• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

Too bad Overeem tweeted he is only staying at Mike's Gym for a couple weeks, then returning back to Blackzilians. I doubt he can make any significant progress in such a short time span, and returning to Blackzilians will probably fuck up anything he could have potentially learned at Mike's Gym.
He should learn not to parrot Anderson Silva. If fighters can get one thing into their heads - unless they are Anderson Silva they should not fight like Anderson Silva. Even Silva only starts dodging, ducking and leaving his chin out when he's moving in for the finish. He doesn't start the round with his hands down, chin in front of his opponent asking to be KO'd.

One thing that made the Diaz loss so sweet to savor was just how overconfident he was going into the fight. He was already talking about his move to WW, that his teammates were going to win and how the division was cleaned out for him. Then he eats a few more kicks and punches that he wouldn't have otherwise if he respected his opponent and didn't habitually drop his hands and leave his head unprotected.

His corner throwing in the towel was just the cherry on top.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fighters trying to mimic Silva are funny. Uriah was the funniest of them all though.
That shit pissed me off so much.

In other news, Helwani says Nick threw in the towel for Nate:

wn4A88n.jpg

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
UFC pay grade scale. How's it work?

UFC on Fox 7 Salaries

Benson Henderson: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)
Gilbert Melendez: $175,000

Daniel Cormier $126,000 (includes $63,000 win bonus)
Frank Mir: $200,000

Josh Thomson: $95,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
Nate Diaz: $15,000

Matt Brown: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
Jordan Mein: $16,000

Chad Mendes: $56,000 (includes $28,000 win bonus)
Darren Elkins: $24,000

Francis Carmont: $38,000 (includes $19,000 win bonus)
Lorenz Larkin: $23,000

Myles Jury: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
Ramsey Nijem: $14,000

Joseph Benavidez: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus)
Darren Uyenoyama: $12,000

T.J. Dillashaw: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus)
Hugo Viana : $8,000

Jorge Masvidal: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
Tim Means: $10,000

Anthony Njokuani: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus)
Roger Bowling: $12,000

Yoel Romero: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
Clifford Starks: $8,000

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Nate Diaz makes 15/15 but Carmont makes 19/19? They really do have the most curious payscale in sports (entertainment).

Holy shit I thought that the TUF winners got paid more than normal. Hell, look at what Rashad gets. 15 & 15 for Nate with the history he's had with the UFC is ridiculous.

No wonder he doesn't have Cesar managing him anymore.

Or perhaps the majority of his fight purse comes in the form of pounds upon pounds of weed.

muddream

Banned
Malki Kawa just said on the MMA Hour that the guys that are at the top of cards are getting paid big money even if the published contract payouts don't indicate that. Nate is probably so used to being on main cards or headlining minor cards that him and Cesar never even thought about renegotiating that old TUF contract.

Heel

Yeah, there is no way Nate signed a worse deal heading into a title fight. He made 37/37 at UFC 141. Take the disclosed payroll with a grain of salt.

muddream

Banned
I'm giving Uriah one last chance at hooking up with Firas "Turd Whisperer" Zahabi before I hop off the bandwagon, can't be a fairweather idiot.

Welcome to the 9-5 life.

it's 13-22 which is even worse.

i'm not even done with training, we sat 3 hours with a "veteran" to observe how they work. i got a dry looking woman, late 30, early 40s, i ask her how long she's been there, she says "4 years", i say "you started late here, hein?", she tells me "'im 23"......

...holy shit, that job, literally, sucked the liforce out of that 23 years old. her eyes were fuckin soulless, a void, like the ones on a shark.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I can't hear your bitching since it's being muffled by the fake tits shoved in my face. But yeah, call center work sucks hard.

Lightweight/Featherweight title decisions bitched about in recent years that the judges got right:

Penn-Edgar I Should've been a draw
Edgar - Maynard II The result was correct
Henderson - Edgar I The result was correct
Henderson - Edgar II Should've been a draw
Aldo - Edgar The result was correct
Henderson - Melendez I still need to see this. It's the only fight I missed from the main card except for round 1 which Gil won. As soon as I was going in to work, a customer was leaving and I overheard him say Gil should have won.
I'm not afraid to give draws in narrowly close fights. Some might see it as a cop-out but if two guys fought equally, then why not? Nowhere in the Unified Rules does it say draws are not allowed, it's just a stupid unofficial rule like "no 10-8s unless one guy almost dies in a round" and no 10-10s.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I've heard horror stories about sound editing.

Editing in general isn't as easy as people would think. I dont think its particularly soul crushing though. It can just get tedious. However arguably the most miserable grown man i ever met is a successful editor. So I could be wrong..

Sonnen selling them wolf tickets, "As great as Jon Jones is, I don't think he realizes how good he is. He could beat Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson at the same time. News flash buddy, you are the best."

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sonnen selling them wolf tickets, "As great as Jon Jones is, I don't think he realizes how good he is. He could beat Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson at the same time. News flash buddy, you are the best."

Is this the opposite of wolf tickets? Sheep tickets, I guess?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The only reason I want Aldo to win more than Pettis is so he can be more easily convinced to move up to LW and allow some of the former LW contenders a legit chance at an elusive championship belt. Simultaneously, I'd like to see him struggle as many of the LW champs have to. Despite gassing in later rounds, FW is still too easy for him given his current track record.

Here's how I see it. Dana has said that if Pettis beats Aldo he'll have to stay at FW, which will probably be 1-3 fights with one being an Aldo rematch - if Pettis wins those he'll get a LW title shot. Dana apparently said (putting a lot of stock in empty words here, I know) in the last media scrum that despite demanding it, if Aldo wins he's not going straight up to LW. I imagine he's waiting to see if Maynard gets a shot and wins, in which case he might hold off on moving up until the belt changes hands.

Well, there is only a 10lb difference in the former. If it were up to me, I'd merge them into a singular 150lbs division. The resulting division would be the craziest shit in the world.
Yep. It's just interesting that the smaller fighters are overrepresented at the top in both LHW and LW: even BJ would have been an average FW.

Oh I get it.

Uriah Hall was his preparation, now that he saw it works he's applying it to Bones.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
catching up on badmma - holy shit @ shammar's ass whoppin and the late stoppage. so.much.blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom