60ft 6 inches away" - Noah

I love you, Noah.

JDHarbs

Well nobody was hit here.
Nobody had to be. The pitch was outside enough not to hit anyone, but it was still clearly an act of intimidation which is enough to push the Royals to call him out for it.

It probably brought back a lot of emotion from the beaning earlier this year as well. Hence the reaction.

6 innings, 7 hits, 3 ER, 4.05 ERA. I don't think the inside pitch accomplished much, Thor. Your team's batters came alive, and that has nothing to do with you chucking the ball up and in at a dude.

I do like the call out saying they can rush the mound at him. Really? I watched Nolan Ryan take care of his business on the mound, and you sir are no Nolan Ryan.

6 innings, 7 hits, 3 ER, 4.05 ERA. I don't think the inside pitch accomplished much, Thor. Your team's batters came alive, and that has nothing to do with you chucking the ball up and in at a dude.

I do like the call out saying they can rush the mound at him. Really? I watched Nolan Ryan take care of his business on the mound, and you sir are no Nolan Ryan.

Bruh come on, it clearly had an impact. A lot of those hits were weak bleeders or bad bloops. It clearly had an impact in that they're still talking about it and it's in their heads. He's saying if they have a problem that they can talk to him about it instead of saying how dirty it was or wasn't to the media.

This is a kid who hit Carlos Gomez this year and it shook him so bad he apologized to him on the field, in the locker room, and on twitter. Thor pitched a pretty dang good game. His control of the inside part of the plate was part of that.

Bruh come on, it clearly had an impact. A lot of those hits were weak bleeders or bad bloops. It clearly had an impact in that they're still talking about it and it's in their heads. He's saying if they have a problem that they can talk to him about it instead of saying how dirty it was or wasn't to the media.

This is a kid who hit Carlos Gomez this year and it shook him so bad he apologized to him on the field, in the locker room, and on twitter. Thor pitched a pretty dang good game. His control of the inside part of the plate was part of that.

This is like the momentum conversation all over again. There is zero way to tell if those Mets ABs were due to a pitcher being "in their head" or, you know, just because baseball players don't get hits 70-80% of the time.

This is like the momentum conversation all over again. There is zero way to tell if those Mets ABs were due to a pitcher being "in their head" or, you know, just because baseball players don't get hits 70-80% of the time.

I'm not saying he's controlling their minds. But a guy getting dusted can have an impact. I'm using the terminology in their heads because it's a common sports colloquialism and I use it all the time. It had an impact by making them wary of the inside half of the plate, he pushed guys back and induced weak contact more than deGrom and Harvey did.

It obviously didn't change the game, it's impact is more what's happened after the game than what it did during it. But it did have an impact.

Yeah, no way you're selling me on that. The players talked about it after the game because it was bush league, unnecessary, and could have hurt a dude. It didn't stop them from knocking six hits in the first two innings, which is the most for an away team in the World Series in 20+ years. They feasted off Thor easily the first two innings. Yordano just pitched poorly and the Mets clobbered him even more. That's baseball.

LOL @ you saying he's saying they can talk to him about it. Those were childish fighting words from him. "Come see me on the mound if you don't like it." Bush league, machismo crap in baseball.

There wasn't intimidation, and it didn't stop them from crowding the plate. It was a stupid move, but Thor at least had enough control not to hit him so that's fine.

It wasn't bush league. It was a foot above his head. It was meant to dust him and impose his will. Pitchers do this ALL THE TIME.

To quote the immortal Dock Ellis: "Part of that fucking plate is mine too"

If Yordano Ventura retaliates with that exact same pitch against Syndergaard in the third inning, the benches clear. Then we have to deal with chippy, idiotic posturing for the rest of the series.

There has been zero bad blood up until now. Nobody has done anything cheap or provocative.

If Yordano Ventura retaliates with that exact same pitch against Syndergaard in the third inning, the benches clear. Then we have to deal with chippy, idiotic posturing for the rest of the series.

There has been zero bad blood up until now. Nobody has done anything cheap or provocative.

That exact same pitch that was a foot above his head?

Should guys not throw brushbacks? That's all the pitch was, Chin music. A burshback pitch.

Mifune

Mehmber

No way both benches clear over a purpose pitch. Are you serious?

We won! Hmph... We tie it up tomorrow and I might show my face around here again. Thor threw that hammer first pitch. Then told an entire team, come at me bro. #LGM

Edit: I guess Wright earned his check tonight.

Bush league? Really?

KFAlg7P.jpg

Yes, just like your anti-Hosmer gibberish!

No way both benches clear over a purpose pitch. Are you serious?

Have you been watching this postseason? Teams were clearing benches after their opponents tried to CALM THEIR ANTAGONISTIC HOME CROWD.

There was some barking going on after that pitch. If Ventura returns one of his own, the benches clear there and the ump gives out a warning. No question.

That exact same pitch that was a foot above his head?

Should guys not throw brushbacks? That's all the pitch was, Chin music. A burshback pitch.

The pitch was six inches from his head, at most. It was 98 miles per hour. Watch the damn replay that was just posted and pause it at 20 seconds. No need to deviate from the facts here.
http://m.mlb.com/video/v526920883/w...t-pitch-strays-high/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

Six inches to a foot, it doesn't matter, it was still far enough above his head that he's need to jump upwards to have it hit him. That's the point.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yes, just like your anti-Hosmer gibberish!

Hey, just because the league loves him, his teammates think he is the greatest thing ever, and he saves orphans from burning buildings in his spare time, doesn't mean I have to like the dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom