• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Friends our sport is a damn mess. Sakakibara needs to find some yakuza big wig with deep pockets and SDW. Dana and co have done nothing but shit the bed since they put a bullet in pride's brain. Shale alone proved that one semi articulate individual can talk his way into not one but two title shots. This ranking system they got going on is as deep as a puddle too.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Friends our sport is a damn mess.

Most accurate statement in OT4. I can't remember the last time I was excited for a card. I think I feel the same way about Ultimate as drm feels about video games.

Yes, I do blame Uncle Dana and Joe Silver for my apathy.

dream

At this point, I'm hoping for some sort of undercard stratification that would result in some ad hoc gentlemen's agreement between all the prelim fighters to work fights and split the money 50/50.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
There's no hype. Aside from a few grudge matches here and there Ultimate is a fucking snoozefest. They need to get their production game up. Their promos have been better lately but Joe silver needs to make two things clear. Come to fight and learn to promote yourself. They need to drop half their roster and send a clear message.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's no hype. Aside from a few grudge matches here and there Ultimate is a fucking snoozefest. They need to get their production game up. Their promos have been better lately but Joe silver needs to make two things clear. Come to fight and learn to promote yourself. They need to drop half their roster and send a clear message.

And you guys are wanting all american bore Chris Wideman to dethrone the GOAT next week.

dream

And you guys are wanting all american bore Chris Wideman to dethrone the GOAT next week.

To be fair, none of them have actually watched the Wildman fight. They're all just buying the Zuffa/Sien hypejob from stuff like this:

--UFC sent out a press release on Silva vs. Weidman. It had quotes from Chael Sonnen, Ronda Rousey, Matt Serra (a hardly unbiased source), Miesha Tate, GSP, Kenny Floiran, Michael Bisping, Gray Maynard, Daniel Cormier, Frank Mir, Alan Belcher, Roger Gracie, TJ Grant, Luke Rockhold, John Moraga, Rick Story, Johny Hendricks and Dominick Cruz.

Sonnen picks Weidman
Rousey doesn't pick
Serra picks Weidman of course
Tate doesn't answer past saying Weidman has a chance
GSP picks Weidman of course
Florian hints at Weidman but doesn't outright say it
Bisping doesn't say Weidman but says it can happen
Maynard doesn't pick but said Weidman is the only one in the division who can beat Silva
Cormier picks Weidman
Mir picks Weidman
Belcher picks Weidman but waffles
Gracie picks Weidman
Grant picks Weidman slightly
Rockhold said it's 50/50
Moraga says Weidman
Rick Story picks Weidman
Hendricks doesn't really give a pick
Cruz picks Weidman

Funny how that goes. You'd think it was worked.

Heel

UFC has done a poor job of building up Weidman for this matchup. There is zero buzz among the casuals for this PPV.

Between the fraud
And the God
Between the technicality
And the scrapping
Falls The Spider

For Thine is the Ultimate

Between the debut
And the retirement
Between the ducking
And the hib injury
Falls The Spider

Careers are very long

Between the legacy
And the lies
Between the steroids
And the piss test
Between the unstoppable
And the can
Falls The Spider

For Thine is the Ultimate

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the web of lies and deceit ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Heel

Remember, it's not trolling if you believe it's true. Hook me up to that computer like George Zimmerman and, much like George Zimmerman, I will pass with flying colors.

Christopher Weidman will beat Anderson Silver.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
BOIYxXiCMAAU-bv.jpg:large

I wonder if they have their own version of shitbag Colin Cowherd.

Heel

I will go as far as to say if Anderson Silva beats Christopher Weidman he is the greatest UFC fighter of all time, ranking only behind Feh-dor, Igor Vovchanchyn, and Robert Burneika globally. If not, I would say 'Anderson Silver finally fought someone who was good and lost.' and laugh at his misfortune as people suddenly think he just got old. There is no in between, honestly.

I will go as far as to say if Anderson Silva beats Christopher Weidman he is the greatest UFC fighter of all time, ranking only behind Feh-dor, Igor Vovchanchyn, and Robert Burneika globally. If not, I would say 'Anderson Silver finally fought someone who was good and lost.' and laugh at his misfortune as people suddenly think he just got old. There is no in between, honestly.

Jon Jones is already a greater fighter than Silva ever will be.

If Silva beats Wideman, the alltime UFC ranks look like this:

1) Bones Jones
2) Tito Ortiz
3) Royce Gracie
4) Anderson Silva
5) Randy Couture
6) Cain Velasquez
7) Chuck Liddell
8) GSP
9) Frank Mir
10) Matt Hughes

Heel

You're right Ninja, I did not give much thought to my previous statement. In addition to your list, I would rank Chuck and Matt Hughes (who Anderson would have absolutely lost to if he had not ducked him at UFC 36) above him, win or lose. I'm sorry for the error.

Guru-Guru

Banned
So I never have really understood what Reddit is about and decide to check out their mixed martial arts section...The first thread I read has a poster who thinks that Stefan Struve would beat Jones at HW because his striking is on a "whole different level than Jones." Stefan fucking Struve.

So I never have really understood what Reddit is about and decide to check out their mixed martial arts section...The first thread I read has a poster who thinks that Stefan Struve would beat Jones at HW because his striking is on a "whole different level than Jones." Stefan fucking Struve.

well, that's something.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Stefan Struve is the most entertaining fighter to watch.

Quite simply because you witness 1-2 minutes of him displaying that he's actually learnt from his mistakes, then he gets hit, falls back on his previous mistake-prone style of fighting, and gets annihilated in spectacular fashion.

It's incredibly frustrating really, because if Struve were to go a proper MMA gym with proper coaches, he'd actually be forced to learn how to fight at a high level, use his full potential, and get the "How To Fight Someone Smaller Than You 101" drilled that far into his head he wouldn't be able to eat corn flakes without jabbing it first.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Stefan Struve is the most entertaining fighter to watch.

Quite simply because you witness 1-2 minutes of him displaying that he's actually learnt from his mistakes, then he gets hit, falls back on his previous style of fighting, and gets annihilated in spectacular fashion.

It's incredibly frustrating really, because if Struve were to go a proper MMA gym with proper coaches, he'd get the "How To Fight Someone Smaller Than You 101" drilled that far into his head he wouldn't be able to eat corn flakes without jabbing it first.
Before Struve's fight with Hunt I was watching a taped replay of that Glory tournament that Schilt won. Watching a fighter who has mastered how to use his height and reach, compared to Struve, who stood flatfooted easily in Hunt's range, was pretty ridiculous.

Struve was really good against Miocic. He has it in him but can't put it together consistently, he just doesn't have a great fighters instinct.....shoulda went into basketball

Even if he sucked ass and never made it into the NBA he could be getting paid for his foreign countries busted team and smashing dimes every night in the process.

muddream

Banned
"Jones is better, in my opinion GSP is no good" - Anderson Silva

If he beats Wideman (lol), GSP is going to catch so much shit.

'GOAT' Silver is the last Mohican from the PRIDE era, rooting for the Wideman makes you a racist POS, Canadian coward or some kind of Heel character. Every division ruled by a wrestler and well-spoken, articulate Jon Jons being the most insufferable P4P champ of all time...might as well skip the post fight bonuses and split the cash among the undercard jobbers.

industrian

Before Struve's fight with Hunt I was watching a taped replay of that Glory tournament that Schilt won. Watching a fighter who has mastered how to use his height and reach, compared to Struve, who stood flatfooted easily in Hunt's range, was pretty ridiculous.

You don't even need to "master" it. Just never let them get close enough to force you to cover up and never get backed into a wall. Simple as that. As someone who is 2 metres tall training muay thai in Taiwan with a bunch of featherweights and lightweights, I learnt those lessons very quickly (when you're lacking in skill and speed, you have to.)

industrian

I'm guessing that Riddick Bowe was in debt with Thai and/or Russian gangsters:

http://youtu.be/3obYvgFllxo?t=4m

That was embarrassing to watch.

I just read Dana's quote. It couldn't sound any more like an "I'm taking my ball and going home" statement.

Pretty much. I hope they don't get rid of bonuses, as I feel at this point that it's the only incentive for lower-paid dudes to put on a show.

And for the record, regarding fighter pay, to me it comes down to one thing: you get paid what you deserve, and you should live/train within your means.

I understand that fighters, like all athletes, have a limited career span and are putting their lives and health on the line when they fight, but that's their choice. If you want to make more money then fight better. Win better. And make a name for yourself doing so. You don't have to be cutting Sonnen-eque promos left, right and centre but just get your name out there and have people know who you are and why you deserve bigger fights with bigger money.

But if you don't want to do that shit, or don't have the skill level to do so, then take some advice from Cole Konrad and get a real job.

Hearing lower-level fighters come out with this crap "I don't get paid enough" is like hearing a soccer player in the Scottish Second Division complaining that he doesn't get paid as much as Ronaldo, Rooney or Messi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom