• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Supposedly Jones called out Gustafsson and wants that matchup next to prove that he doesn't win only because of his length/reach advantage.

Caspel

? he still has 7+ inches on Gus.

Im confused, too. Perhaps he doesn't know the stats on Gus.

Jones Wants Gus

"I fought Lyoto Machida before," he said. "And I fight for the love of the sport, I fight for the people that support me. But I also fight to prove critics wrong. A lot of people believe I've been successful because I appear to be larger than my opponents. With Alexander Gustafsson, that would be no more. So Alexander Gustafsson, a guy who is 6-foot-6 or 6-5, big long legs arms, long legs, that’d be great. and that’s who I’d love to fight next."

dream

"Because I appear to be larger than my opponents?" That's as absurd as Rush claiming it would be easier for him to fight at 55 than 85. Bones Jones doesn't have a foot to stand on here.

dream

I agree. It seems like a strange time for him to toe the line of not actually being an oversized light heavyweight.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Agreed. Let's judge them not by their age but on solely on their ability as athletes.
sado-maso6iqr3.gif

Heel

What can I say friends, a gentleman always honors his bets. I played with fire and got burned to a degree which takes exactly one month to heal. Sadly, the scar will always remain.

I agree. It seems like a strange time for him to toe the line of not actually being an oversized light heavyweight.

But Gustaffson is taller than he is. Even if the heights are fudged, he'd still be fighting a guy that's roughly his height. Yeah he has a reach advantage but that advantage is even bigger when he's fighting shorter opponents. He can't manufacture a guy that has the same exact dimensions so Gus is the closest thing he can get in the LHW division.

But Gustaffson is taller than he is. Even if the heights are fudged, he'd still be fighting a guy that's roughly his height. Yeah he has a reach advantage but that advantage is even bigger when he's fighting shorter opponents. He can't manufacture a guy that has the same exact dimensions so Gus is the closest thing he can get in the LHW division.

Since when is Gus a skilled fighter thought? The guy is a scrapper that's it.

Since when is Gus a skilled fighter thought? The guy is a scrapper that's it.

I'm not saying it's an even fight and not even Jones is saying that. He's exclusively talking about his height advantage (and kind of fudging the whole reach thing at the same time). I agree that Gus isn't at the level he should be yet to have a solid chance but nobody who isn't a phenom themselves will have a chance to work themselves to that level because Jones has emptied the division so quickly. Anyone who starts to show a shred of talent will get fed to him because there's no one else for him to fight in the meantime.

Caspel

If Mousasi does in fact drop down to middleweight, then the light-heavy division will lose another potential match-up for Jones that isn't a rematch.

I still believe the UFC should start bringing in a few prospects, welcome back Rumble Johnson, and run a new Ultimate Fighter centered on the division to give it an injection of new blood. Several of the fighters in the division are on their way out (Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wanderlei, Lil Nog, and Griffin if he continues to lose ambition to fight).

I'm pretty sure Griffin is on that retirement tour already anyways. But you're right that the division needs new blood. The problem is, there isn't enough talented new blood at that weight class and the lack of competitiveness at the top end of it doesn't allow guys to develop before they get their shot.

Caspel

I'm pretty sure Griffin is on that retirement tour already anyways. But you're right that the division needs new blood. The problem is, there isn't enough talented new blood at that weight class and the lack of competitiveness at the top end of it doesn't allow guys to develop before they get their shot.

The four "prospects" in the UFC right now are: Gustafsson (26), Teixeira (33, if you call him a prospect), Davis (28), and Ryan Bader (turning 30 in a few weeks).

Mousasi isn't a prospect since he has proven himself to fight at high levels when catapulted to the main-event and co-main events of cards. He is only 27. Anthony Johnson is only 29 and Tyrone Sp*ong is 27. There's several LHW's outside of UFC (Błachowicz, Vassell, Nunes, and Stringer) on adequate winning streaks to be considered for the prelims to see if they can compete in the Octagon at the next level of fighting.

Still, I think the division is boring right now since it's mostly rematches. Outside of Teixeira and Gustafsson, I don't have much excitement for match-ups as of late.

But how many of those names actually stand a legitimate chance against Jones? Even the up and comers will get fed to him too soon, which screws their ability to build a fanbase for a clean matchup. Barring an unexpected win, they'll all lose to Jones the first time around.

dream

I agree with you both. I don't think any of the top "contenders" have the potential to make Bones Jones feel the agony of defeet.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's tough to find prospects at 185 and above and even tougher to find ones with championship potential. You put together another TUF season and at best you find another Ryan Bader. Not much you can do about it to be honest.

TheChits

Apparently they are looking at Maia vs. Koscheck for the Weidman/Silva card. Not a fan of that fight :(
Edit: Whoopsie I meant the Aldo/Pettis card

dream

I think Bader has improved by fighting higher quality opponents. It's like steel sharpening steel. Conversely, I think Bones Jones may have shot himself in the foot by fighting subpar opponents.

Middleweight Anderson Silva (c) vs. Chris Weidman
Featherweight Chan Sung Jung vs. Ricardo Lamas
Middleweight Mark Muñoz vs. Tim Boetsch
Featherweight Frankie Edgar vs. Charles Oliveira
Featherweight Dennis Siver vs. Cub Swanson

Preliminary card
Middleweight Tim Kennedy vs. Roger Gracie
Middleweight Chris Leben vs. Andrew Craig
Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs. Brian Melancon
Heavyweight Dave Herman vs. Shane del Rosario
Lightweight John Makdessi vs. Edson Barboza
Lightweight Kazuki Tokudome vs. Norman Parke
Yep. Some good fighters, but bad matchups IMO.

dream

Well, I think Lyoto has more power behind his strikes when he's not doing his princess ballerina bullshit. If he actually came to fight, I think he could potentially catch Bones Jones flat-footed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom