• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this one on for size:

@danawhite the judge who scored it for Gil, wade vierra is a Cesar Gracie JJ affiliate/student? How is that legal? #ufc #ufconfox7

CSAC judge Wade Vierra runs an affiliate school of Team Cesar Gracie, and Gil Melendez is a Team Cesar Gracie brown belt, as confirmed by a brief google search.

SMH.

They should've used CSAC favorite Cecil "You Can't Win A Fight With Leg Kicks" Peoples instead.

Instant 50-45 Melendez there.

Also, fuck Francis Carmont and his coach Firas "The Real Sport Killer" Zahabi.

Dysun

Try this one on for size:

@danawhite the judge who scored it for Gil, wade vierra is a Cesar Gracie JJ affiliate/student? How is that legal? #ufc #ufconfox7

CSAC judge Wade Vierra runs an affiliate school of Team Cesar Gracie, and Gil Melendez is a Team Cesar Gracie brown belt, as confirmed by a brief google search.

SMH.

Yikes, talk about opening a can of worms. How the fuck CSAC?

Heel

I'm glad Gil had a chance to prove he's worth his salt to all of these armchair experts acting like he wasn't even in the top 10. So many people acting like Bendo was gonna just go out there and steamroll him, and now half the people who watched the fight think he won. Watch the post-fight scrum with Dana and about everyone in the media chimes in saying they thought Gil took the fight.

Can't wait for that salty runback.

TheNatural

My Member!
Lightweight/Featherweight title decisions bitched about in recent years that the judges got right:

Penn-Edgar I
Edgar - Maynard II
Henderson - Edgar I
Henderson - Edgar II
Aldo - Edgar
Henderson - Melendez

If someone doesn't like the champ, then go out and finish them. Stop trying to win tradeoffs, step back and spar for two minutes, and then cry after the fight.

Heel

tumblr_llgaeahjah1qiyqyfo1_500.gif

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
People said the same thing about Diaz v. Condit. Talking about Diaz won that fight. They were wrong then too.
Diaz & Melendez 1, 2, 5.

Lightweight/Featherweight title decisions bitched about in recent years that the judges got right:

Penn-Edgar I Penn
Edgar - Maynard II Draw was the right score for that fight even if it didn't work out round by round
Henderson - Edgar I Henderson won clearly
Henderson - Edgar II Frankie probably should have won
Aldo - Edgar Aldo won clearly
Henderson - Melendez Judging as a whole I think Bendo scraped it. Round by round though it's stupidly close

If someone doesn't like the champ, then go out and finish them. Stop trying to win tradeoffs, step back and spar for two minutes, and then cry after the fight.

Agree, but it applies to the champions as well. Henderson and Edgar in particular, but even Aldo is guilty of backing off and coasting in the later rounds. It's fine when your opponent is a Urijah Faber who should be confined to a wheelchair, but I have a feeling it might cost him against Pettis.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Who bitched about Aldo/Edgar? I'm probably Edgar's biggest fucking fan and even I thought he lost 3 of those rounds pretty clearly.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Anyone seen pictures of animals that live in chernobyl? Im pretty sure that wolves and fish arent supposed to be that damn huge.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Who bitched about Aldo/Edgar? I'm probably Edgar's biggest fucking fan and even I thought he lost 3 of those rounds pretty clearly.

Have you at any point referred to the takedown Edgar landed in the 4th as a 'brutal slam'? If not I'm afraid you may have to turn in your Fe Fan Club membership card.

MjFrancis

I think this every time. Sure, I bitch at the champ for coasting, but ultimately I blame the challenger. No one wants a milk toast, lukewarm, champion of sparring practice. If both fighters are going to bring that to the table, why give the new guy the seat? The old guy can handle that job by himself apparently.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Anyone seen pictures of animals that live in chernobyl? Im pretty sure that wolves and fish arent supposed to be that damn huge.

I'm fascinated with the whole incident.

That crazy Englishman on River Monsters was fishing in the cooling pond last week on his show.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I do think Aldo's coasting (read: gassing) in the later rounds is going to bite him in the ass eventually. He's so far above everyone at 145 though it's tough to see him losing.

I would be interested to see him against Bendo, who's a big ass wrestler with tons of cardio.

MjFrancis

I do think Aldo's coasting (read: gassing) in the later rounds is going to bite him in the ass eventually. He's so far above everyone at 145 though it's tough to see him losing.

I would be interested to see him against Bendo, who's a big ass wrestler with tons of cardio.
If he beats Pettis that's two top 5 LW's under his belt at FW. At that point I'd think he'd want to move up to LW and be done with it. His cardio at 155 would probably be better, but I don't know how much better.

Guys like Benson and Melendez have so much cardio and so much sparring in them that you could probably run them for ten rounds and get just as contentious a decision as ever.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
If he beats Pettis that's two top 5 LW's under his belt at FW. At that point I'd think he'd want to move up to LW and be done with it. His cardio at 155 would probably be better, but I don't know how much better.

It's a little ridiculous that the best 3 fighters at FW (Aldo, Pettis & Edgar) could easily be top 3 (or at least 3 of the top 5) at LW. A bit like how Machida, Hendo, Rashad and possibly Shogun could all make MW without dropping much muscle (Lyoto and Dan wouldn't have to lose any).

Afrikan

All that matters scrub pack is 0-4 in UFC championship matches.

"All that matters" is this small team who grew together have each made their way into title shots in the top MMA organization in the world.

Jake, Nate, Nick, and now Gil.

not too many people in the world can say they have come that close to their Ultimate Goal, be it in sports....business...politics...etc.

"All that matters" is this small team who grew together have each made their way into title shots in the top MMA organization in the world.

not too many people in the world can say they have come that close to their Ultimate Goal, be it in sports....business...politics...etc.

No one cares about losers in sports. Quick (don't use google) who was on the Jazz in 98?

MjFrancis

The Buffalo Bills of MMA.

A More Normal Bird said:
It's a little ridiculous that the best 3 fighters at FW (Aldo, Pettis & Edgar) could easily be top 3 (or at least 3 of the top 5) at LW. A bit like how Machida, Hendo, Rashad and possibly Shogun could all make MW without dropping much muscle (Lyoto and Dan wouldn't have to lose any).
The only reason I want Aldo to win more than Pettis is so he can be more easily convinced to move up to LW and allow some of the former LW contenders a legit chance at an elusive championship belt. Simultaneously, I'd like to see him struggle as many of the LW champs have to. Despite gassing in later rounds, FW is still too easy for him given his current track record.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Well, there is only a 10lb difference in the former. If it were up to me, I'd merge them into a singular 150lbs division. The resulting division would be the craziest shit in the world.

MW has been a dumping ground for mediocre LHWs since forever. With the aforementioned 10lb difference I expect to see a lot more dudes at lightweight join Siver, Edgar, Guida, et al in making the drop.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

mckayla-is-not-impressed_454x374.jpg

MjFrancis

Well, there is only a 10lb difference in the former. If it were up to me, I'd merge them into a singular 150lbs division. The resulting division would be the craziest shit in the world.

MW has been a dumping ground for mediocre LHWs since forever. With the aforementioned 10lb difference I expect to see a lot more dudes at lightweight join Siver, Edgar, Guida, et al in making the drop.
In my retooling of the UFC's weight classes I would use something like the following:

Lightweight (150lbs)
Welterweight (170lbs)
Middleweight (190lbs)
Light Heavyweight (215lbs)
Heavyweight (265lbs)

I wouldn't be against HW becoming an Open weight class, but that's even less likely to happen that this scheme here. LW works as you describe it, and moving MW a little further from WW and LHW would have it's intended effect of funneling smaller LHW's into MW. LHW work probably work a lot better for Jon Jones even though smaller heavies would finally cut weight to compete. LHW is also practically made for guys like Rumble, lol.

In my retooling of the UFC's weight classes I would use something like the following:

Lightweight (150lbs)
Welterweight (170lbs)
Middleweight (190lbs)
Heavyweight (265lbs)

I wouldn't be against HW becoming an Open weight class, but that's even less likely to happen that this scheme here. LW works as you describe it, and moving MW a little further from WW and LHW would have it's intended effect of funneling smaller LHW's into MW. LHW work probably work a lot better for Jon Jones even though smaller heavies would finally cut weight to compete. LHW is also practically made for guys like Rumble, lol.

I like your style

Bantamweight - (130lbs) Merge Bantam/Fly and the rumored 115lb division.

Having HW be an open division would be great too.

MjFrancis

I like your style

Bantamweight - (130lbs) Merge Bantam/Fly and the rumored 115lb division.

Having HW be an open division would be great too.
It's easy to forget about the little guys! Sure, throw bantamweight in there. Again, it's a 20lbs difference, so there's no question where a fighter belongs. Moving up or down requires some hefty body recompositions this way. These changes are significant and certainly not the at-will decisions as they work now. Currently the way most fighters can move between LW and FW is out of sorts.

So athletic

Lightweight (150lbs)
Welterweight (170lbs)
Middleweight (190lbs)
Heavyweight (265lbs)

I like this.

I got some shirts from my brother that may beat Tap Out, Affliction and all them shit.

He was over in Afghanistan fixing planes and for military shirts that are like MMA ones with stuff like "Kill em all, let god sort em out".

"Thanks for these shirts I will never wear in public ever."

Oh shit Cheesy check it out ... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=70504

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom